Intra club Sat 21st- teams and news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Intra club Sat 21st- teams and news

doggerel wrote:Jack Newnes was very, very good today. Got a lot of the ball, very hard at it, instrumental in a lot of forward thrusts
Good. The midfield it the major concern and where the improvement's gotta come. Too many one-paced plodders for my liking.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
doggerel wrote:Jack Newnes was very, very good today. Got a lot of the ball, very hard at it, instrumental in a lot of forward thrusts
Good. The midfield it the major concern and where the improvement's gotta come. Too many one-paced plodders for my liking.
Please name these plodders.

8856brother wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Armitage,Geary,Weller, Ross,Dunstan,Newnes...all one paced which is medium to slow,and all vying for a spot in the middle. It was ridiculously lobsided last year,and don't expect any change this year either

Bring back the Lockett era
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
8856brother wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Armitage,Geary,Weller, Ross,Dunstan,Newnes...all one paced which is medium to slow,and all vying for a spot in the middle. It was ridiculously lobsided last year,and don't expect any change this year either
All plodders are they?

SS Life Member

It is not just about foot speed , it is 'speed of action', moving when you have or win the ball. I agree with Jonesy we are very one paced in our midfield . A good example is Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn he is not quick, but is quick with his hands, feet and to move to free space. Apart from Steven we dont have any other mids with those qualities and we dont have the speed and class on the outside to cut teams up. Hence we rely on going backwards before we move the ball foward.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Did they check for membership cards for the free tucker and drinks?
I was watching a security guy who seemed hell bent on directing people away from the areas near the LHC.

maybe he was checking if they were members, it seemed a bit ridiculous but this dude was serious about his job.
Seems very ridiculous to check membership cards. How many people are going to turn up to a Saints intraclub practice match for the free food?

asaint
Club Player

Yes, they did check memberships. Just trying to encourage joining up before the season starts I guess.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:It is not just about foot speed , it is 'speed of action', moving when you have or win the ball. I agree with Jonesy we are very one paced in our midfield . A good example is Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn he is not quick, but is quick with his hands, feet and to move to free space. Apart from Steven we dont have any other mids with those qualities and we dont have the speed and class on the outside to cut teams up. Hence we rely on going backwards before we move the ball foward.
seb ross has about the quickest hands i have seen at the club in years....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
jonesy wrote:
8856brother wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
All plodders are they?
OK, plodders was maybe a bit strong. Some of these guys have ability.

Problem is they are mostly similar types: In and under ball winners. Don't see a lot of break away speed there or dazzling evasive skills. Needs an X-factor.

We have Steven, who is quick, then the rest - the ones named above - seem to be mostly extractors. There's Joey, of course, but he's getting on in years.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 22 Feb 2015 9:57am, edited 2 times in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
jonesy wrote:
8856brother wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
All plodders are they?
As a collective midfield in comparison to the rest of the competition,yes. Dunstan will be A grade, Armitage is ok, Geary is serviceable, the other three are yet to prove themselves as AFL midfielders. You can't have a midfield group that consists of servicable to ok midfielders that seriously lack leg speed and to top it off we lack outside run players for these guys to dish it out too.

Bring back the Lockett era
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
asaint wrote:Great turn out. Disappointing kids clinic, only a few activities and no players present.
Dare iced coffees, Big M' s and a sausage sizzle all free to members.
Manageable queues at the icecream and coffee vans.
Writing this from the perspective of a parent but the morning was well run considering how many people were there.
Everyone was upbeat. Don't you love preseason?
Did they check for membership cards for the free tucker and drinks?
Yes they did. Maybe if you had have turned up you would have known they did.

Lazy - too far pfft :roll:

I travelled from Altona to support the team and see the new players.

Was a typical intra club. Dunstan looked great, McCartin looked good early, Payne the rookie was prominent, Saad looked ready to go. Goddard a good size,got a bit lost without an opponent a couple of times. Newnes good mover in heavy traffic, Membrey had the best game from a Saints No.28 in 5 years.

Holmes andPierce impressed in the ruck. Holmes very mobile and clean below his knees.Spencer will continue to tease, Markworth and Acres wee un remarkable.

Mids seem one paced, Webster seems the quickest in the team by far. Good chase down and tackle (cant remember on who). Mav and Fish are beasts,

Others others have said, we seem to have a plethora of inside mids, , Armo, Dunstan, Acres, Mav, and very few runners with toe, Jack and possibly Eli.

The talk will grow about FA or drafting of this type of player

You are garbage - Enough said
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Home guernsey: 6.6 (42)

Away guernsey: 3.1 (19)

BEST: Fisher, Newnes, Ross, Webster, Lee, Templeton, White, Geary, Armitage

GOALS: White 2, Lee 2, Shenton, Markworth, McCartin, Membrey, Saad

interesting........very... :wink:

i'm predicting ross to have a breakout year......

ps....that's our away jumper for this year too...no
Last edited by stinger on Sun 22 Feb 2015 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:It is not just about foot speed , it is 'speed of action', moving when you have or win the ball. I agree with Jonesy we are very one paced in our midfield . A good example is Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn he is not quick, but is quick with his hands, feet and to move to free space. Apart from Steven we dont have any other mids with those qualities and we dont have the speed and class on the outside to cut teams up. Hence we rely on going backwards before we move the ball foward.
seb ross has about the quickest hands i have seen at the club in years....
Thats great but when you handball backwards to another stationary player it just perpetuates the issue.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
or more likely...

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-2 ... tch-report

The midfield battle was a captivating one for a number of reasons. Firstly, it illustrated precisely how dangerous St Kilda’s engine room can be when blessed a full bill of health. Regular on-ballers Luke Dunstan, Seb Ross, Maverick Weller, David Armitage and Leigh Montagna were well supported by the rapidly improving Jack Newnes (one of the best players on the day) and a bulked-up Jack Billings.

On one occasion Armitage fed the ball back to Newnes, who disposed of it via hand to Billings. Suffocated by an apparent lack of space and time, Billings’ left boot found a lateral outlet in Montagna which encapsulated the Saints slick ball movement.

Armitage had done the grunt work, found Billings whose superior vision and composure allowed the 19-year-old to pinpoint Montagna 35 metres away.

As forecast earlier in the week, Eli Templeton rarely ventured anywhere other than the wing and looked lively throughout, at one stage taking on three opponents at once in front of the coaches box.

An array of other players showed promising signs and if the intra club is anything to go by, Alan Richardson and his coaching staff have a difficult job selecting a team for next Saturday’s NAB Challenge clash with Brisbane in Moreton Bay."

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Speed matters for a different reason in the modern game.

You need players who can win contested ball first and distribute it fast. We are ok in this area.

Once the ball is out, whether you have it/opposition has it, you need move it to space quickly/close down space. This is where we struggle.

We're an average team at the in-and-under but slow away from the contest. That means when some teams get going, they'll kill us.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Love the new away guernsey

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Love the new away guernsey
+1 :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

+2.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

+2.
Posting, coz I just wanted to highlight you two blokes agreeing on something. :D

Although I prefer the early 2000's version of the heritage jumper (more, and narrower stripes), I can certainly very happily live with this one.

+3. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:BEST: Fisher, Newnes, Ross, Webster, Lee, Templeton, White, Geary, Armitage
Tell ya what, if Newnes, Ross, Webster, Lee, Templeton and White are in the best for a decent number of games this year then we'll be doing OK.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Speed matters for a different reason in the modern game.

You need players who can win contested ball first and distribute it fast. We are ok in this area.

Once the ball is out, whether you have it/opposition has it, you need move it to space quickly/close down space. This is where we struggle.

We're an average team at the in-and-under but slow away from the contest. That means when some teams get going, they'll kill us.
This.
Harsh but fair. I cant see us getting off the bottom 3 until this issue is addressed. We need to get Webster up to a wing. Get Nate Wright on a wing. Then recruit/draft another couple of outsiders. Hopefully McKenzie is good also.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Some sides like Sydney don't have a lot of pace in the midfield but have attacking, running defenders with speed.
North Melbourne is another one.
Having Jack and another would be enough genuine pace in the midfield if Webster and Wright can provide effective run from defense

stinger
Saintsational Legend

hey dave...that's taking things a bit way to far mate.....i was agreeing with magnifisaint.....i don't give a rats what the other fellow is posting....nor do i care :roll:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Some sides like Sydney don't have a lot of pace in the midfield but have attacking, running defenders with speed.
North Melbourne is another one.
Having Jack and another would be enough genuine pace in the midfield if Webster and Wright can provide effective run from defense
If Wright can make a successful move up into the middle and McKenzie can play then I will be stoked. Really want those two guys to be good.
Webster playing a defensive wing (Ray) role could also be a big help because he has has more pace and better kicking than Faz. At this stage I am thinking Savage and Shenton as the two half backs.
(I now have Shenton in the best 22. Possibly best 18).

But Nate Wright is the one who could step up to be an outside mid this year potentially. Nate Wright working alongside Jack Steven could be exciting.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Our foot skills continue to be a problem. I hope they improve dramatically over the next month. McCartin was the highight, runs to the right spaces and looks like a really good reader of the game. I think our forwards will find it hard going if our ball use does not improve.