Fantastic...but...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkev
Club Player

Fantastic...but...

We’ve gotta do something about final quarter fade-outs!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fantastic...but...

The Dogs just moved the ball too easy out of their defence- our forward and midfield defensive games were pretty ordinary tonight, but especially in the last. Thank gawd for a good 3rd quarter.

StPeter
Club Player

The high I was feeling at 3/4 time definitely deflated a little by last quarter fade-out and more so by the injury to Paddy.
Last edited by StPeter on Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

It's mindset. We went into the final quarter intent on just wasting time whereas we should have continued to play the same way that got us the lead. Simple as that.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The Dogs also threw their gameplan out the window and just went for broke.

We’ll learn from it, which is the main thing 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:29pm It's mindset. We went into the final quarter intent on just wasting time whereas we should have continued to play the same way that got us the lead. Simple as that.
I think this is right to a degree

In the second and third quarters we were counter punching and punishing them.

Seemed like we didn’t do that in the final quarter

saintkev
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:31pm The Dogs also threw their gameplan out the window and just went for broke.

We’ll learn from it, which is the main thing 👍
Hopefully, but this is the third it’s happened this year!🤞

SaintPelican66
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:40pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:29pm It's mindset. We went into the final quarter intent on just wasting time whereas we should have continued to play the same way that got us the lead. Simple as that.

Have a look at the first 7 minutes of the last quarter. They were intent on just wasting time. This meant that the ball was constantly in the Dullbogs forward half. Once they got a goal the pressure started mounting on us and their confidence grew. We should have attacked from the start of the last quarter and we would have won by 40 points IMHO.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Our mids didn't chase hard enough in the last- just cruised. We won't get away with it again, but hey we won the first final- a few more wins to get the cup!!

Peanut Farm
Club Player

It would have been all over had Billings kicked that goal. As soon as it hit the post they ran it down the filed and that's when momentum changed very quickly.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic to win but they had 51 inside 50's to our 35. You won't hold out the top teams with that amount of opportunity.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Quiet game from Steele, will be huge against Tigers

Nee!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 11:57pm Quiet game from Steele, will be huge against Tigers
And Billings....again

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

FOX are reviewing our game in a couple of mins.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I dunno, would you prefer to be four goals down and have to try to storm home?

Two teams out there, both of them trying to win. Of course they were going to come back at us. They are a good side in very good form.

In a way it’s easier to be slightly behind and you can go for broke. That’s what the Bulldogs did - with a fair bit of help from the umpires.

We held them off and were deserved winners.

realdeal
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:56pm

Have a look at the first 7 minutes of the last quarter. They were intent on just wasting time. This meant that the ball was constantly in the Dullbogs forward half. Once they got a goal the pressure started mounting on us and their confidence grew. We should have attacked from the start of the last quarter and we would have won by 40 points IMHO.
Exactly. Ok for a few mins but we saw what happened when we got it thru, Geary goal..

Kent didnt look upto it today..

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:56pm

I don't know whether we would have won by 40 but I do agree with the yellow highlighted quote. It's ok to slow down the tempo, but there is a limit and you can overdo the defensive sideways crap.

You are inviting trouble when you try and play defensively for half a fricken quarter. It's the reason TossLyonn teams lost finals.

The best pressure is scoreboard pressure

saint-stu
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote:It's mindset. We went into the final quarter intent on just wasting time whereas we should have continued to play the same way that got us the lead. Simple as that.
It was absolutely this. We let the dogs back into the game and once we handed them the momentum, they almost pinched it. Exactly the same as the Freo game except this time we managed to hold in.

The saints rarely have comfortable wins where we can relax. I wish they would keep playing attacking until maybe the last 5 minutes.

1ac46a38
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintkev wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 9:12pm We’ve gotta do something about final quarter fade-outs!
Becoming more than a habit.
Opponents showing more desperation for the ball.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Coffield had a few fumbles during the game, but 4 or 5 big marks in our D50 in the last quarter were pure gold.
Lucky for us, he stood tall in the last.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 03 Oct 2020 10:01pm Our mids didn't chase hard enough in the last- just cruised. We won't get away with it again, but hey we won the first final- a few more wins to get the cup!!
No hanners didn't help.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 10:04am Coffield had a few fumbles during the game, but 4 or 5 big marks in our D50 in the last quarter were pure gold.
Lucky for us, he stood tall in the last.
Like a few, he will benefit so much from the experience. I loved that he was still going for the marks in the last quarter and grabbing a few. To me it shows that he didn’t lose confidence. He’ll only improve from here.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I was downstairs fixing my motorbike in the apartments car parks. iPad on my seat, watching on WatchAFL, an app available to people overseas. We were 26, then 25, 24, 23 points up. I had Max HOUGHTON on my mind thanks to reading a post here, and the year 2000 - and our losses to North and Freo this year, and the commentators last night saying Richmond have never hauled back a big losing score line in the last. I wondered if the Saints players erroneously thought the same applied to them. I had the battle of Normandy from History channel, where the Germans had the Allies of far greater numerical strength kind of netted up in a narrow sector for a month or so, before the inevitable dam wall broke.

I needed a tool, so I went upstairs to get it. I took my time. Filled with dread. I was ashamed but just could not face it. By the time I got downstairs, a took a big gulp of air, resent the ipad, and we were three points up. It’s happening I thought.

Whew.

...and they missed an easy set shot too.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

100%
Against Giants, we had em on the ropes.
Roughy spoke to Hodge at 3/4 time on camera and said 'let's have some fun, we're 4 goals up and let's get some more'

But with that last goal we got yesterday, it seemed the team was just running down the clock

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sanctorum
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 3:17am I dunno, would you prefer to be four goals down and have to try to storm home?

Two teams out there, both of them trying to win. Of course they were going to come back at us. They are a good side in very good form.

In a way it’s easier to be slightly behind and you can go for broke. That’s what the Bulldogs did - with a fair bit of help from the umpires.

We held them off and were deserved winners.
As others have said, the team will learn a lot from the 4th quarter fade-out.

They should have been aware that the Dogs were going to throw the proverbial kitchen sink at them to snatch a win in this sudden-death final - by any measure the Dogs had a much more experienced and talented team out there as well as a bloody good coach.

Jack Steele was surprisingly below his best, but the defenders were awesome which was just as well as the Dogs appeared to me to be transitioning the ball much better than our boys for most of the game.

A great win and next week "anything is possible"....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist