Changes v Power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Power

samoht wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 1:53pm Not at all.
Jones would improve the team, even with the other 4 replacements.
Butler isn't exactly setting the world on fire - and could probably use a rest.
Sure if a players output is down replace him with a player who will be an upgrade, don't shoot yourself in the foot and downgrade. Who is an upgrade on Buttler in his position and role?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I have shot myself in the foot, already ... I'll stop posting while I can still walk on the other foot. :wink:

(Butler is an important player ... and I take your point).
Last edited by samoht on Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 11:55am I'd be resting Marshall. Corks are nasty and a plane ride up and back for a big man is not goingto help it all. We have an 8 day break after this game so plenty of time for him to recover for Melb where we are defintley going to need two rucks. I reckon we can go with Ryder by himself and bring in another mid.
Thank you, this is the way to go

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re Butler and Wood.

Both play roles in the side that can't be measured purely on stats we have access too.

Wings spend a lot of time "holding shape" for the side, often not resulting in any chance of possession.

Half forwards similarly have to run up the ground and stretch the oppositions structure and then also provide defensive pressure.

From my perspective both appear to be doing their jobs, Butler would only be at risk imo if he drops off from a pressure perspective. There will come a game where it is his turn to hit the scoreboard too.

Wood is probably only at risk when billings becomes available again.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mason Wood is +40% on player rankings from last year.

Who would we replace him with to improve the side?

At this stage I'm not sure I'd be dropping Wood for Billings.

Maybe NWM or Windy but dropping Wood before those two for Billings is crazy talk.

And especially for a game in Cairns where a strong athletic profile will be highly desirable.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

In:Ryder Lienert
Out: Hayes Wood (managed)
Sub: Sharman

Webster Howard Sinclair
Jones Battle Wilkie
NVM McKenzie Hill
Crouch Marshall Butler
Higgins King Membrey

Ryder Steele Gresham

Ross Windhager Paton Lienert

Minimal changes. No grinding down Port for me. We should go all out for a goalfest.
Jones gets a run if he is well, finds some output in defence and minutes through the middle in warm up for Melbourne.
I think we could afford to rest Marshall and that would be handy for the Melbourne gameand play Heath at FF with Max playing CHF but I don't think the selectors would be thinking that way yet.

Saintmike65
Club Player

samoht wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 12:27pm Out: Hayes inj, Marshall, Butler, Webster, Lienert ... all rested.
In: Ryder, Byrnes, Jones definite in if ready, Connolly (or Owen/Peris), Highmoore ... just to give our other likely (and up and coming) players a run. We need to get games into everyone, and they are all good replacements.

DON’t FLIRT WITH FORM!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It is not just Port this weekend, it is getting ready for the Dees and Cats games to follow.

Ryder for Hayes.

Jones in. Most likely for Nasiah or Windhager. Though Wood would be a possibility.

Billings to play this weekend I suspect, but they may bring him back via Sandy.

And with Nasiah and Windy, it is also about managing them as players and given them a rest some weeks. ie as with Owens last weekend.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:41pm In:Ryder Lienert

Webster Howard Sinclair
Jones Battle Wilkie
NVM McKenzie Hill
Crouch Marshall Butler
Higgins King Membrey

Ryder Steele Gresham

Minimal changes. No grinding down Port for me. We should go all out for a goalfest.
Jones gets a run if he is well, finds some output in defence and minutes through the middle in warm up for Melbourne.
I think we could afford to rest Marshall and that would be handy for the Melbourne gameand play Heath at FF with Max playing CHF but I don't think the selectors would be thinking that way yet.
And what it if the torrential rain persists (already up to 700mm since last Thursday).

Do you still put a skinny and light Sharman in for a strong and athletic Wood who is +40% up on player rankings from last year.

This game could be a very hard physical slog in torrential rain, doesn't sound like conditions for a goal fest of cheapys.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:52pm

And what it if the torrential rain persists (already up to 700mm since last Thursday).

Weather forecast does not indicate that at all.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Webster Howard Sinclair
Jones Battle Wilkie
NVM McKenzie Hill
Crouch Marshall Butler
Higgins King Membrey

Ryder Steele Gresham

Do you still put a skinny and light Sharman in for a strong and athletic Wood who is +40% up on player rankings from last year.

This game could be a very hard physical slog in torrential rain, doesn't sound like conditions for a goal fest of cheapys.
I'm managing Wood, for the sake of a full strength defence, where I'd introduce Jones with a sweeping role to help him find his feet.
The weather will be affecting both teams. We won't shake this midfield like we have others and they will try pressuring and manning us up.
Its a good prelude to Melb and Geelong.
We will need to control the tempo of the game and run and spread.
I'm not planning on using the sub but if nothing else, Sharman has impact on his side.
He can easily hide in our forward line if a mid goes down, counter-intuitive to what I think the selectors will do, but I'm.not confident playing Marshall is the best idea.
Id prefer to blood Heath, rest Marshall and put in an extra mid.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:54pm

Ok put my local knowledge of the weather aside for a moment, are you dropping Wood for Sharman?

Saintmike65
Club Player

I’ve got a feeling Windhager will be rested this week & NWM the following week against Melbourne.
Likely ins Ryder for Hayes and Jones for Windhager.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:06pm

Webster Howard Sinclair
Jones Battle Wilkie
NVM McKenzie Hill
Crouch Marshall Butler
Higgins King Membrey

Ryder Steele Gresham

I'm managing Wood, for the sake of a full strength defence, where I'd introduce Jones with a sweeping role to help him find his feet.
The weather will be affecting both teams. We won't shake this midfield like we have others and they will try pressuring and manning us up.
I'm not planning on using the sub but if nothing else, Sharman has impact on his side.
He can easily hide in our forward line if a mid goes down, counter-intuitive to what I think the selectors will do, but I'm.not confident playing Marshall is the best idea.
I just can't see all three of Sharman, NWM and Windy in the side. Wood has been huge for our 2 way running defence so I just can't see him being dropped and especially for Sharman.

The rest of what you say sounds logical.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:52pm And what it if the torrential rain persists (already up to 700mm since last Thursday).
It has been raining off and on for the last couple of weeks in Cairns, and was p*ssing down with strong gushes of wind for the last couple of days, but is just a bit cloudy today. Saturday early prediction is partly cloudy all day but some rain possible from around 7pm.

[edit] Maritime wind predictions - Moderate during day but mild after 6pm]
Last edited by SaintWiki on Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:12pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:06pm

Webster Howard Sinclair
Jones Battle Wilkie
NVM McKenzie Hill
Crouch Marshall Butler
Higgins King Membrey

Ryder Steele Gresham

I just can't see all three of Sharman, NWM and Windy in the side. Wood has been huge for our 2 way running defence so I just can't see him being dropped and especially for Sharman.

The rest of what you say sounds logical.
Wood is closer to 29 than 28, has played for 10 years and averaged 8 games a year.
I'm confident that his problem has been fitness, rather than skill or opportunity. The rest won't hurt him.
Don't worry about Windhager, he can hold his own.
NVM will be vital on a wet pitch, his running patterns are clever and while it appears he may be trying to be a pivot point out of defence more often, he can just play as a true wing and he knows how to keep his width from stoppages and where and when to run.
Sinclair, Gresham, Steele, McKenzie, Crouch, Ross, Jones, Paton, Windhager and Membrey should provide all the bulk and power we need.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If we rest Marshall because of the flight, we are effectively giving away premiership points Flr interatate cash grab games. What a terrible short sighted strategy - and recipe to ensure we won’t be successful!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:46pm If we rest Marshall because of the flight, we are effectively giving away premiership points Flr interatate cash grab games. What a terrible short sighted strategy - and recipe to ensure we won’t be successful!!
Hayes injury was far more short sighted. Lol planning both those injuries at once, absurd.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:21pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:52pm And what it if the torrential rain persists (already up to 700mm since last Thursday).
It has been raining off and on for the last couple of weeks in Cairns, and was p*ssing down with strong gushes of wind for the last couple of days, but is just a bit cloudy today. Saturday early prediction is partly cloudy all day but some rain possible from around 7pm.

Was very dry leading up to Thursday and since then we have received the following at the racecourse rain guage:

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:51pm

Was very dry leading up to Thursday and since then we have received the following at the racecourse rain guage:

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
How the track?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:54pm

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
How the track?
Good if you are in a dingy

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:55pm

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
How the track?
How about the good ship St.Kilda?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:07pm
saintsRrising wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 2:54pm

Ok put my local knowledge of the weather aside for a moment, are you dropping Wood for Sharman?

I cannot see Sharman being selected this week, and not as a direct swap for Wood.

If Wood was an out, it would be for Jones, or possibly Billings.

Wood is very fit, and has a huge tank. So will be suited to playing in the tropical conditions.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 26 Apr 2022 4:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:57pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:55pm

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
How the track?
How about the good ship St.Kilda?
The Cazalys surface is probably one of the best in the country, bowling green quality, they invested heavily a few years back and upgraded the drainage system and so it clears the water relatively quickly however with the the monsoon trough hovering around the Cairns latitude, the saturation point is likely to still be around 100% come Saturday so any rain on the day is going to make the game look like a 100m Olympic swimming event.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 4:06pm Was very dry leading up to Thursday and since then we have received the following at the racecourse rain guage:

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
Are you sure you have your days right? - I haven't seen the racecourse guage but that list looks something like Wed to Mon, not a drop of rain since well before daylight today. Generally mild to light winds, whisky clouds and little spasms of sunshine.