Hanners out langlan in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Re: Hanners out langlan in

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 4:18am
saintkid wrote:
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2019 9:24pm
saintkid wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2019 9:16pm Trading away pick 12 in 2012 for Tom Lee (who Bains and Elshaug claimed was a gun forward) was a bad one too.
That wasn’t the trade.
I just checked. It was pick 12 we traded away for Lee to GWS and in turn received picks 24 and 43.
So it wasn’t just pick 12 for Lee.
Still, we could have done a lot better than Lee if we kept pick 12. I recall quite a few in the media saying it was surprising we gave up so much, in terms of our first round pick, for an older WAFL forward who hadn't exactly set the world on fire. We really have made some unconventional and risky draft choices over the last 5-6 years and it has reflected on our on-field success.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think we had pick 12 and 13 in the 2012 draft

We ended up with Tom Hickey, Tom Lee, Nathan Wright and Spencer ‘buddy’ White from trading those selections

The slider in that draft was a gun junior SA ruckman, eventually nabbed at pick 18

suss
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 10:42pm I think we had pick 12 and 13 in the 2012 draft

We ended up with Tom Hickey, Tom Lee, Nathan Wright and Spencer ‘buddy’ White from trading those selections

The slider in that draft was a gun junior SA ruckman, eventually nabbed at pick 18
The worst trade period I can remember. What the **** were they thinking.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 11:16pm
B.M wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 10:42pm I think we had pick 12 and 13 in the 2012 draft

The worst trade period I can remember. What the **** were they thinking.
Wasn't that the Pelican's infamous moneyball spreadsheet?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2019 7:44pm Hammers proving an astute trade.
Well done.
Newnes found the photo he stupidly claimed was irretrievably lost the week before.
I heard a song today that reminded me of Newnesy and Cho. Here it is from Newnes' perspective (my interpretations are in brackets):

Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins

I have a picture, Pinned to my wall,
An image of you and of me and we're laughing and loving it all (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Look at our life now, tattered and torn (Saints keep losing and Newnes playing like crap)
We fuss and we fight and delight in the tears that we cry until dawn (after a loss)

Hold me now, warm my heart
Stay with me, let loving start (let loving start) (thanks for putting Newnes back in the team)

You say I'm a dreamer, we're two of a kind
Both of us searching for some perfect world we know we'll never find (like Cho staying as coach and Newnes not getting traded)

So perhaps I should leave here, yeah yeah go far away (we can only wish)
But you know that there's no where that I'd rather be than with you here today (puke)

Stay with me, let loving start (let loving start) (okay we get the picture)

You ask if I love you, well what can I say?
You know that I do and if this is just one of those games that we play (where we lose again)

So I'll sing you a new song, please don't cry anymore, (Newnes wants to play well in this match)
And then I'll ask your forgiveness, though I don't know just what I'm asking it for. (Cos he's got the picture still)

Stay with me, let loving start (let loving start) (okay, okay - PUKE)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Great listening to '80's tunes

I used to like that song but don't think it'll ever be the same for me :cry:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 1:00pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 1:42am
He’s entirely hamstrung by the optics of a $12M debt. And Finnis’ ridiculous 2yr extension. As soon as he can punt him without financial implication .. he will.

That plus the clause in Richo's contract on winning a final this year as a trigger. This means exiting him now would be extremely expensive as they would have to pay him out as if he had of achieved the trigger.

This means that the club cannot announce that he is going until it is mathematically impossible that we cannot make the 8, and this would with the current ladder going to take some time to occur.

This "Dead Man Walking" situation is a most unhealthy state to be in.

I am troubled though if Scott becomes the replacement. I just see that as continuing the "death roll".

We need a new coach who does not have the stink of failure about him.
Could not have said it better
A Scott appointment and we are royally stuffed - the guys done f’all but sook in the box when gets a bad umpiring call
I genuinely fear for our future we have made some monumental dumb decisions

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Pelchin is who I hold mostly responsible for this mess, (Richardson, Lyon, Elshaug also)

He was backed to the hilt by most supporters who couldn’t see the wolf in sheep’s clothing.
Ultimately he was sacked when StK admin realised he was an egomaniac who was full of S***
But that was too late.

Why Elshaug
The 2014 draft, his other drafts have been ok, but this draft at the bottom of the rebuild had to be our 2001 draft. It was a total disaster, who would have thought 12 months ago Jack Lonie (a 174 cm Forward pocket) would be best player selected. I do remember some lauding this draft, I also know some made objections at the time.

Why Richardson
I honestly don’t think he’s as horrendous as supporters think. We improved markedly in 16/17 so if he is the reason we are so bad now, surely he is the reason we were good in those years? Well no, the influence of Riewoldt and Montagna whilst Steven and Armitage were at the top of their game. We also had a good run with injuries. The manic pressure game plan worked well but there needs to be more to offence than mid turn overs, we were still scored against to easily. This year he changed from run and gun to slow down the line purely to keep scoring low. But we cannot score.
My problem with Alan is tactical, we have never found a good balance of fast and slow, offense and it’s either scoring withou5 defending or defending without scoring. And he’s never solved our number one issue, last kick I50.

Why Lyon?
Armitage, Steven, Lynch, Stanley... he played plodders as role players instead of talented youth. Lack of development hurt big time. But hey, he was supported big time because we were contending. Who cared about development, let’s put all our eggs in one basket. Collingwood in those years showed you can win a flag, and have young players in the team.
Lyon just did not trust kids to do a job.
He also cost us Luke Ball or any compensation for Luke Ball due to his own ego.
Last edited by B.M on Sun 07 Jul 2019 1:43am, edited 1 time in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Teflon wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 1:27am
saintsRrising wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 1:00pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 1:42am
He’s entirely hamstrung by the optics of a $12M debt. And Finnis’ ridiculous 2yr extension. As soon as he can punt him without financial implication .. he will.

That plus the clause in Richo's contract on winning a final this year as a trigger. This means exiting him now would be extremely expensive as they would have to pay him out as if he had of achieved the trigger.

This means that the club cannot announce that he is going until it is mathematically impossible that we cannot make the 8, and this would with the current ladder going to take some time to occur.

This "Dead Man Walking" situation is a most unhealthy state to be in.

I am troubled though if Scott becomes the replacement. I just see that as continuing the "death roll".

We need a new coach who does not have the stink of failure about him.
Could not have said it better
A Scott appointment and we are royally stuffed - the guys done f’all but sook in the box when gets a bad umpiring call
I genuinely fear for our future we have made some monumental dumb decisions
Yes, but wouldn't it be such a Saints move
to offer a huge 5 yr contract to Scott.
It's how the club rolls.

If every AFL club was investing in investment properties, we'd go and buy Housing Commission houses in Doveton. That's how bad they are with judgement.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee