Bruce Requests trade to Dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Bruce Requests trade to Dogs

Laurie wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 4:52am
But hey thats St.Kilda .
I don't think a single person that is making these decisions has been at St Kilda for more than a year or two have they?

If anything, it's very 'un-St Kilda'. These are not St Kilda decisions. These are decisions made by non-St Kilda people.

Maybe that's not a bad thing.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 8:10am
Spinner wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 2:26am
saintkid wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 9:19pm
asiu wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 8:42pm what else can we really say sk ?

he journeyed here from elsewhere
so being a one club man was never on the cards

he certainly played hard for us whilst he was here
... and he deserves our gratitude for that

he was a bit of a fave of mine
... maybe thats why it stings a bit
Yes but he was still contracted, so the lure of more $$ is what has made him want to go. That's what makes it harder to accept. Still I'm no blaming Bruce exclusively for this decision.....the salary cap now imho is too excessive. If I had to pay $800K plus a year to a player on our list, I would rather Bruce get it instead of Hannebery or Billings. Bruce can still turn games and win them off his own boot. I doubt an injury prone Hanneberry in the twilight of his career will do that (we all know how hard it was for him just to get on the park this season) and as for Billings, he is a downhill skier, outside player who struggles to kick goals beyond 35m. Bruce will be a loss as he has physical presence, covers a bit of ground for his size and has shown how damaging he can be in the air. The Western Bulldogs and Beveridge aren't stupid to have offered him a more lucrative contract.

Sorry but Billing’s best is a lot better than Bruce’s best.

And at least Hannebery’s best is AA quality - injury only limiting him.

At no stage has Bruce shown any signs of being at that level so you are just severely overpaying a tall forward for no reason at all. At his age it’s unlikely he’ll reach improve further.

Hard working, tough, competitive player. But if you make him close to the highest paid on our list - they’ll be issues elsewhere.

Better off with kids in the forward line in that scenario.
Sorry but I don't agree with you about Billings' best being better. Billings is rarely damaging in games that need to be won and regularly waits to receive the contested ball. He is not a ball winner or a goal kicker. As for Hannebery, 'injury only'? Well, that is still a huge factor for someone who struggled in the latter part of his Swans career, could only string a few games together this year and is turning 29 in February.

We were better off with a kid in the midfield too in that scenario, as you put it. Stupid decision to recruit Hannebury on a 5 year contract at $800K plus, after all the injury concerns he had at the Swans. I'd rather Bruce on the list that Hannebury any day.
You do realise Billings’ role isn’t to be a contested ball winner yeah?

It’s like me saying Bruce doesn’t get enough spoils.

Regardless, Billings has much more scope than Bruce. Probably one of our most promising players, still relatively young and much much more valuable than a second round draft pick which is what Bruce is likely to fetch.

Not really an argument really.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 6:54am FYI. Josh was not one of the more popular members of the playing group. I’m sorry I’m not going to further expand on that but just trying to give you some reason for his movement.
Thanks tony.

Anyone else have anything further? Seems like Bruce appeared very popular a while ago but just not now? Just a guess.

saintkid
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 8:45am
saintkid wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 8:10am
Spinner wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 2:26am
saintkid wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 9:19pm
asiu wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 8:42pm what else can we really say sk ?

he journeyed here from elsewhere
so being a one club man was never on the cards

he certainly played hard for us whilst he was here
... and he deserves our gratitude for that

he was a bit of a fave of mine
... maybe thats why it stings a bit
Yes but he was still contracted, so the lure of more $$ is what has made him want to go. That's what makes it harder to accept. Still I'm no blaming Bruce exclusively for this decision.....the salary cap now imho is too excessive. If I had to pay $800K plus a year to a player on our list, I would rather Bruce get it instead of Hannebery or Billings. Bruce can still turn games and win them off his own boot. I doubt an injury prone Hanneberry in the twilight of his career will do that (we all know how hard it was for him just to get on the park this season) and as for Billings, he is a downhill skier, outside player who struggles to kick goals beyond 35m. Bruce will be a loss as he has physical presence, covers a bit of ground for his size and has shown how damaging he can be in the air. The Western Bulldogs and Beveridge aren't stupid to have offered him a more lucrative contract.

Sorry but Billing’s best is a lot better than Bruce’s best.

And at least Hannebery’s best is AA quality - injury only limiting him.

At no stage has Bruce shown any signs of being at that level so you are just severely overpaying a tall forward for no reason at all. At his age it’s unlikely he’ll reach improve further.

Hard working, tough, competitive player. But if you make him close to the highest paid on our list - they’ll be issues elsewhere.

Better off with kids in the forward line in that scenario.
Sorry but I don't agree with you about Billings' best being better. Billings is rarely damaging in games that need to be won and regularly waits to receive the contested ball. He is not a ball winner or a goal kicker. As for Hannebery, 'injury only'? Well, that is still a huge factor for someone who struggled in the latter part of his Swans career, could only string a few games together this year and is turning 29 in February.

We were better off with a kid in the midfield too in that scenario, as you put it. Stupid decision to recruit Hannebury on a 5 year contract at $800K plus, after all the injury concerns he had at the Swans. I'd rather Bruce on the list that Hannebury any day.
You do realise Billings’ role isn’t to be a contested ball winner yeah?

It’s like me saying Bruce doesn’t get enough spoils.

Regardless, Billings has much more scope than Bruce. Probably one of our most promising players, still relatively young and much much more valuable than a second round draft pick which is what Bruce is likely to fetch.

Not really an argument really.
Just a solid point of view and not an argument. Regardless of his role, he should have some contested ball ability but he rarely does win his own ball and he is not damaging on the scoreboard. My point is Billings influences games considerably less than Bruce. As it is, we have very few tall players that possess the skill to dominate in the air. More pressure on Membrey now, who is a strong mark but undersized. Great forward planning.

As for those that have placed hopes again on McCartin, well good luck. He is about to enter his 5th year and has managed to string together 30 odd games. A tremendous amount of pressure will be placed on the lightly framed King if Bruce goes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 8:37am
But hey thats St.Kilda .
I don't think a single person that is making these decisions has been at St Kilda for more than a year or two have they?

If anything, it's very 'un-St Kilda'. These are not St Kilda decisions. These are decisions made by non-St Kilda people.

Lol.

What ”St Kilda people”? They're not run like community clubs anymore; they are a commercial enterprises. I think you're about 15 years behind.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I liked his hair.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 6:54am FYI. Josh was not one of the more popular members of the playing group. I’m sorry I’m not going to further expand on that but just trying to give you some reason for his movement.
Can he play?
Is he destabilising the ream in some way?

It seems a strange way to make a trade decision.

I hear Paddy Ryder gets on with everyone.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BarryGrogan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 9:08am
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 8:37am
But hey thats St.Kilda .

Lol.

What ”St Kilda people”? They're not run like community clubs anymore; they are a commercial enterprises. I think you're about 15 years behind.
That's exactly my point.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 5:52am Well, there goes about 80% of the side's ticker. Bad outcome for the Saints. Should not have been considered as a trade. The mercenaries in charge continue to do as they please, more interested in their CV than the club, i often feel.
I have to disagree with the first part 'carn_sainter', look to players like Steele & Geary to possess most of the sides ticker, even Ross, Dunstan, Webster and Membrey. I watched Bruce stick his bum in the corner too often to be known as the "heart & soul", struck me more as a "look at me" not "follow me" kind of player.

Probably cannot argue about the second part but I do know it will be a worthless CV if it doesn't work so fingers crossed their CVs aren't worthless.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 8:28pm Happy with this. We won nothing with him playing at his best can’t see him improving.
I think we needed a different look. Bruce had two high quality years but went missing at other times. Comfortable about the deal;hoping though that we can extract a decent pick for a player who won a lot of contested marks. Bulldogs are keen so we need to extract the best possible deal

Laurie
Club Player

+1@saintkid
Billings is soft

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 11:52pm Membrey, Battle & King could end up working nicely. I assume the snake is staying.
I think they will. Looking forward to it

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Laurie wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:11am +1@saintkid
Billings is soft
Overrated

markp
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 9:39am
Can he play?

He never put the milk back in the fridge or washed his own coffee mug. Never.

I'm not going to divulge what he'd do with the sugar spoon.

Had to go.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

With respect and I understand that you have some “ credibility “ on this site , but this post is disgraceful

What you have done is come on here and slandered a much loved (by supporters ) saint, without supplying a hint of information just innuendo.

In many workplaces you would be the one considered toxic for spreading gossip and rumour.

It also screams of “look at me “ I am in the “know” and you are not.

If I ran the club and knew that you had said this it would be you out the door.

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 8:47am
Thanks tony.

Anyone else have anything further? Seems like Bruce appeared very popular a while ago but just not now? Just a guess.
What Tony said matches what I heard from someone else (Actually a Carlton supporter who had a connection with a Saints board member).
He said both Carlisle and Bruce were somewhat unpopular and would both be considered for trade.
At the time I could understand Carlisle but I thought Bruce was extremely popular (I'm not sure why, I think just based on post goal celebrations etc)

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:45am
With respect and I understand that you have some “ credibility “ on this site , but this post is disgraceful

What you have done is come on here and slandered a much loved (by supporters ) saint, without supplying a hint of information just innuendo.

In many workplaces you would be the one considered toxic for spreading gossip and rumour.

Fqf
Calm down Terry, it doesn't scream that at all. What Tony has shared is a pretty moderate, non emotive, statement about Josh. It's not slander to say someone is not particularly popular. No allegations are made about his behaviour or character. Have a bit of perspective.

Nee!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Will be good for the dogs,

Bontempelli, McRae, Dunkley, Hunter, Libba... he’ll have a nice midfield for delivery

Plus Naughton, Schache and Dale for support

If the get Keats they will be top 4 imo with a big chance of winning it

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Like you to have posted that before he requested trade T74

It’s only a good decision now it’s gonna happen

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:53am

Fqf
Calm down Terry, it doesn't scream that at all. What Tony has shared is a pretty moderate, non emotive, statement about Josh. It's not slander to say someone is not particularly popular. No allegations are made about his behaviour or character. Have a bit of perspective.
Agree. Bit OTT Terry. If Tony had gone into detail that would be different.

saintkid
Club Player

DownAtTheJunction wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:17am
Laurie wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:11am +1@saintkid
Billings is soft
Overrated
He sure is. We've watched him closely at games and he is definitely soft and overrated. No physical presence, no inspirational leadership play and regularly fails to nail goals from 35m or more out. Downhill skier when the team is going well.

Against Carlton,to see him and then see Cripps from the same draft, the footy ability difference was massive, regardless of the height/size difference. They sure have struck gold with Cripps. Can do pretty much anything on the ground and is fast becoming one of the top players in the comp and is probably in the top 3-4 already.

Billings still looks like a boy out there 6 years on and plays like one too. The fact that he and Hanneberry are on $800k plus each, as we try to build a team again going forward, is mind boggling.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Fqf
So what does the bit about “not going to expand on that” mean

No allegations but inferences , which was my point

Let me ask you this. If the trade does not go through, what happens to crap comments like yours and Tony’s

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

some things are best unsaid.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 9:39am
Can he play?

I think a very valid reason to move someone on is if they’re not buying in to the team culture. Don’t know the details of his ‘unpopularity’ but if Ratten et al are trying to build a particular culture within the entire club and someone is not willing that buy in, that would be a good reason to show them the door.
Someone else mentioned some unsavoury incident in the last pre-season involving Stuv and Bruce. Maybe that had something to do with it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 11:10am

Fqf
So what does the bit about “not going to expand on that” mean

No allegations but inferences , which was my point

Let me ask you this. If the trade does not go through, what happens to crap comments like yours and Tony’s
Terry, nothing happens. It’s an anonymous footy forum. Very much doubt anyone within the club gives a rat’s bum what gets said on here.