Was Last Night’s Win Our Very Best?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Was Last Night’s Win Our Very Best?

I’d like to think I take a pragmatic approach to supporting this footy team.

Always with a modicum of self restraint. Never get carried away with hyperbole or florrid language.

But that victory last night was easily our very best in recent times, maybe even in the club’s history.

Ok. Let’s break it down. Adelaide was once a St Kilda graveyard. We go there to die as a footy team. Haven’t won there in a decade etc etc. Now we’ve won there twice in a week.

But returning to last night’s game. The Power always had our measure whenever/wherever we played them. This year they’ve been going especially well. Top of the ladder with a forward line firing on all four.

Everyone expected us to lose this game and to lose badly.

Here’s why I think it was our best game. We started really well. More importantly as good as Port. We kicked accurately. Super accurately.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a st Kilda scoreline where we kicked just one solitary point and even that hit the post?

We never gave up. Never gave up. I had to say it twice because it is that significant. At 3/4 time there was a point in it. Again there would have been an expectation of us folding, like the proverbial deck of cards.

In fact, the opposite happened. It was the Power who folded. Of course we were aided by some favourable bounces of the ball but luck favours the brave and we were brave.

Hunter Clark is a gem but we knew that. Zac Jones, Brad Hill and Dean Butler make us a fast footy team. Paddy Ryder was All Australian. We are seeing glimpses. The prospect continues to shine. Dougal Howard, what a steal.

Now if you think that I am exaggerating. Contemplate this. We were plus 30 points up in the two games we lost.

Of course, we have a long way to go and there are bound to be more stumbles but last night’s win genuinely gives us reason to hope.

And that will do for the moment.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Re: Was Last Night’s Win Our Very Best?

Best since 2010

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Certainly the best win in quite a few years. Before last weeks game I thought it would be a miracle to win both of these games. Two trips to Adelaide with a five day break to play the top side. The belief the players will get from this could be season defining.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
johnearljames
Club Player

Keep the faith.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The win against GWS a few seasons ago was the the last time we, and the footy world, prematurely ejected ourselves into footy greatness.

saints66
Club Player

I was happy to see us at the end of the second and the third quarters fight like hell and defend without losing the contest
Like we did before a big turnaround very happy to call it our best game so far this year.
Keep it up fellas
Well done.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It was one of them in recent times but like the win over Richmond in 2017, I hope it's not a false dawn. We are certainly better placed with a significantly better list. I hope we have better wins ahead in 2020.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

A win is a win and it was far awsy from our best given we relied on Port not capitalizing on our many mistakes

Hopefully though it builds confidence as there are plenty of areas we need to improve

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Everything was against us last night.
  • Five day break
  • Back to back games at the Adelaide oval with feral crowds
  • travelling to and from the Sunshine Coast twice
  • Playing the team that was a game clear on top with a percentage of over 150%
Hard to think of a better win than that in recent times.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 9:36am I’d like to think I take a pragmatic approach to supporting this footy team.

Always with a modicum of self restraint. Never get carried away with hyperbole or florrid language.

But that victory last night was easily our very best in recent times, maybe even in the club’s history.

Ok. Let’s break it down. Adelaide was once a St Kilda graveyard. We go there to die as a footy team. Haven’t won there in a decade etc etc. Now we’ve won there twice in a week.

But returning to last night’s game. The Power always had our measure whenever/wherever we played them. This year they’ve been going especially well. Top of the ladder with a forward line firing on all four.

Here’s why I think it was our best game. We started really well. More importantly as good as Port. We kicked accurately. Super accurately.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a st Kilda scoreline where we kicked just one solitary point and even that hit the post?

We never gave up. Never gave up. I had to say it twice because it is that significant. At 3/4 time there was a point in it. Again there would have been an expectation of us folding, like the proverbial deck of cards.

In fact, the opposite happened. It was the Power who folded. Of course we were aided by some favourable bounces of the ball but luck favours the brave and we were brave.

Hunter Clark is a gem but we knew that. Zac Jones, Brad Hill and Dean Butler make us a fast footy team. Paddy Ryder was All Australian. We are seeing glimpses. The prospect continues to shine. Dougal Howard, what a steal.

Now if you think that I am exaggerating. Contemplate this. We were plus 30 points up in the two games we lost.

Of course, we have a long way to go and there are bound to be more stumbles but last night’s win genuinely gives us reason to hope.

In terms of accuracy, the last time a winning team kicked a solitary behind in their score was 1900 - so I'd suggest never. 18.2 against the Bombers in 1994 would be the next best, I'd wager.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I remember a previous win in Adelaide in 05 that was pretty special

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I said to workmates pre game that a loss by only a couple of goals would be ok as it wouldn’t hurt our pretty good %. I really didn’t think we’d win as Port would be strong.

Saintly66
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:18am It was one of them in recent times but like the win over Richmond in 2017, I hope it's not a false dawn. We are certainly better placed with a significantly better list. I hope we have better wins ahead in 2020.
We don’t have that turd burglar richo at the helm so we should be alright this time compared to 2017 :D

damienc
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:22am I remember a previous win in Adelaide in 05 that was pretty special
Pity we had to wait 15 years for another but worth it IMO.

damienc
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:03am The win against GWS a few seasons ago was the the last time we, and the footy world, prematurely ejected ourselves into footy greatness.
Yes but from memory we were on top of them for the whole game. This was an arm wrestle right up to the last Q. Could have gone either way but instead of capitulating we triumphed.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:00pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:22am I remember a previous win in Adelaide in 05 that was pretty special
We last won there against Port and the Crows during our 20 match winning streak in 2009.

Very hard double to do - a bit like beating Carlton and Hawthorn at Princes Park in the same season used to be.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintkid
Club Player

We also got further confirmation of a player who will be elite and one of our very best for years to come in Hunter Clark. For someone in his 3rd year and still only 21 years old, to play with so much poise and skill last night was quite special to watch!
Last edited by saintkid on Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

damienc
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:06pm
damienc wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:00pm
We last won there against Port and the Crows during our 20 match winning streak in 2009.
My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:02pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:03am The win against GWS a few seasons ago was the the last time we, and the footy world, prematurely ejected ourselves into footy greatness.
Yes but from memory we were on top of them for the whole game. This was an arm wrestle right up to the last Q. Could have gone either way but instead of capitulating we triumphed.
The win over the tigers in the Maddie game a couple of years ago sticks in my mind as not being terribly
'orrible. :wink: :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

in my top ten favourite wins i reckon.
really impressed with how we stood firm to the seige that began the third quarter. twas like the alamo, except we held them, then burst out of our stockade and wiped out the enemy. take that davy crockett - that's how you end a siege!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:16am
damienc wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 9:36am I’d like to think I take a pragmatic approach to supporting this footy team.

In terms of accuracy, the last time a winning team kicked a solitary behind in their score was 1900 - so I'd suggest never. 18.2 against the Bombers in 1994 would be the next best, I'd wager.
They are the top two in vfl/AFL history in terms of percentage of scoring shots being goals for a winning team

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Cantona7

It was a bloody good and soild win.

Port are no slouches and Adelaide Oval has always been a big issue in the last decade and we have backed a win last round with Saturday night.

Clark is getting better and better and Butler is in great form.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 6:35pm in my top ten favourite wins i reckon.
really impressed with how we stood firm to the seige that began the third quarter. twas like the alamo, except we held them, then burst out of our stockade and wiped out the enemy. take that davy crockett - that's how you end a siege!
WTF.

You wanna get us cancelled.

:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

It was a huge and one of our best. It has always annoyed me in recent years as to how we just get continually thumped when we play interstate, and how the Adelaide teams continually beat us. I think it was a big flaw in Richo's coaching in not being able to get the team hitting the ground running interstate. This is a different beast and I'm liking how things are developing.