I think Ratts is cooked…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: I think Ratts is cooked…

We have more chance of luring Ben King to the club than we do of Clarko even answering a phone call from someone at the club, and as we know, there is more chance of Max King playing at the GC than there is of Ben coming our way.

Just my way of saying this is a bat shyte crazy thread but I also get the frustration.

2021 was over in round 3. Time to prepare for 2023.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The thing about making the coach talk to fans after games is that either the coach eventually goes nuts trying to explain the inexplicable or they resign. Ratts looked almost unhinged on the last message. The quiet desperation and fury. I hope either he makes therapeutic excisions from the squad or takes a few of the management team with him on the way out. He will be reconsidering his advice to give Hill the ball. That's one the players worked out well before him, regardless of instructions from above.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Cooked Ratts. What would you cook them in? Rat Bourbignon sound nice

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 11:54am On the discussion of a one paced midfield. Dogs have MacRae, Bont, Libba, Hunter and Dunkley. Cats have The Ducker, Guthrie and Dangerfield. Dees have Oliver, Viney, Petracca and Brayshaw.
None of the above would be a favorite in a Stawell gift.
All of the above have an astute coach and a slick ball movement game plan. Leg speed or skilled mids is not our problem. Friday night and all year it has been the Coach and his game plan to move it quick into F50.
True but some leg speed to clear a contest is still required
Patracca looks faster than Crouch Dunstan abs Steele
Ball movement and great decision making can trump it that’s why I want Clarke being told this off-season get supreme fitness cause it’s midfield or bust now mate

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 11:54am On the discussion of a one paced midfield. Dogs have MacRae, Bont, Libba, Hunter and Dunkley. Cats have The Ducker, Guthrie and Dangerfield. Dees have Oliver, Viney, Petracca and Brayshaw.
None of the above would be a favorite in a Stawell gift.
All of the above have an astute coach and a slick ball movement game plan. Leg speed or skilled mids is not our problem. Friday night and all year it has been the Coach and his game plan to move it quick into F50.
There is one significant difference with all the above midfields is their consistent work rate and skill levels.

It has been a roller coaster year, but with the jnjuries we've had it's too early to judge Ratts. Every body was ringing his praises last year, so lets see what he can do with a fitter list next year.

What I believe places Ratts in front of other coaches, is he has fully embraced the club. He loves the place and it's people and you can see his passion and wants sucess for the club. That trait plus his humility and ability to admit his mistakes and move on without any baggage, makes him the right person for our club - right now!!

I have complete faith Ratts is the right man to lead our club forward and with some decisive recruiting he will get our team deep into September/October.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t

We are a rabble of a team too often

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 3:23pm I don’t

We are a rabble of a team too often
Look at the affect injuries have had on Richmond! They have gone from premiership favourites to like us and not making the finals. Most of the teams in the top 4 have had a good run with injuries or like the Dogs & Cats have great list depth as cover. None have lost the key players like we have for the season!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Personnel does not effect effort and structure.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 4:07pm Personnel does not effect effort and structure.
I maintain that for the first half of the year the group lacked the required fitness and some players still do eg Coffield.

The available personnel definitely effects the teams ability to maintain their structures! You only have to look at the difference just having both Ryder & Marshall playing has on the team. Then as I have said in other posts the continued loss of key players I believe has effected the teams psyche (confidence) and accordingly their ability to remain consistent.

If you have a group 5 or 10% off physically like they were earlier in the year or mentally the end result is fluctuations in form. Granted Ratten is in charge of the overall fitness & training program but he is only one wheel in the cog. They have made mistakes this year and some players have regressed but I think with some new assistants you will see a very different St Kilda side come the start on 2022.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If you took Shane Warne, Mark Taylor, and Glen McGrath out of the 1998 test team and replaced them with B grade shield players, you don't think that would have made the Australian team weaker? If you are constantly missing between five and eight of you best 22 for the whole season, it starts to bite, no matter who you are. Just ask Damian Hardwick

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 6:10pm If you took Shane Warne, Mark Taylor, and Glen McGrath out of the 1998 test team and replaced them with B grade shield players, you don't think that would have made the Australian team weaker? If you are constantly missing between five and eight of you best 22 for the whole season, it starts to bite, no matter who you are. Just ask Damian Hardwick
That’s not the reason we lost to Carlton. Of Port. Or Sydney. Or Adelaide. Or Geelong…

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t mean you roll in over and get beat by 80 and 110

Give up 5 goal leads against average opponents

And lose games you should win

We have underperformed this season. No doubt.

Given injuries I’d say 10/11 wins acceptable

We will win 8/9

happy feet
Club Player

If you want Ratten gone, then who is available to replace him that would be better? Clarkson? Apparently in the box seat for the Collingwood gig. Lyon? No thanks.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep can’t just use injuries
Kicking 5.17 against Cats
Giving up 36 point lead against Crows
Not showing up at all against Bombers/Dogs
Carlton debacle where we were supposed to have the midfield upper hand ...and allow them 12 goals from turnovers and 20 intercept marks....
Not all that’s injuries....there are real structure/game plan problems but to mention skill errors
Watch Callum Wilkie get 30 today, kick a goal abs go at 89% efficiency??????? We can dream

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 7:24pm If you want Ratten gone, then who is available to replace him that would be better? Clarkson? Apparently in the box seat for the Collingwood gig. Lyon? No thanks.
We won’t sack Ratts
2 years
1 finals
1 crap
He has next year for mine
IF blow outs continue, poor forward line efficiency, dumb kick out strategy, bombs into forward 50 abs daft selections of 3 small forwards...he ought to go
I’ll be livid if they re-sign him early in the year there is no need to do a Richo here

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ratts contract will be reviewed about R16 next year

If we are looking like playing finals

2 more years

If we are 7-8 or worse

Look for another

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 1:00pm Cooked Ratts. What would you cook them in? Rat Bourbignon sound nice
Rat ragù?

or...maybe French ratatouille

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ratts did look frustrated last presser but he needs to show some teeth
It’s his head on the block next year

“Yeah….nah””
spert
Saintsational Legend

We failed to use the centre corridor anywhere enough against Carlton- they woke up to us playing the outside game along the wings and kept hemming our players in along the boundary with good defensive pressure..happened for most of the game and forced us into errors and turnovers. Teague did his homework, and Ratts didn't change anything.

SaintDippa
Club Player

[quote="happy feet" post_id=1917996 time=1627806242 user_id=17761]
If you want Ratten gone, then who is available to replace him that would be better? Clarkson? Apparently in the box seat for the Collingwood gig. Lyon? No thanks.
[/quote]

Apologies for not being able to embed quotes properly. (tip appreciated)

I would only remove Ratts if Clarko says challenge accepted.
FIrst thing, love my footy especially watching the way the top sides move the footy, structure forward of the ball, clear stoppage and deliver into an open f50 to leading targets.
Then - to my frustration - I watch the Ratts coached Saints. Chalk, meet Cheese.

repta
Club Player

They cant afford to get rid of him, however they have very very big issues down at the Saints.

Dedication to the Team
- Players are just doing what they like. Going off to find their roots, Wives that cant cope etc etc.
- If it is not an issue then think of it this way. Yeates hit Brereton in the 89 Grand FInal. Nothing would stop his will to play.
- Every single high performing team has the same mentality.

Game Plan
- Extremely one dimensional and getting worse.
- At this rate King will end up being the be all and end all of kicking goals. All routes through King.
- There is nothing original in the game plan. It is same same and relatively easy to combat. All teams that have had sustained success have done it with an edge.

Personal
- We have some major issues with the makeup of the team.
- The age brackets are all wrong, or better it is not balanced. Worse still it is is not heading towards the correct balance. This is the result of the (failed) recruiting strategy.
- It will take years to fix. Last time I counted we need to get rid of around 10 players that need to go.

Ratten
- Worlds nicest guy. Loving and warm like a big cuddly teddy bear.
- A coach without ruthlessness has ever had long term success.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Ratts might retire on his own volition against the wishes of the club. He looks tired and stressed. His team is broken and unreliable. He can’t count on them to make themselves available, and even when they do, he can’t count on them to give the full effort, to be fully fit aerobically or recovered from injury.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he just says, ‘thanks, I’m moving on’.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Games missed through injury/unavailability to Round 19:

19: Hannebery, Paton
18:
17:
16: Geary, Gresham
15:
14:
13: Carlisle, Frawley
12:
11:
10:
9: Marshall, McKenzie, McKernan
8: Jones
7: Kent, Ryder
6: Clark
5: Byrnes
4: Wood
3: Battle, Coffield, Higgins, Joyce
2: Bytel, Connolly, Crouch, Ross, Webster
1: Billings, Clavarino, Highmore, King, Membrey, Sinclair
0: Butler, Dunstan, Hill, Howard, Hunter, Long, Lonie, Sharman, Steele, Wilkie, (Allison)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 7:24pm If you want Ratten gone, then who is available to replace him that would be better? Clarkson? Apparently in the box seat for the Collingwood gig. Lyon? No thanks.
I think Bing will be St Kilda before Clarkson is at Collingwood and Bing is contracted to play at Gold Coast in 2022.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?