COFFIELD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: COFFIELD

Looked disinterested. Very few second efforts.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

moves a lot like Lenny but his work rate is not up to AFL standard

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I wonder if he is carrying a slight something? His first game at Sandy he had a few good touches but looked slower than I recalled. The game today was worse, he seemed unable to side step, jump, or accelerate. He has the speed and skill so makes me wonder if he has an injury? Anyone know?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Very sad effort today.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 5:09pmWow - surprised by this double down.

While early drafted forwards are more of a bust than mids, they are much much much better than latter drafted forwards. Franklin, Kennedy, Roughead, Riewoldt, Daniher, Hogan. In fact, it is very rare choosing an elite forward late.

Speculation is watching 1 game and making a sweeping assessment. Quite juvenile in fact. And interesting that you think a player taken at 4 wouldn't have gone earlier if healthy and a full season at U18 level under him. How was his year as a 17yo? How about as a 16yo?

And calling a ruptured ACL 'horrific' is ridiculous. Players get injured all the time and a knee is very common and fixable.

With King I don't feel like we reached. We went best player at 4. McCartin, maybe the opposite, we went best player and need. That's how i read it. They way it's transpiring, taking King could be the most inspired decision of them all and I was one wanting a mid during the 2018 draft as well.
King's injury was more than just his ACL. I don't know the specifics but I have been told by someone who works at an AFL club that their recruiters rated him as the most talented player in the draft but would be concerned about taking him early due to his injury.

You named most of the best forwards taken in the first round of the draft since 2000. Then there's also Andrew McDougall, Laurence Angwin, Tim Walsh, Nick Smith (Melb), Fergus Watts, Llane Spaanderman, Billy Morrison, Ryan Willits, Beau Dowler, Scott Gumbleton, Mitch Thorp, James Sellar, Jarrad Grant, Tyrone Vickery, Ayce Cordy, John Butcher, Kristian Jaksch, Michael Apeness and Paddy McCartin who have all been first-round busts, while Jack Watts, Jonathon Patton, Tom Boyd and Josh Schache have hardly been great value either.

Ben Brown pick 47
Jack Darling pick 26
Tom McDonald pick 53
Josh Jenkins rookie draft pick 12
Tim Membrey pick 46
Mason Cox rookie draft pick 60
Justin Westhoff pick 71
Mason Wood pick 41
Taylor Walker pick 75
Cale Hooker pick 54
Drew Petrie pick 23
Kurt Tippett pick 32
James Podsiadly pick 58

Key forward can be acquired in other methods than first round draft picks. I just don't see the need to take the risk on players who have a very high bust rate and also have serious injury concerns when there are elite, healthy prospects available who also fill a need for us.

As for junior form, clearly the under 18s year is the most important. Every year there are guys who are tipped to go first round and then end up stagnating and going much later in the draft or not going at all. Yes, King was tracking to be in the top handful of picks. But he got a very bad injury and then didn't have the chance to show that he would keep up at the level, or cope with other opponents who had the size to go with him.

My point is that I don't think we should be speculating with our picks and taking another high risk key forward when we so urgently need elite ability all over the ground.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:45am
Spinner wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 5:09pmWow - surprised by this double down.

While early drafted forwards are more of a bust than mids, they are much much much better than latter drafted forwards. Franklin, Kennedy, Roughead, Riewoldt, Daniher, Hogan. In fact, it is very rare choosing an elite forward late.

Speculation is watching 1 game and making a sweeping assessment. Quite juvenile in fact. And interesting that you think a player taken at 4 wouldn't have gone earlier if healthy and a full season at U18 level under him. How was his year as a 17yo? How about as a 16yo?

And calling a ruptured ACL 'horrific' is ridiculous. Players get injured all the time and a knee is very common and fixable.

With King I don't feel like we reached. We went best player at 4. McCartin, maybe the opposite, we went best player and need. That's how i read it. They way it's transpiring, taking King could be the most inspired decision of them all and I was one wanting a mid during the 2018 draft as well.
King's injury was more than just his ACL. I don't know the specifics but I have been told by someone who works at an AFL club that their recruiters rated him as the most talented player in the draft but would be concerned about taking him early due to his injury.

You named most of the best forwards taken in the first round of the draft since 2000. Then there's also Andrew McDougall, Laurence Angwin, Tim Walsh, Nick Smith (Melb), Fergus Watts, Llane Spaanderman, Billy Morrison, Ryan Willits, Beau Dowler, Scott Gumbleton, Mitch Thorp, James Sellar, Jarrad Grant, Tyrone Vickery, Ayce Cordy, John Butcher, Kristian Jaksch, Michael Apeness and Paddy McCartin who have all been first-round busts, while Jack Watts, Jonathon Patton, Tom Boyd and Josh Schache have hardly been great value either.

Ben Brown pick 47
Jack Darling pick 26
Tom McDonald pick 53
Josh Jenkins rookie draft pick 12
Tim Membrey pick 46
Mason Cox rookie draft pick 60
Justin Westhoff pick 71
Mason Wood pick 41
Taylor Walker pick 75
Cale Hooker pick 54
Drew Petrie pick 23
Kurt Tippett pick 32
James Podsiadly pick 58

Key forward can be acquired in other methods than first round draft picks. I just don't see the need to take the risk on players who have a very high bust rate and also have serious injury concerns when there are elite, healthy prospects available who also fill a need for us.

As for junior form, clearly the under 18s year is the most important. Every year there are guys who are tipped to go first round and then end up stagnating and going much later in the draft or not going at all. Yes, King was tracking to be in the top handful of picks. But he got a very bad injury and then didn't have the chance to show that he would keep up at the level, or cope with other opponents who had the size to go with him.

My point is that I don't think we should be speculating with our picks and taking another high risk key forward when we so urgently need elite ability all over the ground.
Without wasting too much breath.

Thanks for posting that list of late 'forwards' that did make it. Full of middle range players, and no absolute stars outside of Walker and Brown. The fact you've even mentioned Mason Wood discredits the whole post. And most of that list isnt even their team's number 1 forward... Membrey, McDonald, Jenkins, Westoff (is he a forward or a utility?) and Darling all get the second best defender over the majority of their careers to date.

Secondly, it wasnt speculation. Your recruiter insider ranked King at number 1... so not sure how you're still fixated on speculation. Pick 4 is very different to pick 1...

You seem to want to have absolutely no risk in any player you select. There's no such thing. If you overlooked King because of injury, you compromised on talent.

Rozee did stuff all this week. If it was week to week you wouldnt recruit him. So lets let King play a game, let alone a season before writing him off.