RTB on SEN this morning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: RTB on SEN this morning

I am actually releived to conclude that Ross the Boss becomes Ross the Fairy Floss at press conferences.
No need to take hin seriously.

Except there are some gems of truth in the spinner, like marbles in the washing machine.

I remember he spent time rambling on about how good Cordy was at a presser, completely on his own volition. 'The reportters weren't asking and couldn't care less about Cordy) A few days later Cordy was dropped never to re-appear.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 11:43pm This simpleton was noting the similarity at similar points in time. Of course other factors need consideration. The way the guys fought out Saturday night's game was a credit to all concerned, they were as brave and committed as I've seen them, Richmond were just better.
At the same time we were not privy to Ratts plan for 2023, which he failed to sell in spectacular fashion. From memory, Ratts introduced Nasiah, Mitchito and Windy which gives natural improvement to the side in their second years.
Of course it takes time for a new set of game plan principles to get bedded down, so accept its too early to judge, but I suggest its ok to query how we let leads go, lost to Hawthorn, a side we should beat comfortably with our list, the shocker against Adelaide and the loss to Port. Is it too simpleton like to wonder about how the team was prepared for those games, i.e. the coaching. Maybe, if you say so.
Trust me, I'm an experienced successful coach is fine and to label the year exploratory is ok (but why use that term?). Some of us remember things like the 5yr plan and feel a little wary. Unworthy I know, but it doesn't lessen love for the club or respect for Ross' coaching ability and hoping against hope we make finals.
Friday night will be a another milestone in the journey and I'll be there yelling like the simpleton I am, actually expecting to do well, even if the formidable Qld side beats us. Put in a blinder Dougssss.
Yes and when we win it’s amazing how simple it becomes
And the simpletons simply seem to slither away
I don’t have a problem with asking a question
But expecting a full dissection of where we’ve lost games at pressers is odd
At least Ratts kept it simple
“Hey Saints fans…yeah….another tough night at the office…we just weren’t good enough….”
Maybe Ross needs to simplify the message

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 12:05am I am actually releived to conclude that Ross the Boss becomes Ross the Fairy Floss at press conferences.

Except there are some gems of truth in the spinner, like marbles in the washing machine.

I remember he spent time rambling on about how good Cordy was at a presser, completely on his own volition. 'The reportters weren't asking and couldn't care less about Cordy) A few days later Cordy was dropped never to re-appear.
There are gems in RTB pressers
His comments on Spuds game was telling
“Maybe we’ve been too emotionally invested previously …”
Have we won one? Does he have a point?
I think Ross thinks best way to show respect is through on field action
Rest is marketing spin

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 12:27am
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 12:05am I am actually releived to conclude that Ross the Boss becomes Ross the Fairy Floss at press conferences.

There are gems in RTB pressers
His comments on Spuds game was telling
“Maybe we’ve been too emotionally invested previously …”
Have we won one? Does he have a point?
I think Ross thinks best way to show respect is through on field action
Rest is marketing spin
Yes, I hated those speeches the players were given prior to Spud's game last year
I spoke about it here too
really bad to bomb the players with emotional baggage pre game..

And when we made it out on to the field, we had lead feet.
Seeing Josh Battle out of position as Essendon pounced us, was dreadful.
And it just got worse.
As did the season
As did Brett Ratten's career..except for now...bless him

Terrible idea..Give the players eductaion mid week please.
Leave the posturing for after the match
Win the game of footy please.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The 150th celebrations were a good way of doing things. Have it all happen out on the field with the players still in the rooms.

Players run out and it's business as usual.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Teflon "...And the simpletons simply seem to slither away"

Charming, if unnecessarily defensive, but not bad alliteration.

Try reading calmly; not about press conference performance at all, it was pointing out there appears no measurable general improvement in team results, which some simpletons see as the higher level objective. Also winning makes for a more pleasant train trip home on bitterly cold nights, which I appreciate is rather selfish short term thinking. It was also about hoping that the ground work put in by Ross starts to show on the scoreboard. Friday night would be a welcome start, don't you think. I am really hoping so and actually expect it. Light another candle on your Ross shrine, it might help.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:00am The 150th celebrations were a good way of doing things. Have it all happen out on the field with the players still in the rooms.

Players run out and it's business as usual.
Brilliant!

Brains award for the week!

I thought I was brilliant, being Shane and all, but this is a sensible idea.

Now please St Kilda, follow this idea.

And once again, we kept competing last week. Let's not forget we could have snatched it. 4 useless shots at goal in the last bit of the game,

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:56am Teflon "...And the simpletons simply seem to slither away"

Try reading calmly; not about press conference performance at all, it was pointing out there appears no measurable general improvement in team results, which some simpletons see as the higher level objective. Also winning makes for a more pleasant train trip home on bitterly cold nights, which I appreciate is rather selfish short term thinking. It was also about hoping that the ground work put in by Ross starts to show on the scoreboard. Friday night would be a welcome start, don't you think. I am really hoping so and actually expect it. Light another candle on your Ross shrine, it might help.
Wow
My post was actually a light hearted, tongue in cheek play on the simpleton theme you started which I thought was actually quite humorous?
Kinda ironic labelling me defensive after reading your response…
But anyhoo …I might light a candle and say a prayer for you instead …
Oh …and no better team results for simpletons than we are currently 5th. Hope that’s a fitting higher level objective for ya😏
Chin up and bring a blanket for the trip home.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Oh dear

Clutching at straws and looking for excuses

What happens pre game - really has FA bearing on the game

Players react when the ball is bounced - they don’t think about speeches, milestones, anthems, pre game bulls***, last posts…

If you think they do - you’ve never played a game.

Fact is, the ball gets near you, you react instinctively

If you need some extrinsic motivation to get up for some games - my question is - what about other games

There is no such thing as trying extra hard - that implies players don’t commit as a rule

They’ll get up for spud - rubbish
They get distracted by a pre game - even more rubbish

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:36pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:56am Teflon "...And the simpletons simply seem to slither away"

Wow
My post was actually a light hearted, tongue in cheek play on the simpleton theme you started which I thought was actually quite humorous?
Oh …and no better team results for simpletons than we are currently 5th. Hope that’s a fitting higher level objective for ya😏
If only our defence was as defensive as you. And that top shelf sledging. Opponents would be shattered. Good personal explanation. Credible.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

No measurable general improvement in team results??
This time last year we were 8th or if you wish consider the teams we were competing with around us on the ladder, we were equal 5th.
At the moment, we are not 8th, we sit in 5th position but we are equal 4th.
This time last year, 5 of the teams now below us, were above us and 2 of the teams below us are dominating the competition. I think that measures as a fairly successful transition, in comparisonto other team results.
This time last year we lost 3 on the trot, not this this year, the worst we could do this week is 2 losses in row.
If we win this week we end up equal 3rd.
By round 15 last year, we lost 4 in a row and we had zero expectations of top 4.
You also might want to check our losses and our last quarter efforts, we have improved considerably in this regard, even blind Freddy can see that.

I dont expect you to light a candle a on your RTB shrine, but you can't just sit in the darkness, trembling at the recall of our disastrous second half last year, expecting it to happen again, without acknowledging the fact that we have been in a winning position, late in games and bar a couple of goals here and there, we could be on top of the ladder.

Oh by the way, we won a marquee event game for the 150th and beat Sydney in Sydney.

If we win this week, we have blown the comparison to last year out of the water and a week later, we will likely secure a finals birth with 10 wins

From there, we will beat WCE, North, Hawthorn and Carlton for 14 wins at a minimum. That would be a fair improvement. Any improvement on 11 wins, is an improvement.

All I need to know that we have improved this week, is to be in the game with a chance to win in the last quarter.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Fri 23 Jun 2023 12:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:58pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:36pm

Wow
If only our defence was as defensive as you. And that top shelf sledging. Opponents would be shattered. Good personal explanation. Credible.
Ok …kinda..sort of but carry on…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:54pm Oh dear

Clutching at straws and looking for excuses

What happens pre game - really has FA bearing on the game

Players react when the ball is bounced - they don’t think about speeches, milestones, anthems, pre game bulls***, last posts…

If you think they do - you’ve never played a game.

Fact is, the ball gets near you, you react instinctively

If you need some extrinsic motivation to get up for some games - my question is - what about other games

There is no such thing as trying extra hard - that implies players don’t commit as a rule

They’ll get up for spud - rubbish
They get distracted by a pre game - even more rubbish
Who are you actually responding to it’s like watching someone have an irrational argument…with themselves… entertaining but odd

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 12:18am

This time last year we were 8th or if you wish consider the teams we were competing with around us on the ladder, we were equal 5th.
This time last year, 5 of the teams now below us, were above us and 2 of the teams below us are dominating the competition. I think that measures as a fairly successful transition, in comparisonto other team results.
This time last year we lost 3 on the trot, not this this year, the worst we could do this week is 2 losses in row.
By round 15 last year, we lost 4 in a row and we had zero expectations of top 4.
You also might want to check our losses and our last quarter efforts, we have improved considerably in this regard, even blind Freddy can see that.
Thank god someone else sees it
I’m amazed ..people are now credibly suggesting they can’t see any “higher level” improvement in team results?????
I guess there’s no pleasing sone who’ll only be happy if we nose dive so they can say “I told you Lyon was no good”
Just bizarre but anyway… it takes all types …

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I dont expect you to light a candle a on your RTB shrine, but you can't just sit in the darkness, trembling at the recall of our disastrous second half last year, expecting it to happen again, without acknowledging the fact that we have been in a winning position, late in games and bar a couple of goals here and there, we could be on top of the ladder.

Oh by the way, we won a marquee event game for the 150th and beat Sydney in Sydney.

If we win this week, we have blown the comparison to last year out of the water and a week later, we will likely secure a finals birth with 10 wins

From there, we will beat WCE, North, Hawthorn and Carlton for 14 wins at a minimum. That would be a fair improvement. Any improvement on 11 wins, is an improvement.

All I need to know that we have improved this week, is to be in the game with a chance to win in the last quarter.
yep

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 4:46am

yep
In addition to this
As Joey said on Fox this week and i completely agree
Win/lose/draw this week it doesn’t matter
What matters is you can SEE the way we want to play …in his words “the foundations” you can see the crop of kids getting ganes are good
Results like W/L are honestly not what I pannick over
I pannick over efforts like Hawks game cause that means we aren’t going forward
The effort against a seasoned Tigers side on their home deck in their captains 300th I was actually reasonably happy with bar a few 10 min bursts
Point is: we ste far more consistent than we ever were last year and THAT tells me we are on the right trajectory
Long way to go still and it’s why I could care less about finals this year tbh

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

"Light another candle on your Ross shrine, it might help".

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

<1 day ban for baiting>

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I have a Bunsen burner on my Ross shrine

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I like your confidence but need to get to 13 wins first before any celebration.

Those games you mentioned aren’t certainties either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 5:38pm

I like your confidence but need to get to 13 wins first before any celebration.

Those games you mentioned aren’t certainties either.
I am not confident, neither am I celebrating. I'm just offering a different possibility and pointing out what may not be seen through a negative bias.

We haven't lost 2 games in a row all year, even probability likes us and probably doesnt even support us. 😆

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 10:31am What matters is you can SEE the way we want to play …in his words “the foundations” you can see the crop of kids getting ganes are good
So "It's the vibe".

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 11:11am

"Light another candle on your Ross shrine, it might help".

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Post reported for baiting.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 6:14pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 10:31am What matters is you can SEE the way we want to play …in his words “the foundations” you can see the crop of kids getting ganes are good
So "It's the vibe".
So you think Montagna talks out his backside and the team isn’t playing differently to last year?

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think we have a bunch of players who have improved, adapted very well to a whole new gameplan, but still lack a core of key players who can move us forward. A number of players have also gone backwards this year, leading us to the same W/L result with an easier draw.

I do think we are setting the scene for future success, but the blind praise of a team turned around by a supercoach I don't buy.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 7:43pm I think we have a bunch of players who have improved, adapted very well to a whole new gameplan, but still lack a core of key players who can move us forward. A number of players have also gone backwards this year, leading us to the same W/L result with an easier draw.

I do think we are setting the scene for future success, but the blind praise of a team turned around by a supercoach I don't buy.
I don’t think recognising the team have done with an injury far greater than last year is blind faith…as Magic said…it’s like some here are just salivating at the prospect Lyon falls over ..
Re growth I think we are seeing best seasons from:
Owens
Crouch
Hill
Wood
Byrnes (till late)
Marshall
NAS
Higgins
Butler

Yes we’ve seen a few leaders stall …,but to me that’s the guard change and I don’t see masses of players going backwards
Clearly the fact we have been in every game bar Adelaide tells us the players have bought in ..unlike last year …

“Yeah….nah””