Carlisle on trade table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle on trade table

I would call this a beat up from the manager trying to negotiate a couple more years on decent coin.

The following is purely, PURELY my own opinion.

This guy owes us. Big time. Carried through his f****** drug suspension, plus his independent knuckle snorting effort.

At best I would be offering 50% of whatever he has been on with a massive performance based component.

Happy to see what happens. Our list is s***. Gotta do what it takes.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
asiu
Saintsational Legend

good

bye jake

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I was told 6 weeks ago that his manager had received interest from Essendon to go back
BUT he was happy to stay a Saint and enjoyed being there.

Incidentally I was also told he only played his first game when he did as he needed to play a certain number of games to trigger his 2020 clause.
(something incidentally which makes me question the amount of Hannerbury's alleged pay this season as bandied about on this forum)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know if Luke Penny's knee has mended?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
groupie1
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 7:52pm I cut him some slack because of his injury.

With Brown approaching retirement we have no other gorillas in the backline and they're hard to get.

Why throw him away? And keep a whole platoon of battlers?

It's like trading away McEvoy, Stanley and Hickey.
Thing is... Brown is only 30. With Wilkie, Clav... maybe keeping Brown (cheaper) and trading Carlisle is smart.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 8:26pm Good ball users?

He marks uncontested in the d50

Turns sideways and kicks 20m toward the boundary... and he f***ed that twice kicking off one step, because he’s lazy.

If you’d actually watched a game, Carlisle is a terrific kick.

You are just a massive hater.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 7:09am
B.M wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 8:26pm Good ball users?

He marks uncontested in the d50

Turns sideways and kicks 20m toward the boundary... and he f***ed that twice kicking off one step, because he’s lazy.

If you’d actually watched a game, Carlisle is a terrific kick.

You are just a massive hater.
I agree, but he has the shyts up.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Channel 7 reporting Bruce, Jake up for trade and Stuv a certainty to go to the cats

If those all come to fruition then we are back to square 1 in rebuild mode but it really makes you question the strategy given the contracts to Newnes, dmac et al

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

I would be pretty sad to lose Bruce - he’s been terrific this year and is my two sons (who have just pledged allegiance to the saints) favourite player. Could be a diabolical move in my household

#1 Ryder fan
BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 12:08am He just wants to zone off and take uncontested intercept marks, like McGovern.

But gets burned by his opponent, but unlike Gov, he can’t defend one on one.
I don't think it's necessarily that he wants to. He's instructed to. That's his job.

Riewoldt described him as 'St Kilda's version of Alex Rance' when he went down injured.

That's his role.

His defensive side has been killed this year due to his reduced mobility. That was his strength - and he's lost it.

diddley
Club Player

My biggest question, is if he was to be traded, what is he worth? Picks, players or both? No point putting him on table for nothing.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:51am Channel 7 reporting Bruce, Jake up for trade and Stuv a certainty to go to the cats

If those all come to fruition then we are back to square 1 in rebuild mode but it really makes you question the strategy given the contracts to Newnes, dmac et al

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

I would be pretty sad to lose Bruce - he’s been terrific this year and is my two sons (who have just pledged allegiance to the saints) favourite player. Could be a diabolical move in my household
Interesting if Josh Bruce is also on the table. What would be the strategy behind that? Max King will surely fill a tall key forward post, we have Members.....maybe Battle is being thought of as a forward option again.

With our draft picks and trading situation, we have to be prepared to give to get and maybe Bruce is part of that equation.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Clarko will pick up Carlisle for a third round pick.

Clarko laughs at clubs that can't control players who aren't choirboys.

Clarko will turn Carlisle back into a terrific defender and impressive finals contributor.

Meanwhile, at least we've saved Newnes and DMac from being poached.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Carlisle is going nowhere and dumb to want him to move. He is our best back and needs the right coach to motivate him. Is he lazy? Rrally. He is so lazy he worked his arse off from back surgery to get back in the team and tired at the end due to lack of preparation during the season .

Plus remember when he wasn't there years ago. We got smashed weekly. He stays

saintact7
Club Player

Good news, don't like his attitude. Does take some great marks at crucial times but there are also clear occasions where he won't man up, chase and apply pressure.

Looks like he doesn't want to be there. Just hope another club wants him and we can get something of value to get some return on the big (failed) investment in him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 7:25pm ... at least according to The Age.

Can anyone access the article?
From the age .com.au

"St Kilda star Jake Carlisle is on the trade table.

Carlisle's manager Anthony McConville told The Age he will meet St Kilda's general manager of football Simon Lethlean and list manager James Gallagher this week to discuss Carlisle's future.
Jake Carlisle crossed to St Kilda from Essendon after the 2015 season.

Jake Carlisle crossed to St Kilda from Essendon after the 2015 season.Credit:AAP

After reaching a trigger in his deal to grant him another year at the Saints, both parties will publicly maintain he's likely to remain a Saint. And that may still happen if there are no other suitors for the 27-year-old.

But sources familiar with Carlilse's contract talks have told The Age that both the Saints and Carlisle will consider offers from other clubs if and when they are forthcoming.

McConville, managing director of Mac's Sports, said he believes his client still has a future at the Saints.

"I'll be meeting with both Simon and James this week to gauge our appetite to extend his contract and if that's healthy for them and it's healthy for us then that's great," McConville said.

"Obviously he's missed a lot of football this season and to get back from his back injury was a remarkable effort, when you consider the timeline.

"I believe he's got an enormous amount of value to the St Kilda Football Club going into their future."

St Kilda have been contacted for comment.

Carlisle has had a season to forget, missing the first half of the season following back surgery, an issue that has followed the defender since his days at Essendon.

The complex procedure saw surgeons relieve pressure on a nerve in his lower back caused by a disc protrusion.

Carlisle could have had the surgery in his early 20s when playing at Essendon, or in 2016 during his season away from football, following the supplements saga.

Despite returning for the last ten games of the season, Carlisle has looked a shadow of his former self, averaging just 11 disposals, compared to his previous two seasons at the Saints when he averaged 16.

As reported by The Age in May, Carlisle needed to play nine games in the second half of the season to reach the trigger for 2020.

But both parties believe that now is the time to part ways if they can find an appropriate suitor.

If Carlisle is to leave in the upcoming trade period, the Saints will be on the lookout for another key defender.

Nathan Brown is about to turn 31 and Dylan Roberton's career remains at the crossroads with an ongoing heart condition.

The potential departure of Carlisle would be seen as the beginning of a list overhaul by the Saints under a new coach, likely to be current caretaker Brett Ratten.

Four time best-and-fairest winner Jack Steven seems likely to join Geelong in the trade period, although his value is difficult to decipher given his mental health issues this season and the fact that he'll be 30 by the start of next season.

Brad Hill will join the club on a long-term deal as long as St Kilda and Fremantle can negotiate a trade, another difficult situation for the Saints given the three-time premiership player has two years left on his contract at the Dockers.

The Saints are also desperate for help in the ruck, to assist the emerging Rowan Marshall, who has arguably been the revelation of the season across the league."

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 10:34am Carlisle is going nowhere and dumb to want him to move. He is our best back and needs the right coach to motivate him.
So we need to pick a coach on the basis that he can motivate Carlisle?

Sound ridiculous when you put it like that.

The fact is, we need players who will play for the coach, who ever that may be.

If Jake can’t or won’t - admittedly, I’m not certain that’s the case - then bye bye.

The tail cannot wag the dog ever again at St Kilda.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 9:35am Clarko will pick up Carlisle for a third round pick.
Not for 2020 he won't.

Carlisle may well be traded, but it would not something farcical like that.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Its about money, Carlisle is well paid and the Club want room for Hill and whomever else.

So the Club has opened up the option of trading Carlisle or extending him on reduced money.

Given his age and possible injury, I reckon we'll extend him with a pay cut, as I don't think another Club will take him for the money he's on now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 12:00pm Its about money, Carlisle is well paid and the Club want room for Hill and whomever else.

I think the much bigger reason is trade currency.

We currently have very little of value to trade, and that means to get a quality players in by trade that as it stands that we can only really afford Hill. Maybe someone else if we trade next years first (but the value of future picks tends to be discounted).

Currently:
- No second or third rounder this year
- Very few players that would generate a trade for a good pick or a good player
- Even fewer players where we have a replacement already on our list (Battle for CHB).

So yes while Carlisle free ups $$$ if we are getting another very good player in addition to Hill, more importantly he provides the trade capital to actually get that trade done.

Steven will most likely go, but the Cats are not going to be overly generous

Bruce is speculated to be going, but personally see that leaves a huge hole, and if the hole filler is Ryder then I personally see that as a backwards step.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
outside66
Club Player

My reading into the Carlisle situation is this:

Gubby: Lets play Carlisle and activate his one-year extension - that way Saints are better placed should a trade scenario pop up. Said scenario pops up and we use that trade to facilitate one of the 15 trades we are involved in. Get Tomlinson in as an unrestricted free agent (who I think is a much better and versatile player than Carlisle).

DJ Higgins
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 10:57am
DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 10:34am Carlisle is going nowhere and dumb to want him to move. He is our best back and needs the right coach to motivate him.
So we need to pick a coach on the basis that he can motivate Carlisle?

Sound ridiculous when you put it like that.

The fact is, we need players who will play for the coach, who ever that may be.

If Jake can’t or won’t - admittedly, I’m not certain that’s the case - then bye bye.

The tail cannot wag the dog ever again at St Kilda.
I think you missed the point then made the point in different words. Every player needs a coach that they want to play for and will improve their game. Carlisle cane back from injury but played below his best due mainly to the effects of his surgery. But his heart didn't seem to be there along with half the team in the last month.
r. It would silly to trade him with no real replacement. Brownie is great but father time will get him soon so who is our replacement for both these two?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle when fit and in form is in our top 5 players. It would be madness to trade him unless we're getting an established gun (Hill), early first round pick or prodigious young talent (Bing) coming back. The guy missed most of the year due to back surgery and returned earlier than expected. He wasn't at his best but he did have some very good games, including a strong defensive shut down game against Ben Brown (16 spoils) and outstanding games against the Bulldogs and Freo (combined total of 13 spoils, 19 intercepts and 5 contested marks).

Battle's emergency has been the only reason why Carlisle's importance to the team could be brought into question, but honestly I still really like Battle as a forward. I wouldn't be trading Carlisle; he is a player that opposition teams worry about. We don't have many of those.

suss
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 12:25pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 12:00pm Its about money, Carlisle is well paid and the Club want room for Hill and whomever else.

I think the much bigger reason is trade currency.

We currently have very little of value to trade, and that means to get a quality players in by trade that as it stands that we can only really afford Hill. Maybe someone else if we trade next years first (but the value of future picks tends to be discounted).

Currently:
- No second or third rounder this year
- Very few players that would generate a trade for a good pick or a good player
- Even fewer players where we have a replacement already on our list (Battle for CHB).

So yes while Carlisle free ups $$$ if we are getting another very good player in addition to Hill, more importantly he provides the trade capital to actually get that trade done.

Steven will most likely go, but the Cats are not going to be overly generous

Bruce is speculated to be going, but personally see that leaves a huge hole, and if the hole filler is Ryder then I personally see that as a backwards step.
I'm hoping that Newnes leaves and we get one of those priority picks which is dressed up as a compo pick, like the one Melbourne got for Frawley. Something in the 20s would be ideal.

Then, if Jack goes to Geelong and Kelly goes to Freo, the cost to get Hill might not be too bad - we'd definitely need to give Geelong something extra to cover the cost of Hill, but maybe a pick in the 20s would do.

I'd prefer to keep Carlisle, if we can add Hill and Tomlinson while keeping pick 5 or 6.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Saints hierarchy obviously don’t care for his effort..or lack of. Skills are talent are still evident.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Rubyjo
Club Player

Can take a good grab.. Can't defend one on one when the ball hits the ground.. Huge turning circle hinders his ability to defend. This may be a ploy from the saints to pay him less.