Practice Thread for Practice Match Saints v Bummers 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Practice Thread for Practice Match Saints v Bummers 2023

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 11:14am Haters are going to hate but I thought Hunter Clark stuck it up his detractors.
I agree that he was good yesterday. Is probably our most creative mid. We desperately need him playing well

King Max
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 10:29am
Saintmatt wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 11:15pm
saynta wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 6:53pm Couple of very unhappy looking boys sitting on the bench in Highmore and Sharman. Neither got a run which is f****** mean but par for the course from our retreaded coach.
Why? Caminetti has already gone past Sharman. And Highmore isn’t playing unless Battle or Wilkie gets injured.

Also - what’s a retreaded coach ?
Do you know what a retreaded tyre is? New rubber on an old worn out tyre.

If RTFB wasn't going to play either boy, why not let them play for Sandy. f****** mean I say.
Who did Sandy play? Was it also on Friday night?

I think they had to name extra interchange but Ross wanted to stick with 22 plus a sub for a more authentic experience.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Non nonsense

NWM , Crouch, Battle, Wood, Marshall, and small forwards all good.

Not big wraps for Paton on a wing.
Says Hunter was good, (lacks pace) skilled, needs to employ that side step

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

NWM was excellent and pleased to see him making several good tackles also.

We should make him a 4 -5 year deal offer.
He will be a star.

Wood was excellent, looks even fitter than last year and seems to have grown in confidence and leadership.

Owens was very good as was Higgins who looks fit.

Cordy looks bog average but tough at least.

Carminiti looks a likely type , and will grow onto that role. Good pick up out of nowhere.

Stocker looks a serious player. Tough at it, good mark and also ran out the game well.

Also good to see Clark play well. Still looks a little under done, but he is able to get his foot to the ball under pressure, very well.

Wilkie, Sincs and Crouch all very good.

Steele looks a bit flat to me !?

Good hitout

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 10:09pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 9:28pm I was really impressed with Mason Wood’s game. He could be a player who has found his spot in a game plan that suits him. Was excellent today. He looks an endurance beast. Sincs and NWM off half back, Wood and Hill on the wings.
ditto re Wood.I love the way he has come on. He reminds me a lot of Tigers Richardson when he played later on the wing and ran down to take grabs in the forward line and also down back often as a match winner often for them
I heard one of the commentators say that the Saints were using the corridor more off half back and that this brings the wingman on the opposite side of the ground into the game more. This was one of the contributing factors to him getting plenty of possessions. That and his running ability.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 7:03pm
starsign wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 10:09pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 9:28pm I was really impressed with Mason Wood’s game. He could be a player who has found his spot in a game plan that suits him. Was excellent today. He looks an endurance beast. Sincs and NWM off half back, Wood and Hill on the wings.
ditto re Wood.I love the way he has come on. He reminds me a lot of Tigers Richardson when he played later on the wing and ran down to take grabs in the forward line and also down back often as a match winner often for them
I heard one of the commentators say that the Saints were using the corridor more off half back and that this brings the wingman on the opposite side of the ground into the game more. This was one of the contributing factors to him getting plenty of possessions. That and his running ability.
Sounds like good coaching to me
Maybe RTBs magic wand is operational and we are in good hands

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am not prepared to go early especially after the poor game against the Dees,

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 3:29pm It will be interesting to see if we can gel a bit better this outing.
I think we definitely gelled better, albeit against not quite as good a side as the Demons.

From, what I think is our best 23, we had the following six players not playing/injured:
King
Membrey
Hill
Billings
Ross
McKenzie

IMO Hayes, Sharman, Coffield are not best 23.

So plenty of chance for improvement.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Coffield will be pushing top 18 when he regains some match fitness

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Next, we open up the 50m arc for Caminiti and get Higgins and Membrey leading up high with Wood and Phillipou pushing forward from wings and Butler and Gresham will start bolting for the square ahead of the ball.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 11:31am
saynta wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 10:53am
Saintmatt wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 10:45am
saynta wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 6:53pm Couple of very unhappy looking boys sitting on the bench in Highmore and Sharman. Neither got a run which is f****** mean but par for the course from our retreaded coach.
Why? Caminetti has already gone past Sharman. And Highmore isn’t playing unless Battle or Wilkie gets injured.

If RTFB wasn't going to play either boy, why not let them play for Sandy. f****** mean I say.
Well, you still needed to have players on the bench and they were on the bench.

As for Sandy - if you’ve spent any time watching Sandy (esp at Sandy) they might as well be sitting on the bench. Sandy’s poor team and even worse ground (esp in wind like that yesterday) means that they gain nothing from playing there (except a chance at getting an injury).

It’s so simple seeing what we’re doing for the 1st month. Cordy is a target man told to bring the ball to ground; Caminetti is the other roaming tall (& he’s surprisingly good - in a gangly giraffe kind of way. He’s mobile and aggressive in a way Cooper isn’t. He’s also excellent below his knees from what I’ve seen - unlike Cooper. And I’m in the Cooper fanboi camp too).

And as a general FYI - my takeaways from yesterday at the ground were that Wood is our most important player (the link in all the chains); Paton is way more effective as a def forward than a defensive defender; Stocker is better at playing Paton’s defender role. Phillipou is already our best utility and won’t be long before our best mid.
I still fail to see the logic. Both could have been given minutes. As I said f****** mean of the coach, but par for the course.
You sound like a parent at an u15’s game, not a supporter of a professional sports team in a billion dollar industry.

Those boys will get their chance
Errr…yep.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 3:29pm NWM was excellent and pleased to see him making several good tackles also.

He will be a star.
+1

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

NWM looks an absolute ripper out of half back. He will become very important and can see him copping a tag in that role, huge respect for a 2nd year player. Please sign him to a 4 year deal.

It seems Clark sees the game differently to most players, his mind moves quicker than others and sometimes for his ability. A good hitout for him, an injury free season and I can see a Top 10 B&F finish, if not Top 5.

Caminiti is a beauty, I he gets a few games this year and has a big pre season next year. We may have snuck one here. Could be our version of Mihocek given opportunities.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2023 6:03am
Banger9798 wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 3:29pm NWM was excellent and pleased to see him making several good tackles also.

He will be a star.
+1
Honestly, I doubt the kid will sign any more than 2-3 years..he’ll want to keep his options open.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 11:21pm Next, we open up the 50m arc for Caminiti and get Higgins and Membrey leading up high with Wood and Phillipou pushing forward from wings and Butler and Gresham will start bolting for the square ahead of the ball.
I always appreciate your insights into the chess game CQ.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 11:31am

As for Sandy - if you’ve spent any time watching Sandy (esp at Sandy) they might as well be sitting on the bench. Sandy’s poor team and even worse ground (esp in wind like that yesterday) means that they gain nothing from playing there (except a chance at getting an injury).

It’s so simple seeing what we’re doing for the 1st month. Cordy is a target man told to bring the ball to ground; Caminetti is the other roaming tall (& he’s surprisingly good - in a gangly giraffe kind of way. He’s mobile and aggressive in a way Cooper isn’t. He’s also excellent below his knees from what I’ve seen - unlike Cooper. And I’m in the Cooper fanboi camp too).

And as a general FYI - my takeaways from yesterday at the ground were that Wood is our most important player (the link in all the chains); Paton is way more effective as a def forward than a defensive defender; Stocker is better at playing Paton’s defender role. Phillipou is already our best utility and won’t be long before our best mid.
I still fail to see the logic. Both could have been given minutes. As I said f****** mean of the coach, but par for the course.
You sound like a parent at an u15’s game, not a supporter of a professional sports team in a billion dollar industry.

Those boys will get their chance

If the coach was playing his s*** son instead of a couple of young guys with hope and ability, yes, I will buy/wear that. :wink: :wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2023 10:11am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 11:21pm Next, we open up the 50m arc for Caminiti and get Higgins and Membrey leading up high with Wood and Phillipou pushing forward from wings and Butler and Gresham will start bolting for the square ahead of the ball.
He was trained by a Grand Master.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2023 12:35pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2023 10:11am
🙂

He was trained by a Grand Master.
🙂

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2023 7:41am NWM looks an absolute ripper out of half back. He will become very important and can see him copping a tag in that role, huge respect for a 2nd year player. Please sign him to a 4 year deal.

It seems Clark sees the game differently to most players, his mind moves quicker than others and sometimes for his ability. A good hitout for him, an injury free season and I can see a Top 10 B&F finish, if not Top 5.

Caminiti is a beauty, I he gets a few games this year and has a big pre season next year. We may have snuck one here. Could be our version of Mihocek given opportunities.
What a difference a week makes! Against Melbourne we looked pedestrian with our midfield completely out played, having said that Melbourne will be most likely a top 4 side. We started poorly against Essendon and finished over the top of them, but I dont rate them and believe they are possibly a bottom 4 side. So perhaps the win and some players form against the Bombers papered over the cracks a little? We desperately need elite clearance midfielders IMO.

Gees I hope we can convince NWM to stay. Surely with so many other SA kids around him he will feel more at home this year?

I was a critic of Clark's preparation, but if he keeps playing like did on Friday he will redeem himself.

What a fairy tale story it will be if Caminiti plays in the Round 1 side. The only thing that might keep him out would be Membrey returning. Even then I would love to see him play.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think Hunter is well aware that he put in a shocker against the Dees.

https://www.saints.com.au/video/1278272 ... 7834297001

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Why? Because you, the ill informed with a clear vendetta against a Coach says so? What if the coaching group needed to keep instilling a style of play and discipline amongst the group that can execute the plan deep into the last quarter?

Bizarre.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

RTB forgot to play them.

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 8:16am
RTB forgot to play them.

:mrgreen:
Ball revisited, eh? :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2023 9:05pm

Why? Because you, the ill informed with a clear vendetta against a Coach says so? What if the coaching group needed to keep instilling a style of play and discipline amongst the group that can execute the plan deep into the last quarter?

Bizarre.
Ill informed eh? :roll: :roll: Still say it was mean spirited because it clearly was, and no amount of abuse will change my mind. :evil: :twisted:

The forwards were cooked in the 4th and anyone with an once of footballing brain could see that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the age.

St Kilda 10.7 (67) d Essendon 3.14 (32)

Prized Saint Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera seems poised to take another step in his second season, in a dedicated defensive role. Wanganeen-Milera took the kick-ins and generated a team-most 589 metres in St Kilda’s dispatching of the woefully inaccurate Bombers. Only four teammates won more than the 20-year-old’s 23 disposals – and he is comfortably one of their finest users and silkiest movers. New list boss Stephen Silvagni would dearly love to extend his contract soon. On Essendon’s side, the sight of Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti playing always brings a smile to the face, but he is naturally some way off his best after returning from a brief retirement. “Tippa” missed a close-range set shot early and won only six disposals, but assistant Daniel Giansiracusa said they were seeing great signs from him. “He’s not far away, and if he can continue to tackle and chase down opposition [he will be valuable because] we know what he’s like around goal – he doesn’t need too many opportunities ... hopefully, he continues to improve for us.” – Marc McGow