Steven swap for Beams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven swap for Beams

perfectionist wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 6:52pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 3:32pm
perfectionist wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:05pm AT LAST - Yippee!
I will never understand your strong dislike of Jack Steven and how it has persevered this long...

At least be like the rational supporters and hate the players that clearly can’t play like Weller, Longer, Newnes, Hickey... the list is endless really.

But Steven? Pbly our best player... and that’s not his fault.

Elaborate please?
Very good at getting possessions, very bad at disposal by hand and foot. And, he is simply not tall and strong enough. Jack was lionised as the player who would lead us to glory. That, as I said about 7 years ago, was rubbish. If he was going to be the best player in our team, it would lead us to the bottom. Skills are everything. The reason Richmond is on top is because Hardwick churned poor disposers, even though some were high possession winners, in order to get a team that rarely turns it over. Beams can kick on both feet - if you can stand it, watch GF2 to see what I mean. He makes the most of his disposals.
I haven’t brought myself to re-watch 1997 yet so pass on that respectfully.

I won’t dispute the above but as our best player or thereabouts why criticise him? He’s been our best mid for 3-5 years... is pbly the closest thing we have to elite.
Ok his skills aren’t elite but we have no one with elite skills... so again, I don’t understand why him?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:37pm
I will never understand your strong dislike of Jack Steven and how it has persevered this long...

At least be like the rational supporters and hate the players that clearly can’t play like Weller, Longer, Newnes, Hickey... the list is endless really.

Elaborate please?
Very good at getting possessions, very bad at disposal by hand and foot. And, he is simply not tall and strong enough. Jack was lionised as the player who would lead us to glory. That, as I said about 7 years ago, was rubbish. If he was going to be the best player in our team, it would lead us to the bottom. Skills are everything. The reason Richmond is on top is because Hardwick churned poor disposers, even though some were high possession winners, in order to get a team that rarely turns it over. Beams can kick on both feet - if you can stand it, watch GF2 to see what I mean. He makes the most of his disposals.

I won’t dispute the above but as our best player or thereabouts why criticise him? He’s been our best mid for 3-5 years... is pbly the closest thing we have to elite.
Ok his skills aren’t elite but we have no one with elite skills... so again, I don’t understand why him?
Because I want to see an f****** Saints flag before I die and he will never be part of it. How hard is that to understand?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

When Steven's our worst player, we'll be laughing.

guitars4
Club Player

Elaborate please?
Went to the 1997 Granny cried for 21 days never watched a replay & don't want to & because of the

Went to the 1997 granny still scarred ,still tear up when I think about it & even though I love the Saints like my own family doubt I could ever go & watch another one . I agree Dane Beams played well in the repeat Granny in 2010 dont think he is the same player today as he was back then but still pretty handy but as the last poster has said Jack is the closest we have to being elite even though he's not but unfortunately that's where we're at

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:56pm

Elaborate please?

Because I want to see an f****** Saints flag before I die and he will never be part of it. How hard is that to understand?
See you think you’re bring clear but you’re really not.

Why not direct the same vitriol at say Armitage?
Surely you’d agree that Jack has been better than David? Ross, Billings, Dunstan, Sinclair, Newnes?

Why Jack, the clearly best one?

takeaway
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:49pm Ok you don't agree either well maybe I am insane :oops:
If you read my post again, I actually agree with you. No doubt Steven is well ahead of Beams.
The whole scenario is most likely a non event anyway.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Alas, you seem incapable of understanding the point I was making, or you are simply prolonging the thread - a common tactic here. So, end discussion. He's a dud.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 10:59pm Alas, you seem incapable of understanding the point I was making, or you are simply prolonging the thread - a common tactic here. So, end discussion. He's a dud.
I’m not trying to wind you up perfectionist... I really just don’t understand, I’d be interested to see if anybody else gets it.

It’s a simple question. Is he better or worse then Armitage?

guitars4
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 10:58pm
guitars4 wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:49pm Ok you don't agree either well maybe I am insane :oops:
If you read my post again, I actually agree with you. No doubt Steven is well ahead of Beams.
The whole scenario is most likely a non event anyway.
Sorry mate thought you were reitterating the same post in support of the previous poster obviously I misread it but now I see you were on my side