Saints brutal round 6 review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints brutal round 6 review

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Saints brutal round 6 review

"The gravity of the Fremantle loss is still felt by many in the room"

That's the bit that worries me. That kind of loss is one of those ones that can mentally kill a group.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

And who was saying the clubs and players don't care about the season?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 2:48pm

That's the bit that worries me. That kind of loss is one of those ones that can mentally kill a group.
But no pressure acts in third quarter, after what should have been a stern warning at halftime!

What does that say?

They were not damaged because of the game, they were, or are already damaged?

Legacy of the last five years? To have had a Leigh Motagna out there would have been good. Even Hanners might have made a difference.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 3:37pm

But no pressure acts in third quarter, after what should have been a stern warning at halftime!

What does that say?

Legacy of the last five years? To have had a Leigh Motagna out there would have been good. Even Hanners might have made a difference.
It's why I keep saying that I wouldn't mind if Hannebury was captain. He knows what ultimate success looks looks like, is the loudest of our voices out on the ground, has the respect of the opposition and can still execute. But that's just me and I'm sure there'll be heaps of ppl on here that would love to disagree with me and tell me how good Seb Ross is instead.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 5:07pm

What does that say?

It's why I keep saying that I wouldn't mind if Hannebury was captain. He knows what ultimate success looks looks like, is the loudest of our voices out on the ground, has the respect of the opposition and can still execute. But that's just me and I'm sure there'll be heaps of ppl on here that would love to disagree with me and tell me how good Seb Ross is instead.
Don't want Ross but definitely don't want the gimp either (not unless he plays say 10 consecutive games)
Wouldn't mind testing Billings out as he probably has the highest ceiling of our current midfielders.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Very interested to hear the input from Roberton & Hannebery. Obviously no one in the 22 that played last Saturday had the qualities to call it. Agree, if Hanners could stay on the park, he should be our captain with Steele his VC. Both easily in our Top 10 as things stand.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 5:22pm

What does that say?

Don't want Ross but definitely don't want the gimp either (not unless he plays say 10 consecutive games)
Wouldn't mind testing Billings out as he probably has the highest ceiling of our current midfielders.
Wrong. Lovely kid; excellent footballer but yeah, nah. I like my onfield leaders to have (a) a voice and (b) some vim 'n' vigor. If it had to be someone from the experienced group, I'd pick Membrey.

However, if we wanted to be brave and appoint a young guy who could grow into it and be there for the journey - Josh Battle is that man ... all day; every day. Has the skills to justify his place in team; Will probably end up a big midfielder (where you want your Captain); plays with intensity; tackles to hurt; very vocal and doesn't mind giving a spray.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 6:14pm Very interested to hear the input from Roberton & Hannebery. Obviously no one in the 22 that played last Saturday had the qualities to call it. Agree, if Hanners could stay on the park, he should be our captain with Steele his VC. Both easily in our Top 10 as things stand.
None of them dared speak without being hypocrites least of all the captain!
Unfortunately can't see Roberton playing enough games to offer any sort of on-field leadership and suspect/fear same for Hannabery.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 6:15pm

What does that say?

Wrong. Lovely kid; excellent footballer but yeah, nah. I like my onfield leaders to have (a) a voice and (b) some vim 'n' vigor. If it had to be someone from the experienced group, I'd pick Membrey.

However, if we wanted to be brave and appoint a young guy who could grow into it and be there for the journey - Josh Battle is that man ... all day; every day. Has the skills to justify his place in team; Will probably end up a big midfielder (where you want your Captain); plays with intensity; tackles to hurt; very vocal and doesn't mind giving a spray.
I like those qualities you've given Battle but he's still not found a spot that's guaranteed. I'm not sure we can give a Jack of all Trades the position. Ultimately Clark & Coffield will captain St Kilda but it's not time for either.

I like Membrey, I like Steele, I like Hannebery. I don't know enough about Jones but seems likely.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to give Wilkie the Captaincy next. He has gone from the disappointment of not being picked up at the draft to winning consecutive B&F and leading a bottom dwelling State League team to the Flag, to taking his AFL shot with both hands and making the most of his opportunities.
Before they pushed Carlisle forward, I was hoping the might drop Battle back and push Wilkie forward. I have utter faith in him. He has a great back story, the kind of back story Geary has, with the notable exception of being a very very good footballer.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 6:30pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 6:15pm

What does that say?

I like those qualities you've given Battle but he's still not found a spot that's guaranteed. I'm not sure we can give a Jack of all Trades the position. Ultimately Clark & Coffield will captain St Kilda but it's not time for either.

I like Membrey, I like Steele, I like Hannebery. I don't know enough about Jones but seems likely.
Agree, if Battle is currently regarded as a fringe player, then I don’t want us to pick home as Captain. It seems like even Gears, who is higher up than Battle in the ranks, gets the little steam pressure in our boilers a fraction high because we wonder if he is even in the 22.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Can mentally kill supporters too!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What does that say?

I think it is a given that Hanners would have made a difference. A difference that may have meant a win instead of a loss.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Can mentally kill supporters too!
thats all a bit past tense

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Surely Steele has everything needed to be captain?!

A lot of Lenny about him 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 8:03pm Surely Steele has everything needed to be captain?!
Steele as Captain
Wilkie as Vice Captain

Get it Done

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

suggestion:
identifying what went wrong internally, I would think involves discussing what rules weren't followed, what set ups weren't followed, what roles weren't carried out, when a guy didn't do any pressure acts, etc.

Bringing up what the media says about you seems to put too much weight on how others perceive you.
You can't be worried about what others are saying about you, because then you would let those others get into your head.
I thought footy clubs tried to hose down media.
Players don't focus on what Caro or Robbo writes about them, because it doesn't matter.
Ignore the media

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think it's warranted in this case to bring up media

Are you pretenders?

Seems like a fair question to ask after last week

Nee!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I got so focused on this damn Adelaide game I think losing to Freo might give us an intense wake up call. So as much as it a bummer, I think the response will be really important.

I don’t think we’ll break out to a big lead like Freo as I suspect that the Crows will play like the Swans. They know their stocks are low and they know we will try to rush things along.

Low score perhaps. I real test.

To the top
SS Life Member

I agree the challenge is the response

Those selected this week will carry that responsibility

A responsibility which offers opportunity

If the response is as we hope then those dropped wii find it hard to get back

If it is not then all cards are on the deck

The problem is that the next 2 games are in Adelaide, hardly a happy hunting ground

Both Adelaide and Port Adelaide usually get us because of superior midfields

If the ball is constantly in your forward half you are going to score

We have to turn the midfield tables so the ball is in our forward half not the opposition’s.

The challenge is here and now - and not just this week but the weeks which follow

Out of quarantine (except AFL protocols) in Noosa and being acclimatised should help after we get Adelaide behind us

In Adelaide they are quarantined so 3 weeks on the trot in State imposed quarantine - before AFL protocols are the requirement

This will all have an impact

Particularly if there is a National Cabinet change from flatten the curve to keep pressure off the health system to eradication

St Plugger
Club Player

[/quote]
[/quote]

This is 100% absolutely correct!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 7:30pm

What does that say?

I think it is a given that Hanners would have made a difference. A difference that may have meant a win instead of a loss.
And a soft tissue injury in the second quarter pbly means a 5 goal loss

Sanctorum
Club Player

Much of the comments about the Saints review this week has centred around the issue of leadership, specifically the absence thereof against Fremantle when the team went to water.

I'll resist the temptation to start another anti-Geary/Ross debate, but clearly neither of them were able to generate any spark of ignition to get the team back on track, and the opportunity for the team to appoint new on-field leaders can't come quick enough. For the team to achieve ultimate success It is imperative for them to be led by dynamic and elite-skilled players, and anyone of those already put forward on this thread will do the job admirably - let's face it, they won't be filling big shoes!

St Kilda faces a huge challenge in their forthcoming matches in Adelaide - in 38 matches against the 2 SA teams they have won just 10.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I also believe the team missed the influence of Jarryd Roughead who has been on the bench at ground level with the players, and would surely have assisted the coaches to address the disastrous slump that ensued. It was funny to hear Roughy comment on AFL 360 last night that now he knows what it feels like to be a Saints supporter!

Maybe the team needs to place a cardboard cut-out of Roughy on the bench and get him to get in their ears when they take a spell....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

St Plugger wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 10:50pm
[/quote]

This is 100% absolutely correct!
[/quote]

I don’t understand.

You need one of your best six to be captain. Surely we have learned from bitter experience?

Is Battle in the best 22? Doesn’t seem so based on selections thus far.