Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Who gives a shyte the what CV wants? This is what the St.Kilda football club needs. Put in a strong business case for us, and let those pricks at CV do what they want. We need to return to the JO, regardless of what others want.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Who gives a shyte the what CV wants? This is what the St.Kilda football club needs. Put in a strong business case for us, and let those pricks at CV do what they want. We need to return to the JO, regardless of what others want.
Agree. I dont understand why everyone is so psyched-out and panicky about CV.
Either its a good deal for us or its not. CV are just another stakeholder we need to deal with like anyone else.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: The AFL have claimed they can raise $10 million to $20 million to make up the funding shortfall at the Junction Oval for a co-development, where they would be compromised day to day by sharing with cricket. Why don't they put the same (or less) money on top of that already committed to Moorabbin, and have the club as the primary tenant of a brilliant new, dedicated football base"
Because the AFL is committing that to JO to get cricket off the mcg so they can use it in march, saints were just a after thought not the main reason behind it

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Who knows if we'll ever get back to JO.

There's no doubt we're the minor consideration here. There is a possibility it may go ahead with CV and without the Saints. However there's no chance it goes ahead without CV. And that provides a realistic appraisal of where we fit in all this.

And I have to agree with p66 when he says games will never be played at JO. I can't believe we're even discussing that possibility to be honest. At best it's a training venue.

And while I think a return to JO can only help Sponsorship and Membership, I don't believe it will be the magic elixir that some on here think it is.

Yes, St Kilda is an iconic suburb.

And if we had changed our name to the Southern Saints and someone suggested we change it back to St Kilda then I'd say do it for sure.

I could see the advantage in being the St Kilda team.

But we are already the club known as St Kilda regardless of where we train.

We ARE the trendy St Kilda Saints.

So if any tourists, after becoming so enamoured with the trendy suburb, decide to take in an AFL game they already have a club to follow (us) and can catch a game at the same venue as they would if and when we train at St Kilda.

It shouldn't matter whether we train on or near the JO in terms of getting tourists involved on match day. I really can't see these bearded, tattooed, Hipster Doofas tourist types slipping out of their backpackers pubs to watch some blokes mucking 'round with witches hats.

Yes move to JO IF the deal is good, the figures add up and our rights are protected.

But if not, forget if and move on.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket ... 24pnm.html

A message to St Kilda: Hands off the Junction Oval

by Dean Jones
What the hell are the Saints up to? The players don't like driving down to Seaford and want a city location as their base. Why not go back to Moorabbin? Most supporters under 65 consider that their home, not the Junction Oval. St Kilda's social club facilities and pokies are already based at Moorabbin.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I always thought Dean Jones was an arrogant tosser and that article just confirms it! It is no surprise he is a Carlton supporter, so how would Cartlon be going without their benefactors the Pratt family propping them up? How much money has the AFL and government contributed to the Princess Park upgrade?

Most agree it was a ridiculous decision basing the club at Seaford, but the Morrabin situation had become non tenable so the club can hardly be ridiculed for wanting improved training facilities.

So get your head out of backside Deano as there is plenty of room at Junction Oval precinct for everyone!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm having a pot with P66 at the JO :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I'm having a pot with P66 at the JO :)

No youre not unless the McKinnon is now at the JO. Im to old to do StKilda.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'd love to join you two. :D And I know that quite a few other fellow Saintsationalists would too.

And hey, Deano, you're welcome also. :D

But most importantly Firey, don't forget the soon-to-be-legendary happy snap with P66 in front of the grandstands. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
I'd love to join you two. :D And I know that quite a few other fellow Saintsationalists would too.

And hey, Deano, you're welcome also. :D

But most importantly Firey, don't forget the soon-to-be-legendary happy snap with P66 in front of the grandstands. 8-)

You really have a sickness that needs attention.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-18/s ... ant-return
Finnis later told AFL.com.au that while the AFL continued to talk to the government about the move, the Saints would ensure they remained in touch with the "local needs and interests of the community".

They will continue to talk to locals through January but were encouraged by the type of discussions that had already happened.

"The responsibility that we have is to engage with the local community, stakeholder groups, sporting clubs, traders and people who have a really strong interest in what is a really important recreational space," Finnis said.

"We think the Saints can add real value to the community in terms of the way we can work with the local schools, sporting clubs and actually provide a home for some of the sporting groups for the disadvantaged people in the area.

"For us, there has been a lot of talk about the Junction at a high level but the job for us is to consult with those local people.

"I think people can see there's a lot of goodwill to the idea."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
lefty
Club Player

I bet "local community" means about 50 to 100 muppets who don't want to give up an inch and a tree or two for the rest of the community and club to benefit.

Same as the E-W link, the majority wanted it, yet the minor minority that have free time (somehow?) always make the most noise which doesn't reflect the wider community.

To me it seems it really is "the squeeky wheel gets the most attention".

If we all grouped up (the 25,000 members) demanding and protesting our return to JO, it would make the minor community outnumbered and we'd beat them at their own game.

Having said that, its also concerning that the inner city are voting greens, which indicates to me that they do not want more growth, buildings, roads, concrete, they just want to keep it the way it is, to benefit only themselves.

Someone get Ivy to ring up SEN and demand the return to JO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I bet "local community" means about 50 to 100 muppets who don't want to give up an inch and a tree or two for the rest of the community and club to benefit.

Same as the E-W link, the majority wanted it, yet the minor minority that have free time (somehow?) always make the most noise which doesn't reflect the wider community.

If we all grouped up (the 25,000 members) demanding and protesting our return to JO, it would make the minor community outnumbered and we'd beat them at their own game.

Having said that, its also concerning that the inner city are voting greens, which indicates to me that they do not want more growth, buildings, roads, concrete, they just want to keep it the way it is, to benefit only themselves.

But I don't think all members want to return to the JO. Some see that we maybe second fiddle and again it could cost us money that we don't have. I certainly don't care if we go there or not. I want the best facilities that we control. If that's in Nar Nar Goon or Bourke st I don't care.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
lefty wrote:I bet "local community" means about 50 to 100 muppets who don't want to give up an inch and a tree or two for the rest of the community and club to benefit.

But I don't think all members want to return to the JO. Some see that we maybe second fiddle and again it could cost us money that we don't have. I certainly don't care if we go there or not. I want the best facilities that we control. If that's in Nar Nar Goon or Bourke st I don't care.
I was driving past the Waverley ground the other day and wondered for a minute if we could take it over from Hawthorn in the short term. The Hawks have so many staff now that it's mental. Their 300 cars can't park there. They built their finances on the back of scoring that ground for nothing in a deal from the developer. We can claim a link, it's on a road accessible from the peninsula and every other part of melbourne, would be free and the Hawks seem keen to leave ATM. We could use it until we are liquid again and then rebuild our facility at Moorabin as a VFL and training facility. The economy is as flat as a tack right now and we will struggle to raise money so seems a viable option.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The EW link was a lemon and totally rushed through with out checks and balances, it was tipped to be under funded by two thirds and not make any major difference to congestion. The rail crossings will make a bigger impact because they will allow traffic to flow outside the feeder roads. I don't know many eastern suburb folks that travel to the west and vice versa. Public transport is ridiculous in melbourne. Go to nay other city in the world and you don't have the same problems. There are better projects for the money and ones that would increase productivity.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I read the Dean Jones article with interest. To be perfectly honest, I understand where he's coming from in some ways (the $9.5 mil committed to Moorabbin for example) and feel that if we're to have a "home" away from Seaford, then Moorabbin is the natural place for that home. I'd take issue with Jones regarding cricket "bursting at the seams" in "Sports mad Melbourne" If the MCG were to rely on Cricket alone for it to be a viable venue, then (IMHO) it would have closed down in the last century. Check out crowd figures for Shield games at the MCG in "sports mad Melbourne" AFL keeps the MCG in business! Story ended!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
8bloggs
Club Player

Interesting that Finnis at the AGM last night said the club needed to seriously look into JO given the "significant amount of member support".
I understand the emotional appeal of going back to the home base, the need to have a real partnership with the cricketing brethren and the necessity of having a business case that works.
I hear the message from the club that we need to engage with the communities around the JO.
I get the club's desire to have the 'community hub' at Moorabbin.
What is yet to emerge is how JO together with Moorabbin will work for our long term benefit.
What do people here think is really behind this "significant support"?
For me it has to do with wanting a better identity for the club and a closer connection for supporters with the club. Seaford has the image of a club that has shifted further away from its supporters (yes I know it's only a training ground and administration facilities, but that's how it feels). Moorabbin retains a social club that has no interest to me, some good memories and a lot of not so good memories and a feeling of embarassment when comparing to other grounds - basically, it smells of a loser's world (harsh I know).
I want the JO to go ahead because I want our club to be in a successful environment...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

8bloggs wrote:Interesting that Finnis at the AGM last night said the club needed to seriously look into JO given the "significant amount of member support".
I understand the emotional appeal of going back to the home base, the need to have a real partnership with the cricketing brethren and the necessity of having a business case that works.
I hear the message from the club that we need to engage with the communities around the JO.
I get the club's desire to have the 'community hub' at Moorabbin.
What is yet to emerge is how JO together with Moorabbin will work for our long term benefit.
What do people here think is really behind this "significant support"?
For me it has to do with wanting a better identity for the club and a closer connection for supporters with the club. Seaford has the image of a club that has shifted further away from its supporters (yes I know it's only a training ground and administration facilities, but that's how it feels). Moorabbin retains a social club that has no interest to me, some good memories and a lot of not so good memories and a feeling of embarassment when comparing to other grounds - basically, it smells of a loser's world (harsh I know).
I want the JO to go ahead because I want our club to be in a successful environment...
pretty much how I see it too. We left St Kilda when Moorabin was a nice new suburb and St Kilda was a dated dive. Now the reinvigorated St Kilda looks much more appealing. Moorabin is pretty much like Seaford, hidden away and limited as we have lost the car parking area around the ground to a nature reserve and there is pretty much nothing but the main building and a run down bowling club facing South road that we have no ownership over.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saintbrat wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-18/s ... ant-return
Finnis later told AFL.com.au that while the AFL continued to talk to the government about the move, the Saints would ensure they remained in touch with the "local needs and interests of the community".

They will continue to talk to locals through January but were encouraged by the type of discussions that had already happened.

"The responsibility that we have is to engage with the local community, stakeholder groups, sporting clubs, traders and people who have a really strong interest in what is a really important recreational space," Finnis said.

"We think the Saints can add real value to the community in terms of the way we can work with the local schools, sporting clubs and actually provide a home for some of the sporting groups for the disadvantaged people in the area. :idea:

"For us, there has been a lot of talk about the Junction at a high level but the job for us is to consult with those local people.

"I think people can see there's a lot of goodwill to the idea.
"
Wow! That's really impressive.

Opposition or not to our return home. Irrelevant. This is what our great club should be all about! :idea:

And Matt F very clearly... 'gets it'. 8-)

Makes me so proud to read that.

JO will be huge for us and for our community. St Kilda FC. St Kilda community. A part of each other.

It's time to come home Saintas.
Victor Hugo wrote:All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-18/s ... ant-return

"We think the Saints can add real value to the community in terms of the way we can work with the local schools, sporting clubs and actually provide a home for some of the sporting groups for the disadvantaged people in the area. :idea:

"I think people can see there's a lot of goodwill to the idea.
"
Wow! That's really impressive.

Opposition or not to our return home. Irrelevant. This is what our great club should be all about! :idea:

And Matt F very clearly... 'gets it'. 8-)

Makes me so proud to read that.

JO will be huge for us and for our community. St Kilda FC. St Kilda community. A part of each other.

It's time to come home Saintas.
Victor Hugo wrote:All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come.

Can I say crap with a capital crap.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

In my humble opinion, the priority needs to be getting the club successful ON-field. The notion of us "returning home" to the Junction Oval while providing a warm and fuzzy feelgood vibe, does not have the same effect on the general well being of the club as having a competitive and WINNING football team. If there are funds already available for the redevelopment of Moorabbin, then we should seriously consider this before any further steps are taken. (IMHO)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:In my humble opinion, the priority needs to be getting the club successful ON-field. The notion of us "returning home" to the Junction Oval while providing a warm and fuzzy feelgood vibe, does not have the same effect on the general well being of the club as having a competitive and WINNING football team. If there are funds already available for the redevelopment of Moorabbin, then we should seriously consider this before any further steps are taken. (IMHO)

I think it has an effect on field though. Luke Ball said the tour of the Lexus centre was a swaying factor in going to the Pies. If players feel part of a professional forward moving enterprise and engage in community work outside the on field stuff we can tempt outside players and keep the existing ones. It's symbolic as much as anything. Richmond did something similar when they started to rebuild. You can't always be winning but you can at least be making positive moves.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:In my humble opinion, the priority needs to be getting the club successful ON-field. The notion of us "returning home" to the Junction Oval while providing a warm and fuzzy feelgood vibe, does not have the same effect on the general well being of the club as having a competitive and WINNING football team. If there are funds already available for the redevelopment of Moorabbin, then we should seriously consider this before any further steps are taken. (IMHO)

I think it has an effect on field though. Luke Ball said the tour of the Lexus centre was a swaying factor in going to the Pies. If players feel part of a professional forward moving enterprise and engage in community work outside the on field stuff we can tempt outside players and keep the existing ones. It's symbolic as much as anything. Richmond did something similar when they started to rebuild. You can't always be winning but you can at least be making positive moves.

Yep and that tour can be anywhere. people do realise that the JO is a long way from where most players live now and wasn't that the reason some on here said some players don't like Seaford. Lets just get the facilities we can and make sure we control those facilities. And that can be on the moon for all it matters to supporters.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i'm 100% with you on that one......jo is no longer the home...spiritual or otherwise of the modern day saints...nor of the tens of thousands of saints supporters born after 1964 ffs......people need to get real....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PJ
SS Life Member

I'm not sure people are giving management the credit for the job they are charged with. If the deal is crap they won't take it, why would they go into something that would damage future potential in all areas.

I'm pretty sure they'd be doing a complete assessment on benefits for all 3 locations. The return to our original home would be part of both a marketing strategy and a business plan. Saints would be wanting to gain a large share of future markets.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.