Board Challenge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

congorozides
Club Player

Re: Board Challenge

jaxons wrote: Thu 17 May 2018 10:26pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 17 May 2018 9:18pm So do you personally believe we need changes at Board Level Jaxons?

The concerns that our Board are 'yes' men has been expressed often, but I have yet to hear a solid argument that they actually are. I consider you somebody that probably does have some insight to the Club, so is the assertion that they're 'yes' men your informed opinion and are there other issues with the Administration? Thanks.
I don’t think, I know we need massive changes at all levels.
Board
Administration
Recruiting
Coaching
NO s***

I have been saying this for 9 months now. Loud and clear.

congorozides
Club Player

bigred wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:32am More self important flogs that just want to use our club as a vehicle to promote their own agendas.

Probably

Similar to the current nuff nuffs.

But you cant much dumber than the current regime.

Problem with the saints culture is they equate money to brains.

Lots of thick rich people out there attracted to our club. Summers is another one of them.

congorozides
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:53am How long have Tascone & Shoshack been in business for? So we have a marketing/media guy and a retailer, do they know how to run a footy club?
Probably not.

But we know for sure that Summers and Finnis cant. It is a proven fact.

congorozides
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 1:07am
bigred wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:32am More self important flogs that just want to use our club as a vehicle to promote their own agendas.
Pretty uniformed and stereotyping comment mate.
As I said earlier people in the know reckon this guy loves the Saints and is super smart tough and connected and respected in footy world.
Don’t shoot the messenger as this forum tends to do and be so negative, only passing on what I heard.
Not sure he even wants to or has expressed a desire to be involved.
If you don’t want him who do you want?
Every person will have knockers on this forum.

LOL

More 'people in the know'.

Who the f*** are these 'people in the know' and what do they supposedly 'know'? f*** ALL.

This is typical saints crap.

You are above and better than this jaxons.

Next you will be using terms like 'afl circles' and ' highly regarded'..

I think I will spew up.

congorozides
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 1:22am
Linton Lodger wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:53am How long have Tascone & Shoshack been in business for? So we have a marketing/media guy and a retailer, do they know how to run a footy club?
Currently you have the CEO of AV Jennings.
What would he know about a footy club?
Please report AV Jennings financial results whilst he has been CEO, on the surface he knows nothing about business as well!
Last year we had Finnis, Bains and Jamie Cox running the football club.
A lawyer, another lawyer and a cricketer!

Spot on.
AV Jennings profit down 12.7% last year.
FInnis and Bains are AFl boys club drones. Absolute s*** kickers and empty suits.
Jamie Cox. WTF?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 2:38am
Please report AV Jennings financial results whilst he has been CEO, on the surface he knows nothing about business as well!

Spot on.
AV Jennings profit down 12.7% last year.
FInnis and Bains are AFl boys club drones. Absolute s*** kickers and empty suits.
Jamie Cox. WTF?

I think I am starting to agree with you and that is a worry in itself.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

stonecold wrote: Mon 14 May 2018 1:27pm Dean Grieg has labelled Richo the worst coach in the AFL today, supported by Chicken Nixon and another old St.Kilda hardman/ruckman who's name escapes me at the minute!!!!! ;)
Wayne Thornborrow ??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:22pm
stonecold wrote: Mon 14 May 2018 1:27pm Dean Grieg has labelled Richo the worst coach in the AFL today, supported by Chicken Nixon and another old St.Kilda hardman/ruckman who's name escapes me at the minute!!!!! ;)
Wayne Thornborrow ??
Michael Rix?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:22pm
Wayne Thornborrow ??
No. It was Vidovic.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

It wasn't my intention to be condescending about marketing and retail and I don't doubt their passion for the Saints. However, Footy Clubs are not typical businesses, they are complex and transient. After the 'Footy First' clowns, we need to be cautious.

A look at Shosack's Twitter reveals that the 'messaging' has started, he is definitely considering a move. Some of that messaging is filtering through to Forums, either coincidentally or strategically (I'm not suggesting that you're part of that).

In regards to the current incumbents, construction and development is a tough businesses. Finnis was a Union Boss and of a rare Union that actually gets good outcomes for its members. I'm I expected to believe that the AFL players chose an AFL stooge to represent them. Agreed on Cox, I've always found it strange that we have a Cricketer in such a senior footy position.

The current incumbents have secured a better stadium deal and on the back of 6 seasons (going on 7) out of the Finals, we have record membership numbers. I agree that the extension of Richo's contract was generous and perhaps premature. However, after our 2016 season and then that peak against Richmond, it appeared we were flying and going places.

I am not taking a firm position on the Board or the Coach either way, I don't know enough, although it is appropriate that the Coach comes under scrutiny.

If someone thinks they can do better then I want to hear their specific criticisms of the current incumbents and I'd expect them to have a clear and detailed plan on the table. Tell us why change is needed and how they can do better.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

By all accounts, Lethlean is a good operator and highly regarded in AFL circles. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out and what his current role is.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigred
Saintsational Legend

As I said earlier people in the know reckon this guy loves the Saints and is super smart tough and connected and respected in footy world.
Don’t shoot the messenger as this forum tends to do and be so negative, only passing on what I heard.
Uninformed stereotyping?

In what way, shape or form are these guys qualified to run a football club?

This just screams like some bloke that has some money in his pocket and can see a way to use the club to their own benefit.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
asiu
Saintsational Legend

"A look at Shosack's Twitter reveals that the 'messaging' has started, he is definitely considering a move. Some of that messaging is filtering through to Forums, either coincidentally or strategically (I'm not suggesting that you're part of that)."

i'll suggest it !

in fact i'd put my last $ on it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 5:26pm
Uninformed stereotyping?

In what way, shape or form are these guys qualified to run a football club?

This just screams like some bloke that has some money in his pocket and can see a way to use the club to their own benefit.
I agree with your comments, so plus one.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Membership is up isn't it?

We're moving to Moorabbin?

Financially, we're shuffling forward.

We're up the AFL's arse.

We haven't had any off-field s*** go down in a while.

Aside from having a deadset pod as a coach, and aside from the fact that we foolishly extended his reign of utter shitness - surely we're not going into old school Saints 'spill the board' territory are we?

David-Lee
Club Player

This is exactly why our sport often suffers.
Compared to global juggernauts like USA sport, EPL as n European soccer.
We assemble business people who are fans to run the club. These global sporting clubs are owned by a billionaire who hires the most experienced board ( professional sports managers etc) who then managed club affairs.

Getting people based on their love of the club is bulls!t.
Give me a ruthless s.o.b. who knows how to monopolize the market and destroy competitors.

This board is pathetic. How can I say this? PURE EVIDENCE.

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW. They showed tight ass minimal mundane efforts and reaped a safe bottomed out coaching staff and feeble acting players.

Great people dont make rubbish they produce greatness.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 9:32pm Membership is up isn't it?

We're moving to Moorabbin?

Financially, we're shuffling forward.

We're up the AFL's arse.

We haven't had any off-field s*** go down in a while.

Aside from having a deadset pod as a coach, and aside from the fact that we foolishly extended his reign of utter shitness - surely we're not going into old school Saints 'spill the board' territory are we?
You won't be back for long if you if you post s*** like that.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 9:33pm This is exactly why our sport often suffers.
We assemble business people who are fans to run the club. These global sporting clubs are owned by a billionaire who hires the most experienced board ( professional sports managers etc)
A board doesn't run a business though.

The board sets the business strategy, and employs the right people to carry it out.

A proper board never tells the cobblers how to cobble.

They merely ensure that the cobblers deliver on the cobbling that they're employed to do.

David-Lee
Club Player

Tis evident I doth submit mine reply repeatedly thusly exposing I sucketh at this new forum

David-Lee
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 9:40pm
David-Lee wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 9:33pm This is exactly why our sport often suffers.
We assemble business people who are fans to run the club. These global sporting clubs are owned by a billionaire who hires the most experienced board ( professional sports managers etc)

The board sets the business strategy, and employs the right people to carry it out.

They merely ensure that the cobblers deliver on the cobbling that they're employed to do.

A board governs. They dictate the vision ( in business this is the future position of the organisation) and mission ( defines the clubs business, its objectives and its approach to reach those objectives. They preside over the hiring of senior management ( inclusive of a CEO) and ensure those they hire can fulfill the strategic plan laid out.

The manager, football director and head coach devise sub strategy that will achieve the goals within the strategic plan.

The board is by far the most essential element of our club.
Next is the head coach (but only because we dont have a director of football). The coach creates the culture of success in the minds of the players.

Our biggest problem is we need to get a significant effort started to develop our core values as a club. It's not loyalty or another bs tagline, nor a motto.

The core values define the enduring character of an organisation – a constant “identity” that transcends program operations, management styles and individual leaders. The organisation may develop new purposes, employ new strategies, re-engineer processes and significantly restructure, but the core values stay the same. The core values hold an organisation together over time.

This is what we lack and it's why we arent successful consistently.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 9:44pm Tis evident I doth submit mine reply repeatedly thusly exposing I sucketh at this new forum
Sorry David-Lee. Not your fault. Glitch with the re-load and we are trying to fix it.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 10:02pm
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 9:40pm

A board governs. They dictate the vision ( in business this is the future position of the organisation) and mission ( defines the clubs business, its objectives and its approach to reach those objectives. They preside over the hiring of senior management ( inclusive of a CEO) and ensure those they hire can fulfill the strategic plan laid out.

The manager, football director and head coach devise sub strategy that will achieve the goals within the strategic plan.

The board is by far the most essential element of our club.
Next is the head coach (but only because we dont have a director of football). The coach creates the culture of success in the minds of the players.

Our biggest problem is we need to get a significant effort started to develop our core values as a club. It's not loyalty or another bs tagline, nor a motto.

The core values define the enduring character of an organisation – a constant “identity” that transcends program operations, management styles and individual leaders. The organisation may develop new purposes, employ new strategies, re-engineer processes and significantly restructure, but the core values stay the same. The core values hold an organisation together over time.

This is what we lack and it's why we arent successful consistently.

Really?

Firstly, we aren't a club. There's no such thing.

We are a revenue stream for the AFL. There are no clubs anymore. That s*** died years ago.

Why supporters even bother with the whole 'my club is big' thing is simply beyond me.

The AFL runs the show. Full stop.

We, the fans, are merely customers who either attend games or watch on TV. Nothing more.

Just enjoy the product man.

Whomever sits in the boardroom is irrelevant.

Our key people have been appointed by the AFL anyway.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree Jaxons clean out all levels needed
Yep 5-6 years we've stayed the course with these turkeys with zip
That's not old st Kilda - that's reality
Time to change , get in quality and be genuinely ruthless as an administration and footy team again
'Pleasing days of SUmmers' surely over

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 19 May 2018 12:23am Agree Jaxons clean out all levels needed
Time to change , get in quality and be genuinely ruthless as an administration and footy team again
I just think that what's happening on field needs to be separated from what's happening off field.

A 'ruthless' board can be easily confused with a 'reckless' one.

I wouldn't say I'm defending the current board as such, but didn't they map out a pretty reasonable and solid off-field plan?

Membership record, redevelopment of Moorabbin, changing the ratbag/unprofessional culture, better sponsorship etc.?

I don't have an issue with any of that plan.

And unless I'm totally wrong (which I could be) the club has achieved that stuff.

It's the other stuff that hasn't been achieved. The on-field stuff.

Now if the Board sit on their hands and don't act on the gross failures from the guys in charge of the on-field stuff, then as a Board they'd be negligent.

And that's really the only reason a Board gets tossed. But I think it's way too early to accuse them of sitting on their hands. I'd even forgive them if they don't sack Richardson at all this year (I'd hope that they do though FWIW). But at year's end, when everyone is watching the Grand Final and is distracted, they need to come up with some bulls*** about a review and that they've mutually agreed that he had to move on.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sat 19 May 2018 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 19 May 2018 12:23am Agree Jaxons clean out all levels needed
I agree the Football Dept & Coaches needs a huge shake up and has for sometime and if the CEO & Board havent identified that they need a rocket too.