Ben Long One Week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Ben Long One Week

He didn’t even grab his head with his hands. When have you ever had contact to the head of any significance and not grabbed your head?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL asks the players on the jury to ask themselves whether they were surprised how quickly Jack Macrae got up from Ben Long's bump, and if they were surprised he wasn't injured.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL: "It's not a case where we're on the margins of whether this is a reportable offence. He's accepted this was low. The question for you is whether a player who comes in with this momentum, who had the potential to tackle by the way ... and makes significant contact with the face ... does this have the chance to cause significant injury?"

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The jurors are Paul Williams, Richard Loveridge and David Neitz and the chairman is David Jones.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda now arguing its case.

― Aristophanes

bigred
Saintsational Legend

OK we're up.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: "We're obviously dealing with split seconds. What is obvious is Macrae is looking at the ball and has Ben Long in vision. To say in some way Macrae was not expecting the bump or a tackle, whatever, in the context of what we see is not an interpretation readily available on the vision."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: It's clearly apparent both players are looking at the ball, are looking at each other, and to say one is not aware of the other is not readily open on the vision.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: There are some basic and fundamental facts which don't require interpretation. However my learned friend Mr Gleeson tries to weave a way through the way impact is described ... what we know, what is concrete - the medical report says there was no head injury. The player stayed on the ground. He continued to play. These things cannot be disputed.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Editorial - Go the Good Guys!

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: The impact from Ben Long was not of sufficient impact to cause any injury at all to player Macrae. That's a critical factor and we say it goes, significantly, to the grading of impact in this matter.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: On the basis of the medical report, which is concrete evidence, we'd suggest that's a really good starting point to understand this impact was low.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda says the previous examples, which distinguish between low and medium impact, are a good guide.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda says the jurors are being invited to "speculate" on the potential to cause injury which adds "a slippery slope to the way we should interpret bumps on the footy field".

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda pointing to the lack of injury as a crucial factor in the impact grading.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: "Here there is not significant head contact. At the last minute, Long has turned around ... we agree there's a 360 pivot by Macrae, but there's no significant head contact."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: "There's no head over the ball, the ball is out in front and the players are looking at each other."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda asks the jurors to deal "on certainty, not on speculation".

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda says Ben Long did not follow through with a full, front-on bump. "He in fact turned ... in an attempt to reduce impact. What he did by that action was reduce the potential to cause injury, not enlarge it. It's the very opposite of what is being contended by Mr Gleeson. Rather than create a potential (for serious injury), he has turned at the last minute and has in effect reduced the capacity for injury."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: "You are allowed to bump in this game, and as experienced members, the jury would understand how these things present over a very short period of time."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda: "This is a glancing impact, it's a low contact, and the impact should be recategorised."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda also brings up Ben Long's history of rough conduct. "It's a bit unfortunate ... what went on earlier in the year is totally irrelevant. As irrelevant as any commentary around Ben Long. It would be unfair if that, in any way, was taken into account. It's this incident, this alone, that is the subject of your deliberations."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The Saints have finished their opening arguments.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The Tribunal chairman tells the jurors to decide this case on the evidence before them, including the medical report, and agrees Long's previous suspension is "totally irrelevant".

― Aristophanes

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I’m convinced. Let him off.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.