IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:16am
Sanctorum wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022 2:57pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 10:32pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 4:58pm
Teflon, do you think it's really fair to have a crack at our club for coming out with positive comments about the team's prospects at the start of a new season, they're hardly going to predict another poor year coming up. And for the first 11 rounds the players obviously believed in their mantra "why not us??".

Furthermore, wouldn't you agree it's fair to say that the team has punched above its weight to be sitting in 4th spot and 8-3 at the halfway mark, given the paucity of elite players on the list.

Doesn't this therefore reflect positively on Ratten's coaching, or is it a case of JFK's famous quote: "victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" ?

Allow me to digress but this reminds me of another famous paraphrased quote that I have long felt is a really appropriate mantra for St Kilda supporters, it's by the late Swiss-American psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, renowned for her work on death and dying and an appropriate Patron Saint:

"The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of those depths."
It’s lovely and poetic but I just prefer honesty
Start of the year “why not us??”
Now….list no good…we’ve overachieved (code for:”we’ve already re-signed this coach….now need to reverse justify it..”)
I don’t like the club treating supporters and members like idiots
Don’t cone out telling our window is open then suggesting it’s actually “this year” it’s open then tell us the list is no good when we hit good sides, our structure falls apart and the coach has run out of ideas
I’m sorry I just like the truth
Didn’t someone once say “the truth will set you free.. “
I’m sorry ..I’ll leave the poetry to you
Why did didn't you respond to the points I queried with you Teflon? Exactly what lies has the club told its supporters? Was it not true that the coach had put it as a mantra to the players in the off-season: "why not us?" How do you know that the club "already re-signed Brett Ratten beyond 2022? As far as I know that has only ever been media speculation and we all know how much they love to launch a balloon to see if it'll fly.

If I have learned anything in my long life following the (mis)fortunes of my favourite footy team it is that there is no joy whatsoever in constant negativity, focussing on the dark side, emotions that can easily lead to depression. My advice to you and your fellow travellers is to reserve raising your blood pressure for when St Kilda is playing well and on track to play finals, rather than when the team is down and the news is bad. It's probably a sad admission but I get far more excitable when the Saints are in contention than when we lose - it elevates my pulse rate and probably my blood pressure as well.....
The clubs messaging about our “window” has been confusing and I don’t think the prez letter helped to be honest
Explaining away a bad 21 season by “window not open till next year” and now we are in next year and suggesting “list isn’t there we’ve over performed” smacks of re-writing expectations to suit your agenda to me. If you like that - good for you. I think at best it’s disingenuous to supporters and at worst lies.
On your “other points”
I don’t accept the all of a sudden “paucity” of the list - I think you’re making excuses and letting them off the hook for the 3 previous, disgraceful performances
I think this list, while not perfect, is better than what Richardson had and certainly better than 2 goals in a half if football
Do you think this list is a 2 goal in a half a game list? Or not good enough to beat a lowly Essendon who had 2 wins for the year and lost to West Coast 1 week later????
I appreciate your glass half full vibe and thank you for your professional therapeutic advice on how to stay “happy”
I stay happy with some facts and truths
I stay happy when I know I’m not being BS corporate lines
There’s a big difference between glass half full/optimist and delusional….or maybe that’s really a fine line…
you seem unhappy today, strange that, did you hear our membership is falling next year.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:16am Like all great debates, IMO the answer is somewhere in the middle.

I didn’t think Ratten should have been re-signed before the break, nor do I think he should have been sacked 2-3 games after the bye.

In scenarios like this, the correct answer is usually to let the results dictate the decision rather than interpretations of what will happen guide the way.

Ratten deserved every bit of criticism he got for those insipid performances… especially the one against Essendon. His performance wasn’t good and the team played at a standard far below what is acceptable.

Likewise, last nights win was incredible and all the things Vortex has said it was. No question.

There’s reason to say where’s this been whilst also saying we could be good enough to push deep into the finals.

I’m not ready to put a line through Ratten as there is a lot to like about what he’s doing but heck, not even for a second would I suggest that he couldn’t doing a lot lot better

The time now IMO is for cooler heads and let the facts determine decision making.

Let’s see how the season plays out and what his plan is to move forward
Spot on Skeptic and that’s the point I’m making
Why rush to sign him now before those facts are clear??
Despite Vorts over excitement off 1 win I don’t think our issues have magically “gone away”
Ratten still playing his 2 small forwards game plan and if I’m honest …it’ll come a cropper again..
Watched the game live closely yesterday and Carlton have a clear transition plan - the 1 outside stoppage and ability to move the footy easily into a much more structured forward set up with their 2 big forwards looks dangerous - Curnow kicked 1.4 it’s worth remembering and they had no backline …
Paddy did a great job in that role for us last night but he’s 34
I still saw a Saints side handballing frantically within 1ft of each other almost like “pass the hot potato” at times and bombing into forward 50
I still saw only Paddy leading up and to take a mark in the 50 - rest were bombs
Nice to see miracle goals like Membrey over his head …but you can’t rely on that each week
Anyway, suspect Ratten is a done deal that’s the part I’ll question

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

always fun reading

this bit grabbed me

The time now IMO is for cooler heads and let the facts determine decision making.
definitely when we are losing

probably more importantly , when we are winning

went the thought
that flashed across awareness

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:23am
Teflon, do you think it's really fair to have a crack at our club for coming out with positive comments about the team's prospects at the start of a new season, they're hardly going to predict another poor year coming up. And for the first 11 rounds the players obviously believed in their mantra "why not us??".

Furthermore, wouldn't you agree it's fair to say that the team has punched above its weight to be sitting in 4th spot and 8-3 at the halfway mark, given the paucity of elite players on the list.

Doesn't this therefore reflect positively on Ratten's coaching, or is it a case of JFK's famous quote: "victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" ?

Allow me to digress but this reminds me of another famous paraphrased quote that I have long felt is a really appropriate mantra for St Kilda supporters, it's by the late Swiss-American psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, renowned for her work on death and dying and an appropriate Patron Saint:

"The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of those depths."
Now….list no good…we’ve overachieved (code for:”we’ve already re-signed this coach….now need to reverse justify it..”)
Don’t cone out telling our window is open then suggesting it’s actually “this year” it’s open then tell us the list is no good when we hit good sides, our structure falls apart and the coach has run out of ideas
Why did didn't you respond to the points I queried with you Teflon? Exactly what lies has the club told its supporters? Was it not true that the coach had put it as a mantra to the players in the off-season: "why not us?" How do you know that the club "already re-signed Brett Ratten beyond 2022? As far as I know that has only ever been media speculation and we all know how much they love to launch a balloon to see if it'll fly.

If I have learned anything in my long life following the (mis)fortunes of my favourite footy team it is that there is no joy whatsoever in constant negativity, focussing on the dark side, emotions that can easily lead to depression. My advice to you and your fellow travellers is to reserve raising your blood pressure for when St Kilda is playing well and on track to play finals, rather than when the team is down and the news is bad. It's probably a sad admission but I get far more excitable when the Saints are in contention than when we lose - it elevates my pulse rate and probably my blood pressure as well.....
The clubs messaging about our “window” has been confusing and I don’t think the prez letter helped to be honest
Explaining away a bad 21 season by “window not open till next year” and now we are in next year and suggesting “list isn’t there we’ve over performed” smacks of re-writing expectations to suit your agenda to me. If you like that - good for you. I think at best it’s disingenuous to supporters and at worst lies.
On your “other points”
I don’t accept the all of a sudden “paucity” of the list - I think you’re making excuses and letting them off the hook for the 3 previous, disgraceful performances
I think this list, while not perfect, is better than what Richardson had and certainly better than 2 goals in a half if football
Do you think this list is a 2 goal in a half a game list? Or not good enough to beat a lowly Essendon who had 2 wins for the year and lost to West Coast 1 week later????
I appreciate your glass half full vibe and thank you for your professional therapeutic advice on how to stay “happy”
There’s a big difference between glass half full/optimist and delusional….or maybe that’s really a fine line…
you seem unhappy today, strange that, did you hear our membership is falling next year.
Just imagine what Clarko would do for membership…
With him onboard and Sharman captain…sky’s the limit!!
Quick….grab me a Kleenex I’ve gone and shot the bolt.. :D :D

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: absolute classic

good work

did you hear our membership is falling next year.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:31am

On your “other points”
Hey you just gave me a business idea for you and skeptic to partner up together, "False Narratives R Us", it's a business where you make doomsday predictions and spam the internet relentlessly to recruit other like-minded Chicken Littles. Your strategy is based on the old saying, even a clock is right twice a day.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:38am

On your “other points”
Hey you just gave me a business idea for you and skeptic to partner up together, "False Narratives R Us", it's a business where you make doomsday predictions and spam the internet relentlessly to recruit other like-minded Chicken Littles. Your strategy is based on the old saying, even a clock is right twice a day.
It’s getting old Vort
I’m starting to wonder about that old saying..
“never have a battle of wits…with an unarmed man..”
Rather than spam the forum and bore other posters silly I’ll even reserve last word for ya….(do check the spelling is all I ask..)

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:44am

On your “other points”
It’s getting old Vort
I’m starting to wonder about that old saying..
“never have a battle of wits…with an unarmed man..”
Rather than spam the forum and bore other posters silly I’ll even reserve last word for ya….(do check the spelling is all I ask..)
ya know ya got nuttin when it comes down to critiquing spelling. Catch you at our next loss

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:30am
Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022 11:55pm Hello Teffers...are you there?
Oh I’m here and I knew you’d shoot your bolt after 1 win
A win that didn’t surprise me btw - 3 pathetic performances (1 against a club that has won 2 games) the club had to respond (blowtorch was on) and did.
Do I automatically think that set up is top 4 challenger or do I think we’ll even make top 8?
I don’t - love to be wrong but im a realist who doesn’t change opinions with 1 backs to the wall win
But anyway, 1 win against a side that kicked 18 points missing their entire backline and you’re off to the races ??
Whatever floats your boat I guess…
Fremantle must be real shyte?
Afterall, the side 'missing its entire backline' toweled them up last week.

Is it only Saints supporters or is it symptomatic of all supporters?
Whatever you do, don''t give credit to your team when they do something good/well. Always find a negative to downplay the performance.
'Nevermind if that same negative is not allowed to be used as an excuse by your own team (losing games by bad kicking)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The only positive for me after three losses in row was that I didn't feel the need to read s*** threads like this one.

Sanctorum
Club Player

On your “other points”
I never accept on face value what "messaging" emanate from the President, you can hardly expect him to put anything but a very positive spin on the status of the club, so I don't consider the remark about the team's "window" confusing or an untruth.

I'm not aware that the club has ever stated to either members or the media that the St Kilda list is inferior to explain failure in 2021. The weak list is an unarguable point that I and others have made as the main reason for the loss against Brisbane, and sure, that was not the only factor for the bad loss to Sydney last weekend.

Yes, I concede that the pathetic efforts with Essendon and Sydney were totally unacceptable - but it's debatable that was a failure by Ratten rather than the players. It's a well known fact that there are times when players are down and teams lose their rhythm. I still contend that the pre-game hysterics about Danny Frawley was a massive factor in the players being distracted and lacking any semblance of spirit in the way they played. Could Ratten have fixed that? I mean, that is an issue that the club as a whole needs to address, because the exact same thing occurred in the Spud game last year!

Finally, if you analyse the player list when Alan Richardson was in charge, in his best year (2016) when St Kilda finished 9th, he had Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna, Sam Fisher, Sean Dempster, Sam Gilbert, Jack Steven, Josh Bruce, Dylan Roberton, Seb Ross, Jaryn Geary - substantially more guns than at Brett Ratten's disposal when the team played finals in 2021 as well as 2022. That's a cold hard fact, and surely that suggests that Ratten can coach!

Forget the "BS corporate lines" Teflon, it happens at every club.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 11:39am
A win that didn’t surprise me btw - 3 pathetic performances (1 against a club that has won 2 games) the club had to respond (blowtorch was on) and did.
Do I automatically think that set up is top 4 challenger or do I think we’ll even make top 8?
I don’t - love to be wrong but im a realist who doesn’t change opinions with 1 backs to the wall win
But anyway, 1 win against a side that kicked 18 points missing their entire backline and you’re off to the races ??

Whatever you do, don''t give credit to your team when they do something good/well. Always find a negative to downplay the performance.
'Nevermind if that same negative is not allowed to be used as an excuse by your own team (losing games by bad kicking)
I actually don’t rate Freo away from home tbh - I don’t think they’ll win it. I’m glad you do.
Heck we beat them at home (again noting no Fyfe and things got a whole lot easier when Darcy(?) went off
You probably need to read a few more posts where I’ve said it was a good win and credit to the club/coach for the effort
But again, I’m not interested in having a street party cause we beat a wayward Carlton in 1 game (after a media lashing)
I guess each to their own!
Happy dancing in the streets!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 12:50pm
On your “other points”
I never accept on face value what "messaging" emanate from the President, you can hardly expect him to put anything but a very positive spin on the status of the club, so I don't consider the remark about the team's "window" confusing or an untruth.

I'm not aware that the club has ever stated to either members or the media that the St Kilda list is inferior to explain failure in 2021. The weak list is an unarguable point that I and others have made as the main reason for the loss against Brisbane, and sure, that was not the only factor for the bad loss to Sydney last weekend.

Yes, I concede that the pathetic efforts with Essendon and Sydney were totally unacceptable - but it's debatable that was a failure by Ratten rather than the players. It's a well known fact that there are times when players are down and teams lose their rhythm. I still contend that the pre-game hysterics about Danny Frawley was a massive factor in the players being distracted and lacking any semblance of spirit in the way they played. Could Ratten have fixed that? I mean, that is an issue that the club as a whole needs to address, because the exact same thing occurred in the Spud game last year!

Finally, if you analyse the player list when Alan Richardson was in charge, in his best year (2016) when St Kilda finished 9th, he had Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna, Sam Fisher, Sean Dempster, Sam Gilbert, Jack Steven, Josh Bruce, Dylan Roberton, Seb Ross, Jaryn Geary - substantially more guns than at Brett Ratten's disposal when the team played finals in 2021 as well as 2022. That's a cold hard fact, and surely that suggests that Ratten can coach!

Forget the "BS corporate lines" Teflon, it happens at every club.
See this sort of nonsense I have real issue with.
Now the st Kilda players are somehow negatively impacted by the going’s on in the lead up to Spuds game - these are professional AFL footballers is that really your “key point”

Let’s also cherry pick a 2016 Richardson list (even so) would you say that at his disposal at the top of their prime was Riewoldt. Gilbert and co???
Or would you say his 2019 list which had calibre if Longer, Lonie, Newnes, Savage, Dunstan was probably more indicative of what he has list wise ?????
Point is: I’d take Rattens list over that tripe today anyday
I don’t accept your “view” this list is all of a sudden no hood therefore the coach MUST be good
It’s nonsense
The list has holes, sure, but the fact this list has yet to play (last night probably closest tbh) a 4 quarter effort is damming on the coach
The fact this side is bottom 4 AFL fir transition of the footy into attack is damming on the coaching game plan
The fact the ENTIRE team suddenly fell “out of form” for 3 weeks tells me something wasn’t/isn’t right
Last night was great effort - where has it been for 3 weeks ?
Why has it taken all season to realise bombing 1 v 3 out to Max King might not be a good strategy so get him up the ground????
You can let them off all you like I’ve seen enough to know 1 win at St Kilda doesn’t make a winter …

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:08pm

I actually don’t rate Freo away from home tbh - I don’t think they’ll win it. I’m glad you do.
Heck we beat them at home (again noting no Fyfe and things got a whole lot easier when Darcy(?) went off
You probably need to read a few more posts where I’ve said it was a good win and credit to the club/coach for the effort
But again, I’m not interested in having a street party cause we beat a wayward Carlton in 1 game (after a media lashing)
Is all this anger cause you don't like street parties or can't dance, oh man that sucks, no wonder you don't like a gutsy win by the boys.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:25pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:08pm

Is all this anger cause you don't like street parties or can't dance, oh man that sucks, no wonder you don't like a gutsy win by the boys.
You a dancer Vort?
If so explains a bit ..
Quick on the feet ..a tad slow upstairs?

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

On your “other points”
More of the same offensive crap. You seem to have problems that need treating. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

On your “other points”
Starting to like your posts, but I would have added "pea hearted" after Chicken Littles.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Gee, I picked the wrong day to check Saintsational to guage how fellow Saints supporters enjoyed our win last night. It seems that if you did - duck! Teflon has turned up the abuse dial so much the needle has bent.

I gather apart from the coach and the board being safe for another week there is no cause for celebration. And pity help you if you do!

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:46pm Gee, I picked the wrong day to check Saintsational to guage how fellow Saints supporters enjoyed our win last night. It seems that if you did - duck! Teflon has turned up the abuse dial so much the needle has bent.

I gather apart from the coach and the board being safe for another week there is no cause for celebration. And pity help you if you do!
Yeah looks that way. Some posters deserve to be just ignored and you are spot on with your comments.

Seems the "pea hearted chicken littles" don't like the saints winning or re-signing our coach.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Pea heart here. Love the Saints winning. Nothing pleases me more. Hence the frustration with the game style when we lose. Q1 was what I was wanting to see for 4 weeks. Ratts put in game plan that should have put us 4 up at the break. Coaching is about wins and playing finals.
Hopefully Ratts is working on a plan B when Freo shut down Hill and Sinclair from the opening bounce.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:46pm Gee, I picked the wrong day to check Saintsational to guage how fellow Saints supporters enjoyed our win last night. It seems that if you did - duck! Teflon has turned up the abuse dial so much the needle has bent.

Hello Trevor’s here for the pile on
“How dare Teflon question the club after a miracle 1 win after 3 previous deplorable weeks”
It’s a bit predictable Trevor but carry on
I’m glad you like to gobble up the club rhetoric like you’re little mate Saynta (let’s be honest he’s flat out knowing what day it is..) I don’t
I’m after a dude that gives effort every week
Clearly you’re after miracle one off wins
Whatever floats ure boat

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 7:24pm Pea heart here. Love the Saints winning. Nothing pleases me more. Hence the frustration with the game style when we lose. Q1 was what I was wanting to see for 4 weeks. Ratts put in game plan that should have put us 4 up at the break. Coaching is about wins and playing finals.
Hopefully Ratts is working on a plan B when Freo shut down Hill and Sinclair from the opening bounce.
Lol careful Dippa …you’ll be accused of expecting too much from the club from the blue sky brigade
BTW you nailed it - and I listened to Riewoldt on replay who said the way we play is not repeatable going forward whereas Carlton look dangerous (apart from Shyte kicking) every time
At 3 qtr time they’d taken 8 inside forward 50 marks to our 1
What happens next time our run gets shut down again and Butler and co go missing …
Need a better system if we are going to ever seriously challenge

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 7:32pm

Hello Trevor’s here for the pile on
“How dare Teflon question the club after a miracle 1 win after 3 previous deplorable weeks”
It’s a bit predictable Trevor but carry on
I’m glad you like to gobble up the club rhetoric like you’re little mate Saynta (let’s be honest he’s flat out knowing what day it is..) I don’t
I’m after a dude that gives effort every week
Clearly you’re after miracle one off wins
Whatever floats ure boat
Bahahaha :roll: :roll: :roll:

That the best you got?

PE is treatable. :wink:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:52pm

Yeah looks that way. Some posters deserve to be just ignored and you are spot on with your comments.

Seems the "pea hearted chicken littles" don't like the saints winning or re-signing our coach.

nah !!
nuh

c'mon fellas

thats bullsh1t
... the bolded bit

teflon arrived and it was already waiting for him

they were lined up
waiting to exchange pleasantries

that was this morning
... 'n was well telegraphed last night
that it was gunna be so

play a tad fair ffs

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 8:20pm
saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:52pm

nah !!
nuh

c'mon fellas

thats bullsh1t
... the bolded bit

teflon arrived and it was already waiting for him

they were lined up
waiting to exchange pleasantries

that was this morning
... 'n was well telegraphed last night
that it was gunna be so

play a tad fair ffs
Always enjoyed the balance you bring to this place asiu
It’s be a dull, boring place with only views from club apologists and back slappers but at least you remain objective.

“Yeah….nah””