Jack Bytel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Jack Bytel

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 12:10am
B.M wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 11:05pm Why?

If a C Grade mid is our number 1 midfielder, who cannot spread due to lack of pace, cannot reach stoppages or defend due to having a woeful tank and is a horrible kick is ever our best midfielder... we are indeed s***!

Right now he’s behind
Ross
Hannebury
Steele
Gresham
Jones
Clark

So he’s 7th
Which is ok
If you read my post properly I said he will keep improving IMHO until he is at his peak at 28yo. That's when he will be our best inside mid. Not now/yet.
His kicking is below average for a mid.

Possession count is below average for a full time mid.

Clearance work is very good.

Speed is below average.

Tank is average.

To be an A-Grader, he'll need to be elite in at least 3 of those areas.

To be a B-Grader he'd need to be elite in at least 1-2 of them.

I can't see how at his age he'll be able to do that.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 4:25am
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 12:10am
B.M wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 11:05pm Why?

If a C Grade mid is our number 1 midfielder, who cannot spread due to lack of pace, cannot reach stoppages or defend due to having a woeful tank and is a horrible kick is ever our best midfielder... we are indeed s***!

Right now he’s behind
Ross
Hannebury
Steele
Gresham
Jones
Clark

So he’s 7th
Which is ok
If you read my post properly I said he will keep improving IMHO until he is at his peak at 28yo. That's when he will be our best inside mid. Not now/yet.
His kicking is below average for a mid.

Possession count is below average for a full time mid.

Clearance work is very good.

Speed is below average.

Tank is average.

To be an A-Grader, he'll need to be elite in at least 3 of those areas.

To be a B-Grader he'd need to be elite in at least 1-2 of them.

I can't see how at his age he'll be able to do that.
Time will tell.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If a midfielder is going to be any good, they are by 22/23 (unless they are skinny)

They are fully developed by then, they have played 50 games by then, they are normally physically sound due to their lack of wear and tare and they play with freedom.

Very few (if any?) are rubbish at 25 and suddenly good at 28

If they are ordinary after 6 seasons they are normally overtaken by better younger players and delisted.

Dunstan will not be on the list at 28 imo

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Dunstan will be 25 on January 29. He is a slow burn and is steadily improving. He is an inside bull which is the hardest position in footy. He will never be a flashy player ala Gresham. In three years time he will be one of the best inside midfielders in the comp.

We are supposed to be debating about Jack Bytel not Dunstan.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I'm a fan of Dunstan. We plated better with him in the side in 2019.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Firstly

Inside mid is the second easiest position on the ground in the AFL

Secondly

Wasn’t the thing with Dunstan when he was drafted that he was a man child who was ready to go season 1?

I think you have slow burn confused with slow runner

He ain’t going to all of a sudden get pace or become a good kick?!

He is a GOP

That’s about it!

He has 5 Brownlow votes in 103 games, 2 of those in his third game. He is a midfielder and it’s predominantly a midfielder award. Never been voted BOG.

Compare that to the heavily scrutinised Jack Billings who has played the majority of his career as a HF.
Jack has played 107 games got 28 Brownlow Votes with 6 BOGs.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 11:30am Dunstan will be 25 on January 29. He is a slow burn and is steadily improving. He is an inside bull which is the hardest position in footy. He will never be a flashy player ala Gresham. In three years time he will be one of the best inside midfielders in the comp.

I hate to burst your bubble but Dunstan has gone backwards since his first year. The game has got faster and he simply cant match the speed. The club offerred him up for trade and NOT ONE club was interested, he will be backup only this season. IMO he is another of Trouts very poor draft selections....

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why he chose Dunstan over M Crouch

A Victorian with better numbers as a junior

Love to hear the justification?

Crouch has predictably turned out a gun

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 1:00pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 11:30am Dunstan will be 25 on January 29. He is a slow burn and is steadily improving. He is an inside bull which is the hardest position in footy. He will never be a flashy player ala Gresham. In three years time he will be one of the best inside midfielders in the comp.

I hate to burst your bubble but Dunstan has gone backwards since his first year. The game has got faster and he simply cant match the speed. The club offerred him up for trade and NOT ONE club was interested, he will be backup only this season. IMO he is another of Trouts very poor draft selections....
Got any facts to back up your assertion?

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 12:54pm Firstly

Inside mid is the second easiest position on the ground in the AFL

Secondly

Wasn’t the thing with Dunstan when he was drafted that he was a man child who was ready to go season 1?

I think you have slow burn confused with slow runner

He ain’t going to all of a sudden get pace or become a good kick?!

He is a GOP

That’s about it!

He has 5 Brownlow votes in 103 games, 2 of those in his third game. He is a midfielder and it’s predominantly a midfielder award. Never been voted BOG.

Compare that to the heavily scrutinised Jack Billings who has played the majority of his career as a HF.
Jack has played 107 games got 28 Brownlow Votes with 6 BOGs.
What deluded planet do you live on thinking that the inside mid role is the second easiest position to play. If you are a battering ram then I would agree but players are not battering rams. They are actually human.

Dumbest post of the year B.M.

End of discussion.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I know it’s an easy position to play. You run around the ground getting possessions and go to every stoppage and win clearances. There is not a position on the ground where you can win more possessions. If you have a half decent ruckman you should win 6-8 clearances per game, if you have a tank, some speed and have a dip you should win 20-30 possessions per game, if you have a reasonable defensive mindset you’ll also have about 4-6 tackles.

FFS
Have you ever had a kick?

Have a guess what is the easiest position?

Also try to guess the hardest positions

minneapolis
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 02 Jan 2020 7:09pm Picky, picky and petty.
These are the names of my three pet potbellied pigs.

Two of them are twins so I gave them the same name. I am not confused but they are.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
minneapolis
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 28 Dec 2019 11:31pm The thing about Dunstan is he'll jump on a hand grenade for the team and to win a contest.
I don't want a guy that will jump on a hand grenade. I want a guy that will pick up a hand grenade with one hand and drop it on his wrong foot and slot a 40m goal in the last 3 minutes of a quarter.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 11:20pm I know it’s an easy position to play. You run around the ground getting possessions and go to every stoppage and win clearances. There is not a position on the ground where you can win more possessions. If you have a half decent ruckman you should win 6-8 clearances per game, if you have a tank, some speed and have a dip you should win 20-30 possessions per game, if you have a reasonable defensive mindset you’ll also have about 4-6 tackles.

FFS
Have you ever had a kick?

Have a guess what is the easiest position?

Also try to guess the hardest positions
That is the role Seb Ross plays not Dunstan.

Dunstan plays the blocker at clearances. His role is to prevent space for the opposition target and create space for our target. He is then charged with responsibility of pressure if they win it and if the ball falls out way to release the ball to the outside to a player not under pressure. I have never really seen him play the tap target or release target roles. They are the players that get the armchair ride to bonus stats with first opportunity for hands in ball at clearances. His other role is to win contested ball around the ground so my only criticism in some games is he doesn’t always work back quick enough to impact defensive contests. Some games his work rate is better than others. However when he does get to contests he is impressive especially in big moments. If played every moment like he does the big moments then he would be a star. But at least he plays the big moments well.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t know BFUSA,

Kind of feel like what ur saying is kind of a perpetuation of a bizarre way of thinking that has crept into the game over the last decade or so which is to describe intangibles, use stats (speaking more broadly on that point) to justify a view that is just not evident.

I’ve heard this type of argument so many times in the last decade

Billy Longer... limited disposals, no tackles or mark, no obvious influence but he blocks and creates space and protects midfielders

Mav Weller... stopped kicking goals or getting kicks... but chased, pressured and harassed

Eddy and McQualter... they guarded space

Football is a game and it’s really not that hard... at the end of the day the majority of fans should be able to sit down, watch it and have a reasonable idea and consensus on who played well and who didn’t

You don’t need an abundance of stats or analysis to see that

I think when you’re introducing arguments like he does his role or his effectiveness isn’t measured in stats or direct impact...
Personally I think it’s a foolish way of thinking.

I like Dunstan and have generally been a supporter... but the reality is that unless he’s a tagger which he isn’t, you cannot have a midfielder that doesn’t either win enough ball or be especially damaging when he does get it.

Fact is that unless he improves dramatically... we need someone to force him out

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The job of a midfielder is to win the footy, and pressure the opposition if they win it.

They all have to block, they all have to win the footy, they all have to tackle

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan just doesn't seem to have the tank that the elite players possess, which is a shame, as I think this is the thing that's stopping him reaching his full potential. It took Seb Ross a few years to build that tank, but Dunstan, well, it's hard to know if he can get better in that respect . It's hard to see him playing four dominant quarters in any game. Typically, he'll have a big quarter followed by a very quiet one. He's already played 100 games, so I'd be surprised if his performances took a huge leap from here. I'd love to be wrong.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Luke's stats and performance as a midfielder in 2019 is comparable to some of top stats and peformances of the top midelfieders in the comp. He actually went ok for large chunks of the year

The stats coaches are interested in for midfileders in the modern game are about measuring what happens after the midfielder dispatches the pill. And that's not necessarily looking at the very narrow definition of an effective disposal. The midfiled coach wants to know how many meters were gained or where the ball was received in terms of set plays and game plan. Sometimes that might be achieved by the midfielder off loading to another player to achieve success in a desired set play. That might be a stat to the midfielder deemed as an assist, so assisted meters gained as an example.

You could be a midfielder with really good herald sun stats such as high disposal count or effective disposals but in the coaches eyes you might have had a poor game because you didn't ontribute to successful set plays.

Winning the ball is pretty easy to do for AFL grade midfileders, successful execution is what most struggle with.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s an average kick at best

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Chooses good options with his disposals wich is very good. Sam Mitchell was an average kick.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan is a plodder.

Not sure what the argument is.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Whether it's warranted or not, there is no question Dunstan has something to prove to a sceptical group of his own supporters in 2020.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 08 Jan 2020 8:55pm Dunstan is a plodder.

Not sure what the argument is.
You have absolutely no idea and typical of your moronic style of posting.

<1 day ban for posting negative commentary on another poster>

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The comparison between Dunstan and Mitchell is utterly bizarre.
Sam is pbly the perfect example of a player that had limited attributes and did all the things that Luke is praised for whilst also demonstrating elite qualities.

You actually couldn’t have picked a better player to highlight Luke’s deficiencies.

Look no ones arguing that Dunstan doesn’t have good games or shouldn’t be on the list for now but you can’t reasonably suggest that at this stage of his career, he hasn’t stalled in his development.

Dunstan is a fringe player and has failed to take his game to the next level...
No ifs buts or maybes.

As a midfielder he starts 2020 behind Ross, Steel, Hannebery (if he gets on the park), Hill, Jones, Clarke, Billings & Gresh to name a few.

Avg 12 kicks, 11 handballs and kicked 4 goals in 2019

He needs to get better and in a hurry

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

minneapolis wrote: Wed 08 Jan 2020 6:05am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 02 Jan 2020 7:09pm Picky, picky and petty.
These are the names of my three pet potbellied pigs.

Two of them are twins so I gave them the same name. I am not confused but they are.
Cute! Reminds me of a story I once heard about a single mother of 8 boys who went to Centrelink to have her family benefit reviewed.

The Centrelink guy asked "What is the oldest boy's name?" She replied "Wayne".

"And the second oldest?" "Wayne" she replied.

"Hang on, you said the oldest boy was Wayne!" "All eight of them are named Wayne, it's easier. If they're playing in the back yard a tea is ready I just stand at the back door and scream WAYNE! Then they all come."

The Centrelink bloke shook his head in disbelief, then asked "But, what if you only want one of them?"

"That's easy too" she said. "I just tell out his father's surname!"

Boom, boom!

Saint supporter since '62