Satan and Gags' real test is looming large

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Satan and Gags' real test is looming large

They must land at least one of the big FA's this year if we are going to take the next step.

A dream result IMHO would be to gain Zak Williams and Crouch as Free Agents and somehow get Caldwell without using our FRDP.

Am I dreaming?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Satan and Gags' real test is looming large

Big FA's?

It is a very lean year for big (as in gun) FA's.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A very lean year for FAs and we don't have the war chest this year to chase them so what is plan B. The money that assisted cubs can usually throw around is being reduced significantly. Also the days of paying out incomplete contracts is also going to berestricted. This is going to have a significant correction of the player market.

The unassisted clubs dont have any restrictions so expext FAs and players chasing big bucks to all go to those clubs.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 3:23pm A very lean year for FAs and we don't have the war chest this year to chase them so what is plan B. The money that assisted cubs can usually throw around is being reduced significantly. Also the days of paying out incomplete contracts is also going to berestricted. This is going to have a significant correction of the player market.

The unassisted clubs dont have any restrictions so expext FAs and players chasing big bucks to all go to those clubs.
What is the difference between the 'assisted' and 'unassisted' club's salary caps?

Every club has the same salary cap with the same conditions that is paid wholly by the AFL and not at all by the clubs.

I love you to further enlighten us with your insights SK.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:58pm They must land at least one of the big FA's this year if we are going to take the next step.

A dream result IMHO would be to gain Zak Williams and Crouch as Free Agents and somehow get Caldwell without using our FRDP.

Am I dreaming?
Simple answer yes.

Caldwell will cost us our first round draft pick...maybe with a third rounder coming back to us.

Williams is off to the Roos and Crouch is a potato
Last edited by saynta on Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 3:23pm A very lean year for FAs and we don't have the war chest this year to chase them so what is plan B. The money that assisted cubs can usually throw around is being reduced significantly. Also the days of paying out incomplete contracts is also going to berestricted. This is going to have a significant correction of the player market.

I have noticed that many of your post do not make sense. This is another example. Whether a club has sought assistance this year due to COVID-19 has nothing to do with the Salary Cap.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saynta wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:23pm

Williams is off to the Roos and Couch is a potato
A couch potato??

A Crouch potato perhaps??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SaintPelican66
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:58pm They must land at least one of the big FA's this year if we are going to take the next step.

Am I dreaming?
Simple answer yes.

Caldwell will cost us our first round draft pick...maybe with a third rounder coming back to us.

I can dream!!!

Getting both Williams and Crouch in the door through FA might be very unlikely but not impossible.
Crouch is not a potato and would definitely be a starting mid in our team.
It's unlikely we could get Caldwell without giving up our FRDP however if we got a little creative with players and later picks then who knows what we might be able to get over the line!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:31pm

A couch potato??

A Crouch potato perhaps??
oops. fixed

Maybe that is what i was thinking anyway. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

ace
Saintsational Legend

Am I dreaming?
Simple answer yes.

What's the difference between a Crouch Potato and Couch Potato ?
One can play football, I can't.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:30pm

I have noticed that many of your post do not make sense. This is another example. Whether a club has sought assistance this year due to COVID-19 has nothing to do with the Salary Cap.
Good to see you catching on quick here SP66!

Vortex/Secret Kiel/etc likes making grand negative statements about the AFL but rarely can/is willing to back them up with actual evidence. This goes back to the start of the season where he put all his chips in the "sky is falling" narrative regarding the AFL, and is desperately still trying to justify it.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a clarification from him on his above claims.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:44pm

Am I dreaming?
Simple answer yes.

What's the difference between a Crouch Potato and Couch Potato ?
One can play football, I can't.
:wink: :D :lol: 8-)

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:34pm

Am I dreaming?
Simple answer yes.

I can dream!!!

Getting both Williams and Crouch in the door through FA might be very unlikely but not impossible.
Crouch is not a potato and would definitely be a starting mid in our team.
It's unlikely we could get Caldwell without giving up our FRDP however if we got a little creative with players and later picks then who knows what we might be able to get over the line!!
Crouch is a good footballer but not an $800K player and that's what will be required in order to get him as that's the $ number that will trigger Adl getting a comp pick. Otherwise, they've already said they'll match the bid and force a trade. Crouch will end up at Geelong.

Zac Williams has already nominated Carlton today so, he's off there. They have way bigger issues though - they need help for Cripps - not a HBF or outside mid.

I'm very happy paying our first pick (which will now slide 2 extra spots due to Crouch and Williams compo picks) for Caldwell and if we get a 3rd rounder back - even better.

Go you red, black & white warriors
ace
Saintsational Legend

GWS had received the pick 9 in the 2018 draft as part of the Dylan Shiel trade to Essendon.
That slipped from no 9 to no 10 due to free agency compensation to Gold Coast for the loss of Tom Lynch to Richmond.
They went into the 2018 draft with pick no 10 (commonly known as the indicative order).
Jye Caldwell went to GWS at pick 11 because North queue jumped for the Next Generation Academy player Tarryn Thomas forcing Adelaide to pick again.
Essendon had received the pick originally for finishing 11th.

St Kilda's first round pick for the 2020 draft is yet to be determined but it can not start any better than pick 12 (finishing 8th in the finals)
Gold Coast was given pick no 10 as a priority pick which they have already traded to Geelong.
When it is known the starting pick will then be demoted by free agency compensations and queue jumping.
A lot of queue jumping is expected this draft.

If GWS releases Caldwell for our 2020 first round pick it will be because of salary cap issues or they no longer rate him as highly as when they picked him.
We should be prepared to add a later pick to our first round pick.
We already have Sydney's 2020 fourth round pick and Port Adelaide's 2020 fourth round pick still in the bank and could access our some but not all of our 2021 picks.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
sks023
Club Player

Am I dreaming?
Simple answer yes.

Crouch potato! I love it
I know he has injurie issues but Fantasia would be a good pickup

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Now saying Williams is off to the blue baggers.. more fool him.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 21 Sep 2020 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Crouch wants too much money. Also, I put a big question mark on his kicking. We finally have a list that can kick. Dont stuff that up.

Caldwell is like a first rounder with a year of dev already into him. He's played what, ten games? Would surely take a first rounder. At best we might see a third rounder back with the player.

We most definitely need a midfielder. A gun midfielder would be ideal.

I can see us taking Zac's brother for a year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPelican66
Club Player

ace wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 5:26pm GWS had received the pick 9 in the 2018 draft as part of the Dylan Shiel trade to Essendon.
That slipped from no 9 to no 10 due to free agency compensation to Gold Coast for the loss of Tom Lynch to Richmond.
They went into the 2018 draft with pick no 10 (commonly known as the indicative order).
Jye Caldwell went to GWS at pick 11 because North queue jumped for the Next Generation Academy player Tarryn Thomas forcing Adelaide to pick again.
Essendon had received the pick originally for finishing 11th.

St Kilda's first round pick for the 2020 draft is yet to be determined but it can not start any better than pick 12 (finishing 8th in the finals)
Gold Coast was given pick no 10 as a priority pick which they have already traded to Geelong.
When it is known the starting pick will then be demoted by free agency compensations and queue jumping.
A lot of queue jumping is expected this draft.

If GWS releases Caldwell for our 2020 first round pick it will be because of salary cap issues or they no longer rate him as highly as when they picked him.
We should be prepared to add a later pick to our first round pick.
We already have Sydney's 2020 fourth round pick and Port Adelaide's 2020 fourth round pick still in the bank and could access our some but not all of our 2021 picks.
Well personally I hope we outbid Geelong and take Crouch. FA’s are where you can make gains on the competition because as we all know it doesn’t cost draft picks. Backend his contract so it doesn’t stop us from getting another FA next year. At the very least by offering more than Geelong it forces them to pay more so it stuffs their SC. It’s the least we can do to them considering the pick they gave us for Steven plus they made us pay half his wage. I hate those arseholes.

ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 6:19pm Well personally I hope we outbid Geelong and take Crouch. FA’s are where you can make gains on the competition because as we all know it doesn’t cost draft picks. Backend his contract so it doesn’t stop us from getting another FA next year. At the very least by offering more than Geelong it forces them to pay more so it stuffs their SC. It’s the least we can do to them considering the pick they gave us for Steven plus they made us pay half his wage. I hate those arseholes.
I think you may have confused ar5eholes with the substance that comes out of them.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

I'm very happy paying our first pick (which will now slide 2 extra spots due to Crouch and Williams compo picks) for Caldwell and if we get a 3rd rounder back - even better.
hmmmmmmmm

you’d have to be happy with that

see ya later frdp
... whats the point of hanging onto that
at this stage of our journey

we need legs now

why is everyone thinking we can get this lad ?
(with 2 years in the system done n dusted)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

We can only see what quality is available. No point going after players who won't improve us. That goes for midfielders too, do get them just because they're mids, they need to be winners. And don't sell the farm for them. If we're half as good as the last trade period I'll take it.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I don’t like the idea of paying overs (in terms of salary). Looking at Shiel, he’s a good player, but if we were paying him 1.3 mill (or whatever we were offering) I don’t think it would be worth it.
I’d rather throw that at two players with upside ie the next Steele.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

asiu wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 7:01pm
hmmmmmmmm

you’d have to be happy with that

see ya later frdp
... whats the point of hanging onto that
at this stage of our journey

we need legs now

why is everyone thinking we can get this lad ?
(with 2 years in the system done n dusted)
He’s out of contract, grew up in Bendigo barracking for the Saints, Gubby has good tentacles into understand GWS’ salary cap issues, wants to play midfield and is a long way back at GWS from doing that, GWS has cap space probs and we can pay plus give him a decent length contract.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm not at all sure that Jye Caldwell would command a FRDP after playing just 11 games in 2 years, more likely next year's SRDP will do the trick.

I am loathe to speculate on which if any of St Kilda's 21 players coming lout of contract this year might be offered in any deals for Caldwell, that might be of interest to GWS.....(thinking.....if they need on-field leadership St Kilda has someone who could well fill the bill for them, it would be a fair swap :twisted:)

It has been reported that GWS is facing big cap issues and they're very keen to hang on to Jeremy Cameron who is RFA this year. Then there are another 18 including Williams and Caldwell who are also out of contract that they have to make decisions on.

GWS currently has the following draft picks in 2020: 28, 46, 66, 82, 100

Whacko the Chook, we can look forward to some really exciting end of year trading, should be fascinating!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the herald sun.com.au

Jon Ralph Q and A session:

"Toby
1:38 PM
Saints said they have a ‘war chest’ earlier this year, but they don’t seem to be linked to many names outside Caldwell? Desperate for some mid depth, what do you see them doing?
1 reply
J
Jon Ralph
1:39 PM
The Saints were keen on Crouch but he seems off to Geelong. Caldwell is a contender, but remember we have 6 weeks before the trade period. And 300 players out of contract. So not to be deliberately vague because I don't know who else is around but you can guarantee they have a white-board of names and only last year they got who they wanted and with expert management of their picks to maximise it.
The lesser-known name in Dougal Howard got serious coin but he's been a seriously influential defender for them. So back in those guys again"

Well said Ralphy.