Max King to miss months

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max King to miss months

The logic of the average footy fan is hilarious, so Max missing possibly the majority of the season is positive because it allows the moving of VFL players into his position or trialling a new game plan that isn't King centric.

Isn't that strange logic regarding our DP4 who was recruited to the club as a generational marquee forward who a list could be built around?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Not great but Max has proven before that he does everything required to get back to full fitness. I cannot see our medical / fitness staff taking short cuts with him.

This may just be an opportunity for young Heath, no expectations, exposure to AFL and can give RoMa a rest.

It is also a period / season for the players to get use to and understand RTB and vice versa. Whilst not ideal, I doubt whether Ross will be too worried. Max is a finisher, our biggest fault in recent years has been transition from defence through the middle and into our F50 to create opportunities.

This will be a work in progress and our challenge not so much the replacing of Max. Max will be back and hopefully he's back to a system that knows how to make the most out of his talents and strengths.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 7:29am The logic of the average footy fan is hilarious, so Max missing possibly the majority of the season is positive because it allows the moving of VFL players into his position or trialling a new game plan that isn't King centric.

Isn't that strange logic regarding our DP4 who was recruited to the club as a generational marquee forward who a list could be built around?
Will we be a better side without Max absolutely not!

We have shown under Ratten we were far too reliant or too focused on kicking it on Max's head. If we can develop other players to fill the void we can be a better team going forward. The other positive we will have to become far less predictable with our forward entries, something nearly every supporter was screaming for last year. It will mean every forward will need to become a leading/marking option and a lot more movement of our smalls, rather than waiting for Max's marking contests to bring the ball to the ground. Harves will earn his pay in the first half of the season thats for sure.

Hopefully when Max returns he moves back into a far more efficiently functioning forward line? A lot of 'ifs' I know, but we simply have to turn this into an opportunity to improve.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 7:29am The logic of the average footy fan is hilarious, so Max missing possibly the majority of the season is positive because it allows the moving of VFL players into his position or trialling a new game plan that isn't King centric.

Not sure anyone is calling it a positive...

Given a situation you have no control of though you have two options.

1. Accept it, move forward and try and find the opportunity in adversity.

2. Focus on the negative, try and attribute blame and get stuck in the moment.

What is baffling to me is people who choose option 2.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 8:19am

Bingo

Obviously

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A shoulder reconstruction from a training session in December against the backdrop of heralded improved training standards. It's a concern the King Twins have bodies that are failing badly AND regularly so early on in their careers and in Training sessions.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Are the King twins bodies "failing badly"? Didn't Max play every game in 22? Didn't Ben play pretty much every game up until his knee in the last pre season? So far in an AFL club environment, each King has only suffered one serious injury. Have either of their bodies failed them more than any other AFL player who has received a long term injury whilst in an AFL environment? Hardly, "failing badly" is rubbish, sensationalistic rhetoric.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It didn’t happen while ‘partying’ in his sister’s backyard or because he was drunk ….or playing frisbee with his dog

Accidents occur in a collision sport. He’s young and it’s normal for these guys with skinny frames

Also, hopefully just a part of the character building setbacks that he will learn from and be better prepared for in the long run

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Instead of the pitifully predictable trolling Vortex, why not send Max a get well soon message. Too positive for your style? Didn't even think of it, did you.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Most of us gritted our teeth when Max played, not because we didn’t love him or will him to succeed, but because we knew he wasn’t quite there yet and yet the team plan was built upon him.

He managed 22 games.

He is gangly in physique and you don’t have to be a PhD in meta-bio physics to notice his poor posture and curled forward shoulders. This leaves the shoulder extremely vulnerable to injury and crashes from behind. He is actually broad across the shoulder so anytime that shoulder is pushed, the torque force on the capsule in his shoulder, already compromised by posture - the ball is crushed against the capsule because of his curled in posture - it is an accident waiting to happen.

Dunno, what happened with Dougal, but Dougal is a fine example of a skinny giant with good posture. Like Stuart Broad the bowler too

Whatever they do, I hope they get Max to correct his posture, but it maybe too late, especially if he has to do a crash course in weights. Building the chest and arms up will pull the shoulders forward again.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Dougal actually making a marking contest is the biggest shock here!

They must have been practicing the "bomb it long on top of King's head" tactic that allowed time for Dougal to make it after his standard zoning off of his opponent.

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 11:02am It didn’t happen while ‘partying’ in his sister’s backyard or because he was drunk ….or playing frisbee with his dog

Accidents occur in a collision sport. He’s young and it’s normal for these guys with skinny frames

Also, hopefully just a part of the character building setbacks that he will learn from and be better prepared for in the long run
Yep I reckon there's been a lot of expectation that Max would be a superstar pretty soon. But maybe we need to wait a few more years until he's 24 or 25 and his body fully matures. He does still look like a bit of a giraffe. Terrible news but an opportunity to build a game style that he complements and not one that absolutely depends on him.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Terrible news, bad luck for Max and Rossy. Its a bit of rotten luck, but I'm backing in Sharman to provide some very decent cover for Max.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 06 Dec 2022 6:36pm Tom Lee had more rhan one shoulder reco, was never the same afterwards
WTF. He was never the same before it.
Pammy will testify to that.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 12:56pm
WellardSaint wrote: Tue 06 Dec 2022 6:36pm Tom Lee had more rhan one shoulder reco, was never the same afterwards
WTF. He was never the same before it.
Pammy will testify to that.
Yep Magnif,

the prognosis for successful shoulder reconstruction is very good. 90% over 10 years.

that doesn't mean he won't do another one though.

Like getting a formula one car fixed. It fixes up real nice but can crash again in the next race, but the second crash is not usually due to the first in any physical sense.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 9:31am

A shoulder reconstruction from a training session in December against the backdrop of heralded improved training standards. It's a concern the King Twins have bodies that are failing badly AND regularly so early on in their careers and in Training sessions.
You're certainly true to form Vortex, your relenteless criticism of both Max and Ben King knows no end.

Doing a shoulder happens all the time to AFL players, did you have it in for Nick Riewoldt too when he did his in 2005??

I'm quite sure that Max will make a full recovery, as Nick did, and go on to prove the naysayers like you totally wrong!

Also, this incident in no way suggest that St Kilda's training standards are poor, that's just ludicrous....

I'm looking forward to the day when you see the light and give some praise to your supposedly favourite team, but I won't hold my breath!

On second thoughts perhaps you get some perverse pleasure out of taking the piss on what supporters have to say on this forum - but that's become awfully tiresome.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Has anyone seen footage of the injury?
Pretty hard to judge if not.

Impact injuries and innocuous injuries are totally different beasts.

Ben King knee was impact, Mac Andrew clumsily crashed into his leg as he was jumping to take a mark.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

He will be a huge loss

Many in this thread just see it as an opportunity for someone else or are they in denial of the likely impact

saint4life
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 1:37pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 9:31am

You're certainly true to form Vortex, your relenteless criticism of both Max and Ben King knows no end.

Doing a shoulder happens all the time to AFL players, did you have it in for Nick Riewoldt too when he did his in 2005??

I'm quite sure that Max will make a full recovery, as Nick did, and go on to prove the naysayers like you totally wrong!

Also, this incident in no way suggest that St Kilda's training standards are poor, that's just ludicrous....

I'm looking forward to the day when you see the light and give some praise to your supposedly favourite team, but I won't hold my breath!

On second thoughts perhaps you get some perverse pleasure out of taking the piss on what supporters have to say on this forum - but that's become awfully tiresome.....
At least Roo did his in the heat of battle against one of the toughest and most brutal sides ever to take the field.

I'm now all on board for this new era of uncompromising standards and ruthlessness which means you now can't pick N choose in that regard and the fact of the matter is King did his shoulder in a December training session against Dougal Fargon Howard of all players.

I have signed up for RUTHLESSNESS!

King is clearly still a baby giraffe and not ready for the Ross Lyon era.

No sympathy whatsoever.

NEXT!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 06 Dec 2022 8:26pm
loris wrote: Tue 06 Dec 2022 7:50pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 06 Dec 2022 7:00pm How long out for??
**** me
At least I can still watch Ross at games through my binoculars thats the key move that matters
Didn’t realize you were such a fan of Seb!
Huge fan of Seb Loris what do you mean?

Joke Joyce

loris
Saintsational Legend

**** me
At least I can still watch Ross at games through my binoculars thats the key move that matters

Joke Joyce

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Nick didn’t do a shoulder

He cracked his collarbone

That’s only a 5-6 week injury

Question
Why is Max King still skinny (baby giraffe as someone said)

He’s is in his 5th preseason, he’s been training at Moorabbin since 2018.

His lower body is massive - Upper body is skinny as fk

lewdogs
Club Player

He may not be missing the majority of the season. If it's a 20 week injury he'd be back around ANZAC Day.

happy feet
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 11:02am It didn’t happen while ‘partying’ in his sister’s backyard or because he was drunk ….or playing frisbee with his dog

Or riding his skateboard down Oliver’s Hill!

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 7:42pm
**** me

Joke Joyce
Thanks Loris
I was joking too
….joke Joyce…haven’t heard that in years!!

“Yeah….nah””