Billings and King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Billings and King

Far be it from me to suggest they had good games today as they both were badly beaten for the majority of the match.

But credit where credit is due, the last quarter was the best for both. Billings had 9 touches or thereabouts and a goal following his 6 disposals to that point and King had 5 touches a big mark and unfortunately a bad miss after basically not getting anywhere near it.

Felt it showed a bit of character to rebound like that
Last edited by skeptic on Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings and King

Kings work on the ground was better than his work in the air today, which is a positive going forward, his marking will come.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bergsone
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:11pm Far be it from me to suggest they had good games today as they both were badly beaten for the majority of the match.

But credit where credit is due, the last quarter was the best for both. Billings had 9 touches or thereabouts and a goal after following his 6 disposals to that point and King had 5 touches a big mark and unfortunately a bad miss after basically not getting anywhere near it.

Agree,but for us to be areally good side we needed more earlier .King had chances early,Billings unsighted

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

King will be a monster.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:16pm Kings work on the ground was better than his work in the air today, which is a positive going forward, his marking will come.
King does not lead out enough.
All our big forwards clump together 15-20 metres out and get in each other's way while the defender comes over the top and spoils.
Wouldn't be so bad if he was holding 30-40% of the marks he contests.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:18pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:11pm Far be it from me to suggest they had good games today as they both were badly beaten for the majority of the match.

But credit where credit is due, the last quarter was the best for both. Billings had 9 touches or thereabouts and a goal after following his 6 disposals to that point and King had 5 touches a big mark and unfortunately a bad miss after basically not getting anywhere near it.

Agree,but for us to be areally good side we needed more earlier .King had chances early,Billings unsighted
Absolutely no question. A 4 quarter effort from Billings and King and we win by 5 goals. I just appreciate the fact that both had a dog of a day and responded when it mattered.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:20pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:16pm Kings work on the ground was better than his work in the air today, which is a positive going forward, his marking will come.
All our big forwards clump together 15-20 metres out and get in each other's way while the defender comes over the top and spoils.
The inexplicable aspect is how many times do we seem him beat his man in the contest and completely outmanoeuvre him, only to drop a sitter.

He’ll be unstoppable if he starts tackling those

johnearljames
Club Player

King has played less than 15 games in his first year of footy. He will explode next year. We are getting games into him which is fantastic for the side.

Billings looked very tired and has been big this year. He needs a well deserved rest. I would not be harsh on him.

Both contributed in the last quarter. Its all you can ask after struggling most the game.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good responses in the last quarter.

I also liked Butler and Kent's breakaway speed in the last quarter.
So fast down that wing.

Alot to like about this side.

Nee!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Andrews is a fantastic FB. Having King with his young body trying to take him on in one on one marking contests (well actually often King vs 2) was never going to end well.

I think they need to have King leading more and more often pushing out to CHF.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:41pm Good responses in the last quarter.

I also liked Butler and Kent's breakaway speed in the last quarter.
So fast down that wing.

Alot to like about this side.
Yeah totally agree after a pretty ordinary 3 quarters both kept us in the contest in the last & IMO both are a lock in the next phase of the Saints progression. We are building a decent team & the younger guys like Clark ,Coffield ,Marshall , Gresham will only get better obviously were not there yet but I'm happy with the progress this year so far

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The more I see him, the more I see King as the #1 ground level Ruckman in the comp than a key forward.

Didn't see him lose a hit out today, and his work at knee level is exceptional.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Currently Max is too wary of contact flinching sometimes before it even happens.

His mind should only be on the ball and not if contact will occur - see ball mark ball - he is no crash and bash artist but he has gotta start owning that space 5m around him

He has shown he is a one grab mark - he can do it - but I think the 2 to 3 grab fumbling that we are also seeing is due to him worrying about being hit in the contest - would be nice also if the umpires monitored the arm chopping which does occur.

He is young gangly yearling - he needs to get in the weight room and put on 10-15kg

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m not even in slightest worried about King - 1st year gets the ball kicked/bombed on top of his head weekly and still gets Hans to it; contest at ground level and contributes
Billings.......been around since 2013 draft and just goes awol way to much for mine - everyone gets excited by his class but when a guy has 5 touches to 3qtr there ain’t much class
Ratts threw him forward to try and get something in the last and he responded to his credit but let’s face it.... we are at least 2 quality midfielders away from being a top side and Billings will never play mid.... he can’t
Trade bait for mine and go hard with $$ for a big name gun plus a v good second

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If King had the space to lead into and forward delivery Hawkins gets at cats he’d kick 6 he is not going to outmuscle big defenders now I don’t know why we don’t give him forward 50 space to lead into
Every time we play cats we play dumb.....forwards all huddle 10-20 out while Harry Taylor and co pick us off with easy intercepts chip it around and clear defence......
FFS King ain’t Stewie Loewe - let the kid lead up to it !!!

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:37pm

I’m not even in slightest worried about King - 1st year gets the ball kicked/bombed on top of his head weekly and still gets Hans to it; contest at ground level and contributes
Billings.......been around since 2013 draft and just goes awol way to much for mine - everyone gets excited by his class but when a guy has 5 touches to 3qtr there ain’t much class
Ratts threw him forward to try and get something in the last and he responded to his credit but let’s face it.... we are at least 2 quality midfielders away from being a top side and Billings will never play mid.... he can’t
Billings is top 25 in league for disposals and rated top 20 for overall game (Final Siren ratings)

It is clear he is an outside mid but he also averaging close to 3 tackles a game which would be 4 in a full game - he also kicks goals and he is equal 4th on that list of top 20 players

Just because he doesn't play inside mid or doesn't start every centre bounce in the square doesn't mean he is not a mid - every player in that top 20 rating is a mid and every player in top 25 for disposals is a mid .....including Billings

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:49pm

Billings is top 25 in league for disposals and rated top 20 for overall game (Final Siren ratings)

It is clear he is an outside mid but he also averaging close to 3 tackles a game which would be 4 in a full game - he also kicks goals and he is equal 4th on that list of top 20 players

Just because he doesn't play inside mid or doesn't start every centre bounce in the square doesn't mean he is not a mid - every player in that top 20 rating is a mid and every player in top 25 for disposals is a mid .....including Billings
Billings is not a mid I don’t care what your stats say watch the game
How many times was he zipping it out of midfield today????
Zilch
He sits on a wing and goes fwd and today in desperation the coach had to throw him fwd to get something going
It’s oh so st Kilda to laud our players facts are right now we need real midfield quality - we have for one of the few times in our history a ruck duo that is giving us first use but our lack of midfield talent means much of the time it’s going to waste
Billings ain’t ever going to solve that and to get elite quality you have to give - seb Ross won’t do it
Jacks tradeable for mine and Carlyle too

“Yeah….nah””
saintbob
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:20pm
That’s not Kings fault, it’s Rattens game plan

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:55pm

Zilch
He sits on a wing and goes fwd and today in desperation the coach had to throw him fwd to get something going
It’s oh so st Kilda to laud our players facts are right now we need real midfield quality - we have for one of the few times in our history a ruck duo that is giving us first use but our lack of midfield talent means much of the time it’s going to waste
Billings ain’t ever going to solve that and to get elite quality you have to give - seb Ross won’t do it
Not sure what planet you are living on but a wingman is considered an outside running mid in this day and age

Think you need to get your head out of "only players that are named in the ruck ruckrover rover centre positions are mids pre-90s era :lol:

Not a huge fan of Seb but he did a good job on Neale today ..... problem with Seb is when he gets the ball

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 11:17pm

Zilch
Not sure what planet you are living on but a wingman is considered an outside running mid in this day and age

Think you need to get your head out of "only players that are named in the ruck ruckrover rover centre positions are mids pre-90s era :lol:

Not a huge fan of Seb but he did a good job on Neale today ..... problem with Seb is when he gets the ball
Ah sorry Mr Modern
You see I normally just like my “mids” to get a midfield possession.......heck a clearance or two while they’re at it if I’m really honest!
I’ll leave the starting position whiteboard magnets with you to sort out...
Perhaps we can offer seb Ross for those gun mids that we need who apparently are going to come for free while their clubs request nothin in return....
Maybe we can offer up Gears as a “modern mid”...... I mean in “today’s game” what position you play doesn’t matter......we are all mids apparently!! :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Zilch
Agree on Carlisle.
JB had a bad day...even Bont or Cripps has bad days....still nearly won it for us in the last Quarter

Nee!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 11:28pm

Zilch
Agree on Carlisle.
JB had a bad day...even Bont or Cripps has bad days....still nearly won it for us in the last Quarter
JB was our equal 4th highest for disposals all while trying to shake a hard tag - if that's a bad day then not sure what our other players were doing

Shame some are trying to scapegoat him for our loss

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 11:42pm
fugazi wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 11:28pm

Zilch
Agree on Carlisle.
JB was our equal 4th highest for disposals all while trying to shake a hard tag - if that's a bad day then not sure what our other players were doing

Shame some are trying to scapegoat him for our loss
Jack Billings had 5 disposals to 3qtr time while the Lions (thankfully) we’re happily missing goals
All from a supposed superstar in his prime that you’re telling me is going to go past J Kelly who actually IS a mid?
Anyhoo....gotta give to get

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 11:49pm Jack Billings had 5 disposals to 3qtr time while the Lions (thankfully) we’re happily missing goals
All from a supposed superstar in his prime that you’re telling me is going to go past J Kelly who actually IS a mid?
Anyhoo....gotta give to get
Robbing Peter to pay Paul all for 3 more disposals a game and less goals ...... and likely one less 1st rounder cause as you say Kelly is way superior than Billings

GWS will ask for the absolute world for a contracted Kelly ...... not sure why you don't get this

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I cant believe Billings let us down so badly - he must be scapegoated

He is the one we must blame for our 2pts loss to a 95% full strength Top 2 Bears (missing Rich) at the GABBA where they have won 14 out of there last 16 games.