The Review .

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Review .

Bassett has clearly leveraged from his IT resources and studied the internet analytics to determine how to pander to the fan base...politics 101 in the information age.

The puff piece masquerading as a "review" sucks in the fan base nicely with telling em what the want to hear about, including:

- Theme games
- Selling home games
- Debt reduction

The sweetners if you like.

I see this fugkery every day.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sorry I didn’t read report/listen.

Can anyone fill me in about a lack of a proper Reserves team?

Was this discussed?

And secondary question, I like Sandy and they do feel a bit ‘family’ I suppose, but do you think we are disadvantaged by not having a reserved team?

My hunch is that lists will get smaller again and clubs will be squeezed. Those Melbourne based clubs keeping their reserves might be advantages.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What is the advantage of having a stand alone reserves

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 1:15pm What is the advantage of having a stand alone reserves
It gives the club another team for a review to be undertaken when the administration need to distract the fan base to deflect attention away from incompetence.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sandringham is basically StK reserves

Coach works for StK

Players play for StK

StK players get priority and management if necessary

If we had a reserves, we would need a dozen supplementary players!!!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 1:19pm
B.M wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 1:15pm What is the advantage of having a stand alone reserves
It gives the club another team for a review to be undertaken when the administration need to distract the fan base to deflect attention away from incompetence.
It's a fair question and the answering of it (or attempted answering of it) might be quite revealing.

Melbourne, Hawthorn and the Saints are sticking with the alignment model.

Collingwood, Carlton, North, Essendon, Bulldogs/Footscray, Richmond have gone back to Reserves teams and it has with the exception of North (which was the last to switch) , you could argue that it has worked.

St Kilda and Sandy have an intimate connection - or so it seems ..but we do have different colours.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/28/w ... st-return/

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Does Sandy train at Moorabbin?

Do fringe Saints players train at Sandy?

Or do fringe Saints players train at Moorabbin and then get thrown in with Sandy for the weekend match?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The problem with saying the review is a corporate puff piece is it doesn’t follow:

1. Sacking and replacement (after signing) senior coach.
2. Clean out of all assistants and replacing these
3. Installing a bona fide football operations boss to oversee our failure there
3. Beefing up development coaches
4. Installing an experienced fitness and conditioning head to work alongside our existing team (again beefing this up)

My gut feel no says Bassat isn’t finished and Gags is hanging by thread and would’ve gone if Cripps said yes

It’s a fair turn over for a corporate “puff piece”
I’d be the first to call it that (seen many of these) but this has actions abd not all actions make Bassat OR the Board look good (sacking Ratten???) so I think you have to give credit where it’s due
It’s easy to keep kicking the place

“Yeah….nah””
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

But on the subject of the review ... I'm encouraged (and a little gobsmacked) that Bassatt seems to have listened to the fans.

Maybe he even ventures into the dark bowels of Sainstsational?

In any case, switching the focus back to footy, bringing in a tough-love coach and injecting some Saints heroes into the coaching mix are all things a lot of us have been begging for. I reckon congratulations are in order.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

StK players who are not in frame for selection in the senior team train Thursday evening with Sandy at TBBO

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 5:31pm StK players who are not in frame for selection in the senior team train Thursday evening with Sandy at TBBO
So having read this forum,, it seems that the players often train in black or white or grey? shirts, and it seems to have been a pattern for the black shirts to be the ones who play in the firsts and the grey or white play for Sandy.

It’s doesn’t seem optimal to have it that way? Or does it? Sandy is almost split into two teams.. can’t do Sandy much good either, however perhaps things are so dire now that tget need the cash.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting insight from Stavro on BF via his club contact

For what it’s worth.

The backing and extension of Ratten occurred because of Finnis.

Lethlean was apparently against it. Lost out as he wasn’t CEO.

His(Lethers) apparent opinion, has been that the football department has under performed. List capable of September.

Now the crux of the issue here is that Bassat and co probably have trusted too much as opposed to led and that means challenging Lethlean on outcomes here.

But ultimately if your 2 head honchos of the football clubs performance in your CEO and head of football program are disagreeing on the senior coach - not sure an extension should have occurred.

(The above comes from my boy 👍. )

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Osprey BF Riewoldt connection on Lethlean

The guy I spoke to last week knows Rooey personally and he said he complained to Rooey about Lethlean for the same reasons as many have on here - connections with Hannebery’s dad and Dan’s contract, Gags being a mate, some of the list management decisions etc…

Apparently Rooey said that whilst that’s true RE the pre existing connections, Lethlean is a good operator and a real go getter who will actually be good for the club, whatever happens he will push hard to make things happen to get us back up to the top. We’re better having Lethlean than not having him.

So I guess Rooey’s opinion on it changed the opinion of the guy I was talking to.

Jury still very much out for me on it but this convo gave me more confidence. Now Lethlean has the top job at the club we’ll see over the next few years how he goes.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The obsession with everything except HOW do we access the required talent to be a contender.

The conmen don't seem to want to shine any light on that little ole hoary chest nut, I wonder why that is.

RL couldn't solve that magical trick at Freo and that club has significant better resources than ours.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Nov 2022 8:16am The obsession with everything except HOW do we access the required talent to be a contender.

The conmen don't seem to want to shine any light on that little ole hoary chest nut, I wonder why that is.

RL couldn't solve that magical trick at Freo and that club has significant better resources than ours.
+1

asiu
Saintsational Legend

all we have going for us

is the 'Immortal' status
that SHALL be the reward
for the 22 + coach who Win the Thing

so

sell that

keep building momentum

attract
i'll say it again (for impact)

ATTRACT

... in worthy possible apprentice immortals
who like the idea
of being long remembered
as their toes pay homage to the sky

so
yea

sell that

thats how.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

next ?

:P

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Selling is what most conmen are good at.

Delivering....not so much.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ooh

nice , ring of truth

mmmmmm

but :P

in this instance
i'm delivering as i offer

as will be the Club
should they endorse 'n carry on

which they will

coz

like i pre ambled earlier

we have nothing else

ipso facto ... foolproof

nows thats a sale

the idea ,
already bursting into spring growth

the delivery ,
i can feel your enthusiasm from here

+ a free , foolproof

So , you've actually received the Steak knives in advance

how good is it

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Nov 2022 9:40am Selling is what most conmen are good at.

More often than not you have greeted decisions by our footy club with cynicism and while I agree that sometimes that is warranted, in this instance I am quite certain that the decisions taken by Bassat & Co in the past month will do much to get our team back on track to achieve medium and long term success.

The departure of Matt Finnis and appointments of Simon Lethlean as CEO, Geoff Walshg as EGM Football Operations and Ross Lyon as Senior Coach are all first class decisions. I can't recall a time when there has been such a massive overhaul of the club's off-field leadership team as we have witnessed recently.

Bigger even than 2001....unprecedented!

If as a member/supporter you have serious doubts and genuinely believe that what the club is doing in the current off-season is a "con job" or "just a marketing exercise to appease the masses", is there really any point in staying on board??

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 14 Nov 2022 4:04pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Nov 2022 9:40am Selling is what most conmen are good at.

More often than not you have greeted decisions by our footy club with cynicism and while I agree that sometimes that is warranted, in this instance I am quite certain that the decisions taken by Bassat & Co in the past month will do much to get our team back on track to achieve medium and long term success.

The departure of Matt Finnis and appointments of Simon Lethlean as CEO, Geoff Walshg as EGM Football Operations and Ross Lyon as Senior Coach are all first class decisions. I can't recall a time when there has been such a massive overhaul of the club's off-field leadership team as we have witnessed recently.

Bigger even than 2001....unprecedented!

If as a member/supporter you have serious doubts and genuinely believe that what the club is doing in the current off-season is a "con job" or "just a marketing exercise to appease the masses", is there really any point in staying on board??
Gee you are a punchy octogenarian when you need to be, who said there wasn't any fight in the ole dog...love the spirit.

To answer your question though, as you allude to it, we are in the off season, arguably when our club performs at its best...then R1 happens.

Sorry ole chump, my club deserves every bit of cynicism it attracts from this realist. The only way they avoid it is perform in the ON-season and then we can make folklore of the conmen, however until then they are like all the other salesmen before them.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Vort, confronted with a reasonable question plays the ageist card. The come back king.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 14 Nov 2022 8:23pm Vort, confronted with a reasonable question plays the ageist card. The come back king.
Lol empty vessel is Vort lol
Wants to bag the club mercilessly but has already told how he’s a Ross fan and is backing him in…
It’s called having a bet each way so later you pretend you were smarter …but it’s always after the fact
What’s ironic it’s the kinda Shyte thinking you see in corporate psychopath types….you know the ones Vort REALLY hates….
Apple far from free?

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 14 Nov 2022 8:23pm Vort, confronted with a reasonable question plays the ageist card. The come back king.
You really don't pay attention do you, I don't like people full stop so Sanctorum knows it's not personal you thickhead.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Nov 2022 11:02pm
You really don't pay attention do you, I don't like people full stop so Sanctorum knows it's not personal you thickhead.
Oh there there precious….somebody has their knickers in a twist…

“Yeah….nah””