Changes v WCeagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

Re: Changes v WCeagles

Out:

Long
Joyce
Clark

IN:

Hind
Brown
Dunstan

Long needs a spell and Hind would bring in much needed pace.
Joyce wasn't disgraced but without our 3 best defenders (Geary, Carlisle, Roberton), we are desperate for leadership (and a big body).
Clark again wasn't disgraced but our midfield has been leaking like a sieve recently. Dunstan is defensively very good, gets the hard ball, and puts on blocks for others to get into space.

Ape_Man
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote:
Ape_Man wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 8:31pm
Jacks Back wrote: Looking at 8cres playing predominantly ruck rover with Ross starting elsewhere. Give it a try richo!!!
I would love to see the coaches give this a go.
Something needs to be done, Ross is just far too predictable with his kicking, and it is embarrassing watching our mids at a centre bounce. Any chance they could touch the footy occasionally? Too defensive as a unit, which is the paradox...the oppo just continually waltz out with the ball
I know people think Acres is sometimes slow to dispose of the ball. But I think it is because he raises his eyes and tries to first find the best attacking option.

I think he is quite lethal when he is running forward. It usually ends up with a score.

His score involvements to possession ratio is impressive.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Wed 08 May 2019 12:25pm
barneyboyz wrote:
Jacks Back wrote: Looking at 8cres playing predominantly ruck rover with Ross starting elsewhere. Give it a try richo!!!
Something needs to be done, Ross is just far too predictable with his kicking, and it is embarrassing watching our mids at a centre bounce. Any chance they could touch the footy occasionally? Too defensive as a unit, which is the paradox...the oppo just continually waltz out with the ball
I know people think Acres is sometimes slow to dispose of the ball. But I think it is because he raises his eyes and tries to first find the best attacking option.

I think he is quite lethal when he is running forward. It usually ends up with a score.

Good point.

If you have a mid who is getting it 30 times and is involved in 5 chains of scoring and you have Acres who has 5 score imvolvements with just 15 possessions, wouldn't you give Acres a go in the centre?

Try Acres in the guts for a full game and let's see what he's capable of

We need Acres chasing the footy around where he gets a chance to do more damage to the opposition.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 08 May 2019 2:20pm
barneyboyz wrote:

Good point.

If you have a mid who is getting it 30 times and is involved in 5 chains of scoring and you have Acres who has 5 score imvolvements with just 15 possessions, wouldn't you give Acres a go in the centre?

We need Acres chasing the footy around where he gets a chance to do more damage to the opposition.

Acres has had little time n the middle so your suggestion is a bloody good idea.

From AFL.com.au

"Men in the middle: Jack Steele (151 attendances), Seb Ross (144), Rowan Marshall (115), Jade Gresham (90), Luke Dunstan (53), Jack Steven (50), Hunter Clark (29), Billy Longer (23), Lewis Pierce (21), Jack Sinclair (19), Josh Bruce (17), Blake Acres (12), Matthew Parker (6), Ben Long (5), Jack Billings (4), Josh Battle (1)

Go-to guys: The most commonly used quartet is Marshall, Steele, Ross and Gresham. It's been used 31 times, which makes up 16.8 per cent. Steele and Ross are ball-winners who also put time into stopping their direct opponent while Gresham is more offensively minded.

Most successful starting four: Marshall, Steven, Ross, Steele Clearance record: 6 wins, 2 losses

Ruck and roll: Marshall and Gresham have connected on three occasions this season, the most for St Kilda. That's not overly surprising, considering how talented Gresham is.

Average centre clearance differential: -1.7. Ranked: 15th

Average points from centre bounces differential: -3.4: Ranked: 14th

Analysis: A few months ago, the Saints would have envisaged their centre bounce assembly including Longer, Steven and Hannebery on most occasions. However, Longer has been overtaken by Marshall while Steven (mental health) and Hannebery (hamstrings and calves) have had time on the sidelines. It's an area of the ground they don't have an abundance of established star power in, so their poor rankings probably wouldn't be a great surprise to the club's hierarchy. - Dinny Navaratnam

Ape_Man
Club Player

saynta wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:

Good point.

Acres has had little time n the middle so your suggestion is a bloody good idea.

From AFL.com.au

"Men in the middle: Jack Steele (151 attendances), Seb Ross (144), Rowan Marshall (115), Jade Gresham (90), Luke Dunstan (53), Jack Steven (50), Hunter Clark (29), Billy Longer (23), Lewis Pierce (21), Jack Sinclair (19), Josh Bruce (17), Blake Acres (12), Matthew Parker (6), Ben Long (5), Jack Billings (4), Josh Battle (1)

Go-to guys: The most commonly used quartet is Marshall, Steele, Ross and Gresham. It's been used 31 times, which makes up 16.8 per cent. Steele and Ross are ball-winners who also put time into stopping their direct opponent while Gresham is more offensively minded.

Most successful starting four: Marshall, Steven, Ross, Steele Clearance record: 6 wins, 2 losses

Ruck and roll: Marshall and Gresham have connected on three occasions this season, the most for St Kilda. That's not overly surprising, considering how talented Gresham is.

Analysis: A few months ago, the Saints would have envisaged their centre bounce assembly including Longer, Steven and Hannebery on most occasions. However, Longer has been overtaken by Marshall while Steven (mental health) and Hannebery (hamstrings and calves) have had time on the sidelines. It's an area of the ground they don't have an abundance of established star power in, so their poor rankings probably wouldn't be a great surprise to the club's hierarchy. - Dinny Navaratnam
Thanks for the info.

I guess the majority of Acres starts in the middle would be as a ruckman. But I hope we see him in the middle 12 times in a single game.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:

Good point.

Only Marshall and Steven average more than 5 clearances a game.

Steele and Gresh ave 4.6

Ross 4.3.

We know Hanners can help us out, but we really need to find a player whom can get 6 to 7 clearances a game.

Acres could be it. I just hope we find out someday.

portosaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 08 May 2019 2:46pm
barneyboyz wrote:

Good point.

From AFL.com.au

That number is even lower than I thought! Get Blake in there... Not for a game, give him half a dozen on the trot. Only one way to find out if he can be the weapon some think he can be.

Funny thing is, Blakes physical attributes that makes him a potential midfield weapon are also the same reasons Richo has him pinch hitting everywhere else.

Ape_Man
Club Player

portosaint wrote:
saynta wrote: Wed 08 May 2019 2:46pm
barneyboyz wrote:

Good point.

From AFL.com.au

That number is even lower than I thought! Get Blake in there... Not for a game, give him half a dozen on the trot. Only one way to find out if he can be the weapon some think he can be.

Funny thing is, Blakes physical attributes that makes him a potential midfield weapon are also the same reasons Richo has him pinch hitting everywhere else.
They need to find his position, and quickly.

Reminds me a little on how Goddard was moved everywhere for the first few years.

But, maybe like Goddard, once he has a settled place his nomadic years will be some extra weapons in his arsenal.