MMM makes me angry. Footy players are strong nonsense.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

MMM makes me angry. Footy players are strong nonsense.

We all know China used pretty drastic lock-down measures, perhaps draconian, and achieved - cheating aside - some stability in terms of the spread.

Now how insulting is it to listen to Eddie Mc Quire (who was tested a week ago - long before most of us even knew where or how to get tested) and Luke Darcy spew forth their mirth and earnest longings for us not to hoard when we know isolation is the - regrettably - most responsible action one can take. Telling us that footy players are strong and healthy so its OK/...what bullocks!

Temperature checks! Bullocks big time BS! You can have the virus in you five days before your first temp spike.

If we isolate we need items and it is perfectly understandable that people without the means of Eddie and Luke, and the private insurance plans - are gonna be a bit on their toes and get nervy in teh supermarket lanes. It is understandable that many will over react.

They clearly have an agenda to keep the footy going on and for the season to start. They latch on to one stat quoted that suggested 'up to 30%' of medical staff will be homebound and be of no use to hospitals if forced to stay home and mind their kids because of school closures. Then they just run with it, leaving out the 'up to' bit and just go with thirty percent. They think they are being responsible spokesman to the working people, and they are good and mean well, but really, people lose all trust in them when they say...keep the kids at school, keep local footy playing. You can gather up to a 100 people. THey are not ignorant, both smart cookies with social smarts too. They know 5 out 10 people listening will say 'BS' quietly in their minds, but the others? But they have a larger agenda..and that is to prevent a panic ...a riot...looting etc., It totally distorts the import of the details they propose. In Amercia, the rules are already down to ten people. Australia went to 100 swiftly.

I think they shouldn't play this week. I think local footy shouldn't play either. Kids shouldn't go to school for a week either...if they really want to put a brake on it...however, the caveat is preventing panic and rioting. If this move would cause people to lose their s*** and panic then obviously, play the football, let more people get infected because no doubt they will. If community sports and schools keep rolling on as normal, more people will get and spread the virus. No amount of rationalization can change that.

Now..here is the catch...I believe they know footy will be cancelled but they don't wanna say it because it will encite more panic, so they keep this charade up.

We need essential services and deliveries and protocols around that. We don't need to encourage gatherings or Eddie saying the MCG is the best place for footy players to be.

If we do that, then perhaps we can blunt the attack and return to (relatively) normal far earlier than these six month forecasts.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Darth Vader
Club Player

Re: MMM makes me angry. Footy players are strong nonsense.

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 3:50pm We all know China used pretty drastic lock-down measures, perhaps draconian, and achieved - cheating aside - some stability in terms of the spread.

Now how insulting is it to listen to Eddie Mc Quire (who was tested a week ago - long before most of us even knew where or how to get tested) and Luke Darcy spew forth their mirth and earnest longings for us not to hoard when we know isolation is the - regrettably - most responsible action one can take. Telling us that footy players are strong and healthy so its OK/...what bullocks!

Temperature checks! Bullocks big time BS! You can have the virus in you five days before your first temp spike.

If we isolate we need items and it is perfectly understandable that people without the means of Eddie and Luke, and the private insurance plans - are gonna be a bit on their toes and get nervy in teh supermarket lanes. It is understandable that many will over react.

They clearly have an agenda to keep the footy going on and for the season to start. They latch on to one stat quoted that suggested 'up to 30%' of medical staff will be homebound and be of no use to hospitals if forced to stay home and mind their kids because of school closures. Then they just run with it, leaving out the 'up to' bit and just go with thirty percent. They think they are being responsible spokesman to the working people, and they are good and mean well, but really, people lose all trust in them when they say...keep the kids at school, keep local footy playing. You can gather up to a 100 people. THey are not ignorant, both smart cookies with social smarts too. They know 5 out 10 people listening will say 'BS' quietly in their minds, but the others? But they have a larger agenda..and that is to prevent a panic ...a riot...looting etc., It totally distorts the import of the details they propose. In Amercia, the rules are already down to ten people. Australia went to 100 swiftly.

I think they shouldn't play this week. I think local footy shouldn't play either. Kids shouldn't go to school for a week either...if they really want to put a brake on it...however, the caveat is preventing panic and rioting. If this move would cause people to lose their s*** and panic then obviously, play the football, let more people get infected because no doubt they will. If community sports and schools keep rolling on as normal, more people will get and spread the virus. No amount of rationalization can change that.

Now..here is the catch...I believe they know footy will be cancelled but they don't wanna say it because it will encite more panic, so they keep this charade up.

We need essential services and deliveries and protocols around that. We don't need to encourage gatherings or Eddie saying the MCG is the best place for footy players to be.

If we do that, then perhaps we can blunt the attack and return to (relatively) normal far earlier than these six month forecasts.
How do we know China has achieved stability in the spread?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The measures put in now need to be sustainable for up to 6 months, shutting everything down for 2 or 4 weeks isn’t going to achieve anything (Chief Medical Officer Prof Brendan Murphy covered all this this morning). The footy is a write off, that’s fine. But we can’t have schools close and businesses shut down for that amount of time, a balance needs to be found.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:17pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 3:50pm We all know China used pretty drastic lock-down measures, perhaps draconian, and achieved - cheating aside - some stability in terms of the spread.

We don't but...
We do know the aggressiveness of their isolation tactics. We know they are in health crisis as well as international reputation crisis viz-a-viz management of said heath crisis as well as the stigma associated with being perceived of as being the origin of the virus. we also know they were the first place where the thing exploded and so responded pretty hard well before people here gave it a second thought. They would shake their heads I assume, listening to the way we talk about continuing community sports...all this being based on the current knowledge. (Obviously it can all change...and hopefully will, in a a good way, in a flash of good news)

The published stats are of course suggesting that they have made serious progress. Should we believe them? Of course not. Should we believe that most people carrying the virus have yet to be, and most likely never will be tested? yes..I would say.

We know one thing, the virus is extremely contagious, can live on a metal door handle for up to 48 hours.

They may well be lying more than the others..the others who are clearly showing steeper rises now. However, even the honest ones can't say much without more testing.

Darth Vader
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:27pm The measures put in now need to be sustainable for up to 6 months, shutting everything down for 2 or 4 weeks isn’t going to achieve anything (Chief Medical Officer Prof Brendan Murphy covered all this this morning). The footy is a write off, that’s fine. But we can’t have schools close and businesses shut down for that amount of time, a balance needs to be found.
Can’t shut everything down but can flatten the curve to protect health system with limited shut down.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:35pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:27pm The measures put in now need to be sustainable for up to 6 months, shutting everything down for 2 or 4 weeks isn’t going to achieve anything (Chief Medical Officer Prof Brendan Murphy covered all this this morning). The footy is a write off, that’s fine. But we can’t have schools close and businesses shut down for that amount of time, a balance needs to be found.
Can’t shut everything down but can flatten the curve to protect health system with limited shut down.
How about two weeks shut down , then gradually, as more testing and stats come to light, reintroducing everything incrementally, in a measured way. That's better than reactive changes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Eddie Big Mouth is just a f***wit from Broady.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:33pm

We don't but...
We do know the aggressiveness of their isolation tactics. We know they are in health crisis as well as international reputation crisis viz-a-viz management of said heath crisis as well as the stigma associated with being perceived of as being the origin of the virus. we also know they were the first place where the thing exploded and so responded pretty hard well before people here gave it a second thought. They would shake their heads I assume, listening to the way we talk about continuing community sports...all this being based on the current knowledge. (Obviously it can all change...and hopefully will, in a a good way, in a flash of good news)

The published stats are of course suggesting that they have made serious progress. Should we believe them? Of course not. Should we believe that most people carrying the virus have yet to be, and most likely never will be tested? yes..I would say.

We know one thing, the virus is extremely contagious, can live on a metal door handle for up to 48 hours.

They may well be lying more than the others..the others who are clearly showing steeper rises now. However, even the honest ones can't say much without more testing.
I don't believe that the virus didn't spread to Shanghai and Peking. No way, so I believe that they are cooking their figures.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Updated but still likely to be crap.

From herald sun .com.au

China reports 13 new virus cases
China has reported 13 new coronavirus cases for Tuesday, as well as 11 deaths across the country.
Deutsche Presse Agentur
March 18, 2020 2:20pm

Imported coronavirus cases in China have outnumbered cases of location transmission for the fifth straight day as infected travellers passed through major Chinese transportation hubs in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

Mainland China reported 13 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infections on Tuesday, the country's National Health Commission said, down from 21 cases a day earlier.

Of the new cases, 12 involved infected travellers arriving from abroad.

In contrast to the current wave of imported cases, China had only one case of locally transmitted infection on Tuesday, in Wuhan, capital of central Hubei province where the flu-like disease surfaced in humans late last year.

The capital Beijing accounted for three of the imported new cases, down from nine a day earlier. Shanghai had three new cases, unchanged from the day before.

Imported cases in southern Guangdong province rose to five from three, due to people arriving from Thailand, Britain and the Netherlands. One infection emerged in Sichuan in southwest China.

The overall number of imported cases of the virus in mainland China reached 155 as of Tuesday, up 12 from a day earlier.

That brings the total number of confirmed cases in mainland China so far to 80,894, the health authority said in a statement on Wednesday.

The death toll from the outbreak in mainland China had reached 3,237 as of the end of Tuesday, up by 11 from the previous day.

In Hubei, the epicentre of the outbreak in China, there were 11 new deaths, with Wuhan accounting for 10 of the fatalities.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:57pm

We don't but...

I don't believe that the virus didn't spread to Shanghai and Peking. No way, so I believe that they are cooking their figures.
Careful Saynta; you’ll get smeared as a conspiracy theorist by questioning the official story.

ScoMo is right because he doesn't do spin and he has all our best interest at heart.

We’ve also been informed on here that the Chief Medical Officer spoke this morning so you should believe him even if hypothetically say, you don't really believe in anything because he is a scientist.

So, don't pose any questions.

Dangerous.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

sorry in advance

i have a question

is that a fact

that the virus can live on a door handle
for up to 48 hours ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm with Eddie and Darcy on the hoarders. Disgraceful, not to mention selfish panic merchants. How long do you think isolation will occur for? 2 weeks, 3 weeks, maybe 4? How much toilet paper and munchies does one need?

Seriously, the hoarders ought to be ashamed of themselves!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Shutting down everything for 2 or 4 weeks is all you can do without annihilating the economy. Any suggestion of longer is in reality, complete madness.

Shut everything for about 4 weeks, which will reduce the spread, and then deal with it. People at risk will need to self isolate, you know the elderly, sick and the obese (whatever age they may be).

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:34pm
Shutting down everything for 2 or 4 weeks is all you can do without annihilating the economy. Any suggestion of longer is in reality, complete madness.

Shut everything for about 4 weeks, which will reduce the spread, and then deal with it. People at risk will need to self isolate, you know the elderly, sick and the obese (whatever age they may be).
But what will shutting down everything for 2-4 weeks do other than delay the peak by 2-4 weeks?

Create a set of sustainable rules and systems how that can go on for months. As you said, annihilating the economy will turn into a bigger issue than the virus.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:49pm

But what will shutting down everything for 2-4 weeks do other than delay the peak by 2-4 weeks?

Create a set of sustainable rules and systems how that can go on for months. As you said, annihilating the economy will turn into a bigger issue than the virus.
The current situation is unsustainable. I don't know what will be effective in reducing the spread and be sustainable. 4 weeks will reduce the spread by some measure, then we've just got to deal with it.

We need to start ignoring the media, so that they may shut the f**k up for a start.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

You read and watch more than the bulls*** Western msm.

Simples!

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:01pm sorry in advance

i have a question

is that a fact

for up to 48 hours ?
Insufficient research done to be too specific about how long it survives on any surface, including skin.

Simply put, the medicos are too busy fighting it, to be able to spend time studying it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

2 points;

1. You seem to be suggesting you can divorce the virus from the economic impact.

2. Truth is, it was the OPEC+ meeting, a coupla weeks ago, that triggered the smashing of financial markets.

I won't bother trying to outline it all but, put simply, the Russians said 'Nyet' to oil productions cuts, and blew up energy and credit markets.

The Yank shale boom is dead, and > 10% of Yank junk corporate bonds are stuck in Yank shale companies. >10% of 'out of the money' bonds, in any credit market guarantees it blows up. Next? BAIL OUT! The Yank shale producers need an oil price of US$70/barrel to break even, and the Saudis need >US$80/barrel to get anywhere near the budget.

The Russians, who have the 2nd lowest production price of all (and actually charge their producers an $8/barrel Rent Resources Tax), have NO debt in US$'s, and sufficient reserves to handle the budget deficits coming from a US$25/barrel oil price for 6 -8 YEARS.

The Russians saw the "Perfect Storm" brewing, and pulled the trigger.

And the minute they did, it was GAME ON!!

They're not vulnerable, the entire Western world is - the virus is just a kicker.

And, the Russians closest strategic partner? The Chinamen.

40 years on from Ronnie Raygun and Thatcher, and the baton is changing hands.

Get used to it. They're just smarter, that's all.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:01pm sorry in advance

i have a question

is that a fact

for up to 48 hours ?
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-lon ... ect-2020-3

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 5:18pm
saynta wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:57pm
DartAqqqh Vader wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:17pm

We don't but...

Careful Saynta; you’ll get smeared as a conspiracy theorist by questioning the official story.

ScoMo is right because he doesn't do spin and he has all our best interest at heart.

We’ve also been informed on here that the Chief Medical Officer spoke this morning so you should believe him even if hypothetically say, you don't really believe in anything because he is a scientist.

Dangerous.
Oh, f*** 'em I say. :D :) :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 7:14pm

2 points;

1. You seem to be suggesting you can divorce the virus from the economic impact.

2. Truth is, it was the OPEC+ meeting, a coupla weeks ago, that triggered the smashing of financial markets.

I won't bother trying to outline it all but, put simply, the Russians said 'Nyet' to oil productions cuts, and blew up energy and credit markets.

The Yank shale boom is dead, and > 10% of Yank junk corporate bonds are stuck in Yank shale companies. >10% of 'out of the money' bonds, in any credit market guarantees it blows up. Next? BAIL OUT! The Yank shale producers need an oil price of US$70/barrel to break even, and the Saudis need >US$80/barrel to get anywhere near the budget.

The Russians, who have the 2nd lowest production price of all (and actually charge their producers an $8/barrel Rent Resources Tax), have NO debt in US$'s, and sufficient reserves to handle the budget deficits coming from a US$25/barrel oil price for 6 -8 YEARS.

The Russians saw the "Perfect Storm" brewing, and pulled the trigger.

And the minute they did, it was GAME ON!!

They're not vulnerable, the entire Western world is - the virus is just a kicker.

And, the Russians closest strategic partner? The Chinamen.

40 years on from Ronnie Raygun and Thatcher, and the baton is changing hands.

Get used to it. They're just smarter, that's all.
I probably should have been a bit clearer, but I’m more worried about local economic issues rather than global (which is always a shitshow)

These shutdown are going to absolutely decimate whole industries. If your business/job has anything to do with events, arts, hospitality, travel, recreation etc. then you’re in big trouble. If you’re job is associated with any of those then you’re going to suffer. If the current restrictions carry on for months then the job losses will be in the hundreds of thousands, and everything that comes with that will be devastating.

A sustainable balanced solution needs to be found that both looks after the vulnerable and keeps local industries alive.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So it's all about tradeoffs. Jobs v deaths. Very interesting and ethical.

Global economic issues are always important as we are a small open economy and a price taker. While the economy was practically f***ed to begin with, it can actually work in our favour. BUT there won't be an economy to worry about if this isn't treated as a health crisis instead of an economic one.

Anyway, it's too late, we are f***ed. Let's just scapegoat the hoarders and panic buyers and let those in power off the hook.

👍

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:24pm ...These shutdowns are going to absolutely decimate whole industries. If your business/job has anything to do with events, arts, hospitality, travel, recreation etc. then you’re in big trouble. If you’re job is associated with any of those then you’re going to suffer. If the current restrictions carry on for months then the job losses will be in the hundreds of thousands, and everything that comes with that will be devastating.

A sustainable balanced solution needs to be found that both looks after the vulnerable and keeps local industries alive.
I agree, but what does a "sustainable solution" look like? It will mean "taxing" those who have and spending on those who don't - including business to business transfers. A Labor government would do it but it is anathema to the Libs. On the other hand, they have already embraced "stimulus 2008" after arguing for years that it was just wasted on "school halls" which are still around today and may serve as emergency isolation centres in rural areas.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 9:02pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:24pm ...These shutdowns are going to absolutely decimate whole industries. If your business/job has anything to do with events, arts, hospitality, travel, recreation etc. then you’re in big trouble. If you’re job is associated with any of those then you’re going to suffer. If the current restrictions carry on for months then the job losses will be in the hundreds of thousands, and everything that comes with that will be devastating.

I agree, but what does a "sustainable solution" look like? It will mean "taxing" those who have and spending on those who don't - including business to business transfers. A Labor government would do it but it is anathema to the Libs. On the other hand, they have already embraced "stimulus 2008" after arguing for years that it was just wasted on "school halls" which are still around today and may serve as emergency isolation centres in rural areas.
I’m not sure exactly what it looks like, that’s something for those who know a lot more than I to figure out, I just know the way it’s heading right now is going to be rough.

Maybe something that focuses funds on looking after and isolating the most at risk from the virus, while allowing those who are in the extremely low risk categories to go about a more normal lifestyle, while still maintaining some basic common sense preventative measures.

Or if they could get the billion dollar banks to give some loan repayment relief for a few months, I’m sure that would ease the burden on those who will be struggling in the very near future.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 5:18pm

Dangerous.
Yes. Scomo doesn't do spin. Right. Got it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: