Paddy, fit and symptom free.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Paddy, fit and symptom free.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... f6b0156c12

"Paddy McCartin’s brother Tom says the ex-Saint is ready to return to footy in 2021 after fully recovering from his concussion symptoms that saw him forced from the game after eight serious head knocks.

Paddy McCartin is free of all concussion symptoms and adamant he will return to football next year, according to younger brother Tom McCartin.

Sydney key forward McCartin said his St Kilda forward brother had made dramatic progress since agreeing to be delisted by St Kilda as part of a plan to reassess his health at the end of 2020.

Not only is he back running after headaches so bad he could barely leave his house, his work doing gruelling brain exercises has alleviated many of his concussion symptoms.

Former No. 1 pick Paddy said recently despite eight concussions he could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

While some might question whether McCartin is endangering himself by returning to football, his brother told the Herald Sun his love for the game would see him return.

“Paddy is going really well at the minute. He has obviously had a tough 12 months and he’s been super resilient over the last 10-12 months. He is back running, feeling good, feeling happy and feeling fit so he’s flying around. He’s keen to get back in 2021,” Tom said.

“He is back to normal and living a normal life. 12 months ago if you listened to his (Triple M) interview he was struggling to do much at all, not leaving the house and he’s back to living a normal life, which is great.”

“He was seeing a bloke three times a week retraining his brain and I remember him saying it was harder than any pre-season training session he had done, so much concentration and it goes for 5 or 6 hours at a time, it’s pretty full on but he’s only seeing him every three weeks so it’s going well.”

The 20-year-old admits it was tough to hear his brother talk in such forensic detail about how he could barely drive a car or go to the supermarket during the depths of his concussion symptoms.

In that interview McCartin said he was a “shell” of the person he had once been and stated he had lost his “identity” as a person and footballer.

McCartin is working one day a week at a Melbourne diabetes foundation as a type-one diabetic but mostly able to work on his health and fitness.

“It was sad (listening to that interview), especially being up here. I don’t really get to see him that often. It’s great that he felt like he could open up and tell everyone how he was feeling.

“But for a bit there it was tough because I knew he was struggling but he’s one of the strongest blokes I know

“I knew he was going to be fine and he had good support around him with his girlfriend Lucy.

It has been tough (watching on). It‘s more tough with the concussions.

“I am not too fazed with how he’s going (with his form), it’s more how he’s feeling. If he’s feeling flat that’s the main thing I care about. As long as he’s back feeling happy and feeling confident I am happy. And I am just glad to see him back on track.”

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy, fit and symptom free.

This is good news for Paddy

As a supporter:
I want a fit Paddy playing in a Half Forward role - his field kicking was delightful and if he can avoid concussions - McCartin to King will be an oft heard phrase.

As a parent:
I would never ask my son to play on after what he has been through.

Torn!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Good news for Paddy.
Now go away and get a real life.
You are a menace anywhere near a football club.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
TheSkippe

Does anyone know what happened with the AFL/Club investigation into how he bludged his way through pre-season concussion tests in order to trick medical staff and make himself available for selection?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 9f43ab5a61

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Symptom free... until the first contest where a defender brushes passed him.

Move on Paddy and St Kilda 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 6:39pm Symptom free... until the first contest where a defender brushes passed him.

Says a poster who probably has never had a dream. :roll:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... until the first contest where a defender brushes passed him.
:P

stop it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 4:28pm This is good news for Paddy

As a supporter:
I want a fit Paddy playing in a Half Forward role - his field kicking was delightful and if he can avoid concussions - McCartin to King will be an oft heard phrase.

As a parent:
I would never ask my son to play on after what he has been through.

Torn!
Spot on

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 6:45pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 6:39pm Symptom free... until the first contest where a defender brushes passed him.

Oh well, if he has a dream then that’s totally different!

:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 7:39pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 6:45pm

Oh well, if he has a dream then that’s totally different!

:roll:
It is for Paddy to decide if he ever sets foot on a football field again with a view to playing.

In fact, it is none of your f****** business.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I wish Paddy all the best with whatever he chooses to do but I'm with Sainter_ Dad if he was my son I would not want him to be playing footy

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he could be a bubble boy...........................................................moops

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 8:09pm Maybe he could be a bubble boy...........................................................moops
Moors

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I can't see any AFL club drafting Paddy , whenever the drafts are held for next season, way too risky.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
asiu
Saintsational Legend

ummmmm

i think we have a gentleman's agreement
to re-list him
if he can get his shite together

every one else will pass
we’ll take him with a pick in the 70 -100 range

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Gee an immanent return of a marking forward would be a salivating prospect for Ratts.

on the outer
Club Player

I assume that each time Paddy was selected he was “fit and symptom free”. The issue not his fitness it’s his susceptibility to concussion.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Great for Paddy, but wouldnt like to see him back on our list.

The Recruit
Club Player

he is better than McKenzie

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Dan is over the Cameron and Betts experiences inflicted by AR and been rehabilitated. Surely there is a place for him in a team that has lost 3 of last 4. Stereotyping players can unfairly stuff careers.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Crazy to think Paddy would risk his long term future to come back and play

There is no magic pill for concussion issues

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

AFL players can earn a lot of money in a short period of time.

However, if he was in any doubt, the story about Danny Frawley suffering CTE - Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy - should lead Paddy to one conclusion.

I wish him all the best in his non-AFL playing future.

Sanctorum
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 10:14am AFL players can earn a lot of money in a short period of time.

However, if he was in any doubt, the story about Danny Frawley suffering CTE - Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy - should lead Paddy to one conclusion.

I wish him all the best in his non-AFL playing future.
So true perfectionist, I believe that the clubs and AFL, as well as the AFLPA, need to take far more care than they do now to advise players who have suffered multiple concussions to consider early retirement, and assist them to choose post-football career paths, and to stand by them and provide continued support as long as that is needed.

Paddy McCartin's situation is terribly sad and I can understand that he is really keen to resume his AFL career. As much as he believes that he has regained all his mental faculties, medical science, as elicited in Danny Frawley's post-mortem, suggests that later on in life he may well suffer serious health issues that may not be apparent today.

Given his on-field record, the odds of him avoiding another serious head knock are not good and could prove far more devastating for his psyche than the thrill he may get by playing on.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Do St Kilda do Baseline Tests on all players before every season?

See this;

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases- ... oncussion/

Baseline Evaluations

Because it is difficult to determine when a concussion has fully healed, baseline neurocognitive evaluation is an important tool for assessing whether it is safe for an athlete to return to play. Before the sports season starts, each athlete takes a computerized test that measures brain functions, such as memory and reaction time. If an athlete later has a concussion, post-injury tests can be compared to the baseline evaluation to measure the severity of the concussion and help doctors monitor healing.
In addition, pre-season evaluations can help identify athletes who have had previous, unrecognized concussions and who are at risk for repeat concussions. For example, past injuries to the face or neck may have been accompanied by an unrecognized concussion.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
TheSkippe

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 3:37pm Do St Kilda do Baseline Tests on all players before every season?

See this;

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases- ... oncussion/

Baseline Evaluations

Because it is difficult to determine when a concussion has fully healed, baseline neurocognitive evaluation is an important tool for assessing whether it is safe for an athlete to return to play. Before the sports season starts, each athlete takes a computerized test that measures brain functions, such as memory and reaction time. If an athlete later has a concussion, post-injury tests can be compared to the baseline evaluation to measure the severity of the concussion and help doctors monitor healing.
In addition, pre-season evaluations can help identify athletes who have had previous, unrecognized concussions and who are at risk for repeat concussions. For example, past injuries to the face or neck may have been accompanied by an unrecognized concussion.
You can see from here the AFL does and St Kilda does. But they are only as accurate as the patient lets them be

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 9f43ab5a61