Saints chasing big names

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints chasing big names

Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 11:08am
Cairnsman wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 10:55am
Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 10:47am
Cairnsman wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:12am
Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 12:43am
Cairnsman wrote: Thu 10 Jan 2019 3:24pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 10 Jan 2019 11:53am The burley we've been using to try and land a big fish has not worked so far.
We don't look like being contenders anytime soon so perhaps the marketing spiel needs to change
The message to ooc players might be that the Saints are a team who has to rebuild and they are looking for young stars who want to be part of a new leadership group. Hopefully that may attract a big name or two.
You really don't rate DH do you.
Right now I don't, but back when he was in AA form he was one of my favourite opposition players. I really admired his work ethic and his guts and determination. I used to get my son to watch his games (to try and emulate his running patterns and his commitment at every contest) because I thought he was one of the hardest working midfielders going around from about 2010 up to probably 2017.

I really do hope he can recapture that form, and that burst outside speed he used to have but from what I witnessed this year I think it's highly unlikely.

I also think we need to rebuild and we are 4 years away from challenging for a top 4 position and at least 2 years away from making finals. I think he was the wrong choice as a player for where the team sits right now. If it's all about on field leadership and training standards, then what the hell was going on under the current head coach and the previous footy leadership in the last 5 years. A lot more people needed the sack if we were dead set looking for a defacto captain coach
You are very much confusing two issues. Coaching performance and player leadership. They are linked but not in the way you believe. The leadership gap the club is trying to bridge is related to those short periods in a game when the opposition takes the game away from us. Many times in 2018 it was the last 5 minutes of a quarter.

You are throwing the baby out with the bath water with the sack everyone mentality. Not all is as bad as it seems. Stop jumping at shadows and learn to relax.
So you're blaming the players for the season we just had, yeah?

Show me which games in 2018 where we lost games because of these 5 minute periods at end of quarters you speak of

I'm betting you're not going to. I'm betting we lost games mainly because of poor starts; terrible middle periods in quarters; some lapses in the last 5 minutes of a handful of quarters where the game was already lost; and overall horrendous fundamental basics of football which falls back on coaching.

The strategies and gameplan of our head coach where so bad that the players had to speak up and make changes. Most people agree that training standards, skills, player development and team selection needs improving and all of these are directly related to Richo aren't they? Or...should Richo be given more time to show us he can improve on his 33% win loss ratio?
What is with the angry obsession in having to BLAME?

Geez I hope you go easy on your son and his footy.

I'm sitting on a dunny in a remote office at the moment so I can't access my footy spreadsheets to give you stats but one game I can think of off the top of my scon is the Bulldogs game where we were in control and they went bang in the last 4 to 5 mins of the 2nd. It was a pattern that was noticable to those who aren't blinded with anger and irrational and emotive thoughts processes.
Games aren't finished at the end of the second quarter.
I remember the game and we were close enough at half time for the game to still be up for grabs.

Not sure why you think that it is ok for a team to capitulate in the second half just because the other team got some momentum and we surrendered the lead. The weakness and lack of fight shows some serious leadership issues. If the coach isn't the most important football department leader, I'd like to know who is?
Is it just me or is there an echo in here...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 11:12am Cairmsman

The 'go easy' approach doesn't appeal to me.

Probably more suited to Richo
All good bud I just care about you my fellow Saint, dont blow a poopa valve over a sport that's meant for entertainment, and also remember there are other people that care as much as you do, some even work at the club, (insert winking emoji here).

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 12:48pm 2018 all over again...every thread turns into an Alan thread from the usual suspects.
Agree, 2018 all over again.
Ted spinning s*** and people being sucked in and responding.

Throw us another generic gem Teddysainter, perhaps one that doesn’t apply to all 18 clubs and that is more specific.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Yep, 2018 all over again. Joffa keeps stalking Ted like a school yard bully boy...then has nothing original to offer the forum like the SS.net mature aged online gang on here. Lol!

78 replies and my first topic for 2019 has only been active for 48 hours. Ted brings discussion to this forum whether you like it or not.
Last edited by tedtheodorelogan2018 on Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

does anyone really take notice of his threads or posts for that matter ?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Yep. 80 posts in this thread including yours since late Wed night. Thanks for upping the total Firey. 👍

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 12:48pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 10 Jan 2019 11:53am The burley we've been using to try and land a big fish has not worked so far.
We don't look like being contenders anytime soon so perhaps the marketing spiel needs to change
The message to ooc players might be that the Saints are a team who has to rebuild and they are looking for young stars who want to be part of a new leadership group. Hopefully that may attract a big name or two.
Right now I don't, but back when he was in AA form he was one of my favourite opposition players. I really admired his work ethic and his guts and determination. I used to get my son to watch his games (to try and emulate his running patterns and his commitment at every contest) because I thought he was one of the hardest working midfielders going around from about 2010 up to probably 2017.

I really do hope he can recapture that form, and that burst outside speed he used to have but from what I witnessed this year I think it's highly unlikely.

I also think we need to rebuild and we are 4 years away from challenging for a top 4 position and at least 2 years away from making finals. I think he was the wrong choice as a player for where the team sits right now. If it's all about on field leadership and training standards, then what the hell was going on under the current head coach and the previous footy leadership in the last 5 years. A lot more people needed the sack if we were dead set looking for a defacto captain coach
You are very much confusing two issues. Coaching performance and player leadership. They are linked but not in the way you believe. The leadership gap the club is trying to bridge is related to those short periods in a game when the opposition takes the game away from us. Many times in 2018 it was the last 5 minutes of a quarter.

You are throwing the baby out with the bath water with the sack everyone mentality. Not all is as bad as it seems. Stop jumping at shadows and learn to relax.

Show me which games in 2018 where we lost games because of these 5 minute periods at end of quarters you speak of

I'm betting you're not going to. I'm betting we lost games mainly because of poor starts; terrible middle periods in quarters; some lapses in the last 5 minutes of a handful of quarters where the game was already lost; and overall horrendous fundamental basics of football which falls back on coaching.

The strategies and gameplan of our head coach where so bad that the players had to speak up and make changes. Most people agree that training standards, skills, player development and team selection needs improving and all of these are directly related to Richo aren't they? Or...should Richo be given more time to show us he can improve on his 33% win loss ratio?

I'm sitting on a dunny in a remote office at the moment so I can't access my footy spreadsheets to give you stats but one game I can think of off the top of my scon is the Bulldogs game where we were in control and they went bang in the last 4 to 5 mins of the 2nd. It was a pattern that was noticable to those who aren't blinded with anger and irrational and emotive thoughts processes.
I remember the game and we were close enough at half time for the game to still be up for grabs.

Not sure why you think that it is ok for a team to capitulate in the second half just because the other team got some momentum and we surrendered the lead. The weakness and lack of fight shows some serious leadership issues. If the coach isn't the most important football department leader, I'd like to know who is?
Are you still in that dunny?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:23pm

Just curious, when you're coaching your Son do you instruct him to look for blame when things don't go his way or if a mistake is made, you seem obsessed with blame. Your Son must be tense on the football field, I bet he enjoys playing when you're not watching.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Think you should stick to caring about things Saints related.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:30pm

Just curious, when you're coaching your Son do you instruct him to look for blame when things don't go his way or if a mistake is made, you seem obsessed with blame. Your Son must be tense on the football field, I bet he enjoys playing when you're not watching.
Really poor stuff from you mate.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:10pm Yep. 80 posts in this thread including yours since late Wed night. Thanks for upping the total Firey. 👍
Counting posts...the hallmark of a winner.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 12:31pm Some people just can't drive. They have no drive. They could be given a ferrari and they'd still consistently finish in the last 25%. Ask yourself this; how would you go with the right training and apprenticeship if you you were the driver?

If the answer is that you wouldn't be suited to driving and that you'd be more suited to the role of engineer or support staff, then maybe that's where the analogy is similar to how I see Richo. Maybe initially Richo thought he'd give senior coaching a crack but he decided after failing in a few interviews that he wasn't suited. Didn't we offer him the job after he told us he wasn't interseted?
We really need to do the study (I can't be bothered; and as I said my gut feeling is that the study will show that coaching changes have not imporoved our team on most occasions,and in fact, may have impacted us negatively, more often than not).
But anyway, Re: the driving analogy ...
Richo did well enough in 2016 and 2017, driving the old ute, to warrant a contract extension.

In 2016, Richo drove like a champion - you were as surprised as I was, with the turnaround in our team's performance.
When wheels fell off in 2018 - and on a difficult track, he still managed to finish ahead of 2 cars ( this is if we believe and subscribe to all the hoopla that attributes all the team's success and failure on the coach - which, as you know, I don't).
Last edited by samoht on Fri 11 Jan 2019 2:14pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:44pm
Cairnsman wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:30pm

Really poor stuff from you mate.
How so?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:01pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 12:48pm 2018 all over again...every thread turns into an Alan thread from the usual suspects.

Throw us another generic gem Teddysainter, perhaps one that doesn’t apply to all 18 clubs and that is more specific.
Todays afl.com.au headline: "Cashed-up Swans can pursue big fish, says Ireland". Obviously stole our plan, dammit!

takeaway
Club Player

degruch wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 2:04pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:01pm

Todays afl.com.au headline: "Cashed-up Swans can pursue big fish, says Ireland". Obviously stole our plan, dammit!
Nah, Swans have just worked out they have enough money in the cap. Saints are much further advanced in their plans, have had 3 years practice, fish are almost in the pool.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 2:03pm
We really need to do the study (I can't be bothered; and as I said my gut feeling is that the study will show that coaching changes have not imporoved our team on most occasions,and in fact, may have impacted us negatively, more often than not).
You really think a W/L rate after changes of coach 100, 50 or even 10 years ago has any relevance to whether or not we should retain or replace richo?

What a pointless exercise and point you are trying to push.

Last 10 coaches…

Our W/L improved with Baldock, Davis, Sheldon, Thomas, Lyon

Our W/L went down with Alves, Watson, Blight, Watters, Richardson

And who cares, it has zero relevance to our current situation.
Last edited by dragit on Fri 11 Jan 2019 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:07pm Yep, 2018 all over again. Joffa keeps stalking Ted like a school yard bully boy...then has nothing original to offer the forum like the SS.net mature aged online gang on here. Lol!

78 replies and my first topic for 2019 has only been active for 48 hours. Ted brings discussion to this forum whether you like it or not.
Wow, referring to yourself in the third person......winning....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ok Samoht
I get that changing a coach IS disruptive
That's a given
But what the study can't factor is the result of keeping a bad coach at a team that CAN and should do better than it is
Do you follow NFL ?
I give you Matt Nagy at Chicago bears

Seeya
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

sunsaint wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 2:28pm Ok Samoht
I get that changing a coach IS disruptive
That's a given
But what the study can't factor is the result of keeping a bad coach at a team that CAN and should do better than it is
Do you follow NFL ?
I give you Matt Nagy at Chicago bears

We've sacked so many coaches ... coach after coach.
Whenever we've replaced a coach, we would have aimed to improve with their replacement, on each occasion. My gut feeling is, it's mostly backfired - and we we either went backwards or it had no impact, most of the time.
Otherwise we would have already got to a successful supercoach by now - by constantly improving coach by coach (by progressively/successively replacing coaches with better ones, each time).

There are a lot of factors at play ....
We did okay in 2016 and 2017 --- won 50% of our games - and I'm not attributing it entirely to the coach. The coach was given a contract extension, on the back of this.
We turned over 34 players and had a difficult draw, in 2018 - and only had 4 wins - and I'm again not blaming the 4 measly wins on the coach - i.e., that it's all the coach's fault.
There are always bigger factors at play - and other areas that we need to improve in, that will make a bigger impact.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 11 Jan 2019 3:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

satchmo wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:47am
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Thu 10 Jan 2019 8:39pm Aiden Bonar ?
Moist.
Going hard for Bonar

Is that what you're hearing Ted ?

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The quote button needs to be banned from this site. Its turning it into s***.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 3:23pm
Moist.
Going hard for Bonar

In his dreams

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

satchmo wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 5:42pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 3:23pm
Moist.
Going hard for Bonar

In his dreams
Wet

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
happy feet
Club Player

degruch wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 2:03pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 11 Jan 2019 1:10pm Yep. 80 posts in this thread including yours since late Wed night. Thanks for upping the total Firey. 👍
Counting posts...the hallmark of a winner.
Like flies all over a fresh Ted turd.

Shyte post with no purpose other than ‘look at me’.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

So glad we are chasing dem big fish again.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....