Logan Austin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Logan Austin

Did a good job... Hopefully he shows enough in the next three weeks to keep Brown out...
We really need to develop younger players.. If Austin does not show he can play this year it is another wasted draft pick. He is already 22.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:40pm I actually think Brown is a very good football player.
Seems like a great guy and is clearly a good athlete, but I don't think he is a very good footballer.

The fundamentals of the game, marking & kicking he is very limited.

He's a good athlete and professional spoiler, but modern football needs players who can do the job both ways all over the ground, just absurd that we are running with a full time negator at full back in 2018.

Collingwood preferred to go with a shorter and older Lynden Dunn than Brown, think about that for a moment.

In just his 14th game, Austin had 5 more disposals than Brown has ever managed in 161 games, and took 8 marks which Brown has only done 4 times in his career.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 9:02pm
congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:40pm I actually think Brown is a very good football player.
Seems like a great guy and is clearly a good athlete, but I don't think he is a very good footballer.

The fundamentals of the game, marking & kicking he is very limited.

He's a good athlete and professional spoiler, but modern football needs players who can do the job both ways all over the ground, just absurd that we are running with a full time negator at full back in 2018.

Collingwood preferred to go with a shorter and older Lynden Dunn than Brown, think about that for a moment.

In just his 14th game, Austin had 5 more disposals than Brown has ever managed in 161 games, and took 8 marks which Brown has only done 4 times in his career.
Add to this our captain, a fantastic athlete, who gets to run around at will collecting useless possessions He has become a professional finger pointer.
Isnt he our best defensive negator. FFS. Cant he go back to just nullifying the best small forward and stay in the back fifty as goal keepwr.

To the top
SS Life Member

The question I have is that last week and this a mid sized forward has kicked a match winning 6 goals against us

So where is responsibility?

My info from the inner sanctums of Port Adelaide are that Austin has ability but needed to put in some weight to cement a spot at full back

From what I have seen this morning the assessment of ability seems accurate - and there was no bigger match up forward so there is a question that remains

In these days of all players hunting the ball there is a lot of richoche football being played and the reason why every player must be able to use the ball and to run and spread - and use the ball with hand and with foot in heavy traffic

Plus pace - to close down and to create

And fitness, obviously

St Kilda since the Lyon days and still seem to rely on role players and zones hence some of the players we continue to select despite the game having gone past them

Austin may just reduce by 1 these antiquated role and zone players and assist in transitioning St Kilda to the contemporary game

saynta
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:26pm Seriously. What is the plan?
Are were trying to create a premiership team?
Our backline should be something like:

Geary Austin Rice
Webster Carlisle White

What is the point of playing Nate Brown? With all due respect.
Is Richo planning for the future or coaching just to hold his job?
Good post

To the top
SS Life Member

Webster got a lot of the ball and his usage appeared fair

Geary got a lot of the ball - but there was no dash and drive across the lines

These were our most experienced player and another who is transitioning to mid career

Past that young Clark appeared to be back there

I agree the assessment of Geary who to me positions in a space and then commences to point the finger whilst he goes to any contest absent an opponent

So he stands in gaps - the old zone and then whilst having endurance at pre season sessions does not have the required pace - or disposal which turns defence into attack

Hence my question as to who has had the responsibility for those 2 players who have each kicked a match winning 6 goals apiece over the last 2 weeks ripping match winning positions from us

And what was the Free against impressive Hickey that cost a goal at a vital period?

And on Hickey that follow up from the centre clearance creating a goal for Gresham - no stat but that is the requirement in today's AFL

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Someone, Gresham I think blocked the opposing ruckman.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 9:59pm Someone, Gresham I think blocked the opposing ruckman.
Didnt another player compete with Hickey though. I might be wrong. IF Gresh didnt block would the free have gone the other way?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 10:03pm
saynta wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 9:59pm Someone, Gresham I think blocked the opposing ruckman.
Didnt another player compete with Hickey though. I might be wrong. IF Gresh didnt block would the free have gone the other way?
I don' t remember another infringement in that incident so,no.

congorozides
Club Player

Austin. Would boof.
Last edited by congorozides on Sun 27 May 2018 12:22am, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Vlaustin nominated for ruck (weird), I think it was a mistake by Gresh and he was manning up, not realising Vlaustin was nominated ruck and got done for a block

saynta
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 10:18pm All academic now.
Carlisle is looking at 4 weeks on the sidelines so we will need Brown in.
Rubbish

one point
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 10:35pm
Vlaustin nominated for ruck (weird), I think it was a mistake by Gresh and he was manning up, not realising Vlaustin was nominated ruck and got done for a block
Agree. That's what I saw happen

To the top
SS Life Member

Thanks.

Was scratching my head as to the reason

What that incident highlighted was just what rubbish changes have been made to the Rules

So where is responsibility for the successive 6 goal match winning hauls against us?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 10:50pm
congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 10:18pm All academic now.
Carlisle is looking at 4 weeks on the sidelines so we will need Brown in.
Rubbish
Brown is out for 4 so he won't be replacing Carlisle.

Real saints supporters 101 that info.

Get real Con or con or ? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 9:21pm y info from the inner sanctums of Port Adelaide are that Austin has ability but needed to put in some weight to cement a spot at full back
From what I have seen this morning the assessment of ability seems accurate - and there was no bigger match up forward so there is a question that remains
WCE has a few tall forwards next week. We'll see how he goes then. Hopefully it's a good showing.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 12:20am Thanks.

What that incident highlighted was just what rubbish changes have been made to the Rules

So where is responsibility for the successive 6 goal match winning hauls against us?
They're not playing a man on man defence, so the responsibility is shared across the whole unit rather than a single player. I assume you are wanting to blame geary for both bags of 6?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I just don’t know why it has to be one extreme or the other with a player like Brown...

He should def be on the list, is generally more suited to the power marking types.
That said he doesn’t need to play every single week and it’s ok to play guys like Austin without Nathan or Jake having to get injured

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 11:02am I just don’t know why it has to be one extreme or the other with a player like Brown...

He should def be on the list, is generally more suited to the power marking types.
That said he doesn’t need to play every single week and it’s ok to play guys like Austin without Nathan or Jake having to get injured
Sounds good on paper, but the reality is Brown has played every single game before this injury… coaches just can't help playing these guys until it's embarrassing for them > Weller, Armo, Gilbert.

People keep talking about Brown being on the list to stop these huge marking power forwards, but this type of player is basically a myth in todays footy and this is why Paddy is struggling to make an impact… you don't get one-on-one contested marking opportunities in the goal square any more.

Hawkins takes 2.5 contested marks per game and averages 2 goals… do we really need a pure negating player on the list who just stops him and offers no rebound?

I'll take a younger Austin's 8 marks and 23 touches any day, even if does concede a few more goals for the year.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:11am
To the top wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 12:20am Thanks.

They're not playing a man on man defence, so the responsibility is shared across the whole unit rather than a single player. I assume you are wanting to blame geary for both bags of 6?
Seems to be working really well. Possession count is really pleasing.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impressed with Goddard's marking today,

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:26pm Seriously. What is the plan?
Are were trying to create a premiership team?
Our backline should be something like:

Geary Austin Rice
Webster Carlisle White

What is the point of playing Nate Brown? With all due respect.
Is Richo planning for the future or coaching just to hold his job?
Totally agree. Tough backline. Hits hard. Doesn't shirk a contest. Webster and White great kicks off half back.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
silverhalo
Club Player

Really liked Austin's game....as mentioned, playing him instead of Brown essentially gives us an extra player on the ground when you compare their stats. The same way playing Hickey vs Longer gives us an extra player.

I'm really disappointed obviously with how the Saints have performed this year but it might be a blessing in disguise in that we've probably had to blood some young guys earlier than what we normally would have and I really like what I see.

Phillips, Long, Clarke, Coffield, Austin, Marshall, Rice and White all look like 100+ gamers to me and we've still got Freeman and Paton waiting in the wings....all is not lost - onwards and upwards.....fortius quo fidelius!

silverhalo
Club Player

Battle's the other one who shows a bit and can't be far away from coming back in to the side...

chico2001
Club Player

Have to give Brown some credit, instead of big beefy forward kicking 6, they usually only kick 1,2 or 3 goals on him, yes he gains no possessions and not a strong mark but watch how Kennedy, Hogan, Roughhead, Dixon et al, murder the smaller lighter full backs. These guys are big forwards so I dont know where the reasoning is that all forwards are small agile types. Brown should be able to see out the year and then a decision made on his future- If Austin is a better player so be it.
Also this constant promotion of players who get " 23 touches" thats bulls***, geary and co kicking backwards to each other 4 times a quarter while the opposition just sit further up the field waiting for them to move forward and just pick them off. What we want is metres forward measured, good clean kicks and handballs under pressure to a teammate that may or do result in a score. Put a country player in the backline of any AFL club and he will get at least 10 "touches" just by standing on the opposite flank to his team mate who has the ball. "20 touches" equals bulls*** football in my opinion unless the " touches" impact on the teams scoreboard.