Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Geary

Geary is out for 1 to 2 weeks with a corky. Battle
must surely come in now! If he doesn’t he will
request a trade at seasons end and that will really
piss everyone off🤨

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
outside66
Club Player

Re: Geary

It will be a very interesting call, i think it will be either Battle or Webster to come in. Battle offers versatility and Webster offers hardness whilst both are smart and use the ball well. I reckon Websters pace will give him the slight advantage on this one.

Unfortunately this year is a raffle and is tough on any bloke outside the 22 as there is little opportunity to build any kind of form. Regardless, Battle will get his turn at some stage and when he does, it's up to him to hold it. Ahhhh to actually have depth, how refreshing!

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Battle earned the right last year to be an automatic
selection. It should be up to him to lose his spot.
This is exactly why I firmly believe Geary should
not be captain. He is on the fringe of our best 22. The captain should be in the top 10 best players on
the list at the very least.
Last edited by Nick_BlueNRG on Fri 19 Jun 2020 7:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 4:36pm It will be a very interesting call, i think it will be either Battle or Webster to come in. Battle offers versatility and Webster offers hardness whilst both are smart and use the ball well. I reckon Websters pace will give him the slight advantage on this one.

Unfortunately this year is a raffle and is tough on any bloke outside the 22 as there is little opportunity to build any kind of form. Regardless, Battle will get his turn at some stage and when he does, it's up to him to hold it. Ahhhh to actually have depth, how refreshing!
Not sure they'd need another backman in Webster with Clark, Paton & Long holding the smalls, Coffield & Wilkie the mediums and Howard and Carslile the talls.

I'd like to see Battle but he seems to have lost his position to the Howard/ Wilkie combination down back and Ryder/ Marshall/ King forward line. I don't see him playing wing/ mid.

Maybe another mid like Dunstan or Sinclair, Sincs would suit the style of play they had going against Dogs.
Maybe even Marsh or Phillips who looked alright in the pre season, perhaps even Kent?

Don't remember this level of competition for spots for a long time.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Battle only comes in if they play one ruck.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
outside66
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 4:48pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 4:36pm It will be a very interesting call, i think it will be either Battle or Webster to come in. Battle offers versatility and Webster offers hardness whilst both are smart and use the ball well. I reckon Websters pace will give him the slight advantage on this one.

Not sure they'd need another backman in Webster with Clark, Paton & Long holding the smalls, Coffield & Wilkie the mediums and Howard and Carslile the talls.

I'd like to see Battle but he seems to have lost his position to the Howard/ Wilkie combination down back and Ryder/ Marshall/ King forward line. I don't see him playing wing/ mid.

Maybe another mid like Dunstan or Sinclair, Sincs would suit the style of play they had going against Dogs.
Maybe even Marsh or Phillips who looked alright in the pre season, perhaps even Kent?

Don't remember this level of competition for spots for a long time.
Yeah good points, Sinclair would be a good addition but I suppose it depends on what tricks Ratts has up his sleeve - I loved the Geary move and I think that definitely took the doggies by surprise however if that looks to be a way forward then I reckon Webster might be able to execute that role better than most. Whichever way it goes will be very interesting , that's for sure!

St Loxton
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 4:22pm Geary is out for 1 to 2 weeks with a corky. Battle
must surely come in now! If he doesn’t he will
request a trade at seasons end and that will really
piss everyone off🤨
As if Josh said that, rubbish.
I hope he gets back in the side soon also, but I also think Jimmy is a more like for like selection.
It will be all about match-ups, there is better judges than us making that call after their opposition analysis.
We are a good chance against the pies, hopefully they have been dumbed down after last round.

starsign
Club Player

What’s the story with Savage? He seems to have dropped off the radar Can’t even remember him in the preseason games?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Webster is an awful kick.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 4:44pm Battle eared the right last year to be an automatic
not be captain. He is on the fringe of our best 22. The captain should be in the top 10 best players on
Battle is a problem.

He's not big enough to be a KPP.

Not quick enough to play small.

Not mobile enough to be a mid.

He's a really good, polished footballer - but I just don't know what his spot is aside from the 3rd tall defender.
And if the opposition doesn't have a 3rd tall forward - then where does he play?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I want to see Battle play... he’s not like for like with Geary.

Definite no to Savage. Generally not great defensively to play tagger and not damaging enough with the ball in his hands. Performances should be more consistently of a higher standard. Personally I think he’s done.

Not a huge fan of Webster either. Keep hearing about how great he is... don’t know that he’s ever had a good season.

Would rather play Hind or Langlands down back and potentially look at giving Parker, Bytel or SInclair a go

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 6:53pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 4:44pm Battle eared the right last year to be an automatic
Battle is a problem.

He's a really good, polished footballer - but I just don't know what his spot is aside from the 3rd tall defender.
And if the opposition doesn't have a 3rd tall forward - then where does he play?
Battle is the exact same height as Mihochec who plays CHF for the Pies. In any event I believe he should be played up forward when played.

outside66
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 6:50pm

Surely you jest?! Ratten has been effusive in his praise towards Webster's kicking all throughout the preseason. He runs at 68.8 percent kicking efficiency which is ahead of the likes of Billings, Hill, Long, Clark, Ross, Hannaz, Gresh, Hind, Sinclair to name a few. Jimmy also pulls the trigger on aggressive kicks which don't come off everytime so it will be exciting to see how he fares under a more adventurous regime that encourages risk taking and players using their strengths.

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro# ... B8nwOEO4QA

BarryGrogan
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Wed 17 Jun 2020 10:54am

Surely you jest?! Ratten has been effusive in his praise towards Webster's kicking all throughout the preseason. He runs at 68.8 percent kicking efficiency which is ahead of the likes of Billings, Hill, Long, Clark, Ross, Hannaz, Gresh, Hind, Sinclair to name a few. Jimmy also pulls the trigger on aggressive kicks which don't come off everytime so it will be exciting to see how he fares under a more adventurous regime that encourages risk taking and players using their strengths.

I've said this 100 times on here already - efficiency stats are misleading at best, straight up rubbish at worst.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Battle is a problem.

Battle is not a problem. He is big enough and he is quick enough and he is mobile enough. How do I know this? By how he performed last year and became one of our best players.

outside66
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 17 Jun 2020 4:06pm

I've said this 100 times on here already - efficiency stats are misleading at best, straight up rubbish at worst.
Righto... In any case, I’ll take Ratten’s opinion over yours every day of the week.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 17 Jun 2020 4:06pm

Just your opinion and what is it worth??

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Battle is a problem.

Physically Josh Battle is the same size as Fyfe, Bontempelli and Pendlebury, all "swingmen" who can play the old fashioned ruck-rover role all around the ground to devastating effect.

In fact, I recall Ratten describing Battle not so long ago as this type of player and that is where he will eventually excel!

It may well be that the coaches have got him working on his mobility, or some other part of his game that he needs to tick off.

I'm quite certain that Battle will get his opportunity again soon, and expect him to get himself into the Saints' Best 22, it's only a matter of time.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
BarryGrogan
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 12:34am
Righto... In any case, I’ll take Ratten’s opinion over yours every day of the week.
You don't know Ratten's opinion though.

You only know what he says in the media.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:49am

Physically Josh Battle is the same size as Fyfe, Bontempelli and Pendlebury, all "swingmen" who can play the old fashioned ruck-rover role all around the ground to devastating effect.

In fact, I recall Ratten describing Battle not so long ago as this type of player and that is where he will eventually excel!

It may well be that the coaches have got him working on his mobility, or some other part of his game that he needs to tick off.

He's going to need to. He's kind of 'big midfielder' size but not mobile enough, or good enough to get a game as an on-baller.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 2:46pm

He's going to need to. He's kind of 'big midfielder' size but not mobile enough, or good enough to get a game as an on-baller.
He ran a good time trial, didn't he? - i just looked it up - 3rd. That could help his cause. Mind you, it hasn't helped Phillips get a guernsey.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I hope It's Webster

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 3:36pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 2:46pm

He ran a good time trial, didn't he? - i just looked it up - 3rd. That could help his cause. Mind you, it hasn't helped Phillips get a guernsey.
Battles a very good runner and great endurance, but he's not agile and doesn't move well laterally.
He's a sub KPP, not a mid or a wing man IMO.

I really like him as a player, he's courageous and strong, but he doesn't have a spot currently and Ratten doesn't seem to be in a hurry top play him.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
outside66
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 2:43pm

Well one instance of Ratten giving his opinion was actually during a facebook live Q & A session with Saints members so unless you're claiming him to be a liar than I reckon you should take off the tinfoil hat and get a pair of glasses whilst you're at it!

BarryGrogan
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Fri 19 Jun 2020 4:24pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 2:43pm

Well one instance of Ratten giving his opinion was actually during a facebook live Q & A session with Saints members so unless you're claiming him to be a liar than I reckon you should take off the tinfoil hat and get a pair of glasses whilst you're at it!
I sometimes tell my kids that their artwork is good when I want to encourage them.