AFLW Does anyone really care?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

repta
Club Player

Re: AFLW Does anyone really care?

Completely ridiculous

One of the most influential women in history. Actually one of the most influential people in history.
The fact that a fledging womens sport would consider boycotting an acknowledgement of a woman of true power, influence who has been above reproach in every aspect. A true world Leader.

It doesnt matter if you are a monarchist or republican, it is a minute to acknowledge a remarkable person.

It is about respect.

And a lot of it was lost in that decision on all sides.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why was she so influential

What did she do? Anything remarkable?

Joan of Arc was remarkable, Marie Curie was, Serena Williams was

Being born into Royalty and living a charmed life - Anything but

Rubyjo
Club Player

Gee footy expert to a monarchy expert ..im sure you have gaps in your knowledge but stick to the Saints you are worthy of that and worthy of a knight hood when it comes to the saints ...but I'm sure you have no understanding of what the queeny has gone through. So don't be daft with your movie title knowledge..life as you presume for the Queen is something you will ever understand ..so don't pretend that you know what it would be to be a queen of empires ..but maybe you do know what it's like to be a queen..just saying

casey scorp
Club Player

It’s a farce at AFL level that doesn’t pay its way and is propped up by money from the (AFL) TV rights. Apart from girls who want to play footy, and their families, the Saintsational support type group is exactly who the AFLW would want to appeal to - rusted on club supporters who will support a greyhound if it happens to have red white and black colours.

Of course girls should be able to play footy in as high a level competition as possible, but this footy is not a high level at all. I don’t know where it sits - I guess that could be established by the AFLW premiers playing the VFL Premiers, and then the amateurs premiers and so on. Eventually we would have an idea. But I guess that would be very unwoke.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

The AFLW teams would probably struggle against the Oakleigh Chargers.

But simply by having the AFLW the AFL were able to negotiate impressive broadcast deal.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 6:08pm Completely ridiculous

One of the most influential women in history. Actually one of the most influential people in history.
The fact that a fledging womens sport would consider boycotting an acknowledgement of a woman of true power, influence who has been above reproach in every aspect. A true world Leader.

It doesnt matter if you are a monarchist or republican, it is a minute to acknowledge a remarkable person.

It is about respect.

'Influential' in a positive or negative way?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
King Max
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 9:51am

It is about respect.

'Influential' in a positive or negative way?
A long list of achievements

Inherited the job
was quite pleasant
stayed alive for 96 years.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

It is about respect.

And then there is the other side of the coin, that's right, coins have two sides.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You mean this coin;

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-15/ ... /101443846

"What I've learned… is that for First Nations people, colonialism… represents the genocide of their people, the theft of their land, the erasure of their culture and way of life, the loss of their wealth, their basic human rights, and their children."

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Meh about the Queen.

Historically themes such as being chosen by God to rule or having blood better than everyone else’s was used to justify the carnage/genocide etc that came with royalty keeping their power.

Fast forward to the modern age…
Queen is born in to luxury and has never had to want for anything in her life. She had more money, fame, influence and recognition then any of us will ever dream.

Was she a champion of woman’s rights?
An enemy of poverty?
Fight to end racism/discrimination?

Nope. She was just kind of there doing little bits of pieces generally overseeing the crowns descent into obscurity and irrelevance. Stood for nothing. Her legacy is inconsequential especially when compared to the potential she had.

But then… to top it off: There’s finally a royal that people like. Young, charismatic, progressive, great reputation. Is of age. If given the platform, he seemingly has the ability and willingness to do something with it… try to make the world a better place… has the ability to do so. Stand for something, make them relevant again…

The Queen holds onto her irrelevant title til she dies at 96 and now Charles will pbly hang on for dear life for another 20 years bringing us right back to where we are.

Elizabeth should have abdicated 15-20 years ago so that Charles could have had his entitled opportunity to have his ego stroked and he would/should be ready to step aside now.

Horrible, entitled, self-important ineffective people the majority.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 4:30pm You mean this coin;

"What I've learned… is that for First Nations people, colonialism… represents the genocide of their people, the theft of their land, the erasure of their culture and way of life, the loss of their wealth, their basic human rights, and their children."
Empathetic towards them. Issue is if it wasn't the English it would have been another country. We should be all moving forward as one.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 5:19pm

Empathetic towards them. Issue is if it wasn't the English it would have been another country. We should be all moving forward as one.
😳

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 8:10pm

😳
Yep that’s right. If the English didn’t settle here someone else would have. It’s happened and we aren’t going to move together while we keep looking to create division.

I’m sure my grief against the Vikings for invading England hasn’t gathered much sympathy

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 8:54pm

😳
Yep that’s right. If the English didn’t settle here someone else would have. It’s happened and we aren’t going to move together while we keep looking to create division.

I’m sure my grief against the Vikings for invading England hasn’t gathered much sympathy
I guess that makes it ok then.
Righty oh old chap!

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 8:57pm

😳

Righty oh old chap!
No it doesn’t but creating more division doesn’t reverse what’s happened.

Freebird
Club Player

sounds like the irish or most other lands in those times...how do we repair this White fellow historic greed?

Did the indigenous communities ever fight or take land from each other? surely if yes then that would compound this predicament

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I think the original post has been hijacked by posters airing there own opinion's on issues that have nothing to do with our AFLW team.

SaintJohno
Club Player

casey scorp wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 10:53am It’s a farce at AFL level that doesn’t pay its way and is propped up by money from the (AFL) TV rights. Apart from girls who want to play footy, and their families, the Saintsational support type group is exactly who the AFLW would want to appeal to - rusted on club supporters who will support a greyhound if it happens to have red white and black colours.

Of course girls should be able to play footy in as high a level competition as possible, but this footy is not a high level at all. I don’t know where it sits - I guess that could be established by the AFLW premiers playing the VFL Premiers, and then the amateurs premiers and so on. Eventually we would have an idea. But I guess that would be very unwoke.
Back to the original topic (can someone start a monarchist v republic thread in the general area perhaps, seems like there's lots of opinions on the Queen). Sorry Casey, but comparing women's professional sport to men's is apples v oranges I think. It's a different product and will attract followers for sure, as it is a great game and is very early days for the girls. Just like you can't compare women's golf, tennis, hockey, soccer, basketball, boxing, MMA, Scottish pole tossing etc ,,, it is silly to compare women's afl to men's leagues.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mixed messages is what you get when they co-opt social causes for their own benefit but we know how the world really works.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 10:53am It’s a farce at AFL level that doesn’t pay its way and is propped up by money from the (AFL) TV rights. Apart from girls who want to play footy, and their families, the Saintsational support type group is exactly who the AFLW would want to appeal to - rusted on club supporters who will support a greyhound if it happens to have red white and black colours.

If I recall rightly, I think the first game of Australian Rules Football consisted of 50 blokes flogging the s*** out of each other for 3 days, for a return of 2 goals, ending in a draw. Must have been a thrilling sporting spectacle, destined for ruin.....but here we are, 164 years later.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 9:10pm

😳

Righty oh old chap!
No it doesn’t but creating more division doesn’t reverse what’s happened.
Yeah true. Unless you're Aboriginal and still around, and generally unhappy with the divisive measures exercised by the British Empire for over 250 years, to rape you of your birth rights and resources, not to mention human rights and the conventions that have made British law mighty and graced poor old Lizzy with her God given right to rule 1/4 of the world. I see where your coming from.
It's time to move forward as one. Maybe you could consider barracking for Collingwood next year and then Essendon and after that, Carlton. What do you reckon? It time to move forward. You might get a chance to be a winner.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The quote I posted directly under the link to the news article is from someone who is truly empathetic. It’s a quote from Daisy Pearce

Do you know what genocide means? Did you even read the article before responding and shooting from the hip?

How do they forget the discrimination that The British monarchy was responsible for? The monarchy is the symbol of their persecution.

It’s really easy to say move forward and move on for people not affected. Australian indigenous folk would love to but the problem is that we don’t let them.

Did you read the articles on Robby Muir? Have you been watching some of the shows where Eddie Betts talks about what he’s been going through? Eddie and Robby would have loved to have moved on if the bigots and the racists would let them

CQ Saint is right. You should forget about all your history and allegiance to the St Kilda football club. Move on. Move forward with the AFL and barrack for one of their powerful clubs like Collingwood or what about the West Coast Eagles?

older saint
SS Life Member

AFLW has been spread too thin too quick in the AFL push to have the comp and every club involved. The talent pool doesn't exist yet and will be 8-10 years before the difference between best and worst really starts to level out as juniors have a full junior career before AFLW.
It isn't mens footy its a different game and should be viewed as such.
The biggest issue which wont go away is the issue of ACL's. While they are doing a lot of work in programs to improve strength through quads, core , glutes etc a highly regarded physio said to me this will help bu the fact of body shape and wider hips means Women will always be more susceptible to ACL injuries and the upside down triangle type shape to the ground from the hips means pressure moves to the next joint - knee.

They really need to be trying to get people on board for the footy and the minute silence issue was best summed up by Aboriginal leader Warren Mundine " White and woke people need to stop speaking for Aboriginal people and assuming to know what Aboriginal people think" .
Daisy just doing what Daisy does - trying to not get lost in the media

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

😳

Righty oh old chap!
To be fair, I think what Curly is trying to say here is that the indigenous population should be grateful for the English, they were lucky they invaded and murdered them, and the least they can do is bow down and show a little respect!

And also it was the umpires fault.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Did you read the Herald Sun today did you older saint?