2013 Saints Fixture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2013 Saints Fixture

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I must have missed Hawthorns growth since they nearly merged.
No, you have just forgotten the time and what's happened.
It was 16 years ago, and ripped up by the hawks as they had enjoyed already one and a half decades of success and the next generation of fans from that were arriving at an age they could attend games and buy memberships. Still they had to get Tasmanian assistance and play home games in another state to survive. So hawthorns supporter base grew over 30 years, and still required government help.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I must have missed Hawthorns growth since they nearly merged.
No, you have just forgotten the time and what's happened.
It was 16 years ago, and ripped up by the hawks as they had enjoyed already one and a half decades of success and the next generation of fans from that were arriving at an age they could attend games and buy memberships. Still they had to get Tasmanian assistance and play home games in another state to survive. So hawthorns supporter base grew over 30 years, and still required government help.

So I take it North have the same amount of support.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So I take it North have the same amount of support.
Now you're not even trying.
Fair enough. Done to death.
Chalk one down to me.
See you next week :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Chalk one down to me.

Yes to good. What was I thinking. Arguing with a man who said the AFl should have started from scratch and we should have kept the sides in the VFL.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Chalk one down to me.

Yes to good. What was I thinking. Arguing with a man who said the AFl should have started from scratch and we should have kept the sides in the VFL.
I'll give you half a point for persistence.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Great to see the AFL has continued the trend of propping up Collingwood. Talk about charity.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Great to see the AFL has continued the trend of propping up Collingwood. Talk about charity.

Not from what informed unbiased critics have said.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Great to see the AFL has continued the trend of propping up Collingwood. Talk about charity.

Not from what informed unbiased critics have said.
No no your right who would a major sponsor want to tip there money into? The team with 7 Friday night games or the one with zero?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

All I can say about the fixture is that the Moorabbin Wing will have two vetry diificult games two organise. Collingwood at Etihad as our away game, and of course Geelong at Skilled or whatever stadium it is called now.
We haen't played there since 2003 and for good reason, our games attract too big a crowd, probably averaging in the mid to high 40,000's.
If we have a good season and are up amongst the the top teams in the comp when it is time to play Geelong there, the AFL are going to look like idiots scheduling this game there and there will be cries loud and strong to transfer the game to the appropriate venue it should have been scheduled at in the first place.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Geelong at Skilled or whatever stadium it is called now.
We haen't played there since 2003 and for good reason, our games attract too big a crowd, probably averaging in the mid to high 40,000's.
If we have a good season and are up amongst the the top teams in the comp when it is time to play Geelong there, the AFL are going to look like idiots scheduling this game there and there will be cries loud and strong to transfer the game to the appropriate venue it should have been scheduled at in the first place.
A night game in Geelong in the middle of winter? I can't imagine more than a few thousands Saints fans will go down there, especially if we're running along mediocre as I expect.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

they shouldnt be playing games there unless the ground can hold 50 thousand minimum

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Geelong at Skilled or whatever stadium it is called now.
A night game in Geelong in the middle of winter? I can't imagine more than a few thousands Saints fans will go down there, especially if we're running along mediocre as I expect.

I think Spaceman will be alone down there, I hope he cheers for all of us. That would be a long night getting home from there.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:All I can say about the fixture is that the Moorabbin Wing will have two vetry diificult games two organise. Collingwood at Etihad as our away game, and of course Geelong at Skilled or whatever stadium it is called now.
the AFL rarely get these things wrong. they can see we will be average at best next year, and also they know our supporters are s*** when it comes to any away game. the ground will hold say 35k by then, 28 geelong and 4k saints. there will be spare seats all over the place. A lot like Hawks v Saints in 09 at Taz, everyone gave it to the afl for playng it there etc, and that game was no where near what the ground can hold, or what it has.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Yep footscray played finals and still couldn't get prime games. They have been typecast as one of the little clubs and will remain so due to the afl pandering to money interests first. We have been very successful on the field, but continue to struggle financially compared to other successful teams - hence our move to the boondocks and playing in wellington. What I want is to pander to fairness first.
We obviously see it from too different angles. You see it as the afl reaching a set of financial goals, without which they cannot support the little clubs. I see it as the very goals they have set have created the situation.
You don't think creating afl clubs for a national comp would have worked. I say look at Adelaide, Freo, and west coast. Port should join that group but for very poor implementation and branding - caused by trying to bring a sanfl club into a national comp - the same problem caused by trying to bring all vfl clubs in.
And you want to believe it is emotive crap that others will disappear, relocate, or merge. Others see it as a rational consequence. And your argument seems to be asked on what you believe is rational thinking - keep me on drip feed to keep them alive. So follow that train of thought over a generation and where does it lead? Do you really believe the afl will continue to bleed money to these clubs or will they look to expand the game further outiside Victoria. Which will require more money?
Hawthorn moved to the Boondocks too - and I would argue that Launceston is far more rural than Wellington. Go outside Australia and ask people where Launceston is, and then ask em where Wellington is. Wellington is a far better option for mine. And, as I have said before, Hawthorn did very well out of the Peninsula, and playing in the inner city at Princes Park nearly sent them broke.
The Bulldogs are a very different kettle of fish to us - they don't get enough exposure and we get too much at times.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What sucks about playing at Kardinia Parkis that we already had 7 interstate games. So we didn't deserve that kind of extra shafting.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:What sucks about playing at Kardinia Parkis that we already had 7 interstate games. So we didn't deserve that kind of extra shafting.

Yep that hour is way to much.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:What sucks about playing at Kardinia Parkis that we already had 7 interstate games. So we didn't deserve that kind of extra shafting.

Hour?

I just walked there from my front door. Five minutes max 8-)

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hour?

Keep your couch vacant for me that night, Spacy,

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hour?

Breaking News:

Prominent Saints fan Dr. Spaceman has been successful after many years of lobbying both the AFL and St. Kilda for the Saints to play a home game in Geelong.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Round 5 home game in NZ... Ixcellent!

Although round 6 woulda been butter.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Tue 13 Nov 2012 10:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Or should that be 'bitter'?

saintkellerm
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hour?

Can I park my car at yr place? Reminds me of the old Moorabbin days when the locals would sell parking in their front yard :)

SunburySaint
Club Player

Meanwhile in geelong...

Now lives in Geelong...