On Borrowed Time - Sorry, Another Richo Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: On Borrowed Time - Sorry, Another Richo Thread

Does the Fugitive Soldier live on an earth that is flat ?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

No, the flat earthers are the ones who believe a new coach will make all the difference - and that we can continue recruiting/gambling the way we have been over the last 10-12 years - it's fitting that Gamble was one of our picks.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 29 Sep 2018 10:47am, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 10:43am No, the flat earthers are the ones who believe a new coach will make all the difference - and that we can continue recruiting the way we have been.
I'm not a flat earther, but played a fair bit of footy in my younger days under different coaches, and if you reckon coaches don't make a difference, then you probably need to get out a bit more :D

samoht
Saintsational Legend

You must have a flat earth theory for how Buckley has become a genius coach all of a sudden - and how Steele, Roberton, Membrey, etc... are playing their best football with us ("were" in Roberton's case)

Coaches make a 1% difference ... we need to improve our recruiting and get the 99% working for us. Collingwood didn't change their coach, they kept getting their recruiting right, year by year, relative to us.
Those of us who live on a spherical planet realise this.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Did you watch the game against the Kangaroos in round 2 or that pitiful coaching display against the Cats? The signs were there that the coaching is in disarray. In round 23 in the last home away game against the Roos, I saw us line up with only 2 forwards after a goal was scored. Mind you we were 3-4 goals behind... I don't care if we have the best kicks coming out of the centre and the 2 best forwards in the league, you won't win games of footy with a gameplan like that?

Anyhow, we will get a feel for how the team performs very early next year. I expect us to finish bottom 4 again.

I am assuming we get Hannebery, Kent, and a couple of other lesser lights. Where do you think we'll finish?

If we get Dylan Shiel plus the above and we don't lose any of Bruce, Steven, Acres or Hickey, I still think the best we'll do under Richo is bottom 6. If we get Shiel and don't lose our best players where do you think we can finish under Richo as head coach?

More importantly, I think if we don't challenge for a spot in the top 8 or get close, then he should go. He has escaped srutiny and the review should have firstly assessed the head coach. It didn't?

Forget about excuses. How can you take a football club seriously when they fail to look at how Richo has had a positive OR negative impact on players' development and therefore how has Richo made the Saints a competitive outfit and how has he improved the onfield team performance in the last 2-3 years?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

You can see anything at all through the prism you want to, point to it and say, “See, I’m right”. If someone wants to put recruiting at the apex of the triangle then everything can and will be seen through that. There is for sure a degree of fundamentalism with Samoht. Won’t even entertain the notion that it’s not all about recruiting. People will cling to their own perspective, no matter what the evidence. You only have to look at the US polls and see that 41% of Americans believe Trump is doing a good job to be astonished by what people will cling to as their truth. All this stuff about coaches having an impact - all this stuff about Beverage, Hardwick and Buckley being at the helm of a massive shift in club culture and performance - it’s all fake news. It was the recruiting all along.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 10:51am You must have a flat earth theory for how Buckley has become a genius coach all of a sudden - and how Steele, Roberton, Membrey, etc... are playing their best football with us ("were" in Roberton's case)

Coaches make a 1% difference ... we need to improve our recruiting and get the 99% working for us. Collingwood didn't change their coach, they kept getting their recruiting right, year by year, relative to us.
Who says Buckley is a genius coach?
But he’s never been as ordinary after 5 years as Alan
Keep sticking your head in the sand but you still haven’t told us why Alan is a good coach ???

“Yeah….nah””
saintadamski
Club Player

I don't believe for a second that Richo is a good coach.
But if you think ANY coach could win a flag with
Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Hickey
Savage
Dunstan
Sinclair
Lonie
Geary etc

You truly do believe the earth is flat.

There are 2 things at play here.
A s*** coach, and a f*cking awful list.

But in terms of what's making more of an impact... I say list.

Buckley, Hardwick, and Scott at Geelong are prime examples of this.

BenLong#21
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 1:38pm I don't believe for a second that Richo is a good coach.
But if you think ANY coach could win a flag with
Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Hickey
Savage
Dunstan
Sinclair
Lonie
Geary etc

You truly do believe the earth is flat.

There are 2 things at play here.
A s*** coach, and a f*cking awful list.

But in terms of what's making more of an impact... I say list.

Buckley, Hardwick, and Scott at Geelong are prime examples of this.
Richo has had 5 years to shape the list.
He over rates many on our list.
The Cho follows trends. He is 3 years behind.
Last edited by BenLong#21 on Sat 29 Sep 2018 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenLong#21
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 10:51am You must have a flat earth theory for how Buckley has become a genius coach all of a sudden - and how Steele, Roberton, Membrey, etc... are playing their best football with us ("were" in Roberton's case)

Nobody has called Buckley a genius. Nobody.
He is above average.
The Cho is well below average. Well below.

The Pies won a flag in 2010 and then played off in a GF in 2011. They are back in another one 7 years later.
A good effort.

Flat earth is to shove your head in the sand and pretend 4 wins in year 5 is ok.

The players you mention all improve simply due to their age.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This doesn’t prove that Richo is a good coach.

His 33% win rate does without a doubt does prove that he is a loser and a spud.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

It's like trying to determine who the best jockey is, when one is riding a champion racehorse and the other one is riding an also ran or a donkey - and blaming the jockey on the also ran/donkey for not winning races.
It's not a level playing field - our recruiting has been well below average.

The only way to gauge our coach and environment vs other teams is via Steele, Membrey, Roberton, etc.. --- by asking how they are performing with us compared to how they performed with their previous teams? That's a much more sensible and meaningful way to compare, if you're going to compare at all.

All the players that have come to us from other teams are actually doing just as well and in some cases a fair bit better with us.
We just need to recruit a couple of skillful and healthy A graders (not a banged-up Hannebury), and have some luck with injuries next year - and we will start improving in a big way.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 6:45pm It's like trying to determine who the best jockey is, when one is riding a champion racehorse and the other one is riding an also ran or a donkey - and blaming the jockey on the also ran/donkey for not winning races.
It's not a level playing field - our recruiting has been well below average.

It's not F1 racing where you're driving virtually the same performing machines - and even there one team always has a slight design edge over the other and manages to squeeze a fraction of a second per lap, gets a couple of more hp our of their engine or uses slightly better tyres, to help give their drivers the edge.

In our case, it's not a fraction of a second difference - we are miles behind the stronger teams, who keep getting stronger than us, year by year, due to their better/smarter recruiting.

The only way to gauge our coach and environment vs other teams is via Steele, Membrey, Roberton, etc.. --- by asking how they are performing with us compared to how they performed with their previous teams? That's a much more sensible and meaningful way to compare, if you're going to compare at all.

All the players that have come to us from other teams are actually doing just as well and in some cases a fair bit better with us.
We just need to recruit a couple of skillful and healthy A graders (not a banged-up Hannebury), and have some luck with injuries next year - and we will start improving in a big way.
See my post above. Seriously has blinkers on....

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I've said what I had to say on the subject. Have a good evening, gents.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

We won the clearances once in our first ten games. That was with early draft picks like Acres, Billings, Clark and Coffield getting zero time in centre, since Richo knows better. Round 11, against the now-premiers, we play Clark in the centre and, coincidentally, win the clearances and the contested ball. What does Richo do? Moves Clark out of the middle to make way for Luke Dunstan. What happens next? We have one of the most insipid midfield displays I can remember seeing against Sydney. The response to that game? We bring in Billy Longer. True story.

The way Richo selected our midfield this year says to me he was quite content being bad in the middle. Our transition has been arguably worse. He constantly talks about being brave and taking the game on, but that seems to translate to playing on into pressure and bombing the ball haphazardly. It's been this way for years, and the worst culprits get auto-selected, so I can only assume that he's happy seeing us sky the ball into an outnumber from a pressured kick. I don't know how else you select Newnes literally every week for five consecutive non-finals seasons.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
BenLong#21
Club Player

Steele Membrey and Roberton we got at 20 or 21.
Of course they are better at 22,23,25.

Plus it's a team game. Simpson is batting at 64% wins after 5 seasons.
He has one flag and one runner up.
He is a good coach.
That's how it works. That's how we judge.
Actual performance.
Not imaginary hypotheticals.
33% is 33%.
Last edited by BenLong#21 on Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

all these silly sporting teams all over the world paying senior coaches so much money.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samoht
Saintsational Legend

I'm not saying Richo is a good coach. What I'm saying is we really, really need to improve our recruiting. Hannebury 2018 version, Lycett, Menzel ,,,, why are we continuing to look at list cloggers??
Last edited by samoht on Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenLong#21
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:40pm all these silly sporting teams all over the world paying senior coaches so much money.
According to some posters above coaches have no impact.
We might as well save money and install a vacuum cleaner as coach.

BenLong#21
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:42pm I'm not saying Richo is a good coach. What I'm saying is we really, really need to improve our recruiting. Hannebury, Lycett, Menzel ,,,, why are we continuing to look at list cloggers??
You have been saying richo is a good coach over and over and over again.
You refuse to acknowledge how bad he is.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:40pm Steele Membrey and Roberton we got at 20 or 21.
Of course they are better at 22,23,25.

Plus it's a team game. Simpson is batting at 64% wins after 5 seasons.
He has one flag and one runner up.
He is a good coach.
That's how it works. That's how we judge.
Actual performance.
Not imaginary hypotheticals.
33% is 33%.
And Simpson would only get 33% from our list as well. We are not comparing horses with horses.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

edited...
Last edited by samoht on Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

edited... the same post was duplicated.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:58pm, edited 2 times in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:44pm
samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:42pm I'm not saying Richo is a good coach. What I'm saying is we really, really need to improve our recruiting. Hannebury, Lycett, Menzel ,,,, why are we continuing to look at list cloggers??
You have been saying richo is a good coach over and over and over again.
You refuse to acknowledge how bad he is.
No I haven't. But you must admit that Steele, Roberton and Membrey have become solid players for us, even with Richo as coach.
I said you'll get maybe 1% -5% from a coach ... and 95-99% from smart recruiting, year by year.
We need to improve our recruiting, above all - that's where you'll get much more bang from your buck.
All everyone is talking about is the coach - indicating that everyone is happy with our recruiting.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 29 Sep 2018 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

axcellence
Club Player

Get Mitchell now as the senior coach. It'll be a big signing all the way. Mitchell was critical for Eagles winning.