Will Cotchin and Lynch be out of the finals?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kell
Club Player

Will Cotchin and Lynch be out of the finals?

My reading of the rules

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/docume ... elines.pdf

Ref page 6

In my view (conservative) the incidents below should be assessed by the MRO

Lynch - Punch to the back of Paton's head. Striking + Careless + High + High = 2 matches
Lynch - Knee to Howard. Kneeing + Intentional+ High + Low = 1 matches
Cotchin - Head high tackle on Jones - Rough Conduct/ Unreasonable or Unnecessary Contact to the Face. Intentional + Medium + High = 2 matches

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Cotchin and Lynch be out of the finals?

I would have just preferred the correct umpiring decisions. Not one act was penalised it cost us 18 points in total. No idea why umpires chose to ignore these blatant infringements.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Lynch's was just nasty/unnecessary and maybe a week?
That Cotchin tackle was reckless and could have broken a neck - he not only caught Jones high, he then forcibly dragged/hurled him to the ground by his neck.
That smug look on his face following that tackle should be erased/punished for at least 2 weeks ... maybe they should double his penalty with that (smug/grinning) look in mind.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 8:44am Lynch's was just nasty/unnecessary and maybe a week?
That Cotchin tackle was reckless and could have broken a neck - he not only caught Jones high, he then forcibly dragged/hurled him to the ground by his neck.
That smug look on his face following that tackle should be erased/punished for at least 2 weeks ... maybe they should double his penalty with that (smug/grinning) look in mind.
And why no 50m penalty?

portosaint
Club Player

"The potential to cause injury" in the Cotchin incident should be taken into account, should it not?

But this is the AFL in real life... We already know the outcomes.

beebarry
Club Player

I know there isnt much to be gained by pushing and shoving, but it really showed a lack of gumption that NO ONE other than Geary flew the flag for Cotchins thuggish dog act, and Gears then got Dusty and a couple of others instantly around him. Just said it all really. This was a semi final and a chance for us to really make a statement and we did nothing. We need to get tougher and resolve to NEVER let Richmond in particular manhandle and physically intimidate us again. ever. Hopefully the leadership at the club see this. I dont want to be a team of sniping dirty mongrels like Richmond, but we have enough guys who should be able to fly the flag in the face of that kind of rubbish ....Cotchin is a protected species and flattening him in response would probably have reversed the free, but we missed the goal anyway so it would be have been totally worth it. ...the way we lost - missing gettable goals, some terrible umpiring and letting Richmond play their brand without a physical response....is what is burning in my guts this morning .....I hope Port smash them next week, wipe that smug look off them - Cotchin, Martin, Hardwick, Lynch .....4 of the most punchable faces in football ...

ok Im going back to bed to calm the hell down .....

well done anyway Saints ......recruit well, train hard, get better and get some mongrel and we will give next year a shake ......

ace
Saintsational Legend

Only way they will miss any finals is when they lose to Port Adelaide.

How is it possible that I could want to see a S.A. team beat a Vic team.
But then Richmond are not worthy of being supported.

Can't wait until three years after retirement Dusty is permanently exported to join his crim dad.
O.K. so he has dual citizenship but would be nice to change his birth certificate to Kiwi only.
Last edited by ace on Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Both were infinitely worse than Long's. If we want to play the "what if" game & "the look for the game", both will not only miss next Friday but round 1 2021.

Cotchin's wife should be booking herself a spa treatment as we speak - no need for hub restrictions for them.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:19am Both were infinitely worse than Long's. If we want to play the "what if" game & "the look for the game", both will not only miss next Friday but round 1 2021.

Cotchin's wife should be booking herself a spa treatment as we speak - no need for hub restrictions for them.
She would need plenty of spa treatments if he does not discriminate with who he thugs.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:19am Both were infinitely worse than Long's. If we want to play the "what if" game & "the look for the game", both will not only miss next Friday but round 1 2021.

Breaks rules and posts about it on Insta then complains that they have been hard done by.

They must be such tools.

Sorry, back on topic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Of course not. Only hope is the karma train. Like a clumsy Dixon barrels Cotchin and Jonas gets Lynch before he has a chance to knee, elbow and punch Port players. Everyone knows its coming and its a knock out final so go for it Port, umps are suffering rule amnesia at the moment. And there are always dicky Richmond hammys and groins that the footy gods could ping if it amused them.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Post this far and wide.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If this is not a dog act, what is!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

That nasty turd also brought Jones down on his knee. Jones obviously had a hurt back as a result. f****** dirty arsehole.

I would use the c word to describe that dropkick if only I could.

Josh Battle
Club Player

Yep. I can definitely see a Tiger ‘Claw’

Did you mean another four letter c word?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:04am That nasty turd also brought Jones down on his knee. Jones obviously had a hurt back as a result. f****** dirty arsehole.

Well you c***. The mods would be all over it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 12:51pm
saynta wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:04am That nasty turd also brought Jones down on his knee. Jones obviously had a hurt back as a result. f****** dirty arsehole.

Well you c***. The mods would be all over it.
Tell me about it.

Was fine with the ban but would have been nice to have been told.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Nothing will happen to either of them.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Nothing will happen to either of them that they don’t deserve.

kell
Club Player

Cameron Ling and Adam Ramanauskasascus talking on Grandstand ABC suggesting "its a tough game", "great clubs" "push the envelope"and as such the MRO are not going to rub Cotchin or Lynch out leading into a final. This attitude and view is troubling and disappointing on so many levels.

First, it is inferring that there is set of rules for the home and away rounds and another for finals.
Second, it is encouraging players to break the rules ie break the rules and see if you can get away with it and "you will be great"...(sanctioned Hardwick)
Third, it smacks of "the good old days" when you could rip somebody's head off and drop the knee in and you were regarded as "tough".

These attitudes permeated The Footy Show. Thankfully, that nonsense was dragged off to the wrecking yard. I suggest The ABC should clear the playing list on Grandstand to the same extent as North Melbourne.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 8:44am .........
That smug look on his face following that tackle should be......
....punched!

I don’t endorse violence of anytime.

This view does not represent the views of Saintsational, it’s members or sponsors...etc.

Fair flat lemonade....

That look he gave Gears....like, ‘what?’ ‘what are you talking about?”

Sniper and bully book page one.

The faraway look Lynch has an enviable badass look - he does affect the Clint Eastwood stare pretty well. Looks a bit Toby Green.

Which is why his true expression will be revealed next time we rub his nose in the mud, as will happen next time we play and he gets a bit of his own medicine.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
happy feet
Club Player

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-c ... 1ef5b6dc6a

The AFL monitor social media, so spread this story around to as many channels as you can.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

bigred wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 1:07pm Nothing will happen to either of them.
Exactly.

Faux hard men like Lynch have come about by the AFL cracking down on the knuckle, pretty much since Terry Daniher copped 11 weeks in the 1990 grand final. We knew the age of the knuckle days had come to an end when Stevie Baker copped time for whacking Johnson's broken hand. Fair enough if he had just injured it, more fool him for choosing to play when unfit for duty.

Football, by nature, is a combative sport. If you are not prepared to cop plenty of hard body contact, perhaps computer games are the direction your sporting ambition should take. With the hard whack gone the way of the drop kick comes the rise of the dog act. Tom Lynch, apart from his huge frame and exceptional ability, is a master when it comes to inflicting dog acts. The sort of stuff that was illegal but still happened on World Championship Wrestling. Jack Little and all the viewers could see it happening but the referee standing less than a metre away cannot. We saw it last night with our own eyes.

The two dog acts Lynch commited on Dougal Howard after he gave away a free kick are reportable offence but the AFL and it's compliant media will do nothing. Rather than get up and stand the mark, Lynch chose to park his arse on Howard's head. When told to get up by the umpire, he deliberately moved his knee to the left before plonking it vertically on Howard's collar bone. Real new age hard man and tough guy stuff!

There is only one way to get rid of this crap. Last night we needed not Dougal Howard but someone with more of the Kevin "Cowboy" Neale ethos playing on Lynch. Had Lynch tried these tactics on him he would be waking up about now in the John Hunter Hospital crying for his Mummy to give him his hanky!

Saint supporter since '62
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Cotchin was allowed to play grand final after breaking a GWS players jaw in the 2017 prelim. Nothing will happen.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."