It's Called the Asterisk Cup for a Reason

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

It's Called the Asterisk Cup for a Reason

This article perfectly highlights the significant integrity issues with the results of this season.

I am still yet to be convinced that whoever wins this years flag, assuming the season is completed, will not feel like a hollow feeling. There just is no way to compare this years flag with full strength flags.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-28/ ... n/12496526

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: It's Called the Asterisk Cup for a Reason

So you're suggesting, that in a season where the players will have shorter breaks, more travel, more mental stress, be separated from their families and friends and be physically tested like never before, the achievement of winning the premiership will have a lower value than any other?

Does that mean every season with just 18 rounds and fewer finals is worth an asterisk? Does that mean every VFL season should have an asterisk because of the lack of travel? Should the 1897 and 1942 premierships not count as there was no Grand Final? I could go on...

Every season is different and every achievement is unique. This year is different to any other, but at the end of the day there's still 18 teams desparately trying to be the best. In my opinion, winning the flag this year will be almighty achievement by whoever is good enough to do it. And if it's the Saints, if I wouldn't care if we won it on the moon in a four game season, I'll celebrate like I've always imagined I would, and the asterisk army can shove their asterisk right up their full stop.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The Asterisk Cup premiership will count except ....
If St Kilda wins it, in which case the AFL will find a way to deny us a flag.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
takeaway
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 9:12am So you're suggesting, that in a season where the players will have shorter breaks, more travel, more mental stress, be separated from their families and friends and be physically tested like never before, the achievement of winning the premiership will have a lower value than any other?

Does that mean every season with just 18 rounds and fewer finals is worth an asterisk? Does that mean every VFL season should have an asterisk because of the lack of travel? Should the 1897 and 1942 premierships not count as there was no Grand Final? I could go on...

Every season is different and every achievement is unique. This year is different to any other, but at the end of the day there's still 18 teams desparately trying to be the best. In my opinion, winning the flag this year will be almighty achievement by whoever is good enough to do it. And if it's the Saints, if I wouldn't care if we won it on the moon in a four game season, I'll celebrate like I've always imagined I would, and the asterisk army can shove their asterisk right up their full stop.
You can only play and do your best in the circumstances presented, so winning the premiership will be a significant achievement. However, I'm a member of the asterisk army - it is not the same as a normal season, and will always have an asterisk. The 1897 and I think you mean 1924 seasons DO have an asterisk on most records. The 18 round seasons mostly had 25 minute quarters plus time on, not the little sprints this year.

It is a 800 metre sprint compared to 5000 metres, and you are not even sure which track you are running on until close to the event. As has been stated the winner may not necessarily be the best team, but the team most suited to the changing draw, and which adjusts best to the circumstances.

Still hoping the Saints can go all the way, an asterisk is better than nothing at all

saintbob
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 8:59am This article perfectly highlights the significant integrity issues with the results of this season.

I am still yet to be convinced that whoever wins this years flag, assuming the season is completed, will not feel like a hollow feeling. There just is no way to compare this years flag with full strength flags.

I couldn’t give a s*** how many asterisks it had next to it, if it somehow ended up @ Moorabbin I’d be more than happy!!!
Last edited by saintbob on Tue 28 Jul 2020 9:55am, edited 2 times in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

At the end of the day there won't be any asterisk engraved on the Premiership Cup ...... not matter how desperately you want one there :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 8:59am This article perfectly highlights the significant integrity issues with the results of this season.

I get what you're saying also that article, but - I'm not sure why you need to be convinced that it's not an asterix season for it to be valid. As Benno88 mentioned above - there's many more challenges in front of the players and clubs this year than any other year. In many ways - playing everyone once makes it the most equitable season ever. I keep hearing the coaches say it'll be the most difficult of flags to win.

There's horrible inequities built into every season - blockbusters, Derbies, Showdowns, Dreamtime, Anzac Day, Anzac Eve, MCG GF to mention a few. This year - WCE will prob now play the next 6 games in a row in Perth (some as 'away' games). But Richmond played their last 8 H/A games in 2019 at the MCG. How's that different? The Vic teams are undeniably at a bigger disadvantage having to be away from their home grounds and families for a long stretch. Bris are a flag fancy and may not leave Qld for the rest of the season. The whole thing is a complete clvsterfuck but, I don't think that whoever wins it should cop an asterix.

I just think that whatever happens - we'll complete a season and there'll eventually be a Premier and that team may have ended up traveling less or more than everyone else and dealt with challenges more or less than other teams.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

No one is calling it the Asterix Cup, this is just another desperate attempt by a troll to get some legitimacy after a run of numerous L's with calls they've made about this season.

As Saintmatt pointed out above, how is this season any more compromised than any other season?

Each team playing each other only once is more legitimate (and a change many want to see in the game). Most games being at neutral venues is more legitimate.

Every club is in the same boat and every club is trying their best to win (which you would know if you watched any games) so I fail to see where the 'compromised' bit comes in?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 10:05am

I get what you're saying also that article, but - I'm not sure why you need to be convinced that it's not an asterix season for it to be valid. As Benno88 mentioned above - there's many more challenges in front of the players and clubs this year than any other year. In many ways - playing everyone once makes it the most equitable season ever. I keep hearing the coaches say it'll be the most difficult of flags to win.

There's horrible inequities built into every season - blockbusters, Derbies, Showdowns, Dreamtime, Anzac Day, Anzac Eve, MCG GF to mention a few. This year - WCE will prob now play the next 6 games in a row in Perth (some as 'away' games). But Richmond played their last 8 H/A games in 2019 at the MCG. How's that different? The Vic teams are undeniably at a bigger disadvantage having to be away from their home grounds and families for a long stretch. Bris are a flag fancy and may not leave Qld for the rest of the season. The whole thing is a complete clvsterfuck but, I don't think that whoever wins it should cop an asterix.

I just think that whatever happens - we'll complete a season and there'll eventually be a Premier and that team may have ended up traveling less or more than everyone else and dealt with challenges more or less than other teams.
It is an elite competition and one that is by design meant to be a grueling game AND season. To put the Astersik argument in context, look at it through the eyes of players from past flags. They certainly will argue their achievements were greater.

There is no doubt the players have been inconvenienced this year and from an uncertainty and logistics perspective, they have been challenged, and I'm really proud about how the boys are doing what's asked of them by their employer and that is to maintain the company line and contribute to the survival of league and club. They deserve credit for that. But believe me players are not like giddy fans, they know the difference between elite and astersik.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 10:35am

It is an elite competition and one that is by design meant to be a grueling game AND season. To put the Astersik argument in context, look at it through the eyes of players from past flags. They certainly will argue their achievements were greater.

There is no doubt the players have been inconvenienced this year and from an uncertainty and logistics perspective, they have been challenged, and I'm really proud about how the boys are doing what's asked of them by their employer and that is to maintain the company line and contribute to the survival of league and club. They deserve credit for that. But believe me players are not like giddy fans, they know the difference between elite and astersik.
What puts you in any position to speak for how players think and feel?

How many game have you watched this year?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 10:37am

All of them knuckles. Even attended games and training.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 10:39am

Nice. Glad you've conceded this season is worth a look!

Though, you're now admitting you were actively trolling all season by saying you're not watching any games because it's not the real deal?

Or are you trolling now by pretending you're watching all the games and training when you're actually not?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Silly Karren wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 8:59am This article perfectly highlights the significant integrity issues with the results of this season.

I don't see any asterisks in the attached list between compromised WW competitions between 1914 - 1919 or 1939 - 1945. https://www.afl.com.au/stats/premiership-winners

Why will there be an asterisk in 2020 outside of your feeble opinion Karen?

This year is unique for many reasons, but some equalizing situations such as each team playing each other once for the first time since the 80's at a guess???

I for one am enjoying the unique competition and would enjoy & celebrate a Saints flag in 2020 as much as I would have in 2009 or 2010, and I'm not letting whining sad sacks like you Karen diminish my entertainment.

I'm loving the 2020 saints and the challenges that are thrown to the playing, coaching and support group.

If you had had any involvement or exposure to elite sports environments you would understand that the victors this year will be hailed for their triumph under adversity more than any other memorable season.

Athletes at the AIS are constantly taken out of their comfort zones and thrown into foreign situations to learn resilience and the mental strength to perform anywhere and anytime. Its a common tool for AIS athletes to be taken late to a meet, to have their routine disrupted before performing, to have their gear not delivered, to have sleep interrupted in training blocks in order to deal with the many possible things that can go wrong when travelling and competing.

The 2020 premiership will be a battle of attrition and won by not only the best but the mentally strongest group and will be celebrated as such, perhaps interstate and not in Melbourne.

I understand stupidity is your natural fall back, but its time to peddle your obsessive negative, look at me, asterisk spamming dribble elsewhere Karen, as plenty on here are loving the 2020 saints and our chances this season. And if it all comes to a covid related end, well so be it and we'll deal with that then.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 10:44am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 10:39am

Nice. Glad you've conceded this season is worth a look!

Though, you're now admitting you were actively trolling all season by saying you're not watching any games because it's not the real deal?

Or are you trolling now by pretending you're watching all the games and training when you're actually not?
You really don't pay attention do you.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Aren't all the clubs in the same boat? Therefore it's a even comp.

Mind you All non-vic teams probably have it a little easier.

takeaway
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 9:52am At the end of the day there won't be any asterisk engraved on the Premiership Cup ...... not matter how desperately you want one there :lol:
No, I doubt that there will be an asterisk, but the cup will be 22.38% smaller than the full version

Secret Kiel
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:03am
Devilhead wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 9:52am At the end of the day there won't be any asterisk engraved on the Premiership Cup ...... not matter how desperately you want one there :lol:
No, I doubt that there will be an asterisk, but the cup will be 22.38% smaller than the full version
And there is also the expectation that many players will go out over the next month due to injury and so the players who come in will be well below AFL standard further compromising the standard.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And injuries never occur in a normal year!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I'll still be rapt if we were to win.
It will certainly be a memorable year.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

If you want asterisk cups look at '95 and by the look of it all of the Hawks 80's flags

Nee!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We were screwed since the introduction of Free Agency and the draft had been compromised with the introduction of Gold Coast and GWS.

After being on the bottom of the ladder for so many years and not being able to take full advantage, it’ll be pretty sweet if we can make finals. Don’t know if we are good enough to challenge at the pointy end, but anything’s possible

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:16am And injuries never occur in a normal year!
In full strength, years teams can bring in AFL ready players from the 2nd tier comps and maintain an AFL capable team and maintain an elite standard against the opposition.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:25am
Scollop wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:16am And injuries never occur in a normal year!
In full strength, years teams can bring in AFL ready players from the 2nd tier comps and maintain an AFL capable team and maintain an elite standard against the opposition.
Are they just giggling and playing kick to kick in the scratch matches?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:27am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:25am
Are they just giggling and playing kick to kick in the scratch matches?
From what I understand they are trying to make it count as much as possible because it is the only avenue available to being selected, but if you've ever played sport for keeps there is competition, and then there is simulation. No comparison when preparing for the elite grade. But I suppose the competition standard is devalued by at least 20% this year so match simulation could be enough to prepare you this year.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Who really cares what professional or amateur commentators think about the value of the 2020 Premiership Cup?

It is entirely a matter of personal opinion, but it says a lot about an individual's perspective on what is after all just a sporting contest!

And even though this season is unprecedented with prolonged stays in interstate hubs and 4 day breaks, there us still a competition that is there to be fought over and won.

Does any Saints supporter not rate the extraordinary victory over Port Adelaide, played in Adelaide, after a 5 day break - is that result diminished in any way by what some consider an inferior competiton??

And what about the players? Does anyone really believe that they don't have the same fierce desire to win every game this year?

I feel really sorry for those members and fans who wallow in misery and predict doom and gloom for our footy club and who regard 2020 as the * Cup - insignificant and unworthy of celebration - I for one love to see the mighty Saints climb up the ladder and watch them play better footy right now than they have for years!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist