Surely not the next best coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#gosaintas
Club Player

Re: Surely not the next best coach

There is no doubt that Choco is a nutter but so what...plenty of nutters coach good teams. Look at Clarkson. If his team was crap he would be seen as a crap coach. He has a star team and is seen as a guru. Sheedy, Malthouse, Pagan, Hafey, Choco and Clarkson - all pretty much insane yet they are premiership coaches. Administration and the playing personal are much more important than which idiot coaches the team. Don't worry about it James. The new President, CEO, recruiting team, development coaches and of course The Pelican will decide how we go. The coach is irrelevant providing he tows the company line.

jamesmc
Club Player

PJ wrote:Jamesmc your initial post implies he is not a good coach - I don't think you have any knowledge one way or the other (neither do I). You also have no understanding of what is going on in the process so why assume the people in charge aren't making the right choices or interviewing the right people.
i don't

jamesmc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:There is no doubt that Choco is a nutter but so what...plenty of nutters coach good teams. Look at Clarkson. If his team was crap he would be seen as a crap coach. He has a star team and is seen as a guru. Sheedy, Malthouse, Pagan, Hafey, Choco and Clarkson - all pretty much insane yet they are premiership coaches. Administration and the playing personal are much more important than which idiot coaches the team. Don't worry about it James. The new President, CEO, recruiting team, development coaches and of course The Pelican will decide how we go. The coach is irrelevant providing he tows the company line.
Then why do they get paid as much money as they are? :? Is the Pelican going to be paid more than the coach? Are you the only one with this left field opinion?

Burkey 1
Club Player

I believe the club will get Williams, I just keep having these feelings that the club sold this vision to our new recruits, why have they been so keen to join to the Saints after all the negative media reports, of course we still have to get him but someone close to Choco must've had a word to him leading up to Watters sacking to gauge his interest ( Pelchin ?? ).

I just believe the club had a plan all along to get Choco, just my gut feel that's all, I really hope we can pull it off as his experience and hardness is what we need right now, his appointment should engender alot of excitement and hopefully increase memberships.

Greg T
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Kingsley....

Also untried, and I think we need a proven in our situation? We can't gamble again....

Has there been many situations where a low profile coach has succeeded from coming from within th organisation ...... Knights, Brittian were mistakes?
Longmire I think was transitioned well?
Agree with this BM.
At this stage of events,a really experienced person is needed for these young blokes.
I just hope choco wants the gig and has the passion to succeed.
Our club isn't to kind to Coaches at times.......
Don't know about Kingsley,but like Watters,may be ripped to shreds as well.
This time round I hope the club goes for the experienced coach !

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Kingsley....
Also untried, and I think we need a proven in our situation? We can't gamble again....
We can't gamble???

How many "proven" coaches are standing in the queue at the moment?

The gamble is already on.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda will interview the final two candidates for the senior coaching job over the next two days before cutting to a shortlist of two by Wednesday.
The final pair will have a second interview later this week before the club makes a decision next Monday.
The Saints have formally interviewed three candidates: former Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams, and St Kilda assistants Adam Kingsley and Simon McPhee, who coached the club's VFL team this year.
The other two coaching prospects - both assistant coaches at AFL clubs - will make their presentations by Tuesday night.

The managers of Alan Richardson, Simon Goodwin, Leigh Tudor and Scott Burns were approached to gauge their clients' interest, but all ruled themselves out of consideration.
St Kilda's coaching selection panel was encouraged by an adviser to speak with former Carlton coach Brett Ratten, but did not follow through with an approach.
Former Brisbane Lions coach Michel Voss and former Sydney and Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade were also considered, but the Saints opted against making an approach.

Not much left on the table.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z2kG08Hhkj

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I wonder who the two remaining interviewees are? I think it is crucial that the club appoints Williams and not pluck an assistant out of the ranks.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Williams and Kingsley you would think.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:There is no doubt that Choco is a nutter but so what...plenty of nutters coach good teams. Look at Clarkson. If his team was crap he would be seen as a crap coach. He has a star team and is seen as a guru. Sheedy, Malthouse, Pagan, Hafey, Choco and Clarkson - all pretty much insane yet they are premiership coaches. Administration and the playing personal are much more important than which idiot coaches the team. Don't worry about it James. The new President, CEO, recruiting team, development coaches and of course The Pelican will decide how we go. The coach is irrelevant providing he tows the company line.
All senior coaches are nutters when compared to the average person. Their scores on factors like leadership, ambition, detachment, ego, tough mindedness, dominance, control, risk taking and self centerdness would be way off the charts compared to a normal range for the average population.

It's also an extremely selfish career choice when it come to personal relationships and family.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
All senior coaches are nutters when compared to the average person. Their scores on factors like leadership, ambition, drive, detachment, ego, risk taking and self centerdness would be way off the charts compared to a normal range for the average population.

It's also an extremely selfish career choice when it come to personal relationships and family.
True… Tis' why I chose not to pursue a head coach role, quality family time.

Pretty big sacrifice I guess - not leading us to our 2nd flag, and I don't shy away from that.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
True… Tis' why I chose not to pursue a head coach role, quality family time.

Pretty big sacrifice I guess - not leading us to our 2nd flag, and I don't shy away from that.
I never had you figured for a family guy Dragit. Nutter, yes.

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintnick12
Club Player

The Saints have formally interviewed three candidates: former Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams, and St Kilda assistants Adam Kingsley and Simon McPhee, who coached the club's VFL team this year.
The other two coaching prospects - both assistant coaches at AFL clubs - will make their presentations by Tuesday night.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z2kHRK1gM2

So any ideas who these other two assistants yet to make their presentation are. All the main assistants seem to have ruled themselves out already ( Richardson, Burns, Tudor, Goodwin) and Ratten/Voss ruled out by us.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like the assistants that ruled themselves out did so because they know they won't get the job and don't want to be seen to miss out again.

I love this club
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Sounds like the assistants that ruled themselves out did so because they know they won't get the job and don't want to be seen to miss out again.
Yep, they all know its Williams....

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Sounds like the assistants that ruled themselves out did so because they know they won't get the job and don't want to be seen to miss out again.
Yep, they all know its Williams....
And I find that Pleasing as a former employee of the club would say

I love this club
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saintspremiers wrote:
fingers wrote:I wouldn't mind someone who is a little crazy. Lose the corporate speak.
Exactly. Was GT's best attribute.
If you mean 'crazy' SP, then yes I agree. And yes, that's 'crazy' in a good way. 8-)

If you mean loose the 'corporate speak'... GT actually introduced that BS to the AFL vernacular!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

(I like GT. My only other issue was how we coped against good sides that flooded... ie; we didn't cope. However, he did say in his brief return to our forum that that issue had been identified, and was to be addressed... never got the chance to deliver on that one though... :( )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

dragit wrote:A much more interesting table would be total profit/loss from scheduled home games...

The above figure supposedly includes "amounts for ground buyout agreements".

The biggest concern for all poor Etihad clubs is shelling out for nearly every home game instead of making money. This stadium deal is 100% the AFL's doing.
Agree dragstar... hence why we need a Hillbilly-style ($800K profit per game, win nearly every game) boutique home ground at Moorabbin. :wink:

Emotion... and $$$. 8-)

PS: Hillbilly Hoe-Down stadium is being pretty much rebuilt. When I recently went on the MCG tour our guide told us that the only original structure remaining at the 'G was the fence around the playing field... and they didn't even think that was original...

Both stadia seem to have no trouble drawing emotive crowds... so I don't believe that you have to worry about that concern.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

There is just a tinge of Butters/GT (before it all went pear shaped) about a Pelchen/Williams combination.

I hope Choco gets the job. You would think Pelchen is batting for him and although It really doesnt matter who is coaching the next 2 years (ie we are going to be bottom 4) regardless of coach), you would think Pelchen will back Choco 100% to keep going beyond 2016 which is when we should be starting to show something. Just have a nagging feeling that if they appoint someone else, they will need to do everything right if they want keep coaching for more than 3 years and then we go through this all again. Would love to see what Choco can achieve in years 3 - 6.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
dragit wrote:A much more interesting table would be total profit/loss from scheduled home games...

The above figure supposedly includes "amounts for ground buyout agreements".

The biggest concern for all poor Etihad clubs is shelling out for nearly every home game instead of making money. This stadium deal is 100% the AFL's doing.
Agree dragstar... hence why we need a Hillbilly-style ($800K profit per game, win nearly every game) boutique home ground at Moorabbin. :wink:

Emotion... and $$$. 8-)

PS: Hillbilly Hoe-Down stadium is being pretty much rebuilt. When I recently went on the MCG tour our guide told us that the only original structure remaining at the 'G was the fence around the playing field... and they didn't even think that was original...

Both stadia seem to have no trouble drawing emotive crowds... so I don't believe that you have to worry about that concern.
Sure thing Dave :D

The southern stand only cost $150,000,000 & the Northern stand $460,000,000 to build.

Let us know if you come across $600,000,000 then we can get started on that new stadium - but if we are going to dream, I wouldn't be choosing Moorabbin as the location… why not a floating stadium on the bay, like the Dubai palm development?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ifelchen/Williams are such china plates.... Why did Chris leave Port when he did?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ifelchen/Williams are such china plates.... Why did Chris leave Port when he did?

Dont know but I changed jobs and left a few great mates as im sure most on here have done.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ifelchen/Williams are such china plates.... Why did Chris leave Port when he did?
Nothing to do with being mates. If they have worked to gether then then they know what they are in for. The whole thing is over-rated, but Williams will know that more than outsiders.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Question not answered?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Question not answered?
The real answer is probably 'career advancement', but I'm guessing that you are thinking it has something to do with serpents or sorcery?

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post