2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jays
Club Player

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

cant wait for this all to start more exciting then the season lol

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets assume we use pick 5 on Carlisle and 23 on Freeman and the Bombers send us pick 22.

Who would be available at pick 22 if we are looking for a quick midfielder with good foot skills?

Any of these of interest? Milera looks particularly impressive.

Wayne Milera (SA – MID/FWD)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 14/09/1997
Recruited from: Central Districts
Range: 15-30
Profile: Damaging midfielder with class and evasiveness.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 7494657615

Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 17/06/1997
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Range: 10-30
Profile: High level accumulator with acceleration and ability to hit the scoreboard.

James Parsons (VIC – UTIL)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 12/04/1997
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Range: 15-35
Profile: Tall outside midfielder with some pace and good footskills.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

poor whingeing Bulldogs - grab Boyd for $2m then whinge 'it should be about getting to know each other before money...'
w@nkers.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The best idea I have seen so far is the one from saintsrising . Send pick 5 to Freo and get Weller and 16 back. Use 16 on Milera.
Then we have Weller, Freeman, Milera. Thats our midfield sorted in one hit working on the theory that 2 out of those 3 will work out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good article on the two lists playing this week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-30/h ... inal-lists

jaxons
Club Player

Playon wrote:Any news jaxons? You've been a bit quiet this year. A lot of us appreciate your input

I will tell you all this, if Carlisle agrees to join Saints and it hasn't happened yet, I can guarantee you all we will get Freeman and Carlisle and still go to the draft with our number 5 pick in tact, watch this space.

Saint wagga
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
Playon wrote:Any news jaxons? You've been a bit quiet this year. A lot of us appreciate your input

I will tell you all this, if Carlisle agrees to join Saints and it hasn't happened yet, I can guarantee you all we will get Freeman and Carlisle and still go to the draft with our number 5 pick in tact, watch this space.
Thanks Jaxons, thats exciting news! Sounds like we will be using a future pick then. Surely Carlisle is worth a late first rounder or there abouts. Key talls ready to roll age 24 dont come cheap.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

jaxons wrote:

Mmmmm, very nice :)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The best idea I have seen so far is the one from saintsrising . Send pick 5 to Freo and get Weller and 16 back. Use 16 on Milera.
Then we have Weller, Freeman, Milera. Thats our midfield sorted in one hit working on the theory that 2 out of those 3 will work out.
What's Milera got to do with this?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You are aware magnifisaint that he is not talking about Terry?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

Hope you nail this prediction mate, that would be amazing.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Hope you nail this prediction mate, that would be amazing.
Only if we don't have to give up two or three decent players or trade away our first rounder next year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
footynut
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:The best idea I have seen so far is the one from saintsrising . Send pick 5 to Freo and get Weller and 16 back. Use 16 on Milera.
After reading Milera's bio I'd bit quite disappointed if we selected him in the first round. It sounds as if he is very outside which could limit his impact at an AFL level, and for a skills outside player his lack of goal kicking ability also sends alarm bells.
It sounds as if he may develop into an average AFL footballer which is no great; but we should be looking for players who have the potential to be elite!!! I hear Lonie say that sa a smaller player you need to elite in everything you do.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree, footynut. He might make it at AFL level, but doesn't strike me as a standout worthy of a first round pick. The problem for us as fans is that we only get to see tiny amounts of footage of these prospects. If that YouTube video is his highlights package, then the clanger reel would be damning. In the end, in trout and Ameet we trust.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Have to agree, footynut. He might make it at AFL level, but doesn't strike me as a standout worthy of a first round pick. The problem for us as fans is that we only get to see tiny amounts of footage of these prospects. If that YouTube video is his highlights package, then the clanger reel would be damning. In the end, in trout and Ameet we trust.
you love the trout WW…

matrix
Saintsational Legend

So keeping pick 5 but still getting Carlisle and Freeman......
Who are we throwing up as trade bait then with a future second round pick????!!!

Playon
Club Player

jaxons wrote:

Excellent. Have you heard anything about trading one of our rucks?
1 Never heard
2 No longer an option
3 Going to happen
4 Possible
5 Was never on the table

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Longer and Ross ?

Playon
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Longer and Ross ?
I dont put much stock in it but Longer wasnt mentioned

Playon
Club Player

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro has confirmed that he will ask for St Kilda's pick five in exchange for Jake Carlisle.

Hmm whats he going to ask from Carlton and the Doggies?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:
After reading Milera's bio I'd bit quite disappointed if we selected him in the first round. It sounds as if he is very outside which could limit his impact at an AFL level, and for a skills outside player his lack of goal kicking ability also sends alarm bells.
It sounds as if he may develop into an average AFL footballer which is no great; but we should be looking for players who have the potential to be elite!!! I hear Lonie say that sa a smaller player you need to elite in everything you do.
You must have read an old profile.
He kicked 5 goals in a senior SANFL game. Find me another midfielder in the draft who could do that?
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 7494657615

Knightmare rates him at 11 and a few other experts have him very very high. I think he has surged late in the season. Have you watched his video? He looks unbelievable if you ask me.

Here is what knightmare says
11. Wayne Milera (SA – MID/FWD)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 14/09/1997
Recruited from: Central Districts
Reminds me of: Steven Motlop
Best position/role: Forward/rotational midfielder.
Strengths:performance v senior SANFL opposition – Milera impressively has demonstrated that against better and more seasoned bodied that he can have an impact. Specifically v Glenelg, Milera managed an impressive 24 disposals, nine marks and five goals which is a mighty impressive performance and gives a glimpse into what he may be able to do in the future.
Production – For such a damaging player, Milera’s numbers are overall very good. Generally for high hurt factor outside types they tend to struggle to get their hands on the footy, but with Milera while he does generally achieve even at the lower levels midfield, he can still find the footy to a good level. I’ve also been impressed by the contested/uncontested balance to his game, Milera like most lighter bodied types finds more uncontested ball, but none the less he has still proven that he can win a reasonable balance of contested ball which is critically important for a forward because it suggests he has the ability to perform fairly consistently.
Footskills – Milera is an excellent user of the footy. He has a reliable kick with a high kicking efficiency and also importantly can do damage with his kicks, be it hitting targets or finishing around goal.
Decision making ability and vision – Milera is an excellent decision maker with ball in hand. He has excellent composure and a real slipperiness with ball in hand making him hard to catch. He also invariably makes the right decisions and spots good targets around the ground, and executes his passes.
Class and movement with ball in hand – Milera is quick with ball in hand and can provide some run and a burst of acceleration. He certainly when he has ball in hand has class and hurt factor to him where you know he will make something happen, he can evade tacklers at will, anticipating quickly and using his agility superbly in game and then he will go on to create some meaningful offence through his use of the ball.
Scoreboard impact – Milera has the ability to provide strong scoreboard impact at times for someone who plays more as a forward flanker/midfielder than he does a deep forward.
Inside/outside balance – Milera is a damaging player outside the contest but I’ve also appreciated what I have seen of him at stoppages. He can win the ground ball and some contested ball in his own right, but as a receiver he can do some real damage with his ability to make quick decisions and then execute, if you get it to him, he has demonstrated from stoppages that he can hit meaningful targets up the ground and inside 50m.
Versatility – Milera is most damaging on a forward flank, but he also has the ability to push up onto a wing or even through the midfield and offer another rotational option.
Weaknesses:Linebreaking ability – Milera while his agility and evasiveness with his quickness of mind are incredibly impressive. Milera is not a linebreaker. He will take on the game and provide a burst of speed, and has excellent endurance. But he lacks that genuine straight-line pace and particularly that top speed beyond just those first few steps to be a genuine line breaking factor.
Size and strength – At this stage Milera is still reasonably light bodied and has at times been knocked off the ball. The critical thing for Milera will be getting stronger without losing any of his speed of movement and particularly his agility. If he can do that, that’s when Milera really can have a wonderful career at AFL level.
Defensive side to his game – At this stage while Milera can at times offer some tackling energy, he still needs to become a stronger tackler which will come with strength, as well as committing more to running back harder defensively.
Summary:Milera on the right team has the opportunity to be a 200 gamer who does some meaningful damage up forward and through the midfield for a team.

footynut
Club Player

If he has improved that is awesome, and we do need outside runners who can break the lines and good decisions. However at AFL level they must be able to win there own ball. I have never seen him play so I hope your right if we go down that path.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro has confirmed that he will ask for St Kilda's pick five in exchange for Jake Carlisle.

Hmm whats he going to ask from Carlton and the Doggies?
I think Dodoro needs to talk with our chief negotiator, Daryl Kerrigan.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Jesse hogan anyone?

#1 Ryder fan
Playon
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
I think Dodoro needs to talk with our chief negotiator, Daryl Kerrigan.
So long as we don't use his lawyer :)