There’s a pigheadedness about Ratten I don’t like

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

There’s a pigheadedness about Ratten I don’t like

Clearly crying out for another marking tall back like Carlisle...
We looked our best with him and Howard in the backline. Also gave us some flexibility with Battle

Small Forward’agetton - it has been a dismal strategy all year and we’ve doubled down yet again.
Lonie, Butler, Kent and Hind playing tonight
Kent unsighted as he had been for most of the last month
Hind struggling as he has been also for about a month
Butler spending his credits as he’s been watched more closely
Lonie... done ok’ish tonight

What do these guys offer when we’re struggling in the middle, none influence play at all. As I’ve said so many times before,.. picking the most restricted limited players is a LOSER strategy

I reckon since the Geelong game where we should have rested players, this non-form based selections have sunk us.
Hated it with Richo... hate it now.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: There’s a pigheadedness about Ratten I don’t like

Just going to add... having so many stagnant players it slows ball movement.

2min into the final quarter and we’re moving the ball fast and we’ve kicked 2 goal.

Need guys that get the ball and run

longtimesaint
Club Player

Why do we recall Hind after he was dropped for three very poor weeks?
Kent did nothing as well.
We need some more class players.

One year will be our year
stkfc1
Club Player

I just can't see what they're trying to achieve with all the small types. If one has a bad game you'd expect one or two of the others to impact but none of them are. Butler has gone cold. Kent and Hind unsighted. Lonie did some ok things but nothing special. So what does that leave the rest of the team. We are crying out for midfield talent. We're a B grade midfield at best. I'd like to see what Ratts is saying to the players about game style because while effort is there our structure and ball movement is terrible.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Our bottom six is proving to be rubbish.

Kent, Hind... Really its curtains. They dont have enough to offer.

8 points up with what? Six minutes to go. And they LOSE BY FIFTEEN.

Too many passengers. Everyone can say how undermanned WCE were, but we went in without six players as well.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

WCE midfield lead by Kelly & Nic Nat in the last won that game. Plus we couldnt score when we did get it forward.

portosaint
Club Player

Let's bring on the excuses.

We are rotten. We don't deserve to play finals football. The selection and coaching, while being defended by some, beggars belief.

We play a predictable, unimaginative style that even the worst of teams has figured out. And we've played it week after week. Fighting hard for goals that come so easy to well structured teams.

We are young and we have time... But for crying out loud, play a game that is built for success. What we are doing is unsustainable no matter how good we think we are

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigred wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 10:44pm Our bottom six is proving to be rubbish.

Too many passengers. Everyone can say how undermanned WCE were, but we went in without six players as well.
We didn’t go in so much with 6 players short .. we went in with a dumb strategy of kicking it high to the best pair of intercept marking defenders in the game. Even when 1 went off ..l we persisted.

Why we didn’t play Port’s dirty ball and skid it in is beyond me. The only time we looked dangerous was when the ball was on the ground.

Moronic coaching

Go you red, black & white warriors
CarlD
Club Player

Couldn’t see what moves were made to quieten Kelly who kept getting the ball all night. He hasn’t been playing to his Geelong form for most of the season but was allowed to turn it on tonight.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Honestly.

The way supporters on here quickly throw the baby out with the bath water never ceases to amaze me.

WCE are a team many consider a flag chance. We were a chance of making the eight and are learning on the fly.

If we kicked accurately we win.

Reset your expectations and you'll find the game a lot more enjoyable. Still disappointing to lose but part of the journey and they'll learn from it.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nobhead
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 10:53pm Honestly.

The way supporters on here quickly throw the baby out with the bath water never ceases to amaze me.

WCE are a team many consider a flag chance. We were a chance of making the eight and are learning on the fly.

Reset your expectations and you'll find the game a lot more enjoyable. Still disappointing to lose but part of the journey and they'll learn from it.
With all due respect its too easy to say if we kick accurately we win .our ball movement tonight was non exisistant tonight how many times did we kick long to a contest ? .no overlap run if your picking a side with hind ,kent, butler and lonie you need to move the ball quickly to your forwards and give them a chance to compete 1 on 1 .that 1st half our forward line was so crowded by the time we got it in there we had no hope of scoring.selection and system hurting us badly imo.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Im sick of f****** losing.

Im sick of watching s*** football.

Im sick of watching s*** clubs win premierships.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I was not a Richo fan, I was very happy with the Ratten appointment.

I am losing faith quickly...

How do we get someone to ask the obvious question to him? What is our gameplan, why do we continue to bomb it long week after week when it doesn’t work???

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 10:06pm Clearly crying out for another marking tall back like Carlisle...
We looked our best with him and Howard in the backline. Also gave us some flexibility with Battle

Small Forward’agetton - it has been a dismal strategy all year and we’ve doubled down yet again.

What do these guys offer when we’re struggling in the middle, none influence play at all. As I’ve said so many times before,.. picking the most restricted limited players is a LOSER strategy

I reckon since the Geelong game where we should have rested players, this non-form based selections have sunk us.
I understand the frustration but I think we are very restricted on what changes we can make and what players we can bring in.

I think we need a bit of a cleanout and we also need to rejig some players roles as well as bringing in 2 or 3 players from other clubs.

I also think we have been worked out and the response has been very ordinary.

I'm not sure making the 8 under these circumstances will be a good thing for the club. We may still beat GWS and make it. I'm expecting that we will. I'm also expecting to not do well in the one final we play in.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

There is no place for Geary in that backline but they gift him a game because he is captain.
He should be backup.

We need to get more out of smalls.
Kent, Hind, Lonie only one needed along with Butler, the others are backup.

Ross and Billings need to contribute on a regular basis not occassionally.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
portosaint
Club Player

Open your eyes. We are losing winnable games. That's the frustration. The players should learn. The coaches should learn. But will they?

For too long mediocrity has been accepted by this football club. We have been in a position to make a stand. And we have let ourselves down.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Lost a very winnable game again. Is it the coach ,the game plan ,the players or a combination of all or are we just not good enough ATM

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Very stagnant forward line so readable to other teams,Membrey is the only one who presents for a lead & looks the part poor Max is expected to out mark 3/4 blokes,if Kent & Hind are in the side at least use their pace to get on the lead now & again !

PADDLEPOP1000
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It's taken Ratts since Gresham went down for him the realise that Hunter Clark might give us a spark in the middle.

Gives us something to look forward to next season at least.

Cordz2
Club Player

👍🏻

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:15pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 10:06pm Clearly crying out for another marking tall back like Carlisle...

I understand the frustration but I think we are very restricted on what changes we can make and what players we can bring in.

I think we need a bit of a cleanout and we also need to rejig some players roles as well as bringing in 2 or 3 players from other clubs.

I'm not sure making the 8 under these circumstances will be a good thing for the club. We may still beat GWS and make it. I'm expecting that we will. I'm also expecting to not do well in the one final we play in.
No offence, but any supporter who thinks it’s not good if we make the eight under the current circumstances needs their head read.

We haven’t played finals for 8 consecutive seasons!

My 16 year old daughter can barely remember us playing finals.

We all know the likelihood of an elimination finals thrashing is high. So f****** what? At least we can tick the “finalists” box.

It grates me to the core missing finals for so many years in a row. The new players all need finals experience to grow and improve.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Needed another tall in Carlisle to play on Darling.
Wilkie is no centre half back but he can take a third semi-tall.

But the selectors needed to gift Geary a place in defence so Carlisle was left out and Coffield sacrificed against Darling.
Playing the captain when he is the weakness is pig headed.
Coffield would have been so much better value if he did not have to guard Darling

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:32pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:15pm

No offence, but any supporter who thinks it’s not good if we make the eight under the current circumstances needs their head read.

We haven’t played finals for 8 consecutive seasons!

My 16 year old daughter can barely remember us playing finals.

We all know the likelihood of an elimination finals thrashing is high. So f****** what? At least we can tick the “finalists” box.

It grates me to the core missing finals for so many years in a row. The new players all need finals experience to grow and improve.
As opposed to someone who posts under multiple user names. :shock: :)

I want to play finals and agree, it's important.

I just hope it doesn't stop the club making the hard decisions it needs to make.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Hack
Club Player

Bytel would have been very handy tonight, not even an emergency. Shocking selections, been costing us games

realdeal
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 10:48pm
bigred wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 10:44pm Our bottom six is proving to be rubbish.

We didn’t go in so much with 6 players short .. we went in with a dumb strategy of kicking it high to the best pair of intercept marking defenders in the game. Even when 1 went off ..l we persisted.

Why we didn’t play Port’s dirty ball and skid it in is beyond me. The only time we looked dangerous was when the ball was on the ground.

Moronic coaching
But that strategy worked so well against Melbourne........ Oh.....