Did St Kilda ever consider drafting Jack Riewoldt in 2006?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Did St Kilda ever consider drafting Jack Riewoldt in 2006?

Grant Thomas reply:
"Yes. He was available. I made sure Bevo had complete control over recruiting. Nevertheless I did ask him during a meeting why we were not taking Jack (was available at our pick). He said he felt it was detrimental to have both Riewoldt’s together. Never quite understood that."

We took David Armitage.

I suppose we had Gehrig and Koschitzke. But Gehrig was 31.

Poor call by Bevo.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did St Kilda ever consider drafting Jack Riewoldt in 2006?

Gershwin wrote: Mon 16 Dec 2019 9:00pm Grant Thomas reply:
"Yes. He was available. I made sure Bevo had complete control over recruiting. Nevertheless I did ask him during a meeting why we were not taking Jack (was available at our pick). He said he felt it was detrimental to have both Riewoldt’s together. Never quite understood that."

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.
Bevo had the best hand in the greatest draft of all time and f-cked up our picks #2 & #5 and we traded #17.
Get #2, #5 & #17 right and we'd have had a Geelong like dynasty.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 16 Dec 2019 10:12pm

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.
Bevo had the best hand in the greatest draft of all time and f-cked up our picks #2 & #5 and we traded #17.
It’s the real missed opportunity of our time isn’t it.

The one that I wonder about is Xavier Clarke though... what could he have been if he had been able to stay on the park? You watch him over the 04-05 years, nobody was complaining about him going at 5. Kid was a gun

Harves Man
Club Player

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.
Attrocious call by Bevo! This has been a real bugbear of mine for years - how on earth did we miss out on getting Jack! It's not like nobody at our club had ever heard this guy's name or had never heard of him as a player!

How could it possibly have been "detrimental to have both Riewoldt’s together" ? How on earth would that idiotic, utterly moronic thought even occur to someone?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 2:46am

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.
Attrocious call by Bevo! This has been a real bugbear of mine for years - how on earth did we miss out on getting Jack! It's not like nobody at our club had ever heard this guy's name or had never heard of him as a player!

How could it possibly have been "detrimental to have both Riewoldt’s together" ? How on earth would that idiotic, utterly moronic thought even occur to someone?
Maybe the Clarke experiment threw him?
Armo had a very good career and was worthy of his pick and hindsight is easy, but Jack alawys looked the goods and would have been under the eye due to the family connection.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Bevo should have had complete control over toilet cleaning.
And players using Paul Connors as their agent should have been fined at least 20-% of their salary.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Jack seemed like a loose cannon at the time and it always looked to me as if Rooey found him a bit of an embarrassment - which may have influenced Bevo.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 16 Dec 2019 10:12pm

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.
Yeah - 2 & 5 from the '01 draft were complete bombs in the end. Still - if Ross had've decided to let pick 2 step on the actual ground in the last 1/4 2009 GF, I think we'd still be lauding one as a premiership coach, and the other a premiership player. I will never understand how that happened. That last 1/4 was absolutely tailor made for pick 2.

As for trading pick 17 - I was never unhappy that we landed Heath Black for that pick and he was perfect for our young group of the time and complimented what we had. Remember the 02-06 period when we were feared and had enforcers on each line? Black (and Guerra and Powell and Lawrence and Hammil and Gehrig) was a huge part of that. I would've killed for any player like that over the past 6 years of Mr Bland Boring's reign. We could've drafted a spud at 17 and Heath Black was a very, very good player for us - albeit for a short period.

Much like pick 2, pick 17 ended up elsewhere thereafter for very little in return. I'd say that's management's fault; not the recruiters

Go you red, black & white warriors
spert
Saintsational Legend

I knew a couple of people associated with the list management of Geelong FC at the time, and remember discussing this- they thought STK were crazy for not going after Jack R.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hamish Ogilvie
Coach of Tas u18 at the time could not understand why Mitch Thorpe was rated by all recruiters ahead of Jack.
Thorpe was taller, a better athlete but Jack was simply a better footballer!

Jack had already won a TFL grand final at Clarence and kicked a bag in that game and he’d played VFL for the Tas Devils and had kicked goals there!

JB believed Jack did not have a position at AFL level believing he wasn’t big enough for KP or fast enough for a HF
JB did not even believe Jack would make it at elite level

It was a crazy recruiting decision. Bordering on incompetent!

On Xavier Clarke
Predicted to go at 14. Was talented but was he worth a top 5 pick at the time - No.

Luke Ball and Judd were line ball with Hodge.
I had us taking Judd at 2
With Hodge at 5
With Ball going at 1 and WC and Freo Taking Polak and Sampi at 3&4.
Imagine that!!!

Between Ball and Judd
Sure fire gun Ball vs potential superstar Judd
I’d have selected Ball in a toss of the coin.

Heath Black enforcer? I don’t think so?? He was an outside receiver and a head case!
He played 3 seasons and his output was ok, his off field lifestyle was questionable! He was mates with Gehrig and Lawrence and they were massive piss heads!
James Kelly went at that pick!!

Another was Pick 21

Stevie J was predicted to go around pick 20
We interviewed him on multiple occasions and were leaning that way
Decided to go with Goose who was predicted to go at 45 with that pick!

Stevie J went 4 picks later - too Geelong!

Obviously we got Dal and Joey very correct in 2001!

Overall Beveridge had a poor strike rate imo
Last edited by B.M on Tue 17 Dec 2019 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I am going to chip in here in defence of Bevo.

Whilst he had the final call, GT was in his ear.

Perhaps a slight bit of revisionist history by GT. Some shifting of blame?

At the time there was no question re Jack's marking or talent, but there were big question marks on Jack's athletic profile and attitude.

GT was desperate for a tough as nails inside midfielder to go with the silk of Dal, Joey, Goddard, Clarke x 2 etc.

You can play join the dots.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

As far as I know GT never interfered with Recruiting as he hadn’t seen any of the kids play, and he trusted JB (too much)

GT told me he had not even heard of a few of the players that were drafted by JB and he was good with that. Gilbert for instance.

One of the main reasons for our poor drafting in JBs time was it was poorly resourced.
JB was basically on his own, and he was only a part time employee!
You could tell the teams he had watched the most in the draft year - as there’d be a pattern

2006 Queensland - first two picks Armo and Howard
2002 Gippsland. - first two picks Goddard and Ferguson

He just didn’t see enough footballers or have enough knowledge on them.

He recruited Gwilt, Raymond and Sweeney and I don’t believe he had seen any of them play. Just had someone tell him about them!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 12:54pm As far as I know GT never interfered with Recruiting as he hadn’t seen any of the kids play, and he trusted JB (too much)

GT told me he had not even heard of a few of the players that were drafted by JB and he was good with that. Gilbert for instance.

One of the main reasons for our poor drafting in JBs time was it was poorly resourced.
You could tell the teams he had watched the most in the draft year - as there’d be a pattern

He recruited Gwilt, Raymond and Sweeney and I don’t believe he had seen any of them play. Just had someone tell him about them!
I recall we were going with Salopek at #3 because Carlton had 1 & 2 and were going with Goddard & Wells.
Then Carlton got stripped and Goddard who was the absolute stand out #1 fell into our hands.
I even recall someone officially confirming Salopek was our target until the Carlton penalty.

Anyone who forgets how good Goddard was should re-watch the 2010 drawn grand final.
Great player in his prime, very good player for his whole career and very worthy #1 pick along with Hodge & Riewoldt of that era.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 12:54pm As far as I know GT never interfered with Recruiting as he hadn’t seen any of the kids play, and he trusted JB (too much)

Gwilt was a inspired but of recruiting.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It was obvious that Beveridge was trying to outsmart himself. He was obviously in the 4th dimension.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 1:08pm

I recall we were going with Salopek at #3 because Carlton had 1 & 2 and were going with Goddard & Wells.
Then Carlton got stripped and Goddard who was the absolute stand out #1 fell into our hands.
I even recall someone officially confirming Salopek was our target until the Carlton penalty.

Anyone who forgets how good Goddard was should re-watch the 2010 drawn grand final.
Great player in his prime, very good player for his whole career and very worthy #1 pick along with Hodge & Riewoldt of that era.
We would have had a priority pick except for a draw against the Swans when a no named loser kicked a point in the dying minutes of the game.

Image if we had both Wells and Goddard in 2009 and 2010. Two additional flags imho.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 17 Dec 2019 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think most Saints fans acknowledge BJ as a Saints champion! He was a star!

JB had some stinkers!

But some good ones
Baker 28
Montagna 37
Fisher 55

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 4:34pm I think most Saints fans acknowledge BJ as a Saints champion! He was a star!

JB had some stinkers!

But some good ones
Baker 28
Montagna 37
Fisher 55
Bypassing Rioli for a lumbering ruckman whose first touch of the footy in saints colours was with his forehead. Now that was an absolute stroke of genius... Not.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Most experts had Ben going at 9

Some had Albert Proud!!!!

I don’t mind if a player turns out to be better in the long run, hard to accurately pick sometimes, it’s not an exact science.

What I don’t like is when the obvious is overlooked for a reach!!!

Eg
Battle
Worpel

Being Overlooked

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.

And then we overlook Dal Santo's relative but get Goddard's. :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 9:29pm And then we overlook Dal Santo's relative but get Goddard's. :roll:
Don't think for a second that the Bulldogs wouldn't have taken Billings at 3 if they had that pick.
Boyd, Kelly, and Billings were the clear top 3 in that draft at that time.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 9:29pm

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.

And we got Winnar’s cousin. Wasn’t he a gun?

I think we can all acknowledge Bevo was a dud recruiter. That’s obvious. Partly to fault is management for underfunding and lack of resources.

We would’ve been much better off just having a young Emma Quayle do our picks instead, even though she was a journo at the time

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Vazelos
Club Player

Let me get this right?

We take Winmars cousin and Goddards Cousin Hugh, but we don’t take Riewoldts cousin Jack or take Dal Santos Cousin Bontempelli!
I think I want to 😢

The Barometer
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 18 Dec 2019 7:26am
Jacks Back wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 9:29pm

We took David Armitage.

Poor call by Bevo.

And we got Winnar’s cousin. Wasn’t he a gun?

I think we can all acknowledge Bevo was a dud recruiter. That’s obvious. Partly to fault is management for underfunding and lack of resources.

We would’ve been much better off just having a young Emma Quayle do our picks instead, even though she was a journo at the time
Wasn’t Bevo involved in building our list for 97, 04 and 09? Not sure he was entirely a dud, definitely under resourced though!! Some extra support and we might be sitting back fat and happy with some better achievements over the last 20 years.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 1:08pm

That's 100% correct with us choosing Salopek at 3. He is also a massive Saints fan, works in property and is currently a member of a St K coterie group.

Go you red, black & white warriors