McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

No club has exclusive rights to any player, until now... GC have exclusive rights to NGA kids from Darwin and Nth QLD.

It’s not obtuse, I’m just correcting you as you are wrong.

If StK chose to bid on Heeney at pick 1, Sydney could have matched and got him at pick 18 using draft points.
Or Sydney could have chosen not to match and we would have had to select Heeney.
From memory, the bid came pretty early for Heeney. Sydney matched and took him at 18.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 2:20pm Do you understand the bidding system?

Yeah I do and they were always going to those clubs. No point wasting every ones time bidding.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
outside66
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 4:52pm

Yeah I do and they were always going to those clubs. No point wasting every ones time bidding.
It's to keep the respective clubs honest and prevent good players going to clubs for nothing i.e. Ablett for pick 40, Tom Hawkins for pick 41 etc

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 11:02am
CURLY wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 4:52pm

It's to keep the respective clubs honest and prevent good players going to clubs for nothing i.e. Ablett for pick 40, Tom Hawkins for pick 41 etc
Yes something BM clearly doesn't get.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hang on,

You said it was a waste of time bidding on them?

If everyone thought that, Heeney could have gone at pick 80

You must bid on the player at where they deserve to go, so the club has to use its next pick to select the player.

Callum Mills had a bid at pick 3 forcing Sydney to match that bid or he went at pick 3 to the club that bid on him.

I think I understand the process ok, I’m not the one who suggested bidding on players is a waste of time.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 12:06pm Hang on,

You said it was a waste of time bidding on them?

If everyone thought that, Heeney could have gone at pick 80

You must bid on the player at where they deserve to go, so the club has to use its next pick to select the player.

Callum Mills had a bid at pick 3 forcing Sydney to match that bid or he went at pick 3 to the club that bid on him.

I think I understand the process ok, I’m not the one who suggested bidding on players is a waste of time.
You said they were available to us which if you had any idea you'd know that was incorrect.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They were available to select, then it was up to Sydney or Collingwood to match. If we bid at pick 1 it would have been interesting to see if they did match the bid, I think they would have as they were very invested in those players.

If we ranked either Moore or Heeney as the No1 player in the draft we would have selected them. We obviously did not, and had McCartin as the best in the draft pool.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 12:25pm They were available to select, then it was up to Sydney or Collingwood to match. If we bid at pick 1 it would have been interesting to see if they did match the bid, I think they would have as they were very invested in those players.

If we ranked either Moore or Heeney as the No1 player in the draft we would have selected them. We obviously did not, and had McCartin as the best in the draft pool.
Of course they would have because they were still dirt cheap. They were only ever going to Collingwood and Sydney.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hmm...?

Not sure you get it, and I’m done trying to explain it

Research Irving Mosquito

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 12:34pm Hmm...?

Not sure you get it, and I’m done trying to explain it

Research Irving Mosquito
You lost just face it. Your swipe at the club was proven to be piss poor.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lost what?

You have no clue about the bidding process for Academy kids or father and sons?

And I can’t be bothered explaining it to you further.

Did you research Irving Mosquito?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 12:46pm Lost what?

You have no clue about the bidding process for Academy kids or father and sons?

And I can’t be bothered explaining it to you further.

Did you research Irving Mosquito?
You said we overlooked them for McCartin in an attempt to have a crack at the club. We had no chance of getting them. You are the one that has no clue.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying we couldn’t have bid on them?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 1:22pm Are you saying we couldn’t have bid on them?
I can go to a 25 million dollar house auction if I want got no chance of getting it.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 1:30pm
I can go to a 25 million dollar house auction if I want got no chance of getting it.
Yeah - but if you bid 25 million and no one matches your bid, you are stuck with the house. B.M. is saying that we should be bidding to force the Sydney's/collingwoods' to use their early picks on them. Imagine if every club had your attitude (what's the point bidding, we won't get the players anyway) then gun young players like Heeney would be 3rd or 4th rounders and we'd be giving clubs a leg up

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That makes zero sense?

Not sure how you don’t understand how academy picks work.

Sydney did not or do not have exclusive rights to academy players! They must match any bid that comes for those players, if the do match the bid, they get the player in question.

It’s actually not a hard concept to understand?!

If Rowell was a Collingwood NGA player. Gold Coast would still select him at #1 knowing that Collingwood would have to match that bid to secure him. If Collingwood did not match, he’d be off to the GC.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

C'mon folks we have to allow curly wriggle room for the conspiracy/corrupt theory to kick in
We can all just wait for his pearl of wisdom why the AFL even introduced the bidding system in the first place

Seeya
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:53pm That makes zero sense?

Not sure how you don’t understand how academy picks work.

Sydney did not or do not have exclusive rights to academy players! They must match any bid that comes for those players, if the do match the bid, they get the player in question.

It’s actually not a hard concept to understand?!

If Rowell was a Collingwood NGA player. Gold Coast would still select him at #1 knowing that Collingwood would have to match that bid to secure him. If Collingwood did not match, he’d be off to the GC.
I know exactly how academy and father son selections work and bidding on Heeney and Moore would have been a waste of time for everyone. Sydney got a gift while Moore went about where he should have. We could have called Moore at one Collingwood would have matched and the same with Sydney .

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 3:00pm C'mon folks we have to allow curly wriggle room for the conspiracy/corrupt theory to kick in
We can all just wait for his pearl of wisdom why the AFL even introduced the bidding system in the first place
Clown, the academy set up is a massive leg up and crock of s*** you will see. Giving up rubbish picks to get points for top tier talent is a joke.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If you want to be a spectator you can, if you are suggesting you could bid you’d better check auction law as you have no idea what you are writing.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 3:40pm
If you want to be a spectator you can, if you are suggesting you could bid you’d better check auction law as you have no idea what you are writing.
Not the point of my post. The point is Moore and Heeney were not available to us so we didn't plan or look to have them.

amusingname
Club Player

Cripes these ongoing pedantic arguments are annoying to read!

Curly - the bidding system makes it inaccurate to say that the other clubs had exclusive rights, we could have bid if we rated them number 1 and seen if they were matched;
BM - yes we could have bid on them and the other clubs would have had to match it, which all indications were that they would have regardless of when the bid came.

Can you (and the thread) move on now?

Speaking of which, did anyone else hear Garry Lyon on SEN this morning talking about Paddy? He said that he has had some positive progress and has had the symptoms ease recently, also said that Paddy is still working on the basis that he has some prospects of playing again. Obviously given the closeness of the relationship it should be taken with a grain of salt however it is some form of an update. He is contracted so I don't think the club will make any move before medical opinion says it is a lost cause.

suss
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 4:37pm Cripes these ongoing pedantic arguments are annoying to read!

Curly - the bidding system makes it inaccurate to say that the other clubs had exclusive rights, we could have bid if we rated them number 1 and seen if they were matched;
BM - yes we could have bid on them and the other clubs would have had to match it, which all indications were that they would have regardless of when the bid came.

Speaking of which, did anyone else hear Garry Lyon on SEN this morning talking about Paddy? He said that he has had some positive progress and has had the symptoms ease recently, also said that Paddy is still working on the basis that he has some prospects of playing again. Obviously given the closeness of the relationship it should be taken with a grain of salt however it is some form of an update. He is contracted so I don't think the club will make any move before medical opinion says it is a lost cause.
BM is obviously right though. If we thought Heeney was the best player we should've bid on him and put the acid on Sydney to match with points. Don't think Curly gets it.

Good news on McCartin but cannot see him playing again unfortunately. Love to be proven wrong.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:22pm
amusingname wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 4:37pm Cripes these ongoing pedantic arguments are annoying to read!

BM is obviously right though. If we thought Heeney was the best player we should've bid on him and put the acid on Sydney to match with points. Don't think Curly gets it.

Good news on McCartin but cannot see him playing again unfortunately. Love to be proven wrong.
Yes Sydney would have said yes ok we will use 18 and 96. Big deal.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s not pedantic, Curly stated I’ve got no idea, when Cleary he does not have a clue?!