Sydney v St Kilda NAB Challenge Match Thread

lurker#134

Didn't we get smashed by Port in a late pre season praccy match in 09'?

BallBanger

To say who cares practice match, is crazy...we should be fine tuning our game plan and starting to put some score together.

Our scoring is pathetic

Our mids need to run deep

Sam23

BallBanger wrote:To say who cares practice match, is crazy...we should be fine tuning our game plan and starting to put some score together.

Our scoring is pathetic

Our mids need to run deep
Same was said in 2009.

give it a break.

Goddard.

Team are on their way home
http://ow.ly/i/94VF

Bakes..

dcstkfc wrote:Is Steven any chance for Round 1?
no chance

i know its a praccy match but im really tired of getting torn up by small pacy fwds like jetta. guys like him and gartlett think playing the saints is like having a picnic in the park. they love it

from a big footy poster who was there
Slim Pickens
Thought some of you might be interested in the thoughts of a neutral observer at tonights game.

The Swans won pretty comfortably, but to be fair a number of your better players looked to be going at half pace.

The Swans pushed up hard when the ball was in their forward line and your boys had real trouble getting the ball out of defensive 50. When they did they had no one to kick it to as all your forwards would move up the ground too so there was a fair bit of going sidewards and backwards.

Jones concusion came from a footy in the face from about 2 feet away. He was in a bit of trouble for a few seconds but came back on after half time.

Roo was quiet but will be better for the run.

Goddard took a speci on the grandstand wing and kicked a nice goal on his left but was otherwise quiet.

Gilbert played back and fought out a nill all draw with O'Keefe.

Gwilt was well beaten by Goodes.

I thought Montagna was one of you better players and McEvoy was pretty good in the ruck.

Happy to answer questions if I can.

AP Erebus

saintbrat wrote:from a big footy poster who was there
Slim Pickens
Thought some of you might be interested in the thoughts of a neutral observer at tonights game.

The Swans won pretty comfortably, but to be fair a number of your better players looked to be going at half pace.

The Swans pushed up hard when the ball was in their forward line and your boys had real trouble getting the ball out of defensive 50. When they did they had no one to kick it to as all your forwards would move up the ground too so there was a fair bit of going sidewards and backwards.

Jones concusion came from a footy in the face from about 2 feet away. He was in a bit of trouble for a few seconds but came back on after half time.

Roo was quiet but will be better for the run.

Goddard took a speci on the grandstand wing and kicked a nice goal on his left but was otherwise quiet.

Gilbert played back and fought out a nill all draw with O'Keefe.

Gwilt was well beaten by Goodes.

I thought Montagna was one of you better players and McEvoy was pretty good in the ruck.

Happy to answer questions if I can.
Doesn't surprise me.

Personally I can't give a rats arse about wins or losses in the pre-season.

What I look for is the second stringers putting some pressure on because I know BJ, Roo, Lenny & co. are looking for fitness and won't be putting 100% in (and I wouldn't be expect them to).

I'm happy with how we've gone. I think Gamble is going to be a very handy pickup and there are definately some kids that are putting some pressure on.

Nothings ever perfect, but it's only March. Premierships aren't won in March (*cough* Bulldogs 2010 *cough*)

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
St Lenny

Mmmmmmm, seem to remember a similar thing last year when we lost the NAB GF. Then when rnd 1 started we were a totally different team. Dont think i will panic just yet.

St Lenny wrote:Mmmmmmm, seem to remember a similar thing last year when we lost the NAB GF. Then when rnd 1 started we were a totally different team. Dont think i will panic just yet.
i couldnt give a flog about scorecard and playing swans is always a scrappy affair for us. i was just hoping for a report on the "kids" who played.

hungry for a premiership

Let's just wait till the season starts and the boys are actually playing for premiership points before any judgements are made.

At this point, we are second favourite to win the flag. That's how it sits until some footy is played.

I believe, barring a dramatic drop-off, we will be top four again this year. Who is better than us? Collingwood, okay, but who after that? Geelong? No, we have the wood on them. Same goes for the bulldogs. I believe the biggest threat to our top four position comes from Hawthorn, Carlton, Freo, Essendon.

But let's wait till some footy is played. The season is a MARATHON.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."

DEJA VU :twisted:

Worst thing to come out of it was Polo's dislocated finger and ball in CJ's melon.

That's a win as far as I'm concerned.

Oh but Jetta's fast!! Oh my gooooooooooooooood. Kill me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS like he isn't going to look quick and skilful against 16 other sides this year.........

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'

hungry for a premiership wrote:Let's just wait till the season starts and the boys are actually playing for premiership points before any judgements are made.

At this point, we are second favourite to win the flag. That's how it sits until some footy is played.

I believe, barring a dramatic drop-off, we will be top four again this year. Who is better than us? Collingwood, okay, but who after that? Geelong? No, we have the wood on them. Same goes for the bulldogs. I believe the biggest threat to our top four position comes from Hawthorn, Carlton, Freo, Essendon.

But let's wait till some footy is played. The season is a MARATHON.
I had Freo in my top four but they are rooted...

I think it will be another slog this year. Pile up the wins, make top four and see what happens.

It was the NAB Challenge wasn't it?

Praccy match or not, looks like lack of goal kicking, especially by mids will be our problem yet again. From what I've seen so far, I reckon we will be a carbon copy of last year.

AP Erebus

spert wrote:Praccy match or not, looks like lack of goal kicking, especially by mids will be our problem yet again. From what I've seen so far, I reckon we will be a carbon copy of last year.
If that means we reach another grand final i'll take it. Obviously I wouldn't take the same result.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.

I never know what to make of pre-season form, as we should have learned by now that when it comes to St Kilda, pre-season form is a smoke screen to the home-and-away season.

08, we win the cup and we like our chances. We were 5 - 7 after 12 rounds. Still ended up with 13 which gifted us top four, but history shows we were nowhere near the Cats and Hawks in September.

09, we we're 2 - 2 in the pre-season and our overall form wasn't great and their was some panic from fellow supporters. We win the first 19 rounds, finish minor premiers and lose the grand final that stats say we should have won.

10, we make the nab cup grand final in unconvincing fashion. Our first two matches were won thanks to a super goal, we thumped Freo who had travelled to Melbourne twice in two weeks and we got torn apart by the Dogs in the granny. We still finish third in the real season, draw the first grand final and lose the second.

Pre-seasons, I never know what to make of them, so I'm not going to panic.

SydneySainter wrote:I never know what to make of pre-season form, as we should have learned by now that when it comes to St Kilda, pre-season form is a smoke screen to the home-and-away season.

08, we win the cup and we like our chances. We were 5 - 7 after 12 rounds. Still ended up with 13 which gifted us top four, but history shows we were nowhere near the Cats and Hawks in September.

09, we we're 2 - 2 in the pre-season and our overall form wasn't great and their was some panic from fellow supporters. We win the first 19 rounds, finish minor premiers and lose the grand final that stats say we should have won.

10, we make the nab cup grand final in unconvincing fashion. Our first two matches were won thanks to a super goal, we thumped Freo who had travelled to Melbourne twice in two weeks and we got torn apart by the Dogs in the granny. We still finish third in the real season, draw the first grand final and lose the second.

Pre-seasons, I never know what to make of them, so I'm not going to panic.
Yep. That's the fact of the matter right there.

Still people jump at shadows.

We seriously have some lily livered types among our throng, that's for sure and certain...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'

how was gram yesterday? i am concerned with his form

defacto wrote:how was gram yesterday? i am concerned with his form
My biggest concern is not players out of form, but players out of form being selected.

how did Polo go?

we are still relying on Roo and Milne to kick our goals.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the result only that it shows we still need to find scoring power. Did Gamble play? Did Gilbert play forward? What did we try to do differently in the forward set up? This is where I'm more concerned.

I'm happy to see Roo and Milne scoring as usual but I wouldn't mind seeing some other signs - I suppose Cripps and Smith is a plus on that ledger (pardon the pun).

Munga wrote:how did Polo go?
So can anyone tell us how Polo went????

Did anyone actually go?