Paddy to be delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy to be delisted

ace wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 10:12pm
B.M wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 8:58pm Or didn’t just select the obvious?!

When at the pointy end of the draft, there is 1 rule

Take the best available... regardless of position... when rebuilding you just keep stockpiling talent.

We outsmarted ourselves by taking a KPP that we thought represented value, rather than the best player
No there is also rule 2.
Rule 2. when the draft pick will only produce a mediocre player convert the pick - merge or split.
This means that when you can't get full value from a No1 pick then split that pick into pick 8 and pick 10 OR picks 16, 18 & 19.
Great. So we’d now have 3 to delist not just 1

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

It's really been handled well with Paddy agreeing to the mutual decision. Let's hope this new rehab process is successful.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why wouldn’t he agree?

He is getting full entitlements

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Paddy read the ball in flight beautifully and his leading patterns were brilliant. Is a pure forward and many of skills can't be taught they are natural. Was always spoke about at one or two anyone thinking other wise is reinventing history.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Secret Kiel
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 8:59am Why wouldn’t he agree?

How do you feel about him getting entitlements?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 8:59am Why wouldn’t he agree?

As he should.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Bowey Boy
Club Player

So how do we plonk him back on our list in 2021 if appropriate? He chooses us as a free agent?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mcc ... 53584.html

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Paddy is hoping to get back on our list for 2021'

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mcc ... 53584.html

" October 29, 2019 — 9.50am

Recent test results have Paddy McCartin confident that he can make a return to the AFL after a year off to combat the effects of repeated concussions.

On Monday, St Kilda announced they had delisted McCartin in a mutual decision aimed at allowing the 23-year-old to focus on his recovery.
Paddy McCartin hopes to be back playing in 2021.

Paddy McCartin hopes to be back playing in 2021.Credit:Jason South

The 2014 No.1 draft pick suffered his most recent concussion – his eighth – in the pre-season for the 2019 campaign and has not featured at any level of football since.

But he remains optimistic that he can return to full health and play at the highest level again, after receiving positive news from recent test results.

"I got a bit of a different opinion and I learned that I can potentially play again," he told SEN radio on Tuesday.

"There were a lot of times where I was like 'stuff this, I can't go through this again because it's been so difficult'.

"But when I went in there on Friday [to get test results] they gave me the confidence that it can correct itself."

When asked how his family feel about his worrying series of head injuries, McCartin revealed that they are pleased to see him with a smile on his face again.

"They're really happy that I'm feeling OK in myself right now, because there were times I was struggling just to get up," he said.

The Saints haven't closed the door on McCartin returning to their list for the 2021 season and that appears to be his preferred option, although he will have the option of joining another club as a delisted free agent.

"They've been great ... They haven't been through anything like this before either," McCartin said of St Kilda.

"I'll work out what this rehabilitation ... looks like and hopefully I can tie it in with being at the club and seeing the boys.

"Then all going to plan, [I'll] potentially get back on the list next year."

AAP

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I really feel for him but don't believe he'll ever play again - for us or anyone else. I suspect the club (and all those around him) are trying to let him down as gently as possible. He's got a lot of rethinking to do to segue onto some other career path.

FWIW I think he was under a lot of pressure to perform for us - because we needed a saviour so badly and longed for him to be some sort of plugger mk2. It may have made him more reckless than he needed to be, crashing packs head first. if anything you'd say it reflects well on him that he tried to be what we wanted. Now look at him - nobody's fault but everyone's fault, if you know what I mean.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

freely wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 11:13am I really feel for him but don't believe he'll ever play again - for us or anyone else. I suspect the club (and all those around him) are trying to let him down as gently as possible. He's got a lot of rethinking to do to segue onto some other career path.

FWIW I think he was under a lot of pressure to perform for us - because we needed a saviour so badly and longed for him to be some sort of plugger mk2. It may have made him more reckless than he needed to be, crashing packs head first. if anything you'd say it reflects well on him that he tried to be what we wanted. Now look at him - nobody's fault but everyone's fault, if you know what I mean.
You could probably go right back to his junior days and the way his junior coaches taught him how to play. Crashing packs head first is not the badge of honour it used to be.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

More from Paddy,

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 209112812f

"Delisted Saint Paddy McCartin hopes to return to the AFL after a year off. And he’s warned others not to feel the pressure of concussion injuries that can lead to players deliberately fudging some tests.

Long road ahead for McCartin

AFL: Paddy McCartin has been delisted from the St Kilda Football Club as he looks to spend at least the next 12 months r...

Recent test results have Paddy McCartin confident that he can make a return to the AFL after a year off to combat the effects of repeated concussions.

On Monday, St Kilda announced they had delisted McCartin in a mutual decision aimed at allowing the 23-year-old to focus on his recovery.

The 2014 No.1 draft pick suffered his most recent concussion – his eighth – in the pre-season for the 2019 campaign and has not featured at any level of football since.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

But he remains optimistic that he can return to full health and play at the highest level again, after receiving positive news from recent test results.

“I got a bit of a different opinion and I learned that I can potentially play again,” he told SEN on Tuesday.

“There were a lot of times where I was like ‘stuff this, I can’t go through this again because it’s been so difficult’.

“But when I went in there on Friday (to get test results) they gave me the confidence that it can correct itself.”

When asked how his family feel about his worrying series of head injuries, McCartin revealed that they are pleased to see him with a smile on his face again.

“They’re really happy that I’m feeling OK in myself right now, because there were times I was struggling just to get up,” he said.

The Saints haven’t closed the door on McCartin returning to their list for the 2021 season and that appears to be his preferred option, although he will have the option of joining another club as a delisted free agent.

“They’ve been great ... They haven’tbeen through anything like this before either,” McCartin said of St Kilda.

“I’ll work out what this rehabilitation ... looks like and hopefully I can tie it in with being at the club and seeing the boys.

“Then all going to plan, (I’ll) potentially get back on the list next year.”
McCartin will continue to use the Saints facilities, with the forward praising footy boss Simon Lethlean.
McCARTIN: YOU CAN CHEAT PRE-SEASON TESTING

McCartin says the pressure to stay on the field could tempt AFL players to “bludge” their way through crucial pre-season concussion protocols.

The former Saint will spend a year out of the game as he tries to overcome the lingering effects of head knocks.

But he revealed he had attempted to boost his chances of beating concussion symptoms by deliberately underperforming when carrying out standard “baseline” testing carried out at every club before the season.

McCartin praised the AFL for beefing up concussion protocols and awareness but said he had once felt the pressure not to miss matches and warned other players not to feel there was a “stigma” attached to missing games due to concussion.

“I think some of the stuff that we do earlier in the season, baseline testing and these computer things, you can bludge your way through it if you want to,” he said.

“It’s your baseline, so it’s what you are at the start of the season when you’re fine.

“And I’ve done this before ... because I’ve had so many concussions, especially early in my career (so) I’m sort of worried about missing games because I was worried about what people think about me and all that kind of crap.

“I’ve done the testing worse on purpose, so that if I do my baseline (testing) again I’m starting from a worse spot than I would before.”

Asked if he believed a lot of players would also intentionally underperform, he said:

“I would say so.

“If I was doing it, then probably other people would too. Maybe I was the only one, but probably not.”

While acknowledging concussion injuries were “all different” and effected players to varying degrees, McCartin hinted longer mandatory breaks might be needed for players who suffer head injuries.

“It’s just this weird concept that people want to push themselves past concussion,” he said.

“It’s not a stigma but it’s something that’s been around forever ... it’s just this reputation that it has around it that ‘oh well, if you get hit in the head just get up and keep going’.

“I think a lot of that is changing but there’s still some of it around.

“The AFL has done a good job but I think but I think definitely there’s guys that have probably played when they’re still struggling a bit.”

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 11:13am I really feel for him but don't believe he'll ever play again - for us or anyone else. I suspect the club (and all those around him) are trying to let him down as gently as possible. He's got a lot of rethinking to do to segue onto some other career path.

Don;t think Paddy would agree with you there.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Good interview this morning on SEN.

He has had a terrible year. Looks like he has some work to do but there is legitimate light at the end of the tunnel for him.

Hopefully he will be OK.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
To the top
SS Life Member

Read the Club announcement and what McCartin has said including his references to the latest round of testing

They are the facts

Past that, being the player he is with the skill set he has, we should all wish him well in recovery - and that he is in a position to resume his career with St Kilda in 2021 because we need players of his calibre and commitment

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah. I would love this to be true and for Paddy to be right. I'm also aware of a place in the Black Forest you can go that cures cancer. It's quite expensive but hope never comes cheap.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I hate the damage that arthritis has done to my body, throw in type 2 diabetes and old age.
I love skiing but I will never ski like I was able, ever again.
I have to accept that and enjoy what my body allows.

Paddy needs to accept that just because you want something does mean you can have it.
He is prone to concussions and only a criminally negligent club would allow him to ever play again.
That does mean he can't enjoy kick to kick down at the nearest park.
Paddy needs to move on, he is no longer a professional footballer.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 7:50pm
sunsaint wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 6:13pm
Devilhead wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 5:31pm
Sorry but there would be an absolute small % of 1st to 3rd year players that ever looks AFL fit and ready to run a whole game out.
hmmm - pretty certain you have Ben King already in that category
SO in 2021 we will have at least two 1-3yr players in that category. Yes???
Sorry ..... Ben King in what category?

Ben King like the majority of 1st to 3rd players is still finding his feet and building fitness and currently struggles to run games out

In time ........ hopefully by the time he pulls on the RWB ........ he will be conditioned to a sufficient standard to be able to dominate in the position we play him whether that be forward or back.

For many players it takes years for them to condition themselves to play senior AFL footy at a high standard - so in the meantime what we have is potential and hopefully with the right development processes in place we can help our young developing players realise their potential.

There were games that Paddy absolutely showed that could make it as as serious AFL player and of course there were other games in which he struggled - that pretty standard for young highly rated draftees
you were talking about first year players ready made to play games - thought thats your "category"
B king since rnd 9 played 14 games and in every game he did not feature less than 70% game time
I would say that falls into your "category" of ready made

I get all the bulshit about development, "building fitness", finding your feet in the AFL yadda yadda
but sometimes when you get thrown into the deep end the cream gets a chance to rise in exactly the same way we saw R Marshall flourish this year
TO bring it it back to the OP I dont think P Mccartin was ever going to be in that "category" due to his on going issues with diabetes - so the big man argument was never going to apply

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

CURLY wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 8:59am Paddy read the ball in flight beautifully and his leading patterns were brilliant. Is a pure forward and many of skills can't be taught they are natural. Was always spoke about at one or two anyone thinking other wise is reinventing history.
i also saw him terribly out of position in packs
stumbling awkwardly into team mates in better position
Not to mention a lot of balls hitting hard flat hands - for a while there posters were claiming it was team rules not take marks
its really just about the history you remember

Seeya
Secret Kiel
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 4:09pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 8:59am Paddy read the ball in flight beautifully and his leading patterns were brilliant. Is a pure forward and many of skills can't be taught they are natural. Was always spoke about at one or two anyone thinking other wise is reinventing history.
i also saw him terribly out of position in packs
stumbling awkwardly into team mates in better position
Not to mention a lot of balls hitting hard flat hands - for a while there posters were claiming it was team rules not take marks
its really just about the history you remember
and whether that history was learnt through social media or actually watching Paddy play live.

To the top
SS Life Member

From comments on this site I would suggest that many are educated other than actually watching a game and the performance of players in that game (in fact, any game)

I would also doubt that many, if any, have actually played at Senior level, or any level for that matter

Is that a polite way of saying you have to trawl thru some abject rubbish on here in pursuit of information not readily (or accurately!) reported in the media?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 4:55pm From comments on this site I would suggest that many are educated other than actually watching a game and the performance of players in that game (in fact, any game)

I would also doubt that many, if any, have actually played at Senior level, or any level for that matter

Is that a polite way of saying you have to trawl thru some abject rubbish on here in pursuit of information not readily (or accurately!) reported in the media?
Couldn't agree more!

Read this tripe!
To the top wrote: Thu 22 Aug 2019 3:31pm Steven is a 4 time B&F winner and of greater value to St Kilda than is Kelly to Geelong (noting Kelly has been at Geelong for how long?)

I would be putting 2 First Round Picks on Steven’s head if Geelong want him
To the top wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 10:41am Acres is a match winner

You do not trade out match winners
To the top wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 4:28pm I repeat that Acres has been a match winner for St Kilda on multiple occasions, delivering a class performance when the game is there to be won
To the top wrote: Mon 04 Sep 2017 1:00pm Geary is part of our Zone defence, a defence that gets cut up as it does week in and week out.

He does NOT negate small forwards.
To the top wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 7:17pm Captaincy should in the first instance be with a player who is an automatic selection

From left field, I would nominate Marshall

I like what I have observed with his leadership and engagement/instruction on field as his confidence at the level has elevated to where it now is

He is an automatic selection

Geary has been surpassed by skilful players we need in our back 6 and Ross, despite his CV, has work to do confirmed by just 22 goals in 124 games - and a hands on hip response when caught out the other way which we have seen too often for mine
To the top wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:42pm Another Ian Stewart decision.

But we keep Steele, Ross and Dunstan to power our centre square and our mid field.

None of Steele, Ross or Dunstan have creativity - and they are all one sided players with ordinary ball skills both by hand and foot including length of disposal by both hand and foot.

They are the coal face of St Kilda and the reason we languish - along with others including the Captain.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

To the top wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 4:55pm From comments on this site I would suggest that many are educated other than actually watching a game and the performance of players in that game (in fact, any game)

Did you or do you play?, and at what level?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you know whether people have played the game or not?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 8:49pm I don’t like to bag the club generally , but it was a poor selection.
He just never looked like a #1 pick.
Admittedly that was a crappy draft talent wise, but the recruiting team of the time just didn’t do enough homework.
I just saw the top 10 for 2014 and the only player that was worthy of a top 10 is de goey. No one else

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Can Paddy be redrafted mid season if things suddenly improved?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!