Lonie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Lonie

Hate potting players at AFL level as they’ve achieved far more than me. I will say though what does Lonie offer to the side. What are his strengths?

Doesn’t have elite speed
Poor foot skills
Isn’t goal smart
Isn’t strong over the ball or at the contest
Poor overhead
One sided

Surely our next best promising mid gets his game time to help develop.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lonie

Watch him kick 3 against Port next week now :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Commentators didn't seem too impressed when he took that kick for goal.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:52am Hate potting players at AFL level as they’ve achieved far more than me. I will say though what does Lonie offer to the side. What are his strengths?

Doesn’t have elite speed
Poor foot skills
Isn’t goal smart
Poor overhead
One sided

It’s tough because Lonie is better than he has played so far this season and has shown that he can sustain that form over patches.... and a few times has really looked like consistently stepping his game up. And his best... has actually been very good. Surpassed Kent’s best and is on par if not above Butler too though we haven’t seen it this year.

He’s very hard working and pbly of our 3 small forwards, the one that plays most like a true opportunistic FP that makes something out of nothing. He’s tough, and has a good sense of the play and what to do, for the most part.
His problem however is that he isn’t strong enough and his skills haven’t been great + he’s not super fast.

Like Kent, he needs to get more ball rather than hope that he can consistently kick 2-3 goals off 8 touches. It’s a poor strategy.

Look, he needs to be dropped. He’s horribly out of form... and I suspect our 3 small forward, more free, flowing game has kind of taken the gloss off his style.
Butler seems to kick most of his goals from getting into space in general plan
Kent seems to find space to mark and capitalise
Lonie historically crumbs and is more opportunistic but I don’t think we’re playing a way that favours that.

He needs to go back and add another string to his bow in terms of contribution

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

I dont recall many games we have won with him out of the side. His pressure is elite - compare his tackling efforts inside 50 to say gresham - leagues above. Due for a really good game soon. I dont think our small forwards are our problem like everyone says. We need a dominatinf big man and a better performing and more consistant midfield group.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

never stops bashing everyone around him. great pressure. like a headless chook bearing down on you - you know he can't hurt you but you don't want him near you.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Cordz2
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 1:19am never stops bashing everyone around him. great pressure. like a headless chook bearing down on you - you know he can't hurt you but you don't want him near you.
:D :D

barneyboyz
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:52am Hate potting players at AFL level as they’ve achieved far more than me. I will say though what does Lonie offer to the side. What are his strengths?

Doesn’t have elite speed
Poor foot skills
Isn’t goal smart
Poor overhead
One sided

And yet I see him more than say, Ross. I think someone needs to push him out, but would have happened by now...what about Parker?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Parker for Lonie would be interesting. Another marking forward with elite speed.
He had some very good games last year and can really hit opponents hard in contests.

Nee!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Garry Lyon just said he likes him, this morning, kind of in passing. No mention of Kent. Perhaps Lonie did better crumb8ng with Bruce and Paddy crashing into packs at the end of terrible delivery into f50, as was par for the course during the Richo years. Maybe there are less crumbs to crumb now?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He is improving significantly from his early games, as you would hope, keeps a defender nervous and creates one or two shots for goal a game - has kicked a small bag or two over the journey. Always hard at it. Seems always in a dangerous spot. We really are hard markers if we want to drop him at 4 - 3, 112% , and in the 8. And for what - bored with a so far winning season already?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:15pm Garry Lyon just said he likes him, this morning, kind of in passing. No mention of Kent. Perhaps Lonie did better crumb8ng with Bruce and Paddy crashing into packs at the end of terrible delivery into f50, as was par for the course during the Richo years. Maybe there are less crumbs to crumb now?
Garry liked Mark Neeld too :oops:

I’d like to see Matty Parker get some opportunities this year and unfortunately for Lones, I think he hasn’t done enough to retain his spot. I think Jack Sinclair could also play the role and I would’nt mind seeing Sincs getting a game in the forward pocket to see what he’s capable of

Back in the days of The G Train we had a bloke called Hamill smashing into blokes and putting fear into the eyes of defenders. We have Kent there who is surprisingly quick and can hurt with his body size and I wouldn’t mind seeing Josh Battle take a semi permanent role doing the same sort of thing. Both Kent and Battle are generally good long kicks and both can take an overhead mark.

Membrey and King are fantastic lead up forwards and could possibly play a little higher up the ground.
Lonie’s energy and enthusiasm and most of his effort is terrific, but he doesn’t impact enough with the amount of opportunities that are provided to him. He can be wasteful at times and last night he fumbled and did not stick his tackles.

Shaggy
Club Player

Before the game Roo mentioned that Lonie was number 1 in the AFL for forward pressure and Butler in top 3 and it was key reason behind the Saints high conversion rate from inside 50s.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t have elite speed
Poor foot skills
Isn’t goal smart
Poor overhead
One sided

Very poor last night. Could be on the skids. Good tackler though for his size.

Cost us a couple of goals last night which was a downer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:21pm He is improving significantly from his early games, as you would hope, keeps a defender nervous and creates one or two shots for goal a game - has kicked a small bag or two over the journey. Always hard at it. Seems always in a dangerous spot. We really are hard markers if we want to drop him at 4 - 3, 112% , and in the 8. And for what - bored with a so far winning season already?
And we should really be 6 and 1, so I take your point.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

His job is to hold the ball up, rather than in. Lonie draws the defence deeper because he converts flank entries into danger areas. He is unpredictable. When he loses the contest it looks really bad but 2nd in entries converted in the league is telling. I swear some people expect miracles and can't see any positives.

ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 1:13am Commentators didn't seem too impressed when he took that kick for goal.
He did get one with a checkside kick form the same spot a week earlier but he still he should have cleared out quickly so a right footer could curl the ball.
A curled kick is far better chance at resulting in a goal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:26pm I swear some people expect miracles and can't see any positives.

:D :)

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:29pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 1:13am Commentators didn't seem too impressed when he took that kick for goal.
He did get one with a checkside kick form the same spot a week earlier but he still he should have cleared out quickly so a right footer could curl the ball.
A curled kick is far better chance at resulting in a goal.
Should have left it for Gresham, the in form goal kicker.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
silverhalo
Club Player

I wish everyone would get off Lonie's case....he plays in possibly the most difficult on the ground and sometimes it can be feast or famine. I think we're a much better side with him there as he's opportunistic around goals, his pressure is terrific and is a bit of an x factor down there.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda have won two games without Jack Lonie over the last two years.

Both of those games were against the team ranked 18th at the time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 4:49pm St Kilda have won two games without Jack Lonie over the last two years.

Both of those games were against the team ranked 18th at the time.
What a fascinating stat (no sarcasm).