Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Billings

Gershwin wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 10:39am
B.M wrote: Wed 18 May 2022 7:40pm He is in our best 12 - easily

Funniest thing I heard in the post match

Dougal Howard -
“Seb and JB turned the game in the third quarter”

LMAO
Steele, Sinclair, Marshall, Ryder, Howard, Wilkie, King, Membrey, Gresham, Crouch, Hill and Ross.
Who is he better than?
I have Billings in the 13-18 group of players which includes Paton, Higgins, Battle, Clark, Butler, McKenzie. It is actually a really important group of players for our success this year.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I think when ppl do retrospective drafts, and I've seen a few of them. Billings is not redrafted in any of the experts top 10, retrospectively.
He has mainly played in very average footy teams since his debut. He rarely makes us better or worse, he's vanilla. I don't care what anyone says, to me for a number 3 pick, that's disappointing. I'll keep saying it, we drafted him on the premise that he was an elite kick. My eyes tell me he is NOT an elite kick as once again evidenced by his game last weekend when he missed two clutch goals in the last quarter. Someone on here laughably stated tat we should go easy on him or something, because he only just missed one of the goals :lol:

If he plays like he did last weekend until the end of the year, then yes, he is extremely valuable to our club. Consistency is an issue with him though and after 9 seasons that shouldn't be the case. If he's going to play HF then he needs to kick those goals. His good games should be 2-3 goals (like Luke Bruest) Instead he played a good game on the weekend and we he kicked 1.2. IF we had lost that game I wonder how many of his defenders would have said, he only just missed that goal from 40m out directly in front?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

Billings had 11 turnovers. The definition states that when you 'turnover',you lose the ball to opposition in general play.

So 22 possessions and 11 turnovers.
How is this forgiven?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 2:07pm https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

Billings had 11 turnovers. The definition states that when you 'turnover',you lose the ball to opposition in general play.

How is this forgiven?
I guess it's like trying to explain why he only had 4 clangers and a disposal efficiency of 63% when you add your 11 turnovers - the mystique of stats and what a person is searching for can be found anywhere, at anytime.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 5:23pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 2:07pm https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

How is this forgiven?
I guess it's like trying to explain why he only had 4 clangers and a disposal efficiency of 63% when you add your 11 turnovers - the mystique of stats and what a person is searching for can be found anywhere, at anytime.
What’s the saying..?

Numbers can lie and people that lie use numbers to do it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

How is this forgiven?
Its possible that he touched 33 times but not likely.
17 uncontested
8 marks
14 effective
11 turnovers. (Possibly taken from him 7 times + 4 clangers).
Whats clear is he gets the ball in transition a fair bit for a high half forward but prefers to avoid traffic because he doesn't fair well in that type of contest.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

My one wish for today is that posters get the f*** off Billings' back.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 5:48pm

How is this forgiven?
What’s the saying..?

Numbers can lie and people that lie use numbers to do it.
Perhaps the truth is in the teams form with the averages Wood has thrown up, add Wanganeen-Milera and Hill and you see our improvement in moving the ball through transition. Billings adds to that even further but might be strictly an outside type, who needs work on his disposal and contested play.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 6:12pm My one wish for today is that posters get the f*** off Billings' back.
Hey, chill out, we fixed Seb Ross. We can fix Billings too. 🙄

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 6:24pm
saynta wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 6:12pm My one wish for today is that posters get the f*** off Billings' back.
Hey, chill out, we fixed Seb Ross. We can fix Billings too. 🙄
One can be forgiven for being under the false impression that this site was a SUPPORTERS forum.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did pretty well in traffic to kick his goal

Didn’t take a backward or short step when he took the mark running back either

I think a few things about Jack are over played

He’s actually very good in traffic- and is pretty tough for a HF/Winger

And consistently wins a lot of footy for the position he plays

Just doesn’t convert well enough!

He is a 50% man… if he was 65% with his output- he’d be elite

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 6:41pm Did pretty well in traffic to kick his goal

Didn’t take a backward or short step when he took the mark running back either

I think a few things about Jack are over played

He’s actually very good in traffic- and is pretty tough for a HF/Winger

And consistently wins a lot of footy for the position he plays

Just doesn’t convert well enough!

He is a 50% man… if he was 65% with his output- he’d be elite
Agreed. He isn't a shirker, I dont doubt his courage.

I think he over thinks at times and lacks just a little finesse in his movement.

His best, instinctive football is great. But its clear he will never be a clearance mid, he needs space and time to work an opponent over but does some very memorable and brave efforts. Perhaps he carries the 3 pick failure stigma. Whatever he had as a junior, was rebuilt over a number of years and stress injuries, when he got out there with the big boys.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 6:07pm

How is this forgiven?
17 uncontested
8 marks
14 effective
Whats clear is he gets the ball in transition a fair bit for a high half forward but prefers to avoid traffic because he doesn't fair well in that type of contest.
If you say so champ.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 7:22pm

How is this forgiven?
17 uncontested
8 marks
14 effective
If you say so champ.
Lol. You have to dispose of the ball to register a disposal Ghost, but you don't have to dispose of the ball with a handball or kick to turn it over. Its not brain surgery. It's called contested possessions. The problem is the turnover bit.

takeaway
Club Player

How is this forgiven?
11 turnovers? That is good. Jack was having a real go. Good to see.

Jack Sinclair - vs Demons 12 turnovers, vs Power 11 turnovers

Leaders in turnovers in 2022 - Bailey Smith, Oliver, Sinclair, Touk Miller, Cripps, etc most of the big guns who are always in at the coal face, but good to see JB getting in there enough to get 11 turnovers.

Thanks for that.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 7:34pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 7:22pm

How is this forgiven?
17 uncontested
8 marks
14 effective
If you say so champ.
Lol. You have to dispose of the ball to register a disposal Ghost, but you don't have to dispose of the ball with a handball or kick to turn it over. Its not brain surgery. It's called contested possessions. The problem is the turnover bit.
Your shovel is working OT CQ.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't seem that long ago players were getting criticised for turning the ball over, are they now getting lauded for the same thing ?

Football can be a tough game to follow.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Lol. Now he gets compared to Smith, Oliver, Miller and Cripps and the leagues big guns playing in the coalface. He has the turnovers, now he just needs clearances, contested possessions and a position in the coal face. He is a transition player who runs his guts out and waits for the backline to rebound.
If he maintains his form and stays healthy, he can be a match winner but its been a while and on the weekend he missed his chance, literally.

Crossy66
Club Player

Very good footballer

takeaway
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 8:17pm Lol. Now he gets compared to Smith, Oliver, Miller and Cripps and the leagues big guns playing in the coalface. He has the turnovers, now he just needs clearances, contested possessions and a position in the coal face. He is a transition player who runs his guts out and waits for the backline to rebound.
If he maintains his form and stays healthy, he can be a match winner but its been a while and on the weekend he missed his chance, literally.
I don't think Billings is the "match winning" type. More like a persistent and quality contributor to a victory. Still, who put us in front last week?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 8:17pm Lol. Now he gets compared to Smith, Oliver, Miller and Cripps and the leagues big guns playing in the coalface. He has the turnovers, now he just needs clearances, contested possessions and a position in the coal face. He is a transition player who runs his guts out and waits for the backline to rebound.
Only using the stat you used to pot him. No one claimed any more. Quite funny the length people want to go to as they try to justify their cannings of him. Let the hindsight flogs still claim the Bont, it didn't happen, it's 2022.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 8:43pm
Only using the stat you used to pot him. No one claimed any more. Quite funny the length people want to go to as they try to justify their cannings of him. Let the hindsight flogs still claim the Bont, it didn't happen, it's 2022.
11 turnovers? That is good. Jack was having a real go. Good to see.

Jack Sinclair - vs Demons 12 turnovers, vs Power 11 turnovers

Leaders in turnovers in 2022 - Bailey Smith, Oliver, Sinclair, Touk Miller, Cripps, etc most of the big guns who are always in at the coal face, but good to see JB getting in there enough to get 11 turnovers.

Yep, no comparisons there. He did turn it over like the best though.

I didn't pot him. I pointed out he had 11 turnovers. In review, I just watched he game again and counted every possession and unfortunately, most of the turnovers were kicks. Kick taken under no pressure.
In the third, when he supposedly swung the game, he did it with 2 effective kicks, 2 effective handballs, I clearance and a goal. Huge effort. He only fluffed 2 of his 6 possessions. He did run into a Paddy tap and made a great decision to hand pass to Long in the pocket which created 2 goals.
The last was his best because he had a match high 6 possessions. All kicks. He only fluffed 2 kicks, both shots on goal.
All in all, given the stats, the hype on here and the turnovers, he was brilliantly inaccurate with his kicking and created as many opportunities for Geelong as he did for St.Kilda.
I hope he can work on his kicking, apparently his biggest strength, and do better.
Currently, he has a bit of work to do to put himself into the top dozen players but I think we all know that. The Fanboi carry on is a bit over the top though.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Well well well.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just look at Billings in the contest of the Saints 2022, not what pick he was or whatever he did and didn't do in the past. In the Adelaide game as a HF, he didn't put enough defensive pressure on, compared to say a fit Butler in the same role, and it was a poor defensive game for us. The Crows HBs ran off their back half too easy when the ball hit the deck. It's clear that Ratts values good defensive forward play and Billings probably didn't play the game the coach wanted.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

He will be back he just needs to get the miles in his legs so he can maintain consistency. As Mordy has touched on is his kicking on goals still needs improvement. For a HFF & highly skilled player he misses far too many crucials shots on goal.