Young expects deal to St Kilda is almost done- to be lodged Tues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Young expects deal to St Kilda is almost done- to be lodged Tues

Interesting too how perceptions shift over the course of the week.

Last week pick 6 was regarded as a fair price for Hill. Now the Dockers ''obviously'' want more than pick 10.
Same with Howard. Early last week we were "who is Howard", now he's a first round pick.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:31am
BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:25am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:46am
longtimesaint wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 7:53am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:22am
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 11:33pm Well if all 5 land tomorrow as predicted it will be happy days.
Not if we trade Acres.
On the Trade show on Foxtel yesterday John Ralph said he had spoken to The manager of Acres and he was staying..
I am so relieved to hear that, I know he's frustrated many supporters with teasing us with his potential and glimpses of A grade but I'm too invested now to give up and I am willing to hang on for a couple more years and risk losing his trade value.
I have never seen a impse of A-Grade from Acres.

I reckon us Saints fans have forgotten what A-Grade actaully looks like.
Absolutely.

I recall supporters being astonished with Hind’s delivery into the forward line this year, which was excellent but is really football 101. We even get excited when we just get the basics right.
We got the basics right 9 times this year, so with Hill and Zac in the side and hopefully Hannebery coming good, all of sudden someone like Blake could get better. We know this is how improvement works and why I'm keeping invested for the short term. I'll need some serious ROI though by round 6 in 2020 or all emotional stocks could be swiftly pulled.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:51am

In an even draft, picks six, 10 and a high future pick would be a great result for the Dockers
Don't GWS have pick 6 now?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 10:44am
st.byron wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:51am

In an even draft, picks six, 10 and a high future pick would be a great result for the Dockers
Don't GWS have pick 6 now?
Yes they do. Not sure how that happened Barry but I didn't actually write what you've quoted above.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: Young expects deal to st Kilda is almost done- to be lodged Tues

Leo.J wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:32am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 9:56pm
damienc wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 7:48pm
Laurie wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 7:25pm Definately overs.
One player will not change our side much at all as need other A graders to also come in to really have an impact.
Losing Bruce is going to hurt our side and good luck to the doggies on a good pick up
Disagree. He will make a huge difference. Hill runs all day and wills himself to the contest. He's an elite disposer of the footy so no more bombs into the forward line.

He will find a target and deliver it laser like.

Finally, He is in the minds of some former coaches and players the best wingman in the AFL.

This is a great boost to our footy club. Get excited. You should.
I reckon Hill is a good player but we have pulled a another Hanners...desperate for more elite players....we are chasing a guy who statistically had his best year in 2019 and still only beats Billings in a just a few categories just....But Hill is the A grader we think is worth sooooo much

Yet, week in and out Saints on here bitchin about Billings yet Hill is not even as efficient NOR effective as Billings....that's a STATISTICAL FACT. So now what? Mega Hill bitch fest all 2020?
http://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/ ... ll-Bradley

https://m.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/D ... lings-Jack

Billings got alot of his footy deep in defence and took plenty of marks drifting back into defence. I think Hill will compliment that really well.
I agree but my point was so many people on this forum think Billings is average not a A grade yet he basically is the exact player plus a bit better statistically ( specifically in scoring he's way ahead). So how are we rating Hill a mini messiah without acknowledging Billings? Unless it grass is greener syndrome.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Hill’s running ability is elite, and stats don’t/can’t show that. Combine that with his other attributes and he’s an A grader based on his line breaking ability

Billings would be an A Grader if he was not a head case in front of goal. Billings sometimes breaks lines with his field kicking, but doesn’t have the ability to break lines with his speed or his endurance often enough to make him A Grade.

Imo stats don’t always demonstrate A Grade abilities. Imo an A grader is someone who effects or controls games on a weekly basis.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:Hill’s running ability is elite, and stats don’t/can’t show that. Combine that with his other attributes and he’s an A grader based on his line breaking ability

Billings would be an A Grader if he was not a head case in front of goal. Billings sometimes breaks lines with his field kicking, but doesn’t have the ability to break lines with his speed or his endurance often enough to make him A Grade.

Imo stats don’t always demonstrate A Grade abilities. Imo an A grader is someone who effects or controls games on a weekly basis.

Hill kicked 6 goals this year. Les than half of what Billings managed.

We are harsh on Billings. He beats Hill in nearly every regard, except meters gained.

He isn’t as quick, and doesn’t have the once or twice a game flashy run that Hill does.

Has Hill covered in Supercoach and AFL fantasy too. Think he got more Brownlow votes too.

People have built Hill up as someone who is going to come into the club and win 7 B&F’s in a row.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hill provides what we lack.

And it is not Hill vs Billings. It is Hill AND Billings.

Hill to pry apart teams with his running. Billings to do it with his kicking. Great combination.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:06pm
Leo.J wrote:Hill’s running ability is elite, and stats don’t/can’t show that. Combine that with his other attributes and he’s an A grader based on his line breaking ability

Hill kicked 6 goals this year. Les than half of what Billings managed.

We are harsh on Billings. He beats Hill in nearly every regard, except meters gained.

He isn’t as quick, and doesn’t have the once or twice a game flashy run that Hill does.

Has Hill covered in Supercoach and AFL fantasy too. Think he got more Brownlow votes too.

People have built Hill up as someone who is going to come into the club and win 7 B&F’s in a row.
It's the fit. It's the (glaring) deficiency. It's the vibe.

And, I'm with ya on JB - we mark him way too hard. I watched closely a lot this year, and noted how often he got back deep, and was often the last in the defensive line, saving the arses of others. Doesn't get a lot of kudos, such work, but it's just as valuable as the fancier work up the other end.

Even spent some of last year's membership merch coupon on a 3-D printed JB (as part of a 3 Jack's combo, so colleagues visiting for interstate game viewing, could view games with a Jack by their side on the bar.

I found it an excellent way to exploit 'new technology'.

The other 2 Jacks were Steele and Stuv. Colleagues found the Steele figurine tended to follow them round the bar, if they decided to move.

Those 3 were the only Jacks available at the time of purchase. They make more Jacks available, I'll load up - can't have too many Jacks. I'm already bullish on a Bytel addition.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:18pm Hill provides what we lack.

And it is not Hill vs Billings. It is Hill AND Billings.

Hill to pry apart teams with his running. Billings to do it with his kicking. Great combination.
Exactly. 2 Good wingers with different attributes. Hills gut running and spreading defences doesn't get a stat.
It will help other players by his selfless work and relentless run.

Nee!