St Kilda, a club in crisis. The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda, a club in crisis. The Age

seano1 wrote:Why doesnt she do a piece on all the clubs being ripped off by the management of ETIHAD stadium...thats where some of our cash went
That may require her to actually investigate a story rather than what she dies now and that's cut and paste the same story over and over

I love this club
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:A few weeks back in a thread I posted that Westaway had 'destroyed" the Saints. Now while I deliberately used colorful language to prompt discussion, the fact is that under his watch as president that the club has had a disastrous period. The Grand Finals just blinded many as to his ineptness. The right, right....was actually wrong, wrong.

A period with a list that played in 2 Grand Finals (3 if you count the draw) should have been an era where the club was set up financially. Instead our chance to secure our future was frittered away by ineptness.

Under his watch fans have been disenfranchised (ie Social club Members for one treated like rubbish), a well regarded coach lost as they dithered on his contact allowing Freo to swoop, a new coach allowed to run rampant, a lack of sponsors, contininued off -field turmoil, appointing an old-boy as CEO.

The club is in disarray, and in that thrust of the article caro is quite correct. Though I disagree wit her comments on this years trading, but Caro has always been a lot stronger on the off-field shenanigans, that on football nouse.

Westaway was a failure as a leader. Indeed the rumours are, and have always been that he was only ever a puppet for others on the Board, and if so that is no way to run a football club. Westaway swept into power with Footy First, and began an era of Offield Last.

So while yes Watters was a problem, there is a lot more at the Saints that needs fixing. Summers needs to step up to the plate big time. The Board needs a clean out, and we need an A-Grade CEO.

There has been some promising talk in recent weeks, but we need a lot, lot more than promising talk.
What if we had won one of the Grand finals? The 'play' is the thing mate. We nearly won two grand finals while under 'his watch' as you put it. The club is in dissaray financially because of a sh*th*use deal we got at Etihad. And that was under a different President's watch. Let's not forget that. We'd be better off if we played matches at Seaford. More supporters would go, that's for sure. :roll:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:'But ...was endemic of the entire club. One that has allowed Moorabbin to sit moribund when it remains such a part of St Kilda's soul.'
This is the part of the article that really got to me, as it's spot on.

Seaford has been a negative in all ways for the club. I want to see the Saints back at Moorabbin. It's heart-rending seeing it sit there in its neglect. The club needs to re-embrace Moorabbin. It's symbolic as well 'real' for its supporters, something Seaford will never be. I want Summers to start driving this move.
SEAFORD is a training base, it's not a supporter hub, it was never meant to be, it's a lot more "state of the art" than that Moorabbin dump was, that place was an embarassment, pulling it down was the best thing that ever happened. At least we now have a modern training facility, albeit, up against a Freeway, why didn't they get a wall built across the back like a lot of places do that are up against a freeway.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Caro exaggerates for sure

But on the flipside - there is no point shooting the messenger or us constantly claiming to be 'picked on'

thats a victim mentality

lets face it - we have low membership, lowish match attendance and have had struggled to get significant sponsors in the door - so given the cost of running an afl club keeps going up - of course were in some strife

no point denying it - best discuss how we can fix it

one thing i would take issue in the article - that williams might not take the job even if offered

thats laughable
hed jump at it

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gringo

Surely you jest on many of those points?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I love the way she has a rolling commentary of doom - whether she's right or not on the scant NEW information she's mentioned I'm not sure, but its laughable that she manages to drag EVERY single conceivable event in our history back out to build her case.

That's lazy IMO- it's not good journalism it's Polly filler in a newspaper and is getting tiring

I still think she was no where near as concerted or "revisionist" when the allegations around Dusty Martin and her beloved Tigers came out.......

End of the day who gives a toss I guess....When the kids come through, we sign a new major partner and look on the up she'll be back on us like flies on poo telling is all of the "bold decision to remove Watters and appoint Williams and what a master stroke that was".... (there'll be lots in between left out though...)
Last edited by Teflon on Sat 09 Nov 2013 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I live the way she has a rolling commentary if doom - whether she's right or not on the scant NEW information she's mentioned I'm not sure, but its laughable that she manages to drag EVERY single conceivable event in our history back out to build get case.

That's lazy IMO- it's not good journalism it's Polly filler in a newspaper and is getting tiring

I still think she was no where beat as concerted or "revisionist" when the allegations around Dusty Martin and her beloved Tigers came out.......

End if the day who gives a toss? When the kids come through, we sign a new major partner and look on the up she'll be back on us like flies on poo.
if summers has any gonads he will ban anybody at the club from talking to the destructive witch.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kimberly saint
Club Player

just a stkilda cycle. crisis first, slowly rebuild good for few years then back to square one . Just a pity we could not ad flag or two into the end of the cycle.
Well bounce back up again, the hags just tying to earn a living

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: one thing i would take issue in the article - that williams might not take the job even if offered

thats laughable
hed jump at it
I wouldn't be too sure on that. I'm sure he wants it but I reckon he will hold out for as much as he can. Coaching the Saints doesn't usually end well, and I think they are all on to that now.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

SemperFidelis wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:A poster a month or so ago mentioned Pelchen's absences.
I can't find this post, unfortunately. Does anyone know anything about this issue? Are we talking about unusually timed mid-season holidays (the Demetriou approach), unexplained no shows during the regular work day, or something else?

Obviously Caro snuck it into her piece without further particulars to round out the "rabble" argument, but is it a real issue, or perhaps something emerging from the Watters camp?
Tony74 on September 16.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Let's face facts it's makes a huge difference to fans and most of all to the recruitment of players !
the recruitment of players would not make a difference. would it be any different going to Essendon airport for Essendon recruits now there is no windy hill? of course not. new recruits don't know what Moorabbin was like. I personally don't care if it was at Moorabbin or Seaford.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

@LeighRMatthews: They say knowledge is power but knowledge of Lions financial position is scary. We desperately need increase in membership. Sign up please
"

To quote Leigh Matthews, insert Saints

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:

What if we had won one of the Grand finals? The 'play' is the thing mate. We nearly won two grand finals while under 'his watch' as you put it. The club is in dissaray financially because of a sh*th*use deal we got at Etihad. And that was under a different President's watch. Let's not forget that. We'd be better off if we played matches at Seaford. More supporters would go, that's for sure. :roll:
Those GF appearances had squat all to do wit GW as we were already on our way.

The Etihad deal I believe came about as the AFL forced us to leave VFL Park against our wishes, and was I believe a not negotiable deal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We also left Moorabbin under that same President's reign several years before. We weren't forced to leave Moorabbin, we did it to be 'good citizens' I think the quote was. Maybe if we had stayed at Moorabbin we could have brokered a better deal.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

Those GF appearances had squat all to do wit GW as we were already on our way.

The Etihad deal I believe came about as the AFL forced us to leave VFL Park against our wishes, and was I believe a not negotiable deal.
I remember the crowd figure at Docklands for us to just break even.....28,000. Don't know if that is still the case, but what a millstone. GT was the one from memory who used to bang on about the injustice. The AFL put us in this hole primarily,that is true. Our admin haven't helped.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anyway all that really matters is what is done now, as the past is not alterable.

We need to get our act into gear, off-field and on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kalsaint
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:We continually, continually give Caro stories to write about. Why would she not write about us when we shoot ourselves in the foot time after time. We are certainly not a boring club like North or Footscray.
Yes so true.

She even did this to Richmond in the past when she was caught between her role and the club ties to poor performance. No surprises here. Facts are liberal and make a good story for her so why get uptight about her. Contol only what is controllable, the club performance, the leaks and ensure the club is recognised as growing with a new culture.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Anyway all that really matters is what is done now, as the past is not alterable.

We need to get our act into gear, off-field and on.
But we need to learn from our odd mistakes.

Would make a good book all our blunders and controversies, although I'm sure our 140 years book and the one before they covets most of them

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Goddard Magic
Club Player

The stronger clubs of the competition are united in ensuring they retain their positions of power while the weaker clubs like ours are divided. When Melbourne, the Bulldogs and North go to the AFL for help we stand by and either criticise them or do nothing. How can we expect their support now that we're in trouble?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think caro is writing from a tiges perspective.
Mark Williams is hardly likely to say to his current colleagues and employers 'Gee im pumped about this Saints job. Hope i get it'

Hes much more likely to say 'lets wait and see . The saints are in in disarray so im not real sure what will happen"

Its only natural to cover ur own ass in that situation.

Reality is this is most likely his last ever oppprtunity at a senior job. He will be desperate.

Unless Hardwick gets run over by a bus Choco wont get another chance after this one.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 6756713307

Lucky he doesnt play for the saints other wise that "culture" word would be thrown around.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 6756713307

Lucky he doesnt play for the saints other wise that "culture" word would be thrown around.
Sam Fisher is now with Franklin's ex GF.
Looks like she suffers from the "Liz Hurleys"(dating c ockheads).
Symptom of bad culture for Fisher to even be mixing in the same circles as Buddy? :oops:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The GOOD NEWS is that "Caro's Leaks" coming out of St Kilda should start drying up in the next 2-3 weeks !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The GOOD NEWS is that "Caro's Leaks" coming out of St Kilda should start drying up in the next 2-3 weeks !!
Who's leaving?

whiskers3614 wrote:(dating c ockheads).
drop the c, and add another e...