Cooper Sharman ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cooper Sharman ...

happy feet wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 8:06pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 7:29pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 7:25pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 6:33pm This thread didn't age well.

Ironically Coops played North and Crows last year and was dropped.

Cordy straight back in but only becaue Sharman is way off the pace.
I don’t get you Vort

You went completely absent when he played well and wouldn’t offer so much as a compliment…
Threw up the old sample size argument and are the first to beat your chest with glee that I can feel despite it being online when the kid struggles.

My gut tells me you’re a bit on the unpleasant side.

His game still is at least on par with what Cordy produced who for some reason you heap the praise but if you make the sample size argument… it should still be too early to make a call. One good game, one poor one.
Why do you keep bringing Cordy into the discussion on Sharman, has nothing to do with the fact he is just not AFL standard.

The issues with Cordy are a completely different set of problems.

And I already explained to you I didn't feel he was deserving of a compliment as he gathered some cheap stats against an ammo side, ironically he played North and Crows last year and was dropped, you may not like my belief in reference points and sample sizes but they are meaningful measurements of players ability.
Sharman has something over you Vort, me, and just about everyone else on this forum.

He has played AFL football.

Maybe the rule on this forum should be something like, have you played AFL football? If not, then keep your comments to yourself.
Gee if we did that then it would be a VERY quiet forum

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 8:43pm You bought Cordy into the discussion
Yes but I'm not arguing Sharman is a better option and I'm not suggesting Cordy will be in our next GF side.

My prediction is Sharman will be cut at seasons end and Cordy will only be kept on the list as a depth player until the club can recruit an upgrade.

But at the moment Cody is average and well ahead of Sharman with regards to AFL standards.

The list is still very low on quality and arguing over these two players is a waste of bandwidth because neither can help us win some silverware.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Over the past two weeks, we have again seen the strenghts and limitations of Sharman's game at AFL level.

His strengths are that he is good at taking set shots and can take a good mark. And, while he's not particularly agile, he has a reasonable engine on him and is good at running into spa, no matter how badly he has played so far this year, is much better than Sharman at hunting for opportunities. He can also read the flight of the ball quite well, which is why he went ok as an intercepting backline player.

His main weakness is that he isn't the sort of player who can make things happen on his own. Membrey at his best (which we certainly haven't seen so far this year) is far more predatory than Sharman. And Owens is a whole level above both of them in that regard: showing the potential to be one of the game's most dangerous predators. And that's how champion medium-sized forwards at AFL level are required to play. The big blokes crash packs and the crumbers crumb (and hopefully tackle as well), but the medium-sized blokes need to go looking for their own ball: they can't just keep running into space and wave their hands above their head hoping that someone will pass it to them.

I haven't seen any signs that Sharman is capable of taking the next step. Which, for mine, makes him more of a VFL-standard player than an AFL-standard one.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift