Lessons from the Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lessons from the Blues

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:16am
evertonfc wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:55pm
I don’t blame Billings for looking forward to a holiday, as any employee would.
I didn't take it as him looking forward to a holiday.

I took it that it's been a shitty year and he wants it to be over.

It started with McCartin, Carlisle and Roberton going down - then just pretty much got worse from there.
We were a kick off 5-0.
As a supporter I lost interest by about round 7. I don't blame the players for wanting this season over.
We were still 4-3 at that point.

TBH, I am only really interested in cultivating a win-at-all-costs attitude in this football club, and that includes going right to the final siren on the last second of the last match of the year.

And starts again the following Monday.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 6:39pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:34am
bigcarl wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 2:09am Forward line needs work. We simply do not have enough reliable avenues to goal.

Bruce gives it everything, but too often it’s not the percentage play to kick to him.

When he’s being well beaten like yesterday, we really need alternatives.

I can see why Carlisle was moved forward. That was worth a shot. Battle would be another option.
Our total scores this year :
21 games : 76 points or less 16 times.

Between 68 and 73 points : 12 times
That is an alarming stat. If Ratts gets the gig full time - and I hope he does - our inability to hit the scoreboard has to be the priority fix.
If you're right that that's our priority surely he won't be appointed.

theoracle
Club Player

St Loxton wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 7:40pm Members kicks that goal, and therefore they don't get that fast goal 30 seconds later.
That was the game, we would of held and won.
Totally correct. That miss, 20 metres out directly in front with zero wind, was pivotal. I don't subscribe to single moments losing games unless they happen in the last minute, but that moment swung the game.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:34am
bigcarl wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 2:09am Forward line needs work. We simply do not have enough reliable avenues to goal.

Bruce gives it everything, but too often it’s not the percentage play to kick to him.

When he’s being well beaten like yesterday, we really need alternatives.

I can see why Carlisle was moved forward. That was worth a shot. Battle would be another option.
Our total scores this year :
21 games : 76 points or less 16 times.

Between 68 and 73 points : 12 times
Our highest score so far this year is 116. That is our lowest "highest" score since 1974.

spert
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 8:22pm Good summary OP.

Except I thought Kruezer obliterated Marshall.

That’s so annoying because Kruezer is slow, awkward and can’t turn. And yet, he got on top in the middle, and Marshall mistimed his leap over and over.

Kruezer took key marks, made big contests and as much as I don’t rate him, he schooled Marshall today. So excruciating to see that unfold.

Has upped our need to find a ruckman who can teach him how to ruck.
I thought Teague used Kruezer better than Ratts used Roma, and positioned him in the hot spot to stop the ball rebounding out of their forward half later in the game with our dodgy bombs. Generally I thought a big problem was our guys were very slow to move the ball by foot and missed multiple opportunities to give the ball to teammates in the clear- I think a lot of this is due to players like Seb, Dunstan and Acres for example who clearly don't have good enough footskills to pinpoint teammates, so hold on to the ball too long. Much of our ball movement ended up going to marking contests once our guys were covered. We really need more class in the midfield.

barneyboyz
Club Player

St Loxton wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 7:40pm Members kicks that goal, and therefore they don't get that fast goal 30 seconds later.
How does the most accurate kicker of the ball in 2019 miss from 15 - 20m? It broke me, so no wonder it stopped the team in it's tracks!!!

No good being a 50 goal a season player, if you miss the ones that count

And, Carlton turned up to play. You could see that it hurt Ratten, right in the guts

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

theoracle wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2019 10:57am
Totally correct. That miss, 20 metres out directly in front with zero wind, was pivotal. I don't subscribe to single moments losing games unless they happen in the last minute, but that moment swung the game.
+1