Tasmania. Why?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tasmania. Why?

loris wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 8:24pm :?
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 7:50pm Why don't you just try minding your own business and don't come off track with us. You've tried before but failed to improve my intelligence. Again, why do you persist?
Pardon my lack of intelligence CQ SAINT, without you quoting, I can’t decipher who you are responding to 🤔 :wink: it could be one of 3 posters on this thread.

Do you realize Tassie is my favourite State in this wide brown land of AUS and, I’ve seen plenty of it over my to be 79 years. I think the song, “I’ve Been Everywhere Man, I’ve Been Everywhere Man” was written just for me.

A history lesson for those who dislike English lessons. My Tassie claim to fame. I was arrested, when I chained myself to a bull-dozer, when Dr Bob Brown led a motley crew of environmentalists to Save The Gordon Below Franklin oh so long, long ago.

CQ SAINT, do you think that might get me any brownie points from the PE teacher, and forgive me a little for going off topic and worse still for using the quote button??

Sheez (I learnt that word off Vortex), it took me so, so long to work out how to use the quote button, a skill I don’t want to lose, by lack of use.
You'll have to excuse me Loris.
Seeings BM just stated that he doesn't like the quotations, I thought I'd humour him, in case he forgot to follow on after his last post.

I dont mind if you go off topic. We all have a right to contribute.
I followed you off topic, thought that might be interesting.
Then Vortex followed me off topic.
The BM came along.
You've started quite a thing.

I doubt any of this compares to strapping yourself to a tree in Tasmania though. That must have been exciting, not to mention dangerous and again, off topic but closer

I see your soon to be 79 years, don't appear to have held you back in the risk taking arena.
More power to you.

Sheez. Thats an interesting word.
My dad used 'By Jingo'. Another interesting word. Thats been around since Jesus played half back for Jerusalem.
By the living Jesus, turned into By Jingo because St Gengulphus's nic name was Jingo. Its clear the spelling wasn't very important back then either.
Nowadays, kids are taught by phonics and they relate them to symbols.
God nos how they cood lern enyfing.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Obviously a bit lacking

Used her name and also quoted

Give her some credit - she may have been able to work out the fact you were responding to her?? Don’t ya think???

BTW
Are you being a smart arse Loris??

That could be considered baiting, which is against forum rules

And, I thought you’d be above that???

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 7:40pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 10:04am
loris wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 1:09am
Off Topic
Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 8:31pm
B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 8:03pm And it doesn’t matter if you lived there

If you’re not born there - you’re not Tasmanian

Therefore it stands to reason you don’t feel like a proud Tasmanian

I grew up there. Haven’t lived there for 30 years

And still call myself Tasmanian and will barrack for a Tassie team as soon as they come in!
Fair enough B.M. but I just recon it's a numbers game overlaid with a healthy dose of politics.
Recon????? I thought someone with a PhD would know it’s reckon???
Maybe this was a typo? Then, I noticed you’ve been spelling it the same way in a few recent posts.

Mum’s the word though eh? We can’t let the 🔥 Fireman know you too can’t spell. I’m sure Fireman would argue this somewhat lowers the educational prestige of one possessing a PhD.

Oh where, oh where is ‘Spelly’? Definitely need her to return to police spelling & grammar standards on SS?

Funny how a few posters with different nicknames who don’t appear to post here anymore (I think they were banned???). They also spelt reckon as recon.🤷🏽‍♀️
I know right Loris, nothing gets past Firey, he's hot (no pun intended) on the finer points of written expression, it's why I have a PhD in Microsoft Word, without it me spellin N gramma would be even more teribler.

I remember Spelly, sheez that's going back a while now though aye!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
V. I do luv you moor, now that you’ve got off your angry pills 😘
As I always say to Firey, I'm a giver make people feel the full compliment of emotions, I hope you know it's always from a place of love with my fellow Sainters, hell we've been coming to this place for near on a couple of decades, some days it feels like like we've become those cranky relatives thrust together at Xmas time.

Hey Loris you say you were strapping yourself to Dozers in Tassie, did you or any of your hippie mates also get involved in that brewhaha up at the Daintree back in the 80s?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 11:40pm

Hey Loris you say you were strapping yourself to Dozers in Tassie, did you or any of your hippie mates also get involved in that brewhaha up at the Daintree back in the 80s?
No Vortex, I only watched from afar the Herculean efforts of the protesters at Cape Tribulation over the years.

An interesting aside. I was in Brunei in late October 1984. My husband was giving a presentation at a security conference. One evening we were at a government function & the Minister for Housing & Construction ( I think that was it’s nomenclature in them, there days), Chris Hurford and his entourage were also in attendance.

Hurford was seriously telling ‘my man’ the embarrassing news he had heard that day from the Daintree, for both the State & Federal governments. .The road had finally been opened after so many false attempts due to weather events & protesters efforts. However, the pollies & dignitaries that were in the first cars to travel the new road (only for a photo shoot IMHO) had all got bogged and had to be rescued by being bulldozed out!!

I chuckled at this image and made some inane comment to said Minister on how thankfully the environment often will make the feeble attempts of humans to tame it look ridiculous.
I don’t think Mr Minister was enamored with my opinion. Hubby was tho’. He later said to me, “your comment put him back on track - for him to discuss with his hosts what they wanted to talk off the record about - trade opportunities with Australia”.

My passions in life are animal rights and protecting the natural environment. Ofcourse my love for the Saints completes my holy trinity 😇

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

As I always say to Firey, I'm a giver make people feel the full compliment of emotions, I hope you know it's always from a place of love with my fellow Sainters, hell we've been coming to this place for near on a couple of decades, some days it feels like like we've become those cranky relatives thrust together at Xmas time.

Well i'm afraid the only emotions I get from you require a trip to the lavatory

on a side note , I'd like to thank you Loris for helping to save that beautiful part of the world, I know it well, my wife came from Kettering so visited it many times.
Tasmania certainly didnt need anymore dams.
well done.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

this fella
Robin Trevor Gray (born 1 March 1940) is a former Australian politician who was Premier of Tasmania from 1982 to 1989. A Liberal, he was elected Liberal state leader in 1981 and in 1982 defeated the Labor government of Harry Holgate on a policy of "state development," particularly the building of the Franklin Dam, a hydroelectric dam on the Franklin River. He was only the second non-Labor premier to hold the post in 48 years, and the first in 51 years to govern in majority.
No Dams Robin

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 8:26am

Well i'm afraid the only emotions I get from you require a trip to the lavatory

on a side note , I'd like to thank you Loris for helping to save that beautiful part of the world, I know it well, my wife came from Kettering so visited it many times.
Tasmania certainly didnt need anymore dams.
well done.
When I lived there, the Hydro bosses ran Tasmania , not the weak arsed Government. Bob and his crew put a spanner in their works. So, many thanks Loris.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 3:14am

No Vortex, I only watched from afar the Herculean efforts of the protesters at Cape Tribulation over the years.

An interesting aside. I was in Brunei in late October 1984. My husband was giving a presentation at a security conference. One evening we were at a government function & the Minister for Housing & Construction ( I think that was it’s nomenclature in them, there days), Chris Hurford and his entourage were also in attendance.

Hurford was seriously telling ‘my man’ the embarrassing news he had heard that day from the Daintree, for both the State & Federal governments. .The road had finally been opened after so many false attempts due to weather events & protesters efforts. However, the pollies & dignitaries that were in the first cars to travel the new road (only for a photo shoot IMHO) had all got bogged and had to be rescued by being bulldozed out!!

I chuckled at this image and made some inane comment to said Minister on how thankfully the environment often will make the feeble attempts of humans to tame it look ridiculous.
I don’t think Mr Minister was enamored with my opinion. Hubby was tho’. He later said to me, “your comment put him back on track - for him to discuss with his hosts what they wanted to talk off the record about - trade opportunities with Australia”.

My passions in life are animal rights and protecting the natural environment. Ofcourse my love for the Saints completes my holy trinity 😇

Some images of the Heculean efforts. Unfortunately the road did go through, it's now bitumen sealed all the way to just past Cape Trib and as each year goes by more and more of the Bloomfield track up to Cooktown is also sealed, and now the battle front is the push to put a bridge over the Daintree River and connect the Daintree with the national power grid. It will be devastating if those things happen. I remember the days when it was all dirt track and you needed a 4WD.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I am intrigued about almost anything Australia history these days. (Living in Japan does that to me)

I was too young but I do remember the Franklin thing being very handy for Bob’s ALP. (And later the Americas cup)

But nowadays, with call for nuclear energy etc. becoming an almost centrist position among the pod dies I listen to, the incredible wealth that Australias mines have generated, I really wonder about the legacies of ‘70s environmentalism.

ChatGPT told me that the Tassie state election of ‘75 put Labor down there in the power position, but in November 1981, there was an election with a massive swing to the liberals - the first time a lib majority government got a clean go of it. Perhaps they were drunk on the power.

Now flooding a wildnerness, building a hydro dam vs knocking up a nuclear power station? I wonder if the students at high school debate that in 2022?

Or using natural gas, pretending it is not fossil fuel.. (and blaming coal for everything) or perhaps promoting hydrogen power, which takes fossil fuels to make efficiently, I wonder what people think discuss about that? Let alone chain themselves to bulldozers.

My guess, is that young people ask themselves which ones to invest in in the coming decade. Or resign themselves to the fact that their super fund depends on the energy shambolics moving on.

I read a book by Alan Villiers. A Melbournian born in 1903, who went to sea in sailing vessels during their last decades of existence. He described Melbourne (at least where he lived, Yarraville) as being) a sh¥t hole, and he described Hobart in the most enchanting terms.

Rose coloured glasses for Tassie I have.

Unless they change the name of the island to St Kilda (which might not be so bad. Who cares about Tasman) I don’t want the Saints to relocate there.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Why?
There is no good reason.
Throwing public money into another money pit.
It's someone's ego trip on opm.
Have a state referendum: team and oval or better health facilities.
Is there no end to mendacity down there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 11:37am I am intrigued about almost anything Australia history these days. (Living in Japan does that to me)

I was too young but I do remember the Franklin thing being very handy for Bob’s ALP. (And later the Americas cup)

But nowadays, with call for nuclear energy etc. becoming an almost centrist position among the pod dies I listen to, the incredible wealth that Australias mines have generated, I really wonder about the legacies of ‘70s environmentalism.

ChatGPT told me that the Tassie state election of ‘75 put Labor down there in the power position, but in November 1981, there was an election with a massive swing to the liberals - the first time a lib majority government got a clean go of it. Perhaps they were drunk on the power.

Now flooding a wildnerness, building a hydro dam vs knocking up a nuclear power station? I wonder if the students at high school debate that in 2022?

Or using natural gas, pretending it is not fossil fuel.. (and blaming coal for everything) or perhaps promoting hydrogen power, which takes fossil fuels to make efficiently, I wonder what people think discuss about that? Let alone chain themselves to bulldozers.

My guess, is that young people ask themselves which ones to invest in in the coming decade. Or resign themselves to the fact that their super fund depends on the energy shambolics moving on.

I read a book by Alan Villiers. A Melbournian born in 1903, who went to sea in sailing vessels during their last decades of existence. He described Melbourne (at least where he lived, Yarraville) as being) a sh¥t hole, and he described Hobart in the most enchanting terms.

Rose coloured glasses for Tassie I have.

Unless they change the name of the island to St Kilda (which might not be so bad. Who cares about Tasman) I don’t want the Saints to relocate there.
Well, he got one out of two. Yarraville was and is a s*** hole. Hobart is a pretty place but f****** cold. The winds coming off Mt Wellington cut you to the bone.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

it can get a little crisp 'n dismal on the south by southwesters
which can blow with an uncommon gusto

this is unarguable

i did some time in Footscray just back from the bay 'n that was a cold hole as well

as cold as Slowbart

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.