The Elephant In The Room

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

The Elephant In The Room

As we brace for season 2020, and some deserved optimism we should all feel as supporters of this footy club, there is the lingering question of the elephant in the room.

What might that be I am sure you are thinking?

Well, let me enlighten you. It concerns a number one draft pick.

The time has come for some robust criticism.

I don’t intend to hold back. And I’m only going to do it once. So here goes.

Before I do, I will add a disclaimer.

I am going for the ball and not the man.

This is not meant to be an attack on personalities or kicking them when they’re down.

It’s about this club’s history of making bad judgement calls at key moments in history.

I think you all know what I’m talking about. There’s been many, many examples over the years.

I have no criticism of the current club regime. I think they are doing/have done their best to put those days behind us.

But we made a terrible and serious mistake.

Squandering a rare gift, granted to clubs who qualify for the dubious honour of being the worst club in the competition.

Because it us such a rare jewel, you’d like to think the footy club you support, has the foresight, the wisdom and the judgement to make the right call. To choose the right man.

You also know that making the wrong call can come back to bite you. In 2020, that is about to happen to us.

Christian Petracca, who we should have taken, no question, no argument, should have taken, is about to show us the error of our ways and in no small way.

If you’d seen how he played in the practice game against the Crows, Petracca is set to make season 2020 his own. He is a midfield bull and he will, barring injury, do considerable damage.

Now, it’s pretty easy and comfortable to be saying this in hindsight.

Except I’m not.

I said at the time, we took the wrong man and sadly I was right, but I take no comfort in that.

Our club was blinded by this need to conjure the second coming of Roo. We needed a key forward at all costs.

Aaaah, no we didn’t.

What we needed was an A grade midfielder.

Yep. It’s all water under the bridge and we have to move on.

I get that.

But I just want to acknowledge that these bad decisions end up being costly, very costly and are compelling reasons why we’ve only won a single premiership.

I truly hope, this time. we’ve learned our lesson.

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: The Elephant In The Room

Mc Cartin was the correct call

Hopefully he is on our List in 2021 and showing his undoubted abilities

The List demographics currently are that Ryder is the age he is so the future is Marshall rucking and a need for a key forward to support Membrey and King

What has concerned me more than the Melbourne player is that we have let a far better player than him slip thru our fingers and go to Fremantle

Acres is a potent footballer and exceptionally gifted

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I’m in the same boat. Said at the time we should have taken Petracca, same as everyone else.

But not ol’ Cho. He knew better.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 8:41pm Mc Cartin was the correct call

The List demographics currently are that Ryder is the age he is so the future is Marshall rucking and a need for a key forward to support Membrey and King

What has concerned me more than the Melbourne player is that we have let a far better player than him slip thru our fingers and go to Fremantle

The highlighted sentence above is the most hilarious thing I have ever read in 30 years of reading the internet. I cannot believe you really mean this TTP.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Elephant in the room is the GOAT Acres with a lazy 31 today

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 9:51pm Elephant in the room is the GOAT Acres with a lazy 31 today
Minchington went ok in Morwell too, BTW.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 9:51pm Elephant in the room is the GOAT Acres with a lazy 31 today
He's no ruckman. He's a big-bodied midfielder, same size as Fyfe. Richo, nice fella and all. Very, very poor judge of a footballer. IMO

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yeah but didn’t even get one hit out.

Gershwin
Club Player

Gee you guys have gone a bit early on Petracca and Acres. It’s still February.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s pretty clear is wasn’t the right call.

Don’t hold your breath.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Phhtt! Get over it. Or are you still pissed off about the Stewart-Barrott swap?

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:41am

Don’t hold your breath.
Correct.

When I agree with Spinner and citywest then something is going on.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:41am

Don’t hold your breath.
Correct.

When I agree with Spinner and citywest then something is going on.....

Saying that, The Tractor is no star, but still a valuable player who would be in our best 22 - even this year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Just way to dramatic and, REALLY, do we need to do this topic again. It's like accidentally turning on A Current Affair and seeing an infomercial on the banking or energy industry. The very last thing it is, is an elephant in the room.

It was only covered, AGAIN just recently.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... t=Petracca

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Retrospective drafting is the easiest game in town...
It was a toss of the coin Petracca v McCartin.
We wouldn't be having these discussions if it weren't for the concussions. That's not a function of draft selection.
For the record, Petracca hasn't set the world alight. He has been praised for a big game in a meaningless game over a month away from the start of the season.

Every club will have these stories.
A better argument would have been Billings v The Bont...At least The Bont has proven himself over and over again...Unlike Petracca.
But even then it's a fool's errand. Because every club with pick 3 that year would have taken Billings...Including the Dogs.

Make no mistake regarding McCartin. If we'd have taken Petracca at 1 then Melbourne would have taken McCartin at 2 without hesitation and would have been glad to do so.

The thing with the number 1 pick is that there are around 70 picks following to show you who you should have taken instead. More chances for the hindsight drafters to get stuck in.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:50am Phhtt! Get over it. Or are you still pissed off about the Stewart-Barrott swap?
I am. :wink:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 10:22am Retrospective drafting is the easiest game in town...
We wouldn't be having these discussions if it weren't for the concussions. That's not a function of draft selection.
For the record, Petracca hasn't set the world alight. He has been praised for a big game in a meaningless game over a month away from the start of the season.

A better argument would have been Billings v The Bont...At least The Bont has proven himself over and over again...Unlike Petracca.
But even then it's a fool's errand. Because every club with pick 3 that year would have taken Billings...Including the Dogs.

Make no mistake regarding McCartin. If we'd have taken Petracca at 1 then Melbourne would have taken McCartin at 2 without hesitation and would have been glad to do so.

The thing with the number 1 pick is that there are around 70 picks following to show you who you should have taken instead. More chances for the hindsight drafters to get stuck in.
How do you predict concussion.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 10:22am Retrospective drafting is the easiest game in town...

It was never a toss of the coin, most in the football industry had Petracca as the obvious number 1. We wanted a forward (even though it’s now a midfielders game) and took a risk, which then blew up in our face.

No hindsight required.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Blake did well yesterday. 31 possessions and in Freo's best three.

I really hope we haven't stuffed up.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sun 01 Mar 2020 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
longtimesaint
Club Player

I was sorry we traded Acres and I don’t think he wanted to leave.
We probably could have done the deal for Hill without trading Blake but I suspect that main reason was to reduce our salary cap with the five new players coming in on good money.
I was always of the opinion that Acres would develop into a very good player as he was entering his peak period.

One year will be our year
BarryGrogan
Club Player

We would have traded Petracca by now if we took him.

He's been incredibly underwhelming - aside from a R1 praccy match against a ressies team.

Not only that, he's been underwhleming as the 4th-5th string mid and as the 4th string forward.

If he's only laboured in that team - how would he have gone in our team FFS!!!??

I also disagree with the thing about wanting the next Roo. We've seen and heard directly from the transcript when it was locked in that we were taking McCartin - and it had nothing to with wanting the next Roo. That's just not true.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 11:02am I was sorry we traded Acres and I don’t think he wanted to leave.
We probably could have done the deal for Hill without trading Blake but I suspect that main reason was to reduce our salary cap with the five new players coming in on good money.
I was always of the opinion that Acres would develop into a very good player as he was entering his peak period.
Best we can hope for is a win/win with Hill I guess. I wish Acres well and hope he develops into the player we suspected he could be ... except when he’s playing us, of course.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Can someone please also start a Luke Ball thread?

Might as well..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:08pm Can someone please also start a Luke Ball thread?

Might as well..
You can't have a Luke Ball stoush without introducing, Grant/Butters, the 2009 GF and RL. Anyone remember Kenny Sheldon's memorable mistakes.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

After our first Marsh series game, a difficult question is, who makes way for Geary, Hannebery, Roberton and Jones. Our selectors will be earning their money. So where on earth would Petracca and Acres fit? At Sandringham?