Win tomorrow and we are 2 games out of the 8

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Re: Win tomorrow and we are 2 games out of the 8

Percentage means we are really 3 games out. In the run home I think we will beat North, Carlton, Richmond and Brisbane. That will give us 12 wins and I'm sure most supporters would have taken that at the start of the year. Finals next year are looking a big chance, only problem is in the coming years GWS and GC still have a mountain of first round picks to come so will be difficult to knock them off anytime soon

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Tom_Sainter wrote:Percentage means we are really 3 games out. In the run home I think we will beat North, Carlton, Richmond and Brisbane. That will give us 12 wins and I'm sure most supporters would have taken that at the start of the year. Finals next year are looking a big chance, only problem is in the coming years GWS and GC still have a mountain of first round picks to come so will be difficult to knock them off anytime soon
Plus if we finish in the middle 6 on the ladder then we are going to get a harder FIXture next year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The scenario is most likely this…

North should beat Collingwood, but lose to Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Sydney and GWS. Excluding the St Kilda game North are 11-10.

Port should beat Brisbane and Melbourne, but lose to Sydney, GWS and Adelaide. Gold Coast at Metricon is 50-50. Lose that and they’ll finish 10-12.

St Kilda should beat Carlton, Richmond and Brisbane, but lose to Bulldogs and Sydney. Excluding the North game St Kilda are 11-10.

So if results go as expected, the winner of St Kilda vs North Melbourne finishes 8th, providing Gold Coast beat Port. Port win, it comes down to percentage, which favours them.

In short, St Kilda need to win a minimum of three more games. Do that, North win no more and Port win two or less, we play finals.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coast won't win another game this year. No Ablett and Rischitelli. Can't beat Port for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Playon
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:The scenario is most likely this…

North should beat Collingwood, but lose to Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Sydney and GWS. Excluding the St Kilda game North are 11-10.

Port should beat Brisbane and Melbourne, but lose to Sydney, GWS and Adelaide. Gold Coast at Metricon is 50-50. Lose that and they’ll finish 10-12.

St Kilda should beat Carlton, Richmond and Brisbane, but lose to Bulldogs and Sydney. Excluding the North game St Kilda are 11-10.

So if results go as expected, the winner of St Kilda vs North Melbourne finishes 8th, providing Gold Coast beat Port. Port win, it comes down to percentage, which favours them.

In short, St Kilda need to win a minimum of three more games. Do that, North win no more and Port win two or less, we play finals.
Well I'm not convinced yet that we can't beat North but would require us to play our best footy. they've fallen in a hole and our inconsistencies make it difficult to pick.We need to keep winning and its up to them to keep losing.

So have we improved since we played them last?

It almost seems unbelievable to be considering finals, pinch me when we get there

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

On your predictions we are 12-10 if we beat North, so we would still be a game ahead of Port if they beat the Suns.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
citywest

It all comes down to this weeks game against the dogs. It is our Elimination Final. If we win we will play finals IMHO because with this win under our belts we will also roll North the following week. Which incidentally is North's home game but at Etihad Stadium. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote:

On your predictions we are 12-10 if we beat North, so we would still be a game ahead of Port if they beat the Suns.
Good point. If we simply win more games than Port from here, we finish above them.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Both North Melbourne and Port Adelaide are better sides than us - this year. With Carlisle at CHB and a fit Freeman playing at his potential they may not be in 2017. Same with Richmond.
We should go okay against the Bulldogs, but really don't think we can win it. They played in Cairns on Saturday so the tropics may have taken a bit out of them and I expect us to remain competitive.
North should easily account for Collingwood on Friday night. North don't usually lose games they should win against lowly sides.
I think we have done very well to have won as many as we have already.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't worry too much about finals. Just try to win every game. Of course if the opportunity presents itself then take it. Let's face it, no one expected it of St Kilda this season. Least of all the fans

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Both North Melbourne and Port Adelaide are better sides than us - this year. With Carlisle at CHB and a fit Freeman playing at his potential they may not be in 2017. Same with Richmond.
We should go okay against the Bulldogs, but really don't think we can win it. They played in Cairns on Saturday so the tropics may have taken a bit out of them and I expect us to remain competitive.
North should easily account for Collingwood on Friday night. North don't usually lose games they should win against lowly sides.
I think we have done very well to have won as many as we have already.
Agree 100% to be honest it is just refreshing to be in with a mathematical chance however would be shocked if we did get in. Even if we finish outside the 8 a strong finish is important, I remember we finished 2003 really strongly even though we missed the finals and that translated to a blistering start in 2004, additionally if we miss the 8 we will get an easier draw next year. If we can win 3-4 more games this year its been a hugely sucessfull year, the only blight those horrible away games.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Again, we have not won 3 games in a row since 2012 I believe, and people think we are going to have this massive form consistency out of nowhere for 8 rounds in a row (if you include the last 2 wins). It ain't going to happen, but saying that the really big games left for us are the next two weeks.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Again, we have not won 3 games in a row since 2012 I believe, and people think we are going to have this massive form consistency out of nowhere for 8 rounds in a row (if you include the last 2 wins). It ain't going to happen, but saying that the really big games left for us are the next two weeks.
We've won six out of the last eight. It's not such a stretch to say we can win four of our next six.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
supersaints
Club Player

Actually think the pies will roll North this week, I think North are really feeling the pressure they rely too much on Goldstien who has to be injured atm. If we can play our best footy we will be some possibility of rolling them. Either way this weekend will be finals like pressure and good experience mooobing forward. Our best is good enough. As I have said before if we are prepared to work harder than our opponents we have a very good chance of victory.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
George27
Club Player

It is great to be in the conversation. Last night on 360 the lead story was the reopening of the 8, with NM on the slide and Port and us as the legitimate challengers. Accepted as a given that we are entitled to be there, ahead of Rich, Coll, Carl, Melb. Robbo even said he liked our style of footy. We are still a long way short of the top echelon,but overall the progression this year has been encouraging.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We won against the Dee's due to pressure acts and high pressure footy that resulted in turnover possession like the Cats game.

Can we back it up this week against the Dogs?

One of the keys is Nate Wright, our human cannonball, being fit. He's a bit of barometer for that "style" of footy which is what will get us across the line in big games

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The most important thing is that we finish this season better than last when we bowed out with tail between the legs, the victims of a couple of floggings

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I see in the HS that Champion Data rate us a 6% chance of making the 8, this equates to odds of 16-1

The TAB is offering $21 or 20-1, a touch of overs

I think I might have something on at that price

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
stkfc1
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:We won against the Dee's due to pressure acts and high pressure footy that resulted in turnover possession like the Cats game.
Can we back it up this week against the Dogs?

One of the keys is Nate Wright, our human cannonball, being fit. He's a bit of barometer for that "style" of footy which is what will get us across the line in big games
Need Wright and Mav to shut down Johanissen and co with their run off halfback. Wright good match up for Jojo. Also need to keep Wood accountable, can't have him peeling off taking intercept marks like last time we played them. Need to keep our forwards as one on one as possible. Stringer,Campbell, Adams all out are good for us. Hickey should have the ascendancy in the ruck and we'll need that first use. Im quietly confident about this one. Doggies havnt been as good lately. Think injuries could be catching up with them now.

The_President
Club Player

Gold Coast
Hawks
North

Damn.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

No.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:Gold Coast
Hawks
North

Damn.
I'm not worried about the Norf & Hawks games. At least we played at our best.

I'm still worried about our interstate issues, regardless of what happens from here on in. I'm not sure how the club can tackle it for next season. Maybe we need a month intestate or something during the pre season.

We are not Collingwood and guaranteed of only 5 interstate games each year!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Its always great to be in with a shout of a top eight finish, and this season (inconsistent as it has been) reminds me VERY much of 2003, when we turned a corner in performances toward season's end. Realistically, we are not top 8 material, but by the same token, all we can do is win games, and if other results have a bearing, then (IMHO) "stranger things have occurred". I for one, have found reasons to be quietly optimistic about our prospects going forward. (one week at a time)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

saintspremiers wrote:We won against the Dee's due to pressure acts and high pressure footy that resulted in turnover possession like the Cats game.
Wright is a bit light in the body .... so I see him as more like a harasser/gadfly than a human cannonball -- which is still okay. You can still get turn-overs that way.
Anyway, I think we are well stocked with several genuine human cannonballs.
I'd like to see Wright concentrate on putting his whippet-like body to its intended use - which is to provide valuable run and dash to break lines.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:It is great to be in the conversation. Last night on 360 the lead story was the reopening of the 8, with NM on the slide and Port and us as the legitimate challengers. Accepted as a given that we are entitled to be there, ahead of Rich, Coll, Carl, Melb. Robbo even said he liked our style of footy. We are still a long way short of the top echelon,but overall the progression this year has been encouraging.

360 and that fat head Robbo are a joke.

Had us playing Collingwood in round 21.