I took banned drug: Watson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: I took banned drug: Watson

You really have to have a laugh at Mark Mcveighs comments they only took vitamins when there were all these consent forms with listed substances on them going around.
Biggest liar of all time .

mullet
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
mullet wrote:That is a really interesting read. I am surprised there isnt more going on in the news about these latest revelations.

Essendon as a club are in for a huge penalty, I'm starting to think.

Surely the coaches must be sanctioned, especially hird, as he attended a presentation on the drug for god sake, so he knew they were taking it.

I think players may get the lightest penalty available as they are starting to look like the victims, however, the strict liability enforced by WADA will ensure they dont get away without being sanctioned. Which players and how many, who knows. Jobe would have to be one of them though.
Indeed. It's all about limiting the player suspensions now.

Demetriou would be shitting himself about this. If he can't convince WADA to go light on the players it's a very bad look for the AFL.
I heard "someone" commenting on SEN yesterday, a journalist but cant remember name. He said that the AFL would have to implement harsh penalties as the whole world is watching, plus they are sending messages to all amateur and Junior football as well. Apparantly , according to this journalist, the AFL are under huge pressure to send the right message.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so they will screw it up then
lol

its certainly going to be interesting huh
imagine the day the findings are made public and the punishments
and the reactions, the forums, twitter facebook the footy shows

it will drag on for another 6 months AFTER the decision comes out just with comments opinions and arguments

we'll be talking about this next year after the grannie

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
mullet wrote:That is a really interesting read. I am surprised there isnt more going on in the news about these latest revelations.

Essendon as a club are in for a huge penalty, I'm starting to think.

Surely the coaches must be sanctioned, especially hird, as he attended a presentation on the drug for god sake, so he knew they were taking it.

I think players may get the lightest penalty available as they are starting to look like the victims, however, the strict liability enforced by WADA will ensure they dont get away without being sanctioned. Which players and how many, who knows. Jobe would have to be one of them though.
Indeed. It's all about limiting the player suspensions now.

Demetriou would be shitting himself about this. If he can't convince WADA to go light on the players it's a very bad look for the AFL.
I heard "someone" commenting on SEN yesterday, a journalist but cant remember name. He said that the AFL would have to implement harsh penalties as the whole world is watching, plus they are sending messages to all amateur and Junior football as well. Apparantly , according to this journalist, the AFL are under huge pressure to send the right message.

Im not sure i get that. Apart from doing the right thing to the competition how does harsh penalty send a message to amateur and junior comps. If they use or dont use performance enhancing drugs why will they care what penalty Essendon players get? No one is those comps will ever be tested so if they are going to use the stuff they will still use whether the players get 2 years or no penalty at all.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:You really have to have a laugh at Mark Mcveighs comments they only took vitamins when there were all these consent forms with listed substances on them going around.
Ah, not necessarily, Con. It is possible McVeigh was thought beyond any improvement, via AOD 9064 or anything else. Ergo, they may have used him as a control, as a reference for the improvements in Jobe et al, in the 'Clinical Trial'.

McVeigh may have been relegated to a mere data point, out at "Essendon Biomedical Inc".

There's also another element that seems to be missing in all of the "excuse them, they know not what they did" media dummies. While there has been much mention of how lawyers will save the bacon of the EFC and players, in a criminal court in Oz, what has been ignored outside of a very tight WADA code is the potential for criminal (e.g. fraud) or civil cases to be launched on the basis of what's presented in any courts to get the players off suspensions via the WADA code.

Lance Armstrong didn't just walk away after he handed back his Tour prizes. He'd retired, so a ban was meaningless. Where he got whacked, and is still getting whacked, is via the courts. He'd buried a lot of his ill gotten gains, but they're still uncovering and relieving him of it.

I would think any decision about trying to overthrow a WADA compliant penalty via the courts would have to consider opening up a whole new can of worms. It would be a very big list of potential plaintiffs and defendants. And, civil actions don't have the same standard of proof, deferring to a balance of probabilities, rather than the "beyond reasonable doubt" standard. Legal bravado might seem rather fleeting if a queue forms on the steps of various courts, and threatens to tie up numerous people from various places for years defending various elements of these corrupt enterprises. While it's probably true some players are potential plaintiffs, I would think every effort would be made to settle, rather than have the players create court records for others to reference.

If the AFL can't keep control of this, and get an outcome that satisfies WADA, then the potential for escaping worms could bring them down. If technicalities are used to threaten the WADA code, the AFL could see legislative and regulatory changes imposed on them and other sports in Oz. The other sports will demand it. So, so, so many worms.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree mcveigh may well have been only on vitamins .
But I'd be amazed if the players didn't chat amongst themselves about the forms etc.

But you raise a bloody interesting point .

Remember the text messages

Dank: is X in your best 22?
Hird : at his best yes. Why ?
Dank: I like to give the older guys iv blah blah blah

So this text exchange does provide some possible context to the age article that different players has different regimes that were being monitored and possibly passed on to external parties .

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:I agree mcveigh may well have been only on vitamins .
But I'd be amazed if the players didn't chat amongst themselves about the forms etc.

But you raise a bloody interesting point .

Remember the text messages

Dank: is X in your best 22?
Hird : at his best yes. Why ?
Dank: I like to give the older guys iv blah blah blah

So this text exchange does provide some possible context to the age article that different players has different regimes that were being monitored and possibly passed on to external parties .
The point about the text messages seems to have gone quiet...

Would love to know what Hird was referring to when talking about the 'good stuff'?!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The big question is are ASADA building a case against or for Essendon....?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The big question is are ASADA building a case against or for Essendon....?
The 'good stuff' was Ribena for Simon Goodwin
Hirdy only got injections of vitamins when he was run-down and had the flu
All the invoices for all those other banned substances was just for the Receptionist who was looking to get trimmed up for her wedding.

:D :D :D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As an adjunct to the abc article regarding new potential fat drug the last paragraph states human trials; "will establish if sustained weight loss occurs when the drug is taken daily for three months."

The trials showed the results did not support commercial viability of obesity project

http://www.industry-news.net/web_multim ... Feb_21.pdf

This is when the company started investigating other uses for the pharmaceutical substance known as AOD 9604

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

It is confusing that Watson can continue playing.

That probably sums up the entire farce.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:It is confusing that Watson can continue playing.

That probably sums up the entire farce.
Almost everywhere else in the world they have changed confusing to WRONG !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/offici ... 2591216289

As I have said from day one on this - One morning the players will wake up and realise the people they trusted the most - Hird, Evans, Thompson and Reid have f*cked them over.

The players have a choice

1. Protect their leaders (who have completely deceived and misled them) and go down themselves

or

2. Save themselves.

It is unacceptable to everyone outside the EFC that the players + Hird, Thompson and Evans escape this whilst a few EFC outsiders (Robson, Dank and Robinson) are scapegoated.

Either the players are banned OR Hird, Thompson, Evans, Reid are banned

Take your pick.

My personal hope is the players are saved and the scumbag cheats at the top go down.

markp
Saintsational Legend

The Bell tolls for thee, Jobe...
Peter Bell: Jobe should be stood down

FORMER AFL star Peter Bell fears the league will become a laughing stock if Essendon champion Jobe Watson is not hit with heavy sanctions for his confession to taking banned substances through injections last season.

Bell, a dual North Melbourne premiership star and former Fremantle captain, says Watson should be stood down for a full AFL hearing into the Bombers captain’s revelations made on Fox Footy’s popular On the Couch program.

Bell said the AFL’s silence and failure to act with action against Watson was embarrassing on the world sporting stage.

“There may well be a defence that we are not aware of,” Bell said on Perth radio 6PR.

“But if he is cleared and there is not a legitimate defence that will reduce, in the eyes of international sport, the AFL to a laughing stock.”

Bell called for action from AFL authorities as the industry continues to debate Essendon’s alleged drugs use campaign.

Watson rocked AFL and Australian sporting circles when he confessed to taking injections of a banned anti-obesity drug not passed for human consumption last season in the first public admission that Essendon players had been involved in a substantial performance enhancing medical program.

A full investigation from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has been under ways since February when Essendon officials first confessed to potential misuse of chemicals with their players.

Bell described the possible outcome confronting Essendon and the league through a lengthy investigation into banned performance enhancing drugs last year has the potential to be the biggest disgrace ever to hit the AFL.

“The silence from the AFL is deafening,” he declared.

“You are running our competition that we all are stakeholders in, whatever your agenda is and I understand due process.

“Due process is out the window right now because of Jobe Watson’s admission.

“It is embarrassing the AFL. I need to hear from the AFL.”

Bell slammed authorities for not taking action once the reigning Brownlow medallist had gone public with his confession and breached an on-going Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority inquiry into Essendon’s substance use allegations from late 2011 and into last AFL season.

“For a guy to openly confess that he had taken an illegal substance against the rules under the WADA code, he should have been an infraction and stood down straight away and an opportunity for him to get out and give his defence should have been made,” Bell said.

“There’s no way in my opinion and I have got a lot of admiration for Jobe Watson and I sympathise with him a lot under the circumstances that I understand.

“But it is clear cut absolutely clear cut that there should be a hearing right now.”

Bell retired from playing midway through 2008 after 163 games at Fremantle and 123 with North Melbourne where he played in the 1996 and ’99 flag wining outfits.

He was president of the influential AFL Player’s Association from 2003-07.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/p ... 6672477214

No chump is Bell... hard to disagree.

BigD
Club Player

Balanced analytical view addressing the facts at hand with no background agenda.
Not bad from a past president of the Players Association.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Bell a lawyer also?

If so, his comments carry some serious cred

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes a lawyer...

The whole things an absolute joke...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Isn't Bell a lawyer also?

Bell was born in Cheju Island, South Korea, the son of a Korean mother and an American father. In 1979 he was adopted by an Australian couple. Bell spent his formative years in Kojonup, Western Australia. He was educated at Aquinas College, Perth[1] and the University of Western Australia, where he obtained a Bachelor of Laws.[2]

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Peter Bell is a seriously top bloke.

Bell was born in Cheju Island, South Korea, the son of a Korean mother and an American father. In 1979 he was adopted by an Australian couple. Bell spent his formative years in Kojonup, Western Australia. He was educated at Aquinas College, Perth and the University of Western Australia, where he obtained a Bachelor of Laws.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Peter Bell is a seriously top bloke.

Bell was born in Cheju Island, South Korea, the son of a Korean mother and an American father. In 1979 he was adopted by an Australian couple. Bell spent his formative years in Kojonup, Western Australia. He was educated at Aquinas College, Perth and the University of Western Australia, where he obtained a Bachelor of Laws.
So he's a Korea Lawyer then? :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wonder why I used to see him at Murdoch University all the time in 95/96?

markp
Saintsational Legend

As I said earlier, the only rationale I can see for the AFL's deafening silence on this admission is that they know the hammer is about to come down imminently and big time anyway.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:You really have to have a laugh at Mark Mcveighs comments they only took vitamins when there were all these consent forms with listed substances on them going around.

yep......and why was he worried about his future fertility if that were the case.......telling porkies :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.